Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 06-25-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

The omni-rumor gets more-or-less taken behind the barn and shot:

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/dwm-ed...es-omnirumour/

revealed how Spilsbury suspected that “very unpredictable, rather unbalanced” missing episode hunter Philip Morris “deliberately gave the impression that he had a lot more missing episodes in order to use this as a negotiating position” pertaining to his 2013 return of Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear

Very disappointing. I had held out hope that at least a few more episodes were forthcoming.
Old 06-25-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Just more speculation.

The veracity of the omnirumour comes down to four possibilities:
1. Phil Morris is well-intentioned but overly optimistic.

2. Phil Morris is full of shit and either enjoys stringing people along or is angling to get more money.

3. Phil Morris is sitting on a cache of missing episodes, but won't release them until Moff is no longer the Doctor Who showrunner. (This one sounds crazy, but it's out there.)

4. Phil Morris has found a cache of Doctor Who episodes somewhere, but whoever controls them won't give them back.

Until Morris actually lays all of his cards down on the table, we won't know the truth.
Old 06-25-15, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Just more speculation.

The veracity of the omnirumour comes down to four possibilities:
1. Phil Morris is well-intentioned but overly optimistic.

2. Phil Morris is full of shit and either enjoys stringing people along or is angling to get more money.

3. Phil Morris is sitting on a cache of missing episodes, but won't release them until Moff is no longer the Doctor Who showrunner. (This one sounds crazy, but it's out there.)

4. Phil Morris has found a cache of Doctor Who episodes somewhere, but whoever controls them won't give them back.

Until Morris actually lays all of his cards down on the table, we won't know the truth.
I'm a long-time follower of the Missing Episodes Forum, and remember a time when Phil was a new member asking questions and people kept pooh-poohing his notion that maybe rather than just calling the foreign TV stations that someone should go there. Now, all this time later, he unearthed almost two complete stories (and presumably other non-Doctor Who stuff which I'd love to know about just as much).

I suspect of your four theories, 1 or 4 (or a little bit of both) sounds most likely. I don't think he's a nutter or a hoarder, but if he's at all cagey or "mysterious" with the fans, they've kind of brought it on themselves, as many of them have behaved very poorly towards him (including especially Ian Levine), and much of the name-calling and accusations were grossly undeserved.

This whole ugly underbelly of the OmniRumour sometimes makes me a bit ashamed to be a Doctor Who fan, as I certainly wouldn't want to be lumped with the sort of fan that has slagged Mr Morris off so viciously.

I never once believed in the Omni. It just all sounded "too good to be true" and there have been many, many hoaxes and false stories before. I figured it was either total fabrication, or a smaller-scale return (or just a lead) that got blown way of proportion (or someone trying to "wish" all those almost-100%-likely-destroyed Sierra Leonne prints back into existence).

Who knows, if Mr Morris had come along in the early '90s and had been in a position to do what he did this time around (or if someone had been as vigilant as he and actually went over there instead of making phone calls), perhaps all those old Hartnell episodes could have been liberated before they were (presumably) destroyed in the civil war, assuming they still existed at that time.
Old 07-06-15, 11:50 AM

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't buy into this at all. If the third party knows about the episodes that they have, then why don't they go straight to the BBC and bypass Morris? It's not like the BBC has to use him as a go through to get the old tapes back.

But really I don't think that there will ever not be any lost episodes of the classic show, and we should really be happy with what we've got and what has been found.
Old 07-06-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah. I think this dog has run it's course. I still believe that there are some missing episodes out there. Hidden under wrong labels or misplaced on a shelf but nowhere near the treasure trove that Morris semi-suggested. I am happy that he provided what we ended up with because it's very awesome to finally see Web of Fear & Enemy of the World. I just wish Marco Polo were part of those returns.
Old 07-07-15, 09:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Can I just add this; I'm two episodes into The Enemy of the World and it's fantastic.

I guess the question for the BBC is how much in the long run is it worth it to send someone around the world to physically comb the vaults? Financially does it make any sense or is the historic value worth it?
Old 07-07-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The current Who series has become a pretty big thing for them, but I don't know that they would think it worth it for the older episodes- especially black and white ones.
Old 07-07-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are some pretty decent recons of all of the missing episodes available online at dailymotion. (And also most or all of the classic episodes as well.)
Old 07-08-15, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I guess the question for the BBC is how much in the long run is it worth it to send someone around the world to physically comb the vaults? Financially does it make any sense or is the historic value worth it?
It isn't worth it to them. They didn't sent Phil Morris on his search, he sent himself, and he wasn't looking exclusively for Doctor Who, but for any missing British television. He also turned up (at the very least) missing material from Basil Brush and The Sky At Night.

All the BBC ever did over the decades was send letters and (maybe) phone people up. If they were told "we don't have anything", they just took them at their word. They didn't do a lot of legwork.

Phil Morris was ridiculed by many (including people who work in archive TV) when he even dared propose that maybe someone should physically check some of these places. Glad he didn't listen to them.
Old 08-12-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Went garage saling with my wife, and stopped by a Flea Market. Saw a few Who dvds on a table, and asked how much. ( 2 bucks a piece). I open them all up to check the disks, and without even looking at the titles I pay the man 16 dollars and head home.

Open my bag and start looking at my finds, and boom.... The Two Doctors
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2g...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-12-15, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 654 Likes on 438 Posts

Nice score!
Old 08-12-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool!
Old 09-02-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a bit of chatter out there that Underwater Menace has been scheduled for DVD release.

