Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

FROM DWNEWS:

North American Doctor Who fans may be able to purchase The Underwater Menace in the new year.

Tvshowsondvd.com has reported that it will be on sale January 19, 2016. The BBC has not yet confirmed the date. No cover art or special features for the R1 version have been announced yet
Old 11-21-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I guess I'm going to have to accept the telesnap recons instead of animation. I've held off buying Web of Fear for that reason.
Old 11-21-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I think the animated reconstructions are dead.

Unless some motivated and creative individuals decide to start making recons and posting them online, that's it.
Old 11-30-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eqP-WsaHlOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-30-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Eh.
Old 12-03-15, 03:42 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

BBC titles are half off at Barnes and Noble right now, so now's the best time to grab any titles you're lacking.

Granted I am on the fence about upgrading some of the older discs to the newer special editions, and I think that would only be Vengeance on Varos and The Green Death.
Old 12-21-15, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who Complete Season 9 box set release and extras announced

The latest season of Doctor Who is now available to pre-order as a complete box set.

The complete ninth season will be released on Monday 7 March next year on DVD and Blu-ray.

The set will contain all 12 episodes from Peter Capaldi’s second season as the Doctor, plus 2014’s Christmas special ‘Last Christmas’ and this year’s festive episode ‘The Husbands of River Song’, with more than four hours’ worth of bonus features.

Extras will include:

Commentaries

On ‘Under the Lake’ and ‘Before the Flood’ (with actor Sophie Stone, writer Toby Whithouse, producer Derek Ritchie), ‘The Woman Who Lived ‘ with (actor Maisie Williams, producer Derek Ritchie) and ‘Sleep No More’ (with actor Reece Shearsmith, writer Mark Gatiss).

Season 9’s US prequel ‘The Doctor’s Meditation’

Deleted scenes

Season 8 recap

All the Season 9 trailers

Season 9 prologue

2015 San Diego Comic Con Panel

An interview with Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman hosted by Wil Wheaton

Doctor Who Extra: The Magician’s Apprentice & The Witch’s Familiar

Peter Capaldi reveals all, and shows off his guitar riffs, as we get the inside story on this stunning two-parter. Featuring additional interviews with Michelle Gomez and Steven Moffat.

Doctor Who Extra: Under the Lake & Before the Flood

Go backstage and meet some very ghastly monsters! Discover the secret of a special celebrity appearance as Paul Kaye welcomes us on location, and we reveal how to make a big splash on set. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, writer Toby Whithouse and production designer Michael Pickwoad.

Doctor Who Extra: The Girl Who Died & The Woman Who Lived

Maisie Williams talks about crossing fandoms, celebrates her birthday with an impromptu quiz, and generally everyone has a lot of fun, as Rufus Hound gives us a unique view of what it’s like to make Doctor Who. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi and Maisie Williams.

Doctor Who Extra: The Zygon Invasion & The Zygon Inversion

The Zygons are back! We discover how a Zygon keeps fit, and Ingrid Oliver tells of her delight at once more playing the Doctor’s biggest fan, Osgood! Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Ingrid Oliver.

Doctor Who Extra: Sleep No More

Mark Gatiss reveals the story behind the horror, Reece Shearsmith reviews the importance of space glasses, and we look at the challenges of making this unique episode. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat.

Doctor Who Extra: Face the Raven

Joivan Wade (Rigsy) is shocked to be back, but he’s not the only character to return for this unforgettable adventure, as we discover the perils of thinking you are invincible. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat.

Doctor Who Extra: Heaven Sent & Hell Bent

Steven Moffat and director Rachel Talalay reveal the challenges of creating the puzzle-box that is Heaven Sent, we get wind-blown in Fuerteventura, and we witness the departure of a companion as we go on set for Jenna Coleman’s last day of filming. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, Steven Moffat and Rachel Talalay.

Doctor Who Extra: The Husbands of River Song

Matt Lucas is our guide as we join River Song, the Doctor and a star-liner full of supervillains for this festive Christmas special. We get the heads-up on the Hydroflax from Greg Davies, reveal Alex Kingston’s favourite Sonic, and we find out what Peter Capaldi is getting for Christmas. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Alex Kingston, and Steven Moffat.

Writing Who documentary

The definitive guide for a would-be Doctor Who scriptwriter. We follow Sarah Dollard on her intricate journey to create her episode, Trap Street. From the highs of pitching her original idea to Steven Moffat, to the challenges of writing her first draft – faced with a blank page and typing Int. TARDIS Day – to seeing her episode becoming reality.

