Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

April comic book thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not talking about 52, though. I'm just referring to Infinite Crisis and OYL. Whatever caused Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman to disappear from the public eye for a year happened in IC, which only has 2 issues left... so would it have been that hard to wait?
Old 04-05-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But again, thats the point...It keeps us reading and talking about what the hell could have happened. We all have ideas, but were not sure. I like that it is not all so easily spelled out for us. Gives a little anticipation and excitement for the titles. This way even if some of the stories arent the best, at least we have an expectation factor just to see what happened. Its really the only reason for example, that I continue with Nightwing, because the last issues was pretty bad.
Old 04-05-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
To me, that Essential Godzilla is the new Bible. A great time capsule to the Marvel of that time. I use to collect Godzilla, The Micronauts & Shogun Warriors. Anything that had a toy connected to it (sue me, I was like 8 years old at the time). It's a fun read.

Cheese Factor = 100!
My order comes today with 2 Essential Godzillas! One for me & one for my sons. I too loved the big G, Micronauts & Shogun Warriors. Micronauts was especially good and has to be the best handled toy comic in history. Bill Mantlo's story-line was top notch and the art by Michael Golden...couldn't get better. I'd love to see an oversized hc of the first 12 issues of Micronauts!

And speaking of Golden, I definitely want to see an Essential Nam! I was never a fan of Golden's coloring, especially on the Nam, so seeing it in B&W would be great.
Old 04-05-06, 08:24 AM

Has anyone been reading the Marvel Romance Redux series, where they take the art from old Marvel romance comics from the '60s, and completely rewrite the dialogue & captions? It's absolutely hilarious! I couldn't care less about House of M or that Civil War thing, but between Defenders, Dead Girl and this title, Marvel has been doing a pretty nice job with more offbeat/humor comics.

Someone scanned one of the 7-page stories. Check it out here:
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1...pper0010xk.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8...pper0027qp.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3...pper0036my.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4...pper0043xc.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5...pper0057xr.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7...pper0066us.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4...pper0077pk.jpg
Old 04-05-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by ytrez
My order comes today with 2 Essential Godzillas! One for me & one for my sons. I too loved the big G, Micronauts & Shogun Warriors. Micronauts was especially good and has to be the best handled toy comic in history. Bill Mantlo's story-line was top notch and the art by Michael Golden...couldn't get better. I'd love to see an oversized hc of the first 12 issues of Micronauts!
I think the Micronauts are held up in licensing hell, much like ROM the Space Knight (and I can only assume, Shogun Warriors, which are actually three separate Japanese licenses). In their subsequent appearances, they've all but eliminated any mention of "micronauts," as well as the toy based Acroyear, Space Glider, and perhaps even Baron Karza (much like the Space Knights mini a few years ago couldn't mention or show ROM at all).

I think Larry Hama's GI Joe would beg to argue about that "best handled toy comic in history" line. But I agree, Micronauts was awesome.
Old 04-05-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, in this month's previews is Marvels Civil War and Civil War: Front Line minis? Marvels major event and they have two direct minis tied to it? That must be something new.

I'm not getting the second one, however.
Old 04-05-06, 02:12 PM

Pretty good OYL day for me today when I head to the store. We get a look at the second issues of OYL in Aquaman, JSA, and Outsiders. I can't wait to read the Teen Titans one too. It seems like Superboy is gone, but I hope not. I hope my store has the Benes variant for the Teen Titans issue, it looks good.
Old 04-05-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
So, in this month's previews is Marvels Civil War and Civil War: Front Line minis? Marvels major event and they have two direct minis tied to it? That must be something new.

I'm not getting the second one, however.
Y'know I was jazzed about Civil War as it sounds like a pretty cool concept, but now that it's here...I dunno. I have the Illuminati special to read, but I don't have the urge to get into it. Maybe I feel that way because Infinite Crisis, OYL, and 52 are all still very much here (I won't front - I like crossovers in general, even if they end up stinking more times than not). I think I might just wait and pick up the trade of the major story on this one and just skip everything else. Maybe.

On the other hand I just finished reading the last 4 issues of Walking Dead, and that book is still fantastic. All these issues later and I still don't like the art, but the story is strong enough to keep me around. The art is good enough, but so many of the women are drawn the same that I still have trouble telling who is who. The latest twist wasn't as cool as some of the past ones, but I think it should be fun to see them wiggle out of it.

Now to catch up on Invincible. I'm only 10 or so issues behind.

Last edited by boredsilly; 04-05-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've heard complaints about Illuminati, but I just read it today and enjoyed the historical references how they came to meet. I'm liking everything so far with Civil War. I'll be getting the main series and Frontline.

I also read First Family #1. Found it fairly blah and the art even worse. Do we need another origin retelling?
Old 04-05-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Illuminatti was so-so...Its really the only thing I have read on Civil War to this point. I dont know how others feel, but I really liked Infinite Crisis 6. Now, I'm pretty excited to see how everything ends.
Old 04-05-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Infinite Crisis #6 was...Interesting, to say the least.
Old 04-05-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heck, I haven't even read #5 yet....just got it in the mail. I'm so behind....
Old 04-05-06, 10:28 PM
Cool New Member

Through Infinite Crisis, I have mainly stuck with the main DC titles (Supes, the Bat books, WW, Flash, JLA, JSA) and not branched out into the others. I figured OYL would be a great jumping on point, and am having fun going through these titles I normally don't read. Initial thoughts on what I've read thus far (which isn't much)....

