Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 10:39 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
There are actually a ton of games that have never been on sale to my knowledge, like Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders 2, BoxBoy, etc. According to DekuDeals, something like 600 games are their lowest ever.
Yeah, I was mainly talking about the first party games.

Today, Best Buy is giving a $5 Best Buy gift card with a purchase of a $50 eShop card. It's been a while since I've seen the cards on sale, it seems like they used to be regularly 10% off, and sometimes 20% off, but maybe I'm not following the deals as closely as I used to.
Old 06-10-20, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Yeah, I was mainly talking about the first party games.

Today, Best Buy is giving a $5 Best Buy gift card with a purchase of a $50 eShop card. It's been a while since I've seen the cards on sale, it seems like they used to be regularly 10% off, and sometimes 20% off, but maybe I'm not following the deals as closely as I used to.
Those three are first party games (or at least published by Nintendo).

If you have a costco membership, $50 eshop cards are 44.99.
Old 06-10-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

Nintendo comes clean about their hack at last :

Nintendo said a total of 300,000 accounts have been hacked

By Shannon Liao, CNN Business

Updated 4:32 PM ET, Tue June 9, 2020
New York (CNN Business)A total of 300,000 Nintendo accounts have been breached since the beginning of April, the company revealed Tuesday, as hackers used others' Nintendo Network IDs without permission.

The hack was first discovered in April, and at the time, Nintendo said users wouldno longer need to use these IDs to log into their accounts, and that passwords on accounts that may have been breached would be reset. Previously, the company said 160,000 accounts were hacked, but on June 9 it updated those numbers to a whopping 300,000.
Nintendo discovered the additional hacked accounts after continuing its investigation, the company said Tuesday in a statement written in Japanese on its website. The company also stated that it is taking additional security measures. Only a small fraction of the breached accounts were used to make fraudulent purchases and refunds for these customers are nearly complete, the companysaid.
Nintendo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.In April, social mediausers began complaining about missing funds from their Nintendo accounts and, in some cases, that their money was usedto buy Fortnite's virtual currency, V-Bucks.

In addition to logging in to potentially play other users' games, the hackers were also able to see individuals' date of birth, country or region and email addresses. They could also access payment services linked to these accounts, including PayPal accounts or credit cards to buy items on Nintendo's platform.
"We sincerely apologize to our customers and related parties for any inconvenience and concern. In the future, we will make further efforts to strengthen security and ensure safety so that similar events do not occur," said Nintendo in an April announcement.

'Paper Mario' is coming to the Nintendo Switch in July
A Nintendo Network ID is a unique username and password used mainly for older Nintendo 3DS and Wii U consoles. On the newer Nintendo Switch, users can simply create an account using an email address, although it was possible to link it to the Nintendo Network ID.Nintendo encouraged customers to check their purchase history for any unauthorized transactions and then request a refund. Credit card information wasn't exposed, according to the company.
The company is emailing affected users, urging them to change their passwords. Anyone who previouslyused a Nintendo Network ID to log in should now use their Nintendo account email address instead. For an extra layer of security, the company is also asking people to set up two-factor authentication, adding a second method of verification such as linking to another app that will generate a code for each login.
Old 06-10-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up.

I didn't have Two-Factor Authentication on my account, so I went ahead and set that up.
Old 06-11-20, 07:53 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Pretty huge sale going on right now for Switch games, mostly the regulars that have been going on sale (Mario Tennis, New Super Mario, Mario Party, etc), but lots to choose from, keep scrolling down for more deals.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/
I picked up “Child of Light” (Deluxe) for $5.
Old 06-11-20, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Nintendo comes clean about their hack at last :

Nintendo said a total of 300,000 accounts have been hacked

By Shannon Liao, CNN Business

Updated 4:32 PM ET, Tue June 9, 2020
New York (CNN Business)A total of 300,000 Nintendo accounts have been breached since the beginning of April, the company revealed Tuesday, as hackers used others' Nintendo Network IDs without permission.

The hack was first discovered in April, and at the time, Nintendo said users wouldno longer need to use these IDs to log into their accounts, and that passwords on accounts that may have been breached would be reset. Previously, the company said 160,000 accounts were hacked, but on June 9 it updated those numbers to a whopping 300,000.
Nintendo discovered the additional hacked accounts after continuing its investigation, the company said Tuesday in a statement written in Japanese on its website. The company also stated that it is taking additional security measures. Only a small fraction of the breached accounts were used to make fraudulent purchases and refunds for these customers are nearly complete, the companysaid.
Nintendo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.In April, social mediausers began complaining about missing funds from their Nintendo accounts and, in some cases, that their money was usedto buy Fortnite's virtual currency, V-Bucks.

