Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Yeah. I just finished reading that and was about to post it here. It would make a lot of sense if true. And it's been going on behind the scenes for YEARS.

If it is true, it's very sad that we'll never really know what's actually out there in Africa and if the quality is worth all this fuss.

As for the rest sitting in supposed limbo (like Marco Polo), Doctor Who has become a victim of it's own popularity. People know how much the IP is worth and now want their cut.
Old 11-12-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

It does make me wonder just how much is out in the wild. Is there really a treasure trove of missing episodes out there somewhere? Has Morris actually seen it for himself, or does he just believe it exists? And if it does exist, what condition is it in?

It's disheartening to think that there could be a complete run of Hartnell/Troughton Doctor Who slowly deteriorating in a warehouse somewhere while everyone fights over money.
Old 11-12-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Morris believes these copies exist and are of better quality than are currently available. And they're apparently in Africa along with several other BBC shows that were long thought missing. The fact that he's starting to pay back the money the BBC gave him doesn't really fill me with confidence anymore.

I'm going to guess that it didn't help when over-zealous Doctor Who fans started calling all these forgotten television stations to ask if they had any missing Doctor Who stories and if they did have some, they could be worth a lot of money!

And there are still Doctor Who canisters out there. Ian Levine found a few more earlier this year (or late last year). Unfortunately, they were stories that the BBC already had.

FUCK! I want to see Marco Polo!
Old 11-12-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some of the stuff in that e-mail seems a little fishy. Episodes without audio shouldn't be a problem since they already have the audio tracks for all of the missing episodes.

And could an actor or their estate really hold up a release? It doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past, so it would seem the paperwork is all in order. Or could it be some kind of deal with a guest star in Marco Polo who wasn't cleared? Sort of like those rumors about the old Batman series and its cameos.

Or could there be some kind of technicality that someone like the Hartnell estate could invoke to trigger a contract renegotiation?
Old 11-12-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Restoration Team has said in the past that if a missing episode were found, there would be no rights issue to hold it from being released. From what I've read, all that was taken care of when they started to release the missing episodes on audio. So that part of the story should be false. Even if someone were to attempt to get more money, wouldn't we have heard something by now on that end? "Hartnell heirs fight BBC and holds up release of Marco Polo." This is the first I've seen it mentioned.

I guess we're back to hoping.
Old 11-12-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Damn, damn, damn.

I was just starting to really wonder about this too, weird about the rights issues. How can actors hold up old episodes anyways?

The BBC could at least put some of the hard to find DVDs back into print, I'm not eager to pay upwards of $100 for some of those stories.
Old 11-13-14, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the stuff in that e-mail seems a little fishy.
Just some? I'd say almost 100% of that sounds like crap, especially the bit about "episodes missing the soundtrack". Helllllo, the soundtrack for every missing episode has existed for years, and would be quite simple to match up to a soundless print. Also, the thing about holding out for "better quality" copies of something like Power or DMP sounds ridiculous, too. We all know the BBC wouldn't be able to resist releasing the less-than-great ones first, then getting everyone to double-dip on an upgrade.

[quoute]I was just starting to really wonder about this too, weird about the rights issues. How can actors hold up old episodes anyways? [/quote]

That may have been true in the '70s and '80s, but the Equity rules have changed years ago.

This is so much a non-story.
Old 12-03-14, 12:12 PM

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

For anyone interested, the 50% BBC sale has started at Barnes and Noble. I'm caught up at the moment, but I'll probably use a 20% coupon and order the Spearhead bluray.
Old 12-03-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, I sat out the Criterion sale (still working through my previous haul), was hoping this would come around. I don't see the date on the website, any idea how long it lasts?

thanks
Old 12-03-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I may be in for Spearhead on Blu.
Old 12-04-14, 03:54 PM

According to Bluray,com the sale goes to 12/15.
Old 12-04-14, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hoping that season 8 gets discounted by 50% since its released date fits within that range. An additional 20% off coupon on top would make it an automatic purchase for me.
Old 12-04-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would be great! I have a $20 Barnes & Noble gift card on top of that. Fingers crossed now.
Old 12-11-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I grabbed this Monday night. My total was $16 bucks!
Old 12-13-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was able to snag the Eighth Series for $32.09 online. Couldn't pass it up at that price. Now I'm just missing a few Classic Who releases and I'll have everything. Still bummed a few of the ones I need are OOP...
Old 12-24-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts

Is this the thread where discussions about the audio adventures go?