Dalek Devotion documentary

Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat reveal the inspiration for the return of the Daleks to the incredible season opener of series 9, how their earliest memories have shaped their devotion to the ultimate killing machine, and the journey to the Dalek homeland of Skaro.

The Adventures of River Song documentary

Join Alex Kingston and Steven Moffat as we look forward to River’s return in The Husbands of River Song. Find out how River’s character came to be created, why Alex just had to play the role, what happened when the cast discovered who River really is. Narrated by Nina Toussaint-White.

Doctor Who: Sublime Online documentary

A video selection box of the funniest, most insightful and engaging online treats from behind the scenes of Series 9. With interviews and magical moments from Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat, and featuring a host of guest stars, including Maisie Williams, Michelle Gomez, Rufus Hound, Ingrid Oliver and Slipknot.

Clara’s Journey documentary

In 2012, Jenna Coleman joined Doctor Who and took her place in television history as the Doctor’s newest companion, Clara Oswald. Having become the longest serving companion since the revival of the show, Clara’s time on the TARDIS has now come to an end, so we can now look back at just what made the Impossible Girl, well, possible. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman. Narrated by Colin McFarlane.

The Fan Show’s Finest documentary

Christel Dee gives a whistle-stop guide to Doctor Who: The Fan Show the online series that celebrates Doctor Who and the amazing creativity of the show’s fans. We get a peek inside Steven Moffat’s writing lair, take a look into the Old Monster’s Retirement Home and step into the amazing world of Minecraft to find out how fans are celebrating their love for the show online. We even get face to face with the Doctor and Missy to ask them all the questions the fans want to know.
Old 12-21-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good to know it has both Christmas specials. There was some concern that they were going to stop including them on the season sets after The Time of the Doctor was sort of orphaned and Last Christmas wasn't on the Season 8 set.
Old 12-21-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a feeling they were going to go this route. They didn't include Time of the Doctor with the Series 8 set because it was a Matt Smith story and Last Christmas was released after the Series 8 box set came out (December 9th). I'm more surprised that they're including this year's X-Mas story with the set.
Old 01-25-16, 02:37 PM

The OOP thread is listing The Sensorites now. So if you're lacking it you might want to jump on it before it gets expensive.
Old 01-25-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered it from Amazon to be safe. Currently 14 in stock.
Old 01-26-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I hate to be one of *those* people, but I wonder if I should buy one to save and later trade for one of the OOP titles I need (like The War Games).

Why are these still OOP?
Old 01-26-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not enough market in the US for older Who episodes. I'm surprised that some dropped out of print so soon after release while older releases haven't.
Old 01-26-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Not enough market in the US for older Who episodes. I'm surprised that some dropped out of print so soon after release while older releases haven't.
Maybe they have a lot of stock still sitting in a warehouse.

If the older releases had a high print run that outstripped demand they started reducing the print runs of subsequent releases, and those go out of print sooner.

I also notice that none of the Tom Bakers seem to be OOP, so they might keep those in print.

They needto start doing season sets. It's ridiculous that they have 120+ individual releases for one decades-old television program.
Old 01-27-16, 11:19 AM

I don't think that there will ever be season sets due to how the market for the classic show is. As popular as the current show is it doesn't seem to cause any of the people that like it to watch the older show. And the fans of the old show probably either have the serials they want or don't care to own them now.
Old 01-27-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
I don't think that there will ever be season sets due to how the market for the classic show is. As popular as the current show is it doesn't seem to cause any of the people that like it to watch the older show. And the fans of the old show probably either have the serials they want or don't care to own them now.
Not to mention some of the seasons are incomplete.

They packaged seasons 16 & 23 as season sets, but mainly because they had an overall season arc: The Key to Time and Trial of a Time Lord.
Old 01-27-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe most of the stuff that's OOP in the US is still available in the UK. For example, The War Games is on Amazon.uk for less than eight pounds.

Plus, the UK packaging is spiffier. Most of my collection are US releases I picked up used or on the cheap, but I would love to swap them all out for the UK versions. (Well, I might hold on to my copy of The Two Doctors for completion's sake.)
Old 01-27-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Preterite
I believe most of the stuff that's OOP in the US is still available in the UK. For example, The War Games is on Amazon.uk for less than eight pounds.
I believe everything is in print in the UK, since they have consistent demand. However, importing them into the US requires additional shipping costs and a region-free DVD player that can also convert PAL to NTSC. It also affects the resale value, since R2 PAL DVDs are not in high demand in the US.

