Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Pro Controller is in stock right now on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swit...pro+controller

I'm really tempted, but $70 is too damn expensive. And I really want to get used to using the Joy-Cons since I know i'll be playing this on the go a lot.
This is exactly why I will pick up the pro controller. Much easier to go into portable mode when the joy cons are already attached and charged.
Old 03-03-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
I'm not so sure the pricing has anything to do with being closer to launch. the JoyCon sets, for example, are also outrageously priced but this is probably because of all the gimmicky BS Nintendo insisted on building into them.
The pro controller has those same gimmicks too: HD rumble, motion control, NFC read/write capability...
Old 03-03-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

So far after a few hours messing around with the Switch, i'm pretty happy with the purchase. I honestly feel like the Joy-Cons are more comfortable then what I expected both in tablet mode during the day at my desk at work and just now when I tried out Zelda on the TV. Tried moving from TV to tablet and vice versa and it really does work seemlessly. I might try buying Fast RMX to have another small and cheap game to mess around with, but I feel like Zelda alone will keep me busy for the next few weeks.

Also, the little snap sound when attaching the Joy-Cons is much more satisfying then it should be
Old 03-03-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

My biggest concern right now is the dock. It's nuts that Nintendo took such care to give the Joy-Cons that satisfying "click!" when connected, but there's nothing similar with the dock, so it takes some fiddling to actually connect. It's woefully lacking in padding inside, and scratching the screen seems inevitable.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-03-17 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

^^Yeah, not fond of that either. I taped a thin microfiber cloth on the screen side of the base.
Old 03-04-17, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SW-6108-9309-3213

Originally Posted by The Questyen
My friend code for anyone interested SW-7376-6200-8621.
Sent you a request.

Originally Posted by The Cow
^^Yeah, not fond of that either. I taped a thin microfiber cloth on the screen side of the base.
That's a good idea, going to do that myself.
Old 03-04-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Wait we're still dealing with friend codes on this system? Ugh.

Bought a glass cover for my Switch but of course it's backordered.

Apparently you can access other countries' eshops pretty easily, though you need cards from that country to buy, and it messes up your news feed.

I was tempted to buy another set of joycons but I guess I'll wait to see if there's fallout from this "left joycons connection error" problem that they're currently ignoring.
Old 03-04-17, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's woefully lacking in padding inside, and scratching the screen seems inevitable.
Reports online of scratched screens already. This is the kind of thing that boggles the mind. If you can't see this in the design phase, isn't that what durability testing is supposed to catch?

Also, the dock is supposedly really flimsy plastic..? And still a $90 item according to Nintendo
Old 03-04-17, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Yesterday, I stopped by a local Toys 'R' Us on the way to work about 4-5 minutes before the store opened. A sign said they only had 10 Gray Switches and I noticed there were more than 10 people waiting out front.

Luckily for me, they had only given out 6 vouchers of their allotted 10. Picked up Zelda with the Console and later in the day bought the Charging Grip & Pro Controller from local Gamestop & Target stores.
Old 03-04-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Charging grip seems like it's not as necessary unless you have a second joycon, is it?

Even the pro controller isn't that necessary yet, since Zelda seems okay playing with the joycon plus grip. Though I haven't even cracked open the pro controller yet.
Old 03-04-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The dock scratching worries me a bit too, although i'm not as paranoid as some of the other people on GAF. I actually think i'll spend more time with it in handheld mode and knowing to be careful when sliding it in I hope will be enough to avoid any scratches.

The dock really is crappy though; I don't care about the quality of the plastic, but it really is just a small chip converting USB-C to HDMI, USB, and charging ports. All the other plastic shell pieces is superfluous.

That said, last night went from playing Zelda on the PC to playing another 30 minutes in bed in tablet mode. Worked great
Old 03-04-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I realize I'm probably late on this, but the charging grip doesn't even have a battery pack? It's just a pass through charge? And they couldn't bother to just put it in as default with the console?
Old 03-04-17, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I realize I'm probably late on this, but the charging grip doesn't even have a battery pack? It's just a pass through charge? And they couldn't bother to just put it in as default with the console?
I'm okay with it not having a battery pack included, presumably you could use any USB-A charger, right? But, it absolutely should have been included with the console, that's the biggest missing thing for the way I am set up.
Old 03-04-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Charging grip seems like it's not as necessary unless you have a second joycon, is it?

Even the pro controller isn't that necessary yet, since Zelda seems okay playing with the joycon plus grip. Though I haven't even cracked open the pro controller yet.
I bought the Pro Controller mostly to prep for Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers in May, as silly as that sounds. Hori announced an arcade stick today for the Nintendo Switch but I don't need to buy another arcade stick, especially not for a game that I just want to enjoy casually (as opposed to other Fighting Games I play).

This article has a good write-up on the accessories, with the site's final verdict as not needing anything offered from Nintendo on Launch.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1404...-charging-grip
Old 03-04-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agreed, really makes no sense that the default grip isn't a charging grip. I think Nintendo's done a terrible job overall with their accessories with the Switch.
Old 03-04-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I feel like Nintendo is saying a lot of good things about their Indie games. Hope it all actually comes true.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/4/1479...-game-strategy

“We’re not launching with 32 titles day one; we learned that lesson from Wii U,” said Damon Baker, head of partner management for Nintendo’s publisher and developer relations team. He said Nintendo wanted to make sure the games released connected with the audience, but also met certain standards.

