Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4; 7/17/20)

Old 07-18-20, 09:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Ghost of Tsushima (PS4; 7/17/20)

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post

Overall, I can see why all the High Scores...except from Gamespot that gave it a 7/10 which is the same score they gave The Last of Us Pt.2....I have a feeling it's they don't like Violence in Games or maybe the PS4....
this is so absurd, especially if you actually read either review in entirely (it's ok, we know you didn't, especially because their score for TLOU2 was an 8), which were written by entirely different people. But sure, Gamespot doesn't like violence in precious video games... That must be it. That sure explains this excerpt:
Even after I had completed the game's main quest, I gained a lot of enjoyment from using the remaining enemy encampments as playgrounds to terrorize soldiers. I'd get creative with distraction tools, use more environmental kills, turn enemies against one another with hallucinogenic darts, and hone my super long-range grenade throwing arm from the safety of a dark rooftop I clambered onto with a grappling hook.
Or their 9/10 review for the PS4-exclusive Dreams... sure points to them hating the console. Makes perfect sense...

Last edited by Dan; 07-18-20 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah his conspiracy theories are getting ridiculous. Someone gave a 7 to a game you love get over it.
Old 07-18-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Clearly that strategy is working out very well for Gamestop.
Old 07-18-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 211 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeah, not selling games on release day was a bold strategy. I think the last time I got rejected years ago on release day was the last time I shopped there seriously.
Old 07-18-20, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 810 Likes on 499 Posts

It's a little hard to photograph, but DAMN the front cover of the Steelbook is beautiful!

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Dan (07-18-20), K&AJones (07-19-20)
Old 07-19-20, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
this is so absurd, especially if you actually read either review in entirely (it's ok, we know you didn't, especially because their score for TLOU2 was an 8), which were written by entirely different people. But sure, Gamespot doesn't like violence in precious video games... That must be it. That sure explains this excerpt:

Or their 9/10 review for the PS4-exclusive Dreams... sure points to them hating the console. Makes perfect sense...
Did you read their 'Bad Points' about the game...talk about nick picking....Japanese Voice/language didn't line up with animations...can't cut Bamboo....some camera angles are bad on hilly terrain...cutscenes lack a degree of life...rote open-world quest structures often feel dull....

And reading the review...they didn't care about the voice nor cutscenes because there wasn't enough bodily emotions...like throwing, screaming, jumping up & down, a fit I guess.
Seemed like they liked the combat...to a point...but made a unnecessary comment about Jin resorting to "Unfair Advantage" sneaking around, back stabbing, combat....
Didn't like no compass yet liked The Gusting Wind Idea...?
Didn't like no Enemy Lock On....but acknowledges you are and can be surrounded...well duh, yes you can....
Didn't like unable to hide the dead bodies...and that's...?
Didn't like Camera angle in tight areas...how often does that happen?...after putting in 15+ hours I'll say maybe 7-5% of the time
And this remark....WTH...."Other in-world devices, like plumes of smoke, flying songbirds, foxes, Torii gates, talkative non-player characters, and more help to guide (or rather, distract) you toward new activities.
​​​​​​​And how many times have you seen where someone said...Too much of a good thing is bad....Like The Art Direction in GoT... "At times, it almost feels as if art direction is trying a little bit toohard to draw attention to itself. And Ghost of Tsushima certainly makes a concerted effort to try and absorb you into its radiant world even further with its deliberate lack of navigational information."
Not one word on the Audio and Musical Score...hmmm

If or not they don't care for the violence is mute...I've read countless reviews on GoT and I didn't see any do the nick picking like this with the above notes....but I don't think any site or review should fall in line with everyone else. It's just their reviews with Got and even The last of Us PtPt2 seemed more minor and nick picking than everyone else to knock points off the final score.
Old 07-19-20, 10:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

okay.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Someone gave a 7 to a game you love get over it.