Humble Bundle is doing a deal for some of the audio adventures. Pay what you want for Dalek Empire 1 & 2 downloads:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

The "audiobooks" come in both mp3 and WAV file formats.
Old 01-05-15, 02:31 PM

$15 bucks for the first "season" the Colin Baker lost adventures is a steal. The digital versions for each serial is $13 each on Big Finish's website.
Old 03-25-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

News of a compilation disc:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...Cybermen/20886

BC Home Entertainment has provided the above description of their upcoming May 19th release of Doctor Who - The Cybermen on DVD. As we first reported a few weeks ago, this will be a 2-disc set priced at $24.98 SRP (cost in Canada will be CA$30.98 SRP). It will be available in DVD only, with no Blu-ray format version available.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...#ixzz3VPUFktDy
Mostly nuWho but with one Peter Davison story.

Just realized that Earthshock is OOP, so very nice to see it here.

============================================

I also wanted to ask a question of the other collectors, I used to frequently find used Classic Who discs at the used DVD and book stores where I live but it seems to have dried up lately. Has anybody else noticed this where you live? I got my classic Who start when I found a dozen or so used discs of various Doctors at a used shop a few years ago.
Old 03-25-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not really sure what the point of that "Cybermen" compilation set is. Six episodes of nuWho that everyone probably already has, a new twenty minute documentary, and Earthshock.

Seems like a waste of money and effort, but then again, it seems like all BBC does is repackage and re-release the same nuWho shit over and over again. Is anyone lining up to buy this?

I wonder if the "bonus" Earthshock will be the full disc (with commentary, deleted scenes, and documentary) that was previously released, or if it's going to be a new bare-bones pressing.
Old 03-25-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I also wanted to ask a question of the other collectors, I used to frequently find used Classic Who discs at the used DVD and book stores where I live but it seems to have dried up lately. Has anybody else noticed this where you live? I got my classic Who start when I found a dozen or so used discs of various Doctors at a used shop a few years ago.
I have never seen a used Doctor Who DVD at a store where I live. The selection of titles is generally awful; basically dump bin crap or worse.
Old 03-25-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might buy it for Earthshock since it's commanding crazy prices on the secondary market. I'd just slot it into the Davison part of my DVD shelf.

The used stores around me are pretty good. The majority of my whole DVD/Blu collection comes from used places.
Old 03-25-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past I've been pretty lucky finding used Who at reasonable prices, but these days it's usually cheaper to import from the UK. Plus the trade dress is a lot snazzier - I'd trade in my whole collection over in a heartbeat!

(Well, except for the Sontaran disc with the "Jim'll Fix It" episode.)
Old 04-01-15, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The only classic dvds that I have ever seen used was the first Spearhead from Space disc and the Key to Time set. I think that most of the people that are paying the high cost for the classic series already knows that they like the show, so there isn't a lot of turnover with used discs. Either that or they are dumping them on ebay like I did with the old Aztecs and Inferno discs after I got the special editions.
Old 05-30-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So...birthday weekend, wife wanted me to open this early because she was afraid I'd stumble over the box and see it anyways.

First row: Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee
Second row: T. Baker
Third row: Davison, C. Baker
Fourth Row: McCoy, Grant

This leaves only nine Classic Who DVDs that I need, the out of print ones.

I now have complete runs of Tom Baker, Colin Baker (and Richard E. Grant).

Edit: Just opened them all to check the discs: Terror of the Zygons is missing disc 1 (the swing arm is totally missing).

Last edited by milo bloom; 05-30-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-30-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your wife truly loves you. Congrats!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.