Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-17-17, 01:58 PM   #1076
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Can you elaborate on why you couldn't charge them? I haven't been keeping up on the ins and outs. But yeah, Nintendo is really fast about getting those Joycons back.
Not exactly sure what he means but the grip which comes with the Switch doesn't have a charging port on it. You have to buy one separately which is exaclty the same, just with the ability to charge. Out of the box you can only charge the Joycons when they're connected to the console. They don't have their own charging ports either.
Old 04-17-17, 02:00 PM   #1077
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Not exactly sure what he means but the grip which comes with the Switch doesn't have a charging port on it. You have to buy one separately which is exaclty the same, just with the ability to charge. Out of the box you can only charge the Joycons when they're connected to the console. They don't have their own charging ports either.
Oh yeah, I knew that part, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason why you couldn't throw new Joy-cons on the Switch itself and recharge them.
Old 04-17-17, 02:03 PM   #1078
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Oh yeah, I knew that part, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason why you couldn't just throw new Joy-cons on the Switch itself and recharge them.
No reason at all as far as I know. Just makes it more difficult since if you're traveling, you're going to lower the battery life of the console by charging the joycons.
Old 04-17-17, 02:04 PM   #1079
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Oh yeah, I knew that part, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason why you couldn't just throw new Joy-cons on the Switch itself and recharge them.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Assuming you want all four fully charged, you'd have to like continually switch them back and forth. I'm not sure how fast the battery drains but I assume for a game like Arms it'll drain fast or they wouldn't have already introduced a battery pack.
Old 04-17-17, 02:11 PM   #1080
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Fair, I assume things like:

https://www.amazon.com/TopACE-Ninten...+Joycon+Charge

Will be more common (and cheaper) soon.
Old 04-17-17, 02:11 PM   #1081
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

My experience has been, when I have it docked, I leave the joy-cons attached and use the Pro controller. When I'm done, I plug the Pro controller in to charge it. When I'm going portable, I pull the Switch out of the dock and go, since the joy-cons are already attached. Basically... I have no real reason to un-attach the joy-cons, except for when I absolutely need to use them (see multiplayer games like Snipperclips).

edit: I only have the original joy-cons that came with it, though. I didn't buy an extra set.
Old 04-17-17, 02:16 PM   #1082
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My experience has been, when I have it docked, I leave the joy-cons attached and use the Pro controller. When I'm done, I plug the Pro controller in to charge it. When I'm going portable, I pull the Switch out of the dock and go, since the joy-cons are already attached. Basically... I have no real reason to un-attach the joy-cons, except for when I absolutely need to use them (see multiplayer games like Snipperclips).

edit: I only have the original joy-cons that came with it, though. I didn't buy an extra set.
Yup, that's exactly what I do, which is also why I don't know how long they take to drain.
Old 04-17-17, 02:19 PM   #1083
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

^ 20 hours of standard use (Joy-cons), probably less on a rumble heavy game like 1,2, Switch or I'm sure Arms.
Old 04-17-17, 06:58 PM   #1084
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SuperData Says Nintendo Sold 2.4 Million Switch Consoles Worldwide in March

Now predicted to sell 7.2 million consoles in 2017

Of course, in recent times there have been reports of Nintendo ramping up manufacturing for this financial year. All will become clearer on 27th April with Nintendo's annual financial reports and related presentations - we should find out exact launch sales and the company's own projected figures when those reports are issued.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...dwide_in_march
Old 04-17-17, 07:02 PM   #1085
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

It's funny, the Vita isn't and wasn't even on my radar when it came to handhelds. I was much more interested in what Nintendo had because of their games and owned a DS Lite and 3DS XL. That basically continues with the Switch.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-18-17, 08:11 AM   #1086
Dash
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully one of these days the switch will be available online so I can actually buy one. Living overseas makes it pretty hard to go into a store and pick one up.

Luckily there are enough games out on pc to hold me over until then.
Old 04-18-17, 12:21 PM   #1087
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Hopefully one of these days the switch will be available online so I can actually buy one. Living overseas makes it pretty hard to go into a store and pick one up.

Luckily there are enough games out on pc to hold me over until then.
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogamin...intendoswitch/

If you don't mind buying a Mario Kart bundle, Gamestop is currently taking pre-orders. Though they force Zelda + Expansion pack and a 128 gb MicroSD on you as well.

So that's $60 (Kart), $60 (Zelda), $20 (Expansion Pass), and $60 (128gb MicroSD)... Unfortunately that also means a $35 shipping fee.

May not be terrible though if you consider the lack of tax and if you're making bank in Cayman dollars.
Old 04-18-17, 01:49 PM   #1088
Dash
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogamin...intendoswitch/

If you don't mind buying a Mario Kart bundle, Gamestop is currently taking pre-orders. Though they force Zelda + Expansion pack and a 128 gb MicroSD on you as well.

