Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Mike86
The points system is basically useless I agree. Might as well not even have it but whatever. At least the eShop offers decent deals a lot of times.
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Wow, that is fucking ridiculous. But at the same time, it's Nintendo, so I can't say I'm surprised.
Originally Posted by Decker
Don't you get it man? If you spend $6000 in the eShop, you'l earn A FREE GAME!!!!!

Even after using some points last year and having some others expire (which *is* bullshit) I was just able to buy Vs. Super Mario Bros. for $1. Sure it was only $7 saved, but I'll take it considering all I had to do to earn the discount was buy games I was already buying anyway.

Honest questions, do either Microsoft or Sony have rewards programs? If they do, is it easier to earn full-priced games for free than it theoretically is on the Switch?

Last edited by ultimaton; 03-06-18 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

They are brilliant though. I get excited when a Nintendo eshop game is on sale for like 10, 20 percent off, when that wouldnt even register with me on PSN. Like they've trained me to really value their games by not slashing prices to ridiculous degrees a couple months after a game releases. Not as good for the consumer but hopefully good for the game publishers.
Old 03-06-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Honest questions, do either Microsoft or Sony have rewards programs? If they do, is it easier to earn full-priced games for free than it theoretically is on the Switch?
Sony has one you can sign up for. You get digital currency based on trophies you earn. I think it comes out to something like each platinum is around a dollar.
Old 03-06-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Microsoft has the Live Gold stuff. Basically you can download and keep a couple free games per month (of their choosing and varying quality) as well as discounts. That comes with your subscription to Xbox Live. It’d be nice if Nintendo had a similar program to that or just a better point system.
Old 03-06-18, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There are Xbox Rewards that let you do activities, surveys, or get points for buying certain games each month.

https://rewards.xbox.com/en-US/

Microsoft also has Bing Rewards that let you earn points for searching on Bing that let you can use towards Microsoft/Xbox credit. I earn $5-10 here and there every month or two for "free" that I use towards games.
Old 03-06-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The thing is a portable, why is he taking up your tv!

Just spend the 80 bucks on a second dock.
I refuse to buy another dock. This allows me to control his game time better.
Old 03-06-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Microsoft has the Live Gold stuff. Basically you can download and keep a couple free games per month (of their choosing and varying quality) as well as discounts. That comes with your subscription to Xbox Live. It’d be nice if Nintendo had a similar program to that or just a better point system.
That's really more analogous to the upcoming Nintendo Switch Online paid service, which will also be offering free games in some capacity.
Old 03-06-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There are Xbox Rewards that let you do activities, surveys, or get points for buying certain games each month.

https://rewards.xbox.com/en-US/

Microsoft also has Bing Rewards that let you earn points for searching on Bing that let you can use towards Microsoft/Xbox credit. I earn $5-10 here and there every month or two for "free" that I use towards games.
Hm, for some reason I stopped getting their e-mails and completely forgot about Xbox Rewards, looks like it's been about three years since I've been there. Thanks.
Old 03-07-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I know the main reason My Nintendo rewards is so disappointing to me is because I am compairing it to how awesome Club Nintendo was.
Old 03-07-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I know the main reason My Nintendo rewards is so disappointing to me is because I am compairing it to how awesome Club Nintendo was.
Yeah, I wasn’t in that but I know I know some of my friends were and some of the physical rewards looked cool. Not sure what they offered for games rewards or whatever.
Old 03-07-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 03-07-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I wish we would hear about an Animal Crossing game for the Switch.
Old 03-07-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I wish we would hear about an Animal Crossing game for the Switch.
I'd think they would hold that off until the mobile game dies down a bit. Unlike the fire emblem or mario mobile games, the AC mobile game would be like a direct competitor for any kind of switch version.

Plus the cynical side of me thinks that they want to hold off until they finalize their online strategy.
Old 03-07-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Plus the cynical side of me thinks that they want to hold off until they finalize their online strategy.
So what you're saying is we'll never see AC on Switch. Got it!
Old 03-07-18, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, Animal Crossing is still a thing!!?? We got into it big time years ago when it came out on the Wii but the excitement of keeping up with it died within a year. I thought it was long dead.

Wow!
Old 03-07-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
So what you're saying is we'll never see AC on Switch. Got it!
Ok, that's more cynical than my cynical side. I mean, they have a motivation to work on it now that they announced they're charging for it, I hope.
Old 03-07-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Ok, that's more cynical than my cynical side. I mean, they have a motivation to work on it now that they announced they're charging for it, I hope.
I'm certainly hopeful. Love the AC games. However, I have no faith in Nintendo regarding an online strategy at this point. If they haven't been able to do it by now (or didn't care to, for whatever reason), just give up.
Old 03-07-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to seeing what’s in store for tomorrow’s Direct. Seems likely that Mario Tennis Aces will be right around the corner since they’re promoting it. Probably one of their main summer releases. I wonder what else they’ve got up their sleeves.
Old 03-07-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I assume we'll see some Diablo 3 footage as well. Since that's still in demand and hugely relevant. ... and I'll be buying it if the release timeframe is right.
Old 03-07-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Unlike the fire emblem or mario mobile games, the AC mobile game would be like a direct competitor for any kind of switch version.
Have you played the mobile Animal Crossing? Even with as obsessed as I was with New Leaf on the 3DS, I never actually dove into the mobile version, but the reception seemed to be so negative that it doesn't sound like Nintendo carried over what made the mainline games so addictive. Seems to be such a missed opportunity since what makes AC so great ought to translate perfectly to mobile -- maybe even more than any other Nintendo franchise.
Old 03-07-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Have you played the mobile Animal Crossing? Even with as obsessed as I was with New Leaf on the 3DS, I never actually dove into the mobile version, but the reception seemed to be so negative that it doesn't sound like Nintendo carried over what made the mainline games so addictive. Seems to be such a missed opportunity since what makes AC so great ought to translate perfectly to mobile -- maybe even more than any other Nintendo franchise.
I haven't beyond downloading it and letting my daughter play a little. Is it dying? I didn't realize, I thought people liked it.

Note that the 3DS version is still perfectly serviceable, my daughter has picked it up again and is playing it (since they added Amiibo support), but I really think you either need a complete overhaul and/or expanded online stuff for it to not just be a rehash.
Old 03-07-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have never played a Kirby game before but I downloaded the Kirby Star Allies demo. The game looks adorable for lack of a better word and my 3 kids LOVE the multiplayer aspect. Basically Kirby can throw a heart at an enemy and they become friends. Then another play can control the friend, up to 4 total players.

I'll probably go ahead and buy it with the Amazon Prime discount.
Old 03-07-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Ebay item #253470580530 - Paypal Digital Gifts is selling $50 eShop Gift Cards for $42.50. I just bought a couple.

atxbomber, if you thought that the Nintendo Gold points deal was great, this is quite literally FIFTEEN TIMES BETTER!
Old 03-07-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the heads up, they've been doing it the past couple of months but they usually have limited quantities and sell out pretty quickly.
Old 03-07-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got Kirby Star Allies on pre-order already. Staple Nintendo franchise and I normally enjoy the Kirby games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.