Instead of that flood, new indie titles will be hitting the Nintendo Switch’s eShop every week, Baker said. The titles confirmed Tuesday had a slew of release windows, from spring and summer to a more vague “2017.” While it seems counter-intuitive to stagger releases instead of having a full slate for launch day, Baker said being selective was key to Nintendo’s decision making.

According to Kirk Scott, Nintendo’s head of indie relations, the company let three defining traits guide its selection of indie titles for Switch: “great IP, plays together, plays great anywhere.” But there are also things they aren’t looking for, namely, games that have been out a long time on other platforms that’d be finally making their Nintendo debut. Instead, Nintendo is looking for titles that may be making a console debut on Nintendo Switch, or bring a new feature to the platform, though that won’t exclude titles that already exist on PC.
“With the Wii U, we went out of our way to push all the bells and whistles before we realized which of those bells and whistles would stick,” Baker said, meaning console features like the second screen — barely used beyond first-party titles.
Old 03-04-17, 03:10 PM
Banned

I think Nintendo's done a terrible job overall with their accessories with the Switch.
It's quite clear they've decided they can follow Apple's lead on profit-milking.
Old 03-04-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Anyone having trouble with WiFi? A friend of mine had a lot of trouble last night getting it to connect.
Old 03-04-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I feel like Nintendo is saying a lot of good things about their Indie games. Hope it all actually comes true.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/4/1479...-game-strategy
I dunno. Turning away games just because they've already been on other consoles seems boneheaded to me not to mention a bit hypocritical. First Nintendo has been starved of third-party support and they're gonna turn developers away? Ooookay. Also are they already abandoning their ace in the hole? Even if a game is on PS4, Xbox or PC, suddenly it's more attractive because it's portable. Second, their two flagship launch window titles(Zelda & Mario Kart) are games that are on another console. lol

They have an unproven console, hot on the heels of a commercial failure, that needs games to get people in. Turning games away is a bold strategy.
Old 03-04-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Kids had a blast with 1-2 Switch last night and my son played Zelda for a decent chunk of the day. Overall, very happy with the purchase!
Old 03-04-17, 06:56 PM
Banned

Turning away games just because they've already been on other consoles seems boneheaded to me not to mention a bit hypocritical. First Nintendo has been starved of third-party support and they're gonna turn developers away?
Generally agree, but in the launch window I can understand wanting to highlight that this game, this game and that one too are all only available on Switch. Seems to strengthen the console's reason to exist in the wake of that commercial failure (Wii U).
Old 03-04-17, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I dunno. Turning away games just because they've already been on other consoles seems boneheaded to me not to mention a bit hypocritical. First Nintendo has been starved of third-party support and they're gonna turn developers away? Ooookay. Also are they already abandoning their ace in the hole? Even if a game is on PS4, Xbox or PC, suddenly it's more attractive because it's portable. Second, their two flagship launch window titles(Zelda & Mario Kart) are games that are on another console. lol

They have an unproven console, hot on the heels of a commercial failure, that needs games to get people in. Turning games away is a bold strategy.
You're fixated on "turning away games" in your response but the article never says thats happening at all, at least not what I gleaned from it. Especially since they are getting games that have been out for some time (like Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight). I think it's more about their developer relations team and who they've been reaching out to as far as the games they actually want to bring to the Switch and making sure they made sense.

To me it's about them not trying to chase stuff that's been out for awhile on other consoles just for "parity" with Sony and Microsoft (and thus wasting time/money) to try and have a developer port a game that a lot of people already own elsewhere and may not be likely to buy twice. It never says anything about preventing a developer from porting a game if they want to.
Old 03-04-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah they're not turning away games, if anything they're using it as an excuse why the launch lineup is so poor but that's not the case. What is I am Setsuna or Shovel Knight or non indie Just Dance bringing that they don't on other systems. Heck one of the games coming out is Lego City Undercover... not a remake, but the same game with coop, also coming out on other systems at the same time. They'll take whatever you can shovel in there.

Completely forgot about Skylanders Imaginators which is basically a WiiU port.

Man the range on the controllers is terrible, it's almost like it has to be line of sight or my left one won't work.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-05-17 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-05-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

You're fixated on "turning away games" in your response but the article never says thats happening at all, at least not what I gleaned from it. Especially since they are getting games that have been out for some time (like Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight). I think it's more about their developer relations team and who they've been reaching out to as far as the games they actually want to bring to the Switch and making sure they made sense.
Gotcha. I only read what was quoted. That's my mistake.

To me it's about them not trying to chase stuff that's been out for awhile on other consoles just for "parity" with Sony and Microsoft (and thus wasting time/money) to try and have a developer port a game that a lot of people already own elsewhere and may not be likely to buy twice. It never says anything about preventing a developer from porting a game if they want to.
Yet they still want people to buy Super Mario Bros. for the 11th time.

People have their favorite games that they'd rebuy to have on the go. I'd probably double/triple dip on something like Rez or Rogue Legacy to have that portable option... if I were going to actually take a Switch on the go.
Old 03-05-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Gotcha. I only read what was quoted. That's my mistake.

Yet they still want people to buy Super Mario Bros. for the 11th time.

People have their favorite games that they'd rebuy to have on the go. I'd probably double/triple dip on something like Rez or Rogue Legacy to have that portable option... if I were going to actually take a Switch on the go.
What I quoted never mentions turning away games either

And it's obviously easier to port games that they own themselves rather then seek out developers asking them to do so. I don't think there's the hypocrisy that you're trying to make it sound like exists here.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-05-17 at 09:55 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.