Robin - I expected to hate this comic (because I don't really dig the character), but I liked it. It didn't seem to be too hard for an outsider to pick-up, although I have no idea what is being referenced when Robin mentions
Spoiler:
the Nightwing incident

Nightwing - Liked this one too, but I've also liked the whole Jason Todd return thing.

Outsiders - Didn't like it at all. Spent over half the comic establishing
Spoiler:
that Thunder was undercover
. I don't know the character, so perhaps I'm wrong on this, but did that much of the comic need to be devoted to establishing that piece of information? I'll give it through this current order (June) but then I'll probably redrop it.

By the way, what's the deal going on with the Incredible Hulk? I couldn't find one to order for June, just a Giant Size Hulk #1. Are they doing a re-number?
Old 04-06-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the ending to Action Comics #837. I would love to have that be the direction of OYL until the gaps are filled in.
Old 04-06-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally got Batman Annual #25. What did everyone think? Was that an acceptable way for JT to return? I thought it was a bit hokey, but acceptable.
Old 04-06-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and the announcement in the latest issue of New Avengers:
Spoiler:
Coming soon: New Avengers Disassembled!

Old 04-06-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way, what's the deal going on with the Incredible Hulk? I couldn't find one to order for June, just a Giant Size Hulk #1. Are they doing a re-number?
Nope its not doing a renumber. The Planet Hulk epic saga is split into multi-part chapters:

EXILE: #92-95 (PART ONE/feb-may)
INTERLUDE: Giant Size Special #1 (june)
ANARCHY: #96-99 (PART TWO/july-oct)
ALLEGIANCE: #100-103 (PART THREE/nov-feb 2007)
ARMAGEDDON: #104-105 (FINALE/march-april 2007)

I am absolutely loving Planet hulk so far, and I was just about to drop the book all together. Glad i stuck around.
:
Old 04-06-06, 11:11 AM

Finally got Batman Annual #25. What did everyone think? Was that an acceptable way for JT to return? I thought it was a bit hokey, but acceptable.
Yeah, that's how I feel too. I wish they had come up with something better than Superboy punching some "continuity wall" or whatever that was, but eh, as a catch-all fix for all of DC's continuity problems, it's good enough for me. I can buy the idea that Jason wasn't meant to die. It's a cheap way out, but I can live with it.
Old 04-06-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by areacode212
Yeah, that's how I feel too. I wish they had come up with something better than Superboy punching some "continuity wall" or whatever that was, but eh, as a catch-all fix for all of DC's continuity problems, it's good enough for me. I can buy the idea that Jason wasn't meant to die. It's a cheap way out, but I can live with it.
Darnit, the fans voted him dead, he was meant to die!!!
Old 04-06-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the biggest headache from reading Infinite Crisis #6 yesterday. I pitied the artists who had to cram 20+ panels into a 2-page spreads, etc.
Old 04-06-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Enjoyed Infinite Crisis #6 yesterday. Does anyone think it should have been 10-12 issues though? Seems like a lot of stuff is left out. Maybe I'm too used to Bendis' decompression.

And any idea when Blue Beetle #1 happens? Right after IC #6 maybe?
Old 04-06-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It should take place right after Crisis. Guy goes to look for the new blue beetle after Booster ask or something and the whole scarab makes his power go crazy or something.
Old 04-06-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Enjoyed Infinite Crisis #6 yesterday. Does anyone think it should have been 10-12 issues though? Seems like a lot of stuff is left out. Maybe I'm too used to Bendis' decompression.

And any idea when Blue Beetle #1 happens? Right after IC #6 maybe?
I think since #1 is a retelling of how Reyes came in contact with the scarab, that would place it in the same timeframe as Infinite Crisis #3. By #5, Booster had found Reyes and was introducing him to Batman. During that introduction, some of Reyes' Beetle powers had already manifested. So placing Blue Beetle #1 after Crisis doesn't work for me, for some reason.

According to DC's website, Blue Beetle #2
Spoiler:
takes place right after Infinite Crisis. So I'd assume that the One Year Later jump for Blue Beetle will occur later than the other DC Universe titles. They could correspond that jump with the relaunched Wonder Woman and [/i]The Flash[/i] books.

Last edited by DGibFen; 04-06-06 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Looks like there's an IC hardcover scheduled for 8/2
Old 04-06-06, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
I think since #1 is a retelling of how Reyes came in contact with the scarab, that would place it in the same timeframe as Infinite Crisis #3. By #5, Booster had found Reyes and was introducing him to Batman. During that introduction, some of Reyes' Beetle powers had already manifested. So placing Blue Beetle #1 after Crisis doesn't work for me, for some reason.

According to DC's website, Blue Beetle #2
Spoiler:
takes place right after Infinite Crisis. So I'd assume that the One Year Later jump for Blue Beetle will occur later than the other DC Universe titles. They could correspond that jump with the relaunched Wonder Woman and [/i]The Flash[/i] books.
Well, there are 2 stories being told in Blue Beetle #1--the "flashback" scenes where he first gets the scarab (which could take place around IC #3), and the "current day" scenes where he gets attacked by Guy. In the "current day" scenes, he mentions helping to defeat Brother Eye in space, so I think this takes place directly after IC #6.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.