Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Old 10-20-21, 07:44 PM
  #2726  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

The PS5 SSD buying guide

https://www.theverge.com/22602046/be...patible-drives
Old 10-22-21, 08:35 AM
  #2727  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 8,885
Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker

Thanks and Push square added this new updated list yesterday with (14) compatible SSD's.... Best PS5 SSD 2021: Boost Your PS5 Storage Capacity - Push Square
Old 10-22-21, 01:30 PM
  #2728  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
Thread Starter
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,659
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

The next State of Play — oriented around third-party titles — is on Wednesday.
Old 10-22-21, 01:48 PM
  #2729  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Thanks and Push square added this new updated list yesterday with (14) compatible SSD's.... Best PS5 SSD 2021: Boost Your PS5 Storage Capacity - Push Square
Holy shit 4 GB drives for $869. That seems SO unnecessary.
Old 10-22-21, 01:50 PM
  #2730  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 27,980
Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
Holy shit 4 GB drives for $869. That seems SO unnecessary.
Especially when you can get 4 TB for the same price!
The following users liked this post:
Music (10-22-21)
Old 10-22-21, 01:51 PM
  #2731  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I knew that looked wrong!
Old 10-26-21, 12:34 PM
  #2732  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,609
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I'm on the text alerts for Amazon Treasure Truck and was away from my phone when they said they had the PS5 with disc drive in stock for $499.99. Came back it was sold out in less than ten minutes.

That said, I haven't really been saving up for it, anyway, so it's okay. It looks like Battlefield 2042 will come out for PS4 and I think that will be fine for me. Our family still has lots of games to try out on our PS4 for now.

Still, wow, less than ten minutes for a sellout!
Old 10-26-21, 10:27 PM
  #2733  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 12,629
Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by story
I'm on the text alerts for Amazon Treasure Truck and was away from my phone when they said they had the PS5 with disc drive in stock for $499.99. Came back it was sold out in less than ten minutes.

That said, I haven't really been saving up for it, anyway, so it's okay. It looks like Battlefield 2042 will come out for PS4 and I think that will be fine for me. Our family still has lots of games to try out on our PS4 for now.

Still, wow, less than ten minutes for a sellout!
that is 9 minutes and 59 seconds longer than I expected.
Old 10-27-21, 11:45 AM
  #2734  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,849
Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I did get a response email from Sony for the thing I signed up for with buying a PS5 through them, saying they'll let me know if/when I can buy one. Since you can only sign up for it using your Playstation ID, hopefully I can secure one this way - especially when they see what a good customer I've been, what with all the shit I've bought through the PS store!
Old 10-27-21, 11:50 AM
  #2735  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Apparently the free PS Plus games for November just leaked ahead of the announcement expected with the PlayStation Direct this afternoon
Old 10-27-21, 11:54 AM
  #2736  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I guess that First Class Trouble is an Among Us rip-off with more realistic graphics
Old 10-27-21, 11:58 AM
  #2737  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 8,905
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by slop101
I did get a response email from Sony for the thing I signed up for with buying a PS5 through them, saying they'll let me know if/when I can buy one. Since you can only sign up for it using your Playstation ID, hopefully I can secure one this way - especially when they see what a good customer I've been, what with all the shit I've bought through the PS store!
Or they will treat you like Decker and send you broken consoles...
Old 10-27-21, 12:20 PM
  #2738  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

.... Only twice! ✌️
Old 10-27-21, 01:59 PM
  #2739  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,494
Received 894 Likes on 632 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

October was a bust for me on PS+ (didn't add any to my library) and November looks nearly as bad. I don't have VR and/or care about Walking Dead, Amalur or an Among Us clone. That leaves Knockout City whose trailer is just obnoxious.

I usually prefer PS+ offerings to GamePass, but Sony's offerings are kinda lacking lately.
Old 10-27-21, 03:31 PM
  #2740  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 27,980
Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I honestly don't get why they wouldn't just start offering up titles that were offered 3+ years ago. It's a new generation full of people new to PS+. Sure, the long-timers will complain about it, but the last 12 months haven't exactly been enticing to newer subscribers. Same goes for Games With Gold, honestly.

