Ghost of Tsushima (PS4; 7/17/20)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4; 7/17/20)

Old 07-25-20, 03:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 153 Posts
Re: Ghost of Tsushima (PS4; 7/17/20)

Beat the main game, all in Kurosawa mode.
Overall I'm happy with this game and I still have a fair amount left to do in terms of side quests and such.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (07-26-20)
Old 07-26-20, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

I started on Friday once I finished Paper Mario and I was hooked pretty quickly. I played in Kurosawa mode for the first hour or so but once I got into the open world I switched to color. I've barely done any of the main missions just running around exploring and doing side quests.
K&AJones (07-27-20)
Old 07-27-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Finished this up yesterday. Two achievements short of a platinum. Fantastic game which gets better as it goes. In the end I would put this above AC; and for reference, I had Odyssey as my GotY.

If anything, Act 1 is too long. The environments/story/density of content get much better in Acts 2/3.
K&AJones (07-28-20)
Old 07-27-20, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 733 Likes on 443 Posts

I must have played for 10-12 hours yesterday. Must be coming to the end of Act One as I have done everything on my To Do list. It really is my kind of game. I really loved AC Origins but got overwhelmed by Odyssey with all the territory battles and ship warfare. It seemed too much for me. This is more like the former, lots to do, but not too much. Last week when I started out I was really struggling with combat, but after a couple of armor upgrades and getting the Water Stance, it's very easy but still fun. Love the combat system. Killing three guys in a row during a Standoff never gets old. I don't get to play much during the week but look forward to getting back into it next weekend.
K&AJones (07-28-20)
Old 07-27-20, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Finished this up yesterday. Two achievements short of a platinum. Fantastic game which gets better as it goes. In the end I would put this above AC; and for reference, I had Odyssey as my GotY.

If anything, Act 1 is too long. The environments/story/density of content get much better in Acts 2/3.
Quick question about progression
Spoiler:
Are there any character abilities you unlock past Ghost Stance, or is that it?

Old 07-27-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Quick question about progression
Spoiler:
Are there any character abilities you unlock past Ghost Stance, or is that it?

Spoiler:
Not so much an ability but there's a mythic quest to unlock flaming sword, which you've seen enemies have. I don't recall exactly when that quest unlocks. Ghost stance is the last major character upgrade and is OP as shit when you wear the Ghost Armor set.

Old 07-27-20, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sweet! Planning on starting this in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they add a NG+ next.

Ghost of Tsushima 1.05 full patch notes

New difficulty level: Lethal

• Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jinís katana is also more deadly
  • Enemies are more aggressive in combat
  • Enemies detect you faster
  • Tighter Parry and Dodge windows

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.
  • Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged
  • Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos
  • Enemies will not attack you while youíre using Resolve to heal
  • Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted

Text changes

• Large Text option: Increases text size of subtitles, mission objectives and interact prompts by 150% when enabled
  • Added option to turn speaker name off when subtitles are enabled
  • New subtitle text colour options in addition to white: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green
  • Patch 1.05 also includes additional bug fixes.
Patch 1.05 for Ghost of Tsushima rolls out later today.

Old 07-28-20, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrads and well done....as to Dan....I've avoided all Guides and how To, Finds, Locations, etc...For the most part I just explore and tackle stuff as they come up or just happen in the area I'm in....hopefully not a spoiler question but I assume Act 1 is the mainland you start in and Act 2/3 is on the other?
...feel the same about Odyssey but no-where near finishing it.. Liked all the battles, stories, locations but I could play for a few days and fell like I hadn't made a dent in the game looking at the map full of icons.....but even with GoT, still feel Origins is the best looking game I've seen; they nailed Ancient Egypt....
Old 07-28-20, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Congrads and well done....as to Dan....I've avoided all Guides and how To, Finds, Locations, etc...For the most part I just explore and tackle stuff as they come up or just happen in the area I'm in....hopefully not a spoiler question but I assume Act 1 is the mainland you start in and Act 2/3 is on the other?
...feel the same about Odyssey but no-where near finishing it.. Liked all the battles, stories, locations but I could play for a few days and fell like I hadn't made a dent in the game looking at the map full of icons.....but even with GoT, still feel Origins is the best looking game I've seen; they nailed Ancient Egypt....
Same here. Liberating a town/camp opens up a huge amount of the map around it so that's really all you need to do.

