Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

The OOP thread is listing The Sensorites now
Could you post a link to this thread please. I used to go on a great site by a guy called Manfred for all the North America releases and all, with tons of detailed info, but this site seems closed now. I guess with all the classic episodes having been released, he didn't see the point in maintaining his page up. Thanks.
Old 02-18-16, 10:25 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Here's a link to the most recent page of the OOP thread, and the notice about the Sensorites is in post #1249
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/52...thread-51.html

And this weeks post lists Horns of Nimon and Pyramids of Mars as being OOP. So I'd go ahead and pick those up if you're lacking them. Sensorites is already listed at $200 on Amazon, and it's only been a month. Copies on ebay that have solid are a bit more reasonable, but still one sold for $70.
Old 02-18-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I think I'm officially done with the US releases. Horns of Nimon is $24 shipped for the US release. Meanwhile, the UK release includes Horns of Nimon/Underwold/The Time Monster for $25 shipped to the US.

Amazon.co.uk has a steelbook listed for Series 9.

Old 02-19-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh oh! Things are not looking too good for the DVD range if they've started OOPing some Tom Baker. He's always poll favorite so must sell more than other Doctors. Pyramids of Mars was always a favorite episode for a lot of people. It's a surprise its going OOP. : (
Old 02-19-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Oh oh! Things are not looking too good for the DVD range if they've started OOPing some Tom Baker. He's always poll favorite so must sell more than other Doctors. Pyramids of Mars was always a favorite episode for a lot of people. It's a surprise its going OOP. : (
Maybe if all Doctor Who DVDs and Blus in Region weren't premium priced more people could buy them.

I had to buy most of mine either used or during the Barnes & Noble half price sale.

They could seriously drop the prices and move a lot more stock.
Old 02-19-16, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

Pyramids of Mars is also included in the first Doctors Revisited set, so there is that.
Old 02-20-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They could seriously drop the prices and move a lot more stock.
True for all the BBC DVDs/Blus. Even after five, ten years when all american series have dropped to a few dollars per season BBC stuff is still way up there. I meant to buy a few series like MI-5, Terry Nation's Survivor, etc that have been out for ages and was waiting for the prices to drop but they remain high. Old DW episodes on DVD used to drop in price after years on the market but lately they seem to keep their price even after a few years. Like Zygons and Tenth Planet that I'm still missing...
Maybe the plan is for the Beeb to do like Apple and remain a 'posh niche' in the market and not a vulgar "popular' affair
Maybe its run by a bunch of snobs!!! Just kidding. I have no clue what is the scheme behind this overpricing.
Old 02-21-16, 12:03 PM

Also, Underwater Menace is scheduled for May 24.
Old 03-22-16, 02:44 PM

Some people on bluray.com are saying that the Beneath the Surface set is showing up at Walmart for $9.96. If anyone is lacking that set, $10 is a great price for 3 serials.
Old 03-22-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have that set but I wonder if they have any of the OOP titles. I usually avoid Walmart but this might be worth a look.
Old 03-25-16, 02:44 PM

I've read that all they have are that set and the newer Daleks set. The only other Who stuff that I have ever seen there is the first season ($20) and the second half of the last season on dvd.
Old 03-26-16, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by flansered
Some people on bluray.com are saying that the Beneath the Surface set is showing up at Walmart for $9.96. If anyone is lacking that set, $10 is a great price for 3 serials.
I can confirm that Walmart carries it. I picked up a set today at that price. Thanks for the heads-up!

That is the only old Who they had at the store I stopped in.
Old 03-27-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Yeah, I saw it, too. Might pick it up later if they still have it, even though I don't have any motivation to start collecting classic Who at the current price levels. But $3.33 per story is hard to beat.
Old 03-30-16, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Old DW episodes on DVD used to drop in price after years on the market but lately they seem to keep their price even after a few years. Like Zygons and Tenth Planet that I'm still missing...
Maybe the plan is for the Beeb to do like Apple and remain a 'posh niche' in the market and not a vulgar "popular' affair

Maybe its run by a bunch of snobs!!! Just kidding. I have no clue what is the scheme behind this overpricing.
That type of pricing is only in the North American market, though, so it's just the US office of BBC Worldwide who are keeping stuff 'premium priced' and letting the seriials go OOP.

