Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I haven't followed pre-release news super close, but was there any mention of Wii U games (specifically the two Zelda remasters or Mario) making their way to the Switch? I know there's no backwards compatability out of the box, but maybe eshop?
Old 03-05-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Not yet. Nintendo has said almost nothing about Virtual Console in general.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-05-17 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-05-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

You would think given the success of the NES classic that they would at least have nes/snes games on there, at least something to fill out the App Store so it isn't so bare. Someone mentioned to me that they missed the boat on not releasing this before Xmas, but there is so little done (lack of games and no apps, still using friend codes, no backwards compatibility) that it seems like they rushed this out to even make this date.

I mean no wonder they're giving a free trial to their online service (besides the fact that there are so few online games), they haven't even revealed what the heck it's going to include.
Old 03-05-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

My wife and I love Snipperclips, but it's incredibly short. In two playthroughs (one of which was cut short because I hadn't actually charged the Joy-Con batteries), we've made it 2/3rds of the way through the game. 3 worlds. 45 puzzles, a good number of which are extremely quick to finish. You could probably play through the whole thing in 2 or 3 hours.
Old 03-05-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
People have their favorite games that they'd rebuy to have on the go. I'd probably double/triple dip on something like Rez or Rogue Legacy to have that portable option... if I were going to actually take a Switch on the go.
Or they buy it once on the PS4 and get it for free on the Vita. Or even better with Rogue Legacy, get both versions free with PS+.
Old 03-06-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...itch-in-the-uk

Speaking to retailers this morning, Nintendo Switch has sold around 80,000 units in the UK during its opening weekend.

That's double the number of Wii U consoles that were sold during its opening weekend (40,000 back in late 2013).

It's not as high as 3DS' debut, which was 113,000 according to Nintendo. Nor does it come close to the PS4 launch (250,000) or the Xbox One launch (150,000).

However, it is a solid performance for the machine. There wasn't a huge number of units pushed into the channel (most major retailers are sold out) and the marketing and PR campaign was truncated and arrived late in the day. Retailers tell us that they were very happy with the launch and one store even declared: "Nintendo is back."

However, it is still early days. 3DS' sales fell off sharply after its launch weekend, for instance. That machine had a busy launch line-up and then little else for months and Nintendo will hope the upcoming launches of Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and Arms will avoid a similar fate for its new device. We'll have a clearer idea of where Switch is heading once we are though Christmas.
Seems like it's off to an ok start - glad to see it appears to be doing better then the Wii U.
Old 03-06-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
My wife and I love Snipperclips, but it's incredibly short. In two playthroughs (one of which was cut short because I hadn't actually charged the Joy-Con batteries), we've made it 2/3rds of the way through the game. 3 worlds. 45 puzzles, a good number of which are extremely quick to finish. You could probably play through the whole thing in 2 or 3 hours.
Have you played FAST RMX yet? I think I'm getting one or the other.
Old 03-06-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been having a lot of problems with the controllers when the system is on the dock. I'm only about 10 ft away from it, but if I don't maintain line of sight or a certain angle my left stick stops responding. I am up to date on system updates. Pretty disappointing.
Old 03-06-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by cleaver
Have you played FAST RMX yet? I think I'm getting one or the other.
I'm thinking about it but haven't given it a shot yet. My wife is more the racer of the two of us, and she finds the more futuristic stuff kind of disorienting.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've been having a lot of problems with the controllers when the system is on the dock. I'm only about 10 ft away from it, but if I don't maintain line of sight or a certain angle my left stick stops responding. I am up to date on system updates. Pretty disappointing.
Nintendo posted a thing on their support site about possible workarounds, but yeah, it's pretty dumb, and this is the sort of thing that really shouldn't catch Nintendo by surprise.

Eurogamer also put together some pretty solid analysis, although it basically just tells you what you've already figured out.

Other people are saying that they're having disconnection issues even with no interference, and some have said that swapping out Joy-Cons -- without changing anything else -- solved the issue. I wonder if there are some severe variances in production too. Like, maybe some people are having interference issues. Some people just have lousy Joy-Cons. The results are the same in both cases, making it tougher to tell what the problem is.