If someone really wants all of Doctor Who on DVD, the UK DVDs are an option, but depending on the situation, they may not be ideal.
Old 01-27-16, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They packaged seasons 16 & 23 as season sets, but mainly because they had an overall season arc: The Key to Time and Trial of a Time Lord.
I almost mentioned those as an exception in my post saying that they wouldn't do season sets. Those are odd ducks due to those being one arc over the course of the season, and releasing those serials together makes sense in the same way as the Dalek War, E-Space Trilogy, and the New Beginnings sets.

But really I can't imagine that there would be a huge market for the individual seasons. The current releases only sell to a small market and it's not like some new fan is going to want to pick up a random season of the Hartnell or Pertwee years, especially since I wouldn't expect the BBC to sell them for a reasonable price.
Old 01-27-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
But really I can't imagine that there would be a huge market for the individual seasons. The current releases only sell to a small market and it's not like some new fan is going to want to pick up a random season of the Hartnell or Pertwee years, especially since I wouldn't expect the BBC to sell them for a reasonable price.
Yeah, if they sold complete seasons at prices equivalent to what other shows sell seasons at, they might be able to sell them, but they may make less money than the method they're using now.

It would be funny to see seasons 1-6 pack all of their available episodes into a set marketed as something like "Doctor Who Classic: The Incomplete Season 1".
Old 01-27-16, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I believe everything is in print in the UK, since they have consistent demand. However, importing them into the US requires additional shipping costs and a region-free DVD player that can also convert PAL to NTSC. It also affects the resale value, since R2 PAL DVDs are not in high demand in the US.

Yes, all releases have remained in-print in the UK. The only one that was withdrawn was The Two Doctors, so they could re-release it minus the Jimmy Saville "Jim'll Fix It: A Fix With Sontarans" (in reaction to the revelations of his sex abuse in the meantime).

If someone really wants all of Doctor Who on DVD, the UK DVDs are an option, but depending on the situation, they may not be ideal.
If you have the right equipment, the cost-of-ownership of classic Doctor Who is much less expensive if you opt for Region 2. The new releases were always much slower to price-drop in the US, and now that many have gone OOP, the cost of acquiring those versus the dirt-cheap R2s is a no-brainer.

As you say, resale value here of R2s is low, but if you're a fan who has the intention of keeping them, then one should go ahead!

If you're like me and have a multi-system TV, and a region-free player that can output a PAL signal, you're much better off anyway as you have a (slightly) higher-resolution image that is much closer to the original master tapes than the US releases (which had to be standards-converted to NTSC).

Wish I'd held onto my old R1 Two Doctors a bit longer, so I could've gotten a lot more for it on the second-hand market, though!
Old 01-28-16, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have the right equipment, the cost-of-ownership of classic Doctor Who is much less expensive if you opt for Region 2. The new releases were always much slower to price-drop in the US, and now that many have gone OOP, the cost of acquiring those versus the dirt-cheap R2s is a no-brainer.
A few months ago I had 'an offer I couldn't refuse' for my R1 The War Games set (250$!) and decided to sell it and the next day ordered the UK version (for 8$!) as I have a region-free player. I'm not the obsessive collector type that needs all spines to be exactly the same - the UK ones are grey and clashes with the rest of my R1 spines - so that wasn't a problem. The only thing I miss is the possibility of playing it on other DVD players in the house, like when I watch some DW episodes on my laptop in bed before lights out. A very small concession to make for a good deal of - needed - money!
I'm also on the mind that they won't do season sets for the old series as the BBC are definitely moving towards downloadable episodes from their online site. So R1 seasons would be a waste of money for them. Unfortunately for those of us who still like having physical products in our hands.
My concern is that if some missing episodes ever turn up in a few years they would only get an online release and I wouldn't be able to put them in my collection as DVDs.
Old 01-28-16, 09:20 AM

I am lucky that I had all of the OOP releases before they stopped production on them, but if I was to start buying classic Who now I'd go for the region 2 releases rather than the US discs. At least for the OOP serials. And then there's the cool random releases that are UK only, like the Fourth Doctor Time Capsule set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-4...+of+the+zygons

Something like that would never be released in the states, and part of me regrets not ordering it when it came out.
Old 01-28-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hadn't heard of that 4th Doctor set. Here is a working link (I guess the one flansered posted has gone oop so is not working anymore)

https://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=3609

Cool things, but a lot of money for only one DVD story (Zygons). Still, I guess it's a nice collector item.
Old 01-29-16, 01:46 PM

That's weird, I tried to link to an Amazon UK page, but it is showing a link to some Hive website that I have never heard of. And as I am typing this, my post in the Topic Review section shows the correct Amazon UK web address.

I think that the set was a more reasonable price when it came out, closer to like £25 maybe?

ETA: it's back to Amazon UK. again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.