So that's $60 (Kart), $60 (Zelda), $20 (Expansion Pass), and $60 (128gb MicroSD)... Unfortunately that also means a $35 shipping fee.

May not be terrible though if you consider the lack of tax and if you're making bank in Cayman dollars.
Thanks, I'm going to have to consider this. of course I have to ship it to the US so ill pay sales tax, then a 20% import duty to get it here. If my friend cant find me one, this is the option Ill go.
Old 04-19-17, 06:35 PM   #1089
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can anyone tell a difference?

Old 04-19-17, 06:50 PM   #1090
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

One is portable? Otherwise they could have all been from the WiiU version and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Still less of a rip than SFII will be, though.
Old 04-20-17, 08:38 AM   #1091
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

The Switch version definitely looks cleaner (less haze) and sharper, presumably from the increase of 720p to 1080p, but yeah, wasn't expecting a huge jump there considering it's the same game going from Wii U to portable Wii U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
One is portable? Otherwise they could have all been from the WiiU version and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Still less of a rip than SFII will be, though.
Which, strangely enough, is still a better deal than SF V was.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-20-17 at 08:47 AM..
Old 04-20-17, 12:38 PM   #1092
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe reviews are out. 94 so far on Metacritic with 35 reviews in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switc...?dist=positive

Old 04-22-17, 04:03 PM   #1093
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

A little more detail from NPD about the Switch's colossally successful launch:

Quote:
March 2017 will go down in history books as the month Nintendo broke records.

The Nintendo Switch had the biggest hardware launch for a Nintendo platform and the second biggest launch for any video game platform since 1995, the time NPD began tracking this category.
In this debut month (month 1), the Nintendo Switch sold 31K more units than previous best-selling Nintendo month-1 platform, the Game Boy Advance, which released back in June 2001. The two Nintendo Switch SKUs, the 32GB Gray Joy-Con, followed by the 32GB Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con, were the best-selling systems for the month.
Only the PS4 had a stronger launch in the U.S. The Switch's launch outperformed the Wii, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and...well, everything, basically.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 04-24-17 at 04:22 PM..
Old 04-25-17, 12:39 PM   #1094
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Puyo Puyo Tetris reviews are out. 81 so far on MetaCritic with 25 reviews in. Destructoid in particular seems to really love it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/puyo-puyo-tetris

Seems perfect as a digital title to pick up and play on a portable device. Lame that it's $10 cheaper on PS4 though (physical, anyway?)

Old 04-25-17, 12:52 PM   #1095
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

It's the same price digitally (30 bucks) on the Switch, though. From what I understand the physical release is a limited release with the two keychains. At least this isn't because of the "Switch tax" like other games.

It's also already up on the store.
Old 04-25-17, 12:53 PM   #1096
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone seen a release date for Hollow Knight on Switch? Really want to pick it up but I'd rather be able to play on the go rather than on PC.
Old 04-25-17, 12:55 PM   #1097
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
It's the same price digitally (30 bucks) on the Switch, though. From what I understand the physical release is a limited release with the two keychains. At least this isn't because of the "Switch tax" like other games.

It's also already up on the store.
Yeah, I edited my post once I noticed it was just the physical copy. I'm going to go ahead and buy the game on the eShop.

Old 04-25-17, 12:56 PM   #1098
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
At least this isn't because of the "Switch tax" like other games.
Maybe I'm being a conspiracy theorist here, but I suspect that the Switch Tax is in full effect, and the keychains are cheap tchotchkes meant to ease the sting somewhat.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 04-25-17, 12:57 PM   #1099
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't have a memory card so I'm actually happy Puyo takes up so little space.

What are people doing about Mario Kart? On the one hand, GCU/Prime makes it cheaper for physical, but on the other hand it seems like a game like Puyo where it'd be handy not to have to swap out cartridges.

Also Puyo Puyo Tetris is awesome, but if you're unsure try the demo and watch the tutorials it includes. Also keep in mind the opponents vary in difficulty, when I first started the demo I randomly picked opponents and I would just get utterly destroyed.
Old 04-25-17, 01:05 PM   #1100
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
What are people doing about Mario Kart? On the one hand, GCU/Prime makes it cheaper for physical, but on the other hand it seems like a game like Puyo where it'd be handy not to have to swap out cartridges.
I went through that same dilemma. Even though I'm generally the type to go physical whenever possible, using the Switch primarily as a console and it being a bit more of a hassle to change games had me seriously considering going digital here, especially since the filesize isn't that hefty in the first place. I did ultimately wind up getting the physical release, in part because of GCU, in part because of my annoying collectors' mentality, and in part because the box looks kinda cool. Since my wife loves playing with wheels, I'll have to detach a joy-con and put it in a wheel anyway, so swapping out a cart as part of that process isn't a big deal.
-Patton Oswalt