Offer up one repeat title from previous years each month to go along with the 'new' ones. Even one repeat every 2 months would be reasonable.
Old 10-27-21, 03:38 PM
  #2741  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,130
Received 838 Likes on 618 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Ugh, I just bought Amalour like 2 months ago when it was on sale. Got my money's worth but free would have been much better.
Old 10-27-21, 05:43 PM
  #2742  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Dan
I honestly don't get why they wouldn't just start offering up titles that were offered 3+ years ago. It's a new generation full of people new to PS+. Sure, the long-timers will complain about it, but the last 12 months haven't exactly been enticing to newer subscribers. Same goes for Games With Gold, honestly.

Offer up one repeat title from previous years each month to go along with the 'new' ones. Even one repeat every 2 months would be reasonable.
Sorry Dan, gonna respectfully agree to disagree on this one. As a charter PS+ member I don’t appreciate even part of my membership fees (for both me AND my son) going towards games that I have already received through PS Plus. That doesn’t seem like value for their most loyal members.
Old 10-27-21, 06:07 PM
  #2743  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
Thread Starter
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,659
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
Sorry Dan, gonna respectfully agree to disagree on this one. As a charter PS+ member I don’t appreciate even part of my membership fees (for both me AND my son) going towards games that I have already received through PS Plus. That doesn’t seem like value for their most loyal members.
Though, to be fair, there's the value you've already gotten -- the ability to have played those games for years. I wouldn't love if it repeats were taking the slot of something new, but if it's just "you still get the usual 4 games, plus this old favorite is in the mix again too", that's cool with me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
Dan (10-27-21), story (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 06:31 PM
  #2744  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 27,980
Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Adam gets it. That's all I'm saying.
if the value for new members isn't comparable to what 'loyal' members got previously, what with some bottom tier titles in the mix these days, why would they want to maintain a subscription?* Sony's goal IS to get new subs, isn't it? I genuinely don't see anyone (like Decker) dropping their subscription just because a repeat title shows up. Sure, they'll complain... loudly... But not much more.

*(That is, assuming they're not a sucker who already paid for 8 years of PS+ in Oct 2020... that would be silly!)

But I also don't actually expect Sony or MS to do what I suggest. They're afraid of 'loyal' fans, as weird as that whole concept is to me these days.

Edit: What I'm really saying is I want to play Resogun, but I don't want to buy it!

Edit2: and to be 100% clear, I know my opinion is in the vast minority, and I totally understand why long-time subscribers would be diametrically opposed to the mere idea of it. I just think they're wrong.

Last edited by Dan; 10-27-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-27-21, 09:54 PM
  #2745  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,494
Received 894 Likes on 632 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I got Resogun free at PS4 launch and I would totally support tossing it back into the mix to bring in more players/fans that may have missed it. Also, whatever they're charging isn't enough. it's totally worth the price (with all the DLC). Just bite the bullet Dan.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (10-28-21)
Old 10-27-21, 10:02 PM
  #2746  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,609
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I'd like some games to come back. I've forgotten to add many to my library in my time as a PS+ member. Just this year I missed Maneater because I didn't pay attention, that was frustrating.
Old 10-28-21, 08:35 AM
  #2747  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 8,885
Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I got Resogun free at PS4 launch and I would totally support tossing it back into the mix to bring in more players/fans that may have missed it. Also, whatever they're charging isn't enough. it's totally worth the price (with all the DLC). Just bite the bullet Dan.

100% agree...got it it a launch and it was a real hidden gem in the thin PS4 Games at the time....probably one of the Best Arcade Style game around even now. At the time it was a really wow factor (along with infamous: Second Son). It was a pretty awesome fireworks display.....big kudos to Housemarque who has come so far from it to Returnal....
The following users liked this post:
story (10-28-21)
Old 10-28-21, 10:19 AM
  #2748  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,609
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Resogun is great, very accessible for young kids to learn, so a fast favorite in our home.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (10-28-21)
Old 10-28-21, 10:21 AM
  #2749  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 27,980
Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I still have to buy my digital PS games on my Canadian account so Resogun is $20. Tempting!! But they should just drop it back on PS+, just for me. Thx.
Old 10-28-21, 10:36 AM
  #2750  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,563
Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by K&AJones
100% agree...got it it a launch and it was a real hidden gem in the thin PS4 Games at the time....probably one of the Best Arcade Style game around even now. At the time it was a really wow factor (along with infamous: Second Son). It was a pretty awesome fireworks display.....big kudos to Housemarque who has come so far from it to Returnal....
.... From a small indie game I love to huge AAA first-party one I can't stand!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.