The Missing Eps forum thread:

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com...elease?page=17

And a curiously worded review on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/review...sort=rd&sr=1-1

At the time of writing, there is no information available upon which to base my review, and so I am having to use my imagination, a picture of a Fish Person that I found in an old Radio Times and some censor clip footage found on the Lost in Time DVD.

And can I just say how fantastic it is to have all four of these episodes back where they belong at the BBC, for us Doctor Who fans to enjoy (episode 1 now being the earliest Troughton in existence)? Episode 2 is a real treat, what with Polly narrowly being saved from a fishy injection, the Doctor pulling off a daring escape from the baddies using only a test tube and the sight of Ben and Jamie digging in some tunnels. Episode 3 has taken some abuse in its time - perhaps rightly - for its overly melodramatic cliffhanger, but I am pleased to report that something in the world stops Professor Zaroff during episode 4, and the story ends reasonably happily for the majority of its characters.

So there you have it. A fantastic addition to the Doctor Who DVD range which I shall give the full five stars...
Could just be taking the mickey, or not...
Old 09-03-15, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're not mentioning how (if?) the two missing episodes will be presented. I seem to recall that they began work on animated recons, but killed them.

At this point, telesnap recons seems most likely.

I can't help but think if they recovrered eps 1 and 4 that they would mention it. Unless the solicit info got released early, and they planned to make a formal announcement about recovered episodes later.

That they specifically mention that this is the final release in the classic line doesn't bode well for more recovered eps.
Old 09-11-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any knows roughly when Barnes & Noble are having their BBC 50% sale this year? I'll probably try and get my missing DW DVDs this time: Zygons, Mind of Evil, Ice Warriors, Tenth Planet. Thanks.
Old 09-26-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Son of a....

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/...-more-to-come/
Old 09-26-15, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, really makes you wonder just what's out there the hands of collectors. It has long been rumored that some missing episodes are in the hands of individuals who are keeping them for themselves and won't turn them back.

If someone bought Web 3, then it's not a stretch to assume that they, and others, have more.

We need a "fappening" for missing episodes.
Old 09-27-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just can't understand why someone would keep something like that for themselves. What a shitty egotistical way to live. Be a man and make the world (well, okay, a few thousand DW fans!) a happier place. I loathe that kind of individualism. Once a rich Japanese collector had written in his will that he wanted to be buried with his treasured Rembrandt to have it for himself for all of eternity. After his death it was denied as the painting was deemed a treasure of humanity. If people are so egocentric, no wonder the world is not such a beautiful place!
Return missing DW episodes you evil people!!!!
Old 09-30-15, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There goes "Bleeding Cool" once again: trying to manufacture something that isn't there (by putting the 'more to come' in the headline). What I take from this is that he found plenty of other 'nice stuff', but that says other programmes to me, not Doctor Who. I just hope some of those discoveries are released on DVD. Unfortunately, the BBC themselves don't seem to have any interest in releasing such landmark shows of their own like Till Death Us Do Part. If Doctor Who weren't such a reliable money-spinner, they'd probably not bother with that, either.

I've read far more about what Phil had to say than that brief article, and there is nothing in what he said that even implies that there's necessarily any more Doctor Who 'on the way'. Just more speculation/gossip once again (probably just them trying to keep the '90 episodes' rumour afloat, or to lure a bunch of fans into clicking on their links).

The only thing to really take away from that story (as far as discovered episodes of Doctor Who are concerned) is that Phil is pretty certain he knows who took the episode. Maybe by 'outing' what happened to the episode, he'll either shame/guilt the thief/purchaser out into the open, or increase awareness enough that if the film print still exists (and wasn't burnt down with the Jos station), that it might even change hands again and someone will do the right thing.

Oh, and he also seemed to confirm that the whereabouts of "Wheel in Space" and "Abominable Snowmen" are still unknown (i.e. not found).

This whole "insider information" business of the past omnirumour, however, is complete fabrication, and no-one should trust any more that gets "leaked", because Phil has said that ever since "Web 3" was swiped, he decided to tell absolutely no-on whether he's found something until it's safely back in the UK. He only told one person about finding "Enemy" and "Web", and just like that, the station manager came in and swiped the can of film with "Web 3" (and one other unidentified can of film...not necessarily Doctor Who, though, since 200 assorted film cans total were found in Jos station).

Last edited by mythmaker18; 09-30-15 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello. Anyone knows a date for the Region 1 Underwater Menace DVD release? Or is there even one planned? I can only find info for the UK release. Thx.
Also still looking for the dates for the Barnes + Noble BBC sale... Re-thx.
Old 10-07-15, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Hello. Anyone knows a date for the Region 1 Underwater Menace DVD release? Or is there even one planned? I can only find info for the UK release. Thx.
Also still looking for the dates for the Barnes + Noble BBC sale... Re-thx.
I think the R1 releases come out about six months after the R2.

But the US Doctor Who releases can be screwy, so it's hard to say if it will even come out over here.
Old 10-07-15, 02:32 PM

I think the R1 releases come out about six months after the R2.

But the US Doctor Who releases can be screwy, so it's hard to say if it will even come out over here.
True, but since The Moonbase managed to come out, I suspect Underwater Menace will as well.
Old 11-14-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does my Scream of the Shalka case say 2 disc set? Am I missing one?
Old 11-14-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's a typo. It's a 1 disc release.
Old 11-15-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
It's a typo. It's a 1 disc release.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.