I read somewhere that it plays better in the charging grip (as opposed to the one that comes with the system), although I don't know if that's actually been confirmed. Even then, that wouldn't help with something like Snipperclips or Arms where you're supposed to have the Joy-Cons out of the grip.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-06-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, I was having the issues with the left joycon. It annoyed me so much that I shelled out 70 for the Pro Controller. I can't be having issues while I'm playing Zelda, which is amazing.
Old 03-06-17, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've experienced this as well.
Old 03-06-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I only have problems with the left joycon. Or maybe it's more pronounced because that's the one with the stick. But it's such a pain when you're in a battle with link and he either stops moving or keeps moving without stopping.

I guess it's not a problem when you're on a rooftop with your hipster friends because there's no interference and the screen is so small you can't be that far away. I guess they took the short cords from the nes classic and adapted them to the wireless interface on the switch. Gotta have consistency.

As for sales, I'd think that mainly has to do with how many they shipped. Wasn't the WiiU sold out everywhere for a few weeks, before scalpers found that they couldn't unload them and they all got returned?

BTW, there are reports that the premium Hori screen protector is somehow getting the adhesive melted when the switch is docked. Also, perhaps the scratching of the screens on the dock are because some of the docks are partially warped (see if the front of your dock is straight by putting it against a book...)
Old 03-06-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nintendo posted a thing on their support site about possible workarounds, but yeah, it's pretty dumb, and this is the sort of thing that really shouldn't catch Nintendo by surprise.

Eurogamer also put together some pretty solid analysis, although it basically just tells you what you've already figured out.

Other people are saying that they're having disconnection issues even with no interference, and some have said that swapping out Joy-Cons -- without changing anything else -- solved the issue. I wonder if there are some severe variances in production too. Like, maybe some people are having interference issues. Some people just have lousy Joy-Cons. The results are the same in both cases, making it tougher to tell what the problem is.

I read somewhere that it plays better in the charging grip (as opposed to the one that comes with the system), although I don't know if that's actually been confirmed. Even then, that wouldn't help with something like Snipperclips or Arms where you're supposed to have the Joy-Cons out of the grip.
Thanks for the info. My wireless is fairly close - definitely within 4 feet of the base. I actually have a superlong HDMI cable somewhere meant for in-wall installation. Maybe I'll just run it to the end table and keep the base there.
Old 03-06-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just beware. In their infinite wisdom, Nintendo tied in all saves to the system. So if for some reason you need to replace it (and some have said on reddit that Nintendo asked them to send in the console for this syncing issue), there's no way to recover your Zelda save. Well, and your other saves also, but it's not like there are any other games out for the system.
Old 03-06-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Against my better judgement, I'm pretty sure I'll buy one of these sooner rather than later. I have so many reservations about this, but it's new tech, a new console, and I cannot not get one.

The one thing I just cannot let go of is the lack of a headphone jack on any of the controllers. I hook all my consoles up to a computer monitor in the office rather than a tv, and the only thing my computer speakers are hooked up to is, well, the computer, which means I'm using headphones any time I'm gaming on a console. Not a huge deal, but an inconvenience for sure.
Old 03-06-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Reggie sez:

Friday and Saturday sales for the Switch exceeded first two-day sales in the Americas for any system in Nintendo history, including the Wii (and in March to boot!). Breath of the Wild for the Switch is the best-selling standalone launch title in Nintendo history, beating even Super Mario 64. (Pack-ins like Wii Sports don't count in this comparison.)
Old 03-06-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Hard not to be best selling title when there is nothing else to buy.
Old 03-06-17, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I created a new account, set it to Japan, linked a new user on my switch to it and bam, access to the JP eshop. Downloaded the Dragonquest Heroes demo (wow the framerate is terrible) and the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, though if I want to buy anything I have to go buy JP eshop cards as it won't take my credit card. Still pretty cool.

Oh one other caveat is that a lot of the news on my switch is in Japanese now...
Old 03-06-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I hear that Puyo Puyo Tetris demo is a good showcase for the HD rumble.
Old 03-06-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good start for Nintendo. Anecdotally it seemed like they did a decent job with stocking the systems at launch, judging by accounts of how Target and Best Buy having units for walk in purchases the first day.
Old 03-06-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

System launch woes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cb-srOfRqNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

^ I don't recall that level of problems a few days in on a consol before.
Old 03-06-17, 08:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I was semi-tempted, but not anymore. No way in hell am I buying this now.
Old 03-06-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nintendo's quality control in numerous aspects really seems poor this go around. I'm glad I haven't seen any major issues yet on my side, but definitely scary.
Old 03-06-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Wow, this has disaster written all over it. I would be scared to death docking or undocking this thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.