STARFIELD (Xbox/PC 2023)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

STARFIELD (Xbox/PC 2023)

Old 09-03-23, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
re: STARFIELD (Xbox/PC 2023)

Originally Posted by lopper

So far so good. My weapons feel wildly underpowered a lot of the time, and I run out of ammo often. Buying it is expensive, but there are times I literally have zero ammo for any of my guns, and I don't really have any other option if I want to go out and explore.
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had no issues finding ammo.
I have 1,200 ammo for Rifles

1,000 for Pistols

130 for Shotguns

Firefights have been a little challenging but nothing frustrating. Playing on Normal Difficulty.

Are you using more rare guns? I have one that has an ammo type i cant find more of.

Edit to Add:
Unlock the Scavenger Perk. It will give you more ammo when you loot. I just unlocked Rank 2.

Last edited by mhg83; 09-03-23 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 420 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I am going to have to wait a few more days to.play the game, but I got the LE Controller today, which I absolutely did not need. Still really glad I got it. It's so gorgeous! 🤩
I didnít need it either and also got mine today. I agree with you itís beautiful and feels perfect. Itís definitely the best Xbox controller Iíve ever owned.
Old 09-03-23, 04:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,248 Likes on 885 Posts

The map is cumbersome (on the and on-world Surface Map is has the most need for improvement) but I think it's totally manageable. Just takes some familiarity with the multiple layers; where most games have a surface and top level map, this has like four or five layers, depending on if a planet has a moon or asteroids orbiting it.

I've progressed a bit in the main quest, but there's such an abundance of side quests -- many you'll never find unless you start speaking to the most random people -- that it's even easier than ever to get side tracked and next thing you know you're three solar systems away killing off spacers in a ship that has zero gravity.

Yes, there are frustrating bits. Other aspects of the menu system are kind of baffling, and I find myself cycling through them more than I should. I also really don't like that the POV toggle is mapped to what is usually the map button on the controller. I do like changing POV in some cases, but while I thought I'd prefer third-person view, I've actually played primarily in first-person view.
Also, surveying planets for resources, flora, and fauna is boring. I'm glad it's mostly optional.
But nothing that has killed my enjoyment of this. As always; create new saves often!

However, I can see why people would be 'done' with this style of RPG in 2023. Nothing against that viewpoint, but this one is right up my alley.
Old 09-03-23, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I pickpocket everyone. So yeah save first. If they freak out and call the guards just reload. It’ll work after a couple times. I usually steal credits and med packs. Also, the bucket on the head to steal trick works just don’t let them see you grabbing the bucket.
Old 09-04-23, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep hearing there are side quests to stumble upon random planets? So far I've only visited planets and moons the main quest sends me on and all of the POI have felt the same with no kind of quest popping up. Have any of you guys found any?

it's also a little frustrating to land, walk five minutes to a POI only to find little to nothing. Some have been beautiful spots here and there but I would have more incentive to explore if there was some kind of rover or rideable mount to travel.

I heard there's some kind of jetpack you can get? I'm 24 hours in and have yet to unlock or go on a quest to get one.
Old 09-04-23, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I keep hearing there are side quests to stumble upon random planets? So far I've only visited planets and moons the main quest sends me on and all of the POI have felt the same with no kind of quest popping up. Have any of you guys found any?

it's also a little frustrating to land, walk five minutes to a POI only to find little to nothing. Some have been beautiful spots here and there but I would have more incentive to explore if there was some kind of rover or rideable mount to travel.

I heard there's some kind of jetpack you can get? I'm 24 hours in and have yet to unlock or go on a quest to get one.
I might get ripped for this...but a year ago I was all gung ho on getting Starfield to the extent I even planned on getting a Gaming PC or XB Series X.....but then the ...Finer Details...of the game emerged and I said nope.....\

First, it's straight up Single Player and that was a killer for me. Then came only 10% of the Planets had Life...which was another killer since one wants to go to a Planet to do what; explore and see life, see sights, collect, etc...why go to a lifeless Planet with nothing to do?......and then another killer; No Land Vehicles or Transportation.....now each time one of these revelations popped up, it was, "Well...that's no big deal...game will be fine"...and it probably is for a lot of people. But some of these...Quality of Life....in game accessories that's missing starts to add up to a point....
Old 09-04-23, 08:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones
First, it's straight up Single Player and that was a killer for me.
it was always a single player game. Not sure why youíd expect anything different. This was never going to be Bethesdaís answer to Destiny or Fortnite or whatever, thank goodness. We need big single player games; thereís far more than enough multiplayer ones for people who canít play alone. This game was never for that audience.

Then came only 10% of the Planets had Life...which was another killer since one wants to go to a Planet to do what; explore and see life, see sights, collect, etc...why go to a lifeless Planet with nothing to do?
There are plenty of things to do on the Ďlifelessí planets. I spent like 4 hours on one yesterday that has zero flora and fauna, yet had a robot facility, and other things relevant to the game.