In the UK, Doctor Who DVDs (when they were still being released) were pretty much guaranteed to start dropping in price after a few months and pretty much stay there (even the multi-story boxsets, which there are more of in the UK, by the way).

Also, no serial is OOP in the UK. Every one of them is still available.

So, it's not the BBC themselves, but the US wing of the corporation. It might be snobbery. More likely, its the idea that in the US, BBC stuff is more of a limited niche interest, while in the UK, it's considered mainstream entertainment.
Old 03-31-16, 03:39 PM

British TV is 40% off at B&N until 4/4.
Old 03-31-16, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by flansered
British TV is 40% off at B&N until 4/4.
Hmm... complete season 9 comes out Tuesday. Decisions, decisions..
Old 04-04-16, 03:14 PM

There's a 20% off coupon (BNSPRING20) that is valid until 4/12 (4/13 online). The coupon doesn't work for preorders, but in the past people have been able to use it during a period in the middle of the night after the title stops being a preorder but before the sale ends. I know some people have done it with Criterions in the past, but it's a YMMV scenario.

BNSPRING20 -- online code
N3C9H4X -- in-store code
Printable:
barnesandnoble.com/promos/bn-promo.jsp?cid=4900002
Old 04-11-16, 01:36 PM

The Doctor Who: New Beginnings: The Keeper Of Traken / Logopolis / Castrovalva set is now listed as out of print according to the thread on this message board. Don't know if it's just a repackaging or if the single discs are still available.
Old 05-02-16, 02:31 PM

According to the Out of Print thread Arc of Infinity is now OOP.
Old 05-02-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I found one OOP title a few weeks ago, there was a used copy of Terror of the Autons at Half Price Books listed for $50.00 but I had a half-off coupon so I got it for a more reasonable $25, but there's still about 5 more titles I need that are being scalped on eBay.

This is nuts, why is it so hard to run a few thousand copies of these titles? They already have the master created and all the graphics designed. What are they trying to prove by keeping these out of print?
Old 05-02-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

I dunno. Maybe because so few stores carry them they don't want to bother warehousing the inventory?

But I would advise anyone looking to get the whole run of classic DW to just get a region free player and start buying the R2 DVDs. Even with the exchange rates, you'll probably end up paying about half of what you would for the entire collection than you would with the R1 DVDs. And that's not accounting for the jacked up second market prices for OOP discs.
Old 05-03-16, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
This is nuts, why is it so hard to run a few thousand copies of these titles? They already have the master created and all the graphics designed. What are they trying to prove by keeping these out of print?
It's more of a money thing. Keeping copies in print means that they have to allocate warehouse space to store them, or spend money pressing discs. The market for classic Who isn't huge, and the number of people that want to own everything is even smaller. I wouldn't be surprised to see more titles going out of print.

The best thing to do if you want the US discs is to pay attention to the OOP thread and grab titles that you don't have when they go OOP, and to stock up on other in print titles during sales like the B&N 50% BBC sale. That's where I got most of my Who discs.

When they put a huge number of titles OOP that included Planet of the Spiders, I was able to get most of them through Mike's Comics (www.mikescomics.com), which was recommended through someone on this board. Granted I wouldn't expect them to have titles that went out of print years ago available, but if something goes out of print and Amazon or Barnes and Noble doesn't have it available any more, it's worth checking them out.

But at this point, if I had to start from the nothing I would just import the UK discs.
Old 05-03-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thing is I have all the Classic Who DVDs except a few that happened to go OOP:

The Rescue/The Romans
The Web Planet
The War Games
Earthshock
Battlefield
Ghostlight

I have every other title in the classic range (except the upcoming The Underwater Menace).

Last year my wife even got me nearly $400 worth of them in one shot for my birthday, but we just happened to not get the OOP ones.

The fact that these are going for insane prices on the secondary market means there's some remaining demand for them. And as for storing them, I have to think Barnes & Noble wouldn't mind helping out with one of their BBC sales.
Old 05-03-16, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Thing is I have all the Classic Who DVDs except a few that happened to go OOP:

The Rescue/The Romans
The Web Planet
The War Games
Earthshock
Battlefield
Ghostlight
Earthshock is included in The Doctors Revisited: 5-8 set, in case you want it in that form.
Old 05-03-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Earthshock is included in The Doctors Revisited: 5-8 set, in case you want it in that form.
Honestly, I wouldn't want it in that form but if I come across that set I might do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.