Yeah, 2/3 are the upper map section, split in half.
Old 07-28-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks...I didn't want to ask something giving much away but I'm about 80%-85% done with Act 1....think just two more to Liberate...Shipyard and then the huge Town Area way down South where you saved "The Brother"...and then go save "The Uncle"....maybe a few Shrines and Locations but two are done here. Just making sure the entire map is opened.
Old 07-28-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Iím still really into this game, primarily the combat, so this new difficulty is welcome. But until they introduce a feature to move dialogue along or skip cutscenes altogether, I think Iím moving on to something else.

Iím not invested in this story at all, so every line of dialogue is completely disposable. If they would let me skip and just add yet another icon to my map, Iíd be so happy.
Old 07-28-20, 12:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 153 Posts

Same here. Liberating a town/camp opens up a huge amount of the map around it so that's really all you need to do.
Yup, this is what I'm focusing on along with any side quests that come up as I travel. I've only got about 5 or 6 side quests left in my queue, but I also don't think I've come across them all yet. Reminds me of Fallout New Vegas that way, which was a game where I enjoyed the side quests more than the main story because you could come across them even going completely off the beaten paths, so to speak.

Yeah, 2/3 are the upper map section, split in half.
Makes me wonder if you could start a new game, and traverse from the far south to the far north right away.
Old 07-28-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I like the game but all the options seem overwhelming sometimes.
Old 07-28-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

You probably could travel straight north but would likely get slayed. Much like the last few AC games allowed you to go wherever you want at first and take the ass kicking that came with it.
K&AJones (07-29-20)
Old 07-29-20, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is the game would do what it does if you go to an occupied town that's part of the story. It says you're entering an area of "overwhelming force" and arrows just start raining down from nowhere. You either have to run away or die. A few times I went to towns I wanted to liberate but the game wouldn't let me since they were part of the MSQ.
Old 07-29-20, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no need to rush thru this...I've probably spent a few hours in Photo-Mode alone....early on in the game with few level up in Stances, Swords, Deflection, Evasion and Ghost Weapons, I was spending more time running and trying to survive...especially from Spear Guys....

At first I thought all the options on various combat moves was overwhelming but now I mainly focus on just the Stances, using Throwing Knives, a Bomb or Two, Bow and Assassination...The Water Stance made all the difference. I'm sure to expect more in Act 2 & 3 but that's fine...still haven't maxed Bow and Sword Damage yet.....had a friend message me last night he Platinum the game. He's big in survival, AC Games and all and said he has never played one that kept him so attached and fixed like GoT.
Old 07-29-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no need to rush thru this...I've probably spent a few hours in Photo-Mode alone....early on in the game with few level up in Stances, Swords, Deflection, Evasion and Ghost Weapons, I was spending more time running and trying to survive...especially from Spear Guys....

At first I thought all the options on various combat moves was overwhelming but now I mainly focus on just the Stances, using Throwing Knives, a Bomb or Two, Bow and Assassination...The Water Stance made all the difference. I'm sure to expect more in Act 2 & 3 but that's fine...still haven't maxed Bow and Sword Damage yet.....had a friend message me last night he Platinum the game. He's big in survival, AC Games and all and said he has never played one that kept him so attached and fixed like GoT.
Have you unlocked the blowgun for darts yet? Those are super fun to play around with. See how many enemies you can get to kill each other before you even step foot in a camp.
Old 07-29-20, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you unlocked the blowgun for darts yet? Those are super fun to play around with. See how many enemies you can get to kill each other before you even step foot in a camp.
Oh h*ll no...didn't even know about it...the Sticky Bomb is funny and like the Smoke Bomb just running in, dropping it and getting back-to-back Assassinations....
Old 07-29-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once I had the blowdarts, I basically never saw anything other than massive thunderstorms (since the weather is effected by how you play). Hit archers, knowing they'll be quickly slaughtered by their camp. Then find a big dude with an axe and let him run wild on the others. Anyone left over gets the lethal darts. All while no one knows you're there. About as un-Samurai as you can get!
K&AJones (08-30-20)
Old 07-30-20, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Help me like this one. As i said before, it seems overwhelming. When I attack, it seems all I do is button mash and dodge. Maybe throw a few knives. My controller vibrates supposedly to tell me some important item is near but I can never find it. The wind tracking system is just annoying. The stand offs literally tell the whole camp you’re there, why would you want to do that? I had to put it on easy since the battles were so hard. I have these techniques and charms and all this BS I have no clue what to do with or why I have it. It just doesn’t seem interesting so far.
Old 07-30-20, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Help me like this one. As i said before, it seems overwhelming. When I attack, it seems all I do is button mash and dodge. Maybe throw a few knives. My controller vibrates supposedly to tell me some important item is near but I can never find it. The wind tracking system is just annoying. The stand offs literally tell the whole camp youíre there, why would you want to do that? I had to put it on easy since the battles were so hard. I have these techniques and charms and all this BS I have no clue what to do with or why I have it. It just doesnít seem interesting so far.