​​​​​​Plus, the negatives mentioned are legitimate, even if they bother different people to different degrees. That's the point of reviews; not free PR. I'd rather read a review that's honest about that stuff from their perspective. In my ~20 hours with the game, half of that stuff rings true and half doesn't. It's not a big deal, but I'm glad others have similar experiences with it.
My complaints, minor as they can be, are:
- sometimes Fast Travel stops working entirely. It'll say I can't fast travel while in combat, but there are no enemies around and I'm free to talk to anyone and do anything. I even played another Take to see if that'd fix it, but it didn't. Had to shut down and restart the game to make it work again.
- camera during fights can be a bit annoying. It would be cool if it shifted off-center a bit more often, based on the direction you're facing. It's mostly fine, but could be tweaked, especially when there's more enemies in the fight.
- even the Digital Foundry guy said said the FOV was too tight once in awhile. I don't disagree.
- Kurosawa Mode is actually pretty great, IMO, and I'm going to play until I finish the main quest this way. That said, there should be some tweaking to UI/UX stuff to accommodate this a bit better. Nothing major, but at times it can be more difficult to see certain interactive elements. But this mode kicks ass when it comes to the boss fights! I love it.
- It's just too violent!!! /s

I'm totally glad I picked this up. I waited until an hour before it went live, and managed to download the entire game a minute before it unlocked. It's a blast, despite the legitimate flaws.
Old 07-19-20, 10:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and I love photo mode.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (07-20-20)
Old 07-19-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

So Amazon Canada ended up delivering this game yesterday afternoon so I was able to play last night.

I’m playing this game on Samurai mode with Japanese language and English subtitles but will switch to Kurosawa mode later. Sucker Punch has done a tremendous job in adapting all the intricacies of the Samurai story, plot and dialogue and you feel like you are watching a movie. I’m 6 hours into this game and I’m hooked like I expected.

Reading the reviews, you can finish the main game in 15 hours and you need roughly 50 hours to Platinum. You can play it on Easy and none of the trophies are missable so only one playthrough is needed.

Reviews indicated that even with the latest 1.04, there’s reports that you may encounter game breaking bugs so Manual Saving is recommended. You can manually save by going in Options and selecting Save.

I do agree that the controls are a bit loose and the reliant to use L3 or R3 is a bit bothersome to me. Shooting of the bows is a bit problematic for me but I love how Jin is able to switch the Stances once it’s unlocked. The roll technique purchase is necessary and a good investment.

Have you guys encountered some Bears and Boars yet? Sucker Punch has taken a page from Rockstar and Ubisoft in terms what’s available in Ghost. The use of the wind, question marks and having the trusted steed are a plus. Also I’m glad that the created the Fast Travel points.

Old 07-19-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, for those not familiar or interested in Samurai films might find it boring or annoying the long intro/tutorial/plot subtext that this game has at the beginning.
Old 07-20-20, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man this game is 100% up my alley. I played for hours today. Very fun. I still suck at combat. Really need that spear blocking ability because they keep kicking my ass. But I love that there is no penalty for dying really and the reload is almost immediate. I have no problem just reloading and trying again and again. The hardest thing is choosing what skill to spend my next point on, they almost all seem useful.
Old 07-20-20, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Very good game so far. Total rip of the last two AC games but more refined. Longer than I expected too; I feel I've played close to 20 hours already and I'm barely into Act 2. The direction and story is better here but (as of now) I enjoyed Odyssey more.

Is there a way to turn off tips? I don't need the game to tell me to swap stances every time I'm using another one. News flash game, stances aren't really needed when parrying/counter is just as effective. Stop pausing my game to tell me to switch!
Old 07-20-20, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry Dan...I got a bit carried away with my 'Feedback & respose"....sort of left a sour taste in my mouth afterwards but that was after playing GoT for like 5-6 hours straight and still had a sort of rush going on...

Metacritic stands at 82/100 which overall considering New IP, dealing with this China Virus that's effected all Devs like anyone else....that's overall not a bad score. Interesting article of Sucker Punch taking the criticism more heartily than say others....