......and then another killer; No Land Vehicles or Transportation....
I assure you, walking around is sufficient.

now each time one of these revelations popped up, it was, "Well...that's no big deal...game will be fine"...and it probably is for a lot of people. But some of these...Quality of Life....in game accessories that's missing starts to add up to a point....
in other words, you set yourself up for a bunch of expectations, none of which were ever advertised, and then crafted a reason to dismiss the game upon release.
I mean, thatís fine. You do you. But you seem to have expected a non-Bethesda game from Bethesda. I would recommend not doing that in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
Deftones (09-04-23), Mikellll11 (09-06-23)
Old 09-04-23, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I unlocked the jetpack perk and it's way easier and fun to explore now. I'm on Niira and have found more diverse POI. I must've had bad luck.

Even if POI will be repetitive you get rewarded with xp. Lots of useful skills I need to unlock before tacking bigger quests.
Old 09-04-23, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I might get ripped for this...but a year ago I was all gung ho on getting Starfield to the extent I even planned on getting a Gaming PC or XB Series X.....but then the ...Finer Details...of the game emerged and I said nope.....\

First, it's straight up Single Player and that was a killer for me. Then came only 10% of the Planets had Life...which was another killer since one wants to go to a Planet to do what; explore and see life, see sights, collect, etc...why go to a lifeless Planet with nothing to do?......and then another killer; No Land Vehicles or Transportation.....now each time one of these revelations popped up, it was, "Well...that's no big deal...game will be fine"...and it probably is for a lot of people. But some of these...Quality of Life....in game accessories that's missing starts to add up to a point....
10% that have life still means 100 planets. And just because thereís no life doesnít mean thereís nothing there. I went to a planet devoid of life and saw ruins and also robots. And single player is better than them trying to cram multiplayer down our throat like every other game out there it seems. Also Fallout didnít have a vehicle and nobody complained.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (09-04-23)
Old 09-04-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,385 Likes on 943 Posts

Just realized my wife is leaving next weekend for a week long work trip. What perfect timing for this game to drop!
Old 09-04-23, 03:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

I got to spend some more time on it this today and you guys weren’t kidding about how shitty the map is
Old 09-04-23, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
I got to spend some more time on it this today and you guys werenít kidding about how shitty the map is
Like I totally understand that kind of map for all the random planets but places like New Atlantis need a detailed map.
Old 09-04-23, 05:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know... after exploring most of New Atlantis and the surrounding area endlessly, I'm not sure a detailed map is actually necessary. Sure, it would ease minds a bit, but I mostly have it figured out to know where I'm going, and the on-screen indicator is usually enough. You can also switch to your scanner (LB on the controller, not sure what button on keyboard) and it will sometimes (not always) show arrows on the ground, guiding you to your waypoint.
Once you're no longer using the Surface Map, then the planet/orbit, solar, and starfield maps are all pretty good. Very straightforward.

One trick I've been doing is going to my Mission/Quest list, selecting the one I want, and selecting the option to navigate directly there. Most of the time, it'll drop you right into the city/area you need to be in, and then I follow the marker to my goal. Sometimes, it'll drop you out in orbit because you may still have to hail another ship, fight a battle, etc.

I spent the last 3-4 hours doing a ton of side quests for the big tech company in Neon. Those are worth the effort, and includes one stealthy mission that I had some fun with. However, I'm running into the odd quest-stopping bugs from time to time where a door won't open, or a resource can't be found. Kinda sucks. Nothing breaking the main game, though, and I'm sure bug fixes are coming...
Old 09-04-23, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrX
I got to spend some more time on it this today and you guys werenít kidding about how shitty the map is
I donít have any issues with the map.
Old 09-04-23, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm all full tomorrow but I can't wait to put in some time Wednesday and Thursday, I have a feeling I will like this game.
Old 09-05-23, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So at what time can we play? Just tried it, no dice.
Old 09-05-23, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts

Tomorrow
Old 09-05-23, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The XBOX app page shows release date 9/5/2023.
Old 09-05-23, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
The XBOX app page shows release date 9/5/2023.
https://screenrant.com/starfield-rel...0September%206.
Old 09-05-23, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts

The actual Starfield web page says the 6th.

https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield
Old 09-05-23, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Waited a week, what's one more day Tomorrow I have more free time anyway.
Old 09-05-23, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
The actual Starfield web page says the 6th.

https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield
On September 6, Standard edition owners or Game Pass subscribers can start playing at 12:00 UTC. (Click here to convert to your time.)And because of timezones, if you live in the United States, Canada, or South America, youíll be able to start playing on September 5. As before, Californian players can start as early as 5:00 p.m. PDT.
Old 09-05-23, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, thanks, today at 5p!! Whoohoo!!
Old 09-05-23, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was on Mars and a huge ship landed. The captain told me they were attacked and needed ship parts to repair. She asked if I could look around for some. I went up to the ship, broke in, and flew away. Now it’s mine
The following 2 users liked this post by nickdawgy:
Dan (09-05-23), Deftones (09-05-23)
Old 09-05-23, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I donít have any issues with the map.
The planet I'm on has a few abandoned areas that I've been on for a good hour trying to clear but it keeps saying "Partially Cleared" I have no clue what parts I have not explored since there's no local map. I've gone over the sections three times and some are still at 50 percent explored.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.