Hey nick and Congrads getting the game....

I'll chime in on what I've done but others have finished or on the tail-end.....

Starting out, yes it can be overwhelming when you look at "All The Combat Moves" as a whole...with Deflection and Evasion...then you see Stances and finally a slew of ghost Weapons and Options. But...it does get a bit easier depending on what you want to focus on; straight out frontal attack Ninja Style or when you get more beefier with gear (Swords & Armor) you can pretty much do any and all...

The Button Mashing...well you basically have ....L1 - Block/Parry....R1 - Throw Knives/Bombs/Chimes....."Square" - Assassinate.....O - Dodge.....X - Jump and ......"Triangle" - Heavy Attack......early on before getting all the stances I had to rely on a few in Evasion and Deflection. But now it's all switching stances and they all use basically the 'Triangle" with a Hold then tap, tap, tap. i really don't mess or worry about all the others tight now. Leveling up the Stances with Leveling up your Sword(s) and Armor , then with all the Ghost Weapons' and Abilities will be enough.....Note; I personally cannot emphasize enough Level Up Your Swords and your Armor and don't underestimate maxing the Assassination Blade Maxed Out.....I almost use The Ronin Set all the time....huge Buff to Melee damage.....and get all The Charm Slots; there's some good one out there that helps a lot.

Controller will vibrate when you have the travelers Outfit on and usually near say "Records"...which are usually found inside Buildings (be sure to check the attic areas) and some of the Shrines. I wear it all the time outside of combat to open up the Map.

Stand-offs...up to you on this one. Early on; really tough to pull since you usually have Spears and Archers to deal with after dealing with one...later you can level that up and take on 1-2 after the first one. Do the Stand-off, throw two knives out and take care of two and then look for High Grass. Lucky you can Assassinate one...use Bow for others.....Tip....Get use to rolling...a lot. but it goes back to earlier; Level Up Your Gear, Get Charms, Stances....

Old 07-30-20, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, so played for a couple of hours today and getting into it more. I realize that i made a huge mistake early on in this game by selecting the roll perk. Every single time i have been in a fight and tried dodging i have hit O twice instead of once and rolled away. Doing so always leaves you too far to easily strike and get back into a fight. I would advise anyone tk avoid this perk early on. I just jump now instead of rolling or dodging, makes it easier to fight.

One thing that is pissing me off is the constant cut scenes that cannot be skipped. Seems every two seconds a cut scene is coming up.

Starting to enjoy it more, but it could sure use more refinement in its gameplay.
Old 07-31-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Ok, so played for a couple of hours today and getting into it more. I realize that i made a huge mistake early on in this game by selecting the roll perk. Every single time i have been in a fight and tried dodging i have hit O twice instead of once and rolled away. Doing so always leaves you too far to easily strike and get back into a fight. I would advise anyone tk avoid this perk early on. I just jump now instead of rolling or dodging, makes it easier to fight.

One thing that is pissing me off is the constant cut scenes that cannot be skipped. Seems every two seconds a cut scene is coming up.

Starting to enjoy it more, but it could sure use more refinement in its gameplay.

There's three instances where I use Roll that has saved me countless times....when I fail a Standoff and your health takes a serious hit rolling away to give me time to heal....when one of those Big Shield guys starts to attack like that Jump Attack which I'll dash or roll back into attack them and when a Archer is firing while I'm attacking others just rolling to close the gap faster and take them out..

Question for those who finished the first area....I've covered the entire map and done about everything just having the Save the Uncle mission left....yet it is showing....17 of 24 Liberated....i know there is no other small Forts so any reason why I'm still showing seven more to do....Has something with Main Fort?
Old 07-31-20, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I know there is no other small Forts so any reason why I'm still showing seven more to do....Has something with Main Fort?
Wait until the start of Act II.
Old 07-31-20, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Wait until the start of Act II.

Oh ok then...but the weird thing is...when I hover over the Main Area, it shows..."17 of 24 Liberated"...I then hover over the bottom of the other Island and it shows something like..."0 of 15 Liberated" and then the upper part...."0 of 11 Liberated".....that's where I'm a bit confused.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.