Sucker Punch on Ghost of Tsushima Reviews: Criticism Will Makes Us Better .......https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...shima-reviews/

Also one on why they didn't put in Lock-on Feature during combat which I can see and know why after numerous fights and battles with 2-6 around and chasing me. Frankly wouldn't want it like wouldn't want a compass...
Ghost of Tsushima Dropped Lock-on Mechanic in Favor of More Fluid Combat and Quicker Movements .....https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ombat-lock-on/

I unlocked all six slots for Charms and that's helped. I just did The Curse of Uchitsune to get the Long Bow....last part was a pain for me (on Medium)....but that Long Bow is a beast...

Just got the 3rd Stance...Wind...and that has helped with those Spear Dudes which can be a major pain when it's two or more...really solid against a Commander using a Pole/Spear.

Got to get the Straw Hat Ronin and Forge the Grappling Hook...the other Two Quests are not showing up (at 4 of 9) for The Bow Teacher and Lady M....I tried the Straw Hat Ronin Quest earlier in my playthru and got my butt handed to me. I really hadn't leveled up my equipment..Armor, Bow, Sword and it showed....had to cancel the quest for later. There's no assassination and sneaking up there...it's straight out Samurai Skills against some serious odds....

Last edited by K&AJones; 07-20-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-20-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

"China Virus". Lol. Now your posts all make sense.
Old 07-20-20, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
"China Virus". Lol. Now your posts all make sense.

Well...we've had The Spanish Flu...German Measles...Asian Flu.....Bird Flu....Chickenpox....Colorado Tick Fever...Japanese Encephalitis....Kawasaki Syndrome, etc...so hey they get their name added like everyone else....
Old 07-20-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

German Measles has been called Rubella for over fifty years. It's the R in the MMR vaccine. Kawasaki Disease is named after the Japanese doctor who first described it. Smart people call viruses and illnesses by what they are commonly referred to, and with a global pandemic, everyone should know what this one is called.
Old 07-20-20, 09:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Is there a way to turn off tips? I don't need the game to tell me to swap stances every time I'm using another one. News flash game, stances aren't really needed when parrying/counter is just as effective. Stop pausing my game to tell me to switch!
I agree about the tips (I haven't checked to see if you can turn them off...) but I disagree about the stances. Each one can be used to great effect in taking down each type of enemy, and while I think "Wind" is the most universal of the four, I still find myself switching between them mid-fight to take enemies out with more finesse.

The
Spoiler:
hallucination poison darts

are a total blast to deploy..
Old 07-20-20, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please, please please, keep politics/covid talk out of Gaming section
The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
Dan (07-20-20), namja (07-20-20)
Old 07-20-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about the tips (I haven't checked to see if you can turn them off...) but I disagree about the stances. Each one can be used to great effect in taking down each type of enemy, and while I think "Wind" is the most universal of the four, I still find myself switching between them mid-fight to take enemies out with more finesse.

The
Spoiler:
hallucination poison darts

are a total blast to deploy..
Yeah, they are useful in some scenarios but most enemies are easy enough by parrying/counter. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have the game pause and require you to swap stances after 20 hours of game play should be fired.

I'm looking forward to getting those. I must not be far enough in for them to unlock.
Old 07-20-20, 09:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ based on your comments so far, I think you're fairly close. I'm pretty sure it's part of the main story, and before the Act 2 finale.
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (07-20-20)
Old 07-20-20, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 211 Likes on 156 Posts

Save it for the political forum guys.
Old 07-20-20, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ based on your comments so far, I think you're fairly close. I'm pretty sure it's part of the main story, and before the Act 2 finale.
Cool, thanks! I went back to the southern part at the beginning of Act 2 to help the farmsteads. Finished all those up last night so I'm ready to dive back into the northern section of the map.
Old 07-20-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Couple hours in, and while the game is beautiful, has anyone else been finding it sorta... dull?
Old 07-20-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Couple hours in, and while the game is beautiful, has anyone else been finding it sorta... dull?
Not me. I love riding around the countryside looking for things. The new mechanic of finding a golden bird or red fox and following it to find a hidden area is kind of brilliant. As is the traveler costume that vibrates when you get close to a collectible. Wish I didn't have to keep remembering to change outfits all the time though.
Old 07-20-20, 12:26 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Please, please please, keep politics/covid talk out of Gaming section
This. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.