In addition to logging in to potentially play other users' games, the hackers were also able to see individuals' date of birth, country or region and email addresses. They could also access payment services linked to these accounts, including PayPal accounts or credit cards to buy items on Nintendo's platform.
"We sincerely apologize to our customers and related parties for any inconvenience and concern. In the future, we will make further efforts to strengthen security and ensure safety so that similar events do not occur," said Nintendo in an April announcement.

'Paper Mario' is coming to the Nintendo Switch in July
A Nintendo Network ID is a unique username and password used mainly for older Nintendo 3DS and Wii U consoles. On the newer Nintendo Switch, users can simply create an account using an email address, although it was possible to link it to the Nintendo Network ID.Nintendo encouraged customers to check their purchase history for any unauthorized transactions and then request a refund. Credit card information wasn't exposed, according to the company.
The company is emailing affected users, urging them to change their passwords. Anyone who previouslyused a Nintendo Network ID to log in should now use their Nintendo account email address instead. For an extra layer of security, the company is also asking people to set up two-factor authentication, adding a second method of verification such as linking to another app that will generate a code for each login.
Anyone find it really odd that this announcement would be "written in Japanese on the company's site" and not widely disseminated in all languages? I thought some EU countries were particularly strict in how much information companies are mandated to reveal when privacy laws are breached.
Old 06-15-20, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I'm not familiar with Deku Deals. That's an awesome website for tracking all the eshop games and prices.

https://www.dekudeals.com/hottest?page_size=all

There are SO many games that are a great price right now. What is everyone picking up?

I picked up:
Child of Light $5
Underwell $1 - it's okay. Played it for about 5 minutes, it's okay.
Overcooked $6 - want to see what all the hype is about and hopefully it will be good to play with the family. But I bet I'll just get mad at them

Thinking of picking up:
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair $15 - Heard it's like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and actually really good
Okami $10 - I feel like an idiot buying it on the Wii and never playing it and now paying more money to possibly not play it again. Anyone else an idiot like me in this way?
Firewatch $6 - Looks really interesting, anyone play it?
Mark of the Ninja $5 - Same as above
Ni No Kuni $20 - Visuals look amazing but worried I won't have time to play
Old 06-15-20, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard that, while they've softened it up quite a bit, the Impossible Lair part of the game is still pretty unforgiving as a platformer and I'm unsure if I have the patience to put up with it. But I never got Tropical Freeze (at least not on switch) so I'd probably get that first anyway, pushing this down the list for me.

Okami tempts me but I remember it being a super slow start and I don't think I'm going to put up with that long enough to be worthwhile until something else that's shiny comes along. Same with Ni No Kuni. I still have DQ and Digimon from past sales to finish first. Same, honestly, with Skyrim, Monster Hunters Generation Ultimate, and the Darksiders games.

I'm tempted by:
Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection: again, though, when would I play?
Layton's Mystery Journey: though I still have the 3ds version unopened
Raiden V: I love a good schmup but this one has been trending down and down and down and I already have it on PS4
Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha and/or Bravo
Dragon's Lair Trilogy: 10 bucks, not sure how it holds up
Langrisser 1 & 2
Fitness Boxing

Will probably pick up these because they're pretty cheap
Timespinner
BoxBoy + Boxgirl
Murder by Numbers
Old 06-15-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I picked up Tales of Vesperia. Great deal for $15.
Old 06-15-20, 09:25 AM

FYI - If you have both systems, Ni No Kuni Remastered is also $20 on PS4, while this version is not remastered. I know this version is portable but the Studio Ghibli visuals for that game are so impressive that I wanted the best looking version possible. Though admittedly it's not a huge difference

Old 06-15-20, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I only use my Switch for exclusives so I rarely find anything on these sales I'm interested in that i don't already own.
Old 06-15-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Firewatch was pretty good. Anticlimactic ending IIRC.

Okami was amazing on the Wii, but it's too long of a game for a replay.
Old 06-15-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If they had tightened Okami and cut maybe a quarter, or even a third, of it's flabbier, more repetitive sections, it would've been a perfect game.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (06-15-20)
Old 06-17-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Ring Fit Adventure is currently in stock at Best Buy if anyone is looking for one. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ring-fi...?skuId=6352149

I ordered one today and I'm really excited to try it out
Old 06-17-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've had Ni No Kuni on PS3 for years and haven't played it yet.

I got Okami HD for the Xbox and played a good bit, and it's a fantastic concept, but it does have some repetitive bits and also some places where I simply have no idea what to do next and that gets frustrating in any kind of game.
Old 06-17-20, 12:33 PM

^ Sale is over now.
Old 06-18-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're looking for a switch, some are currently in stock at Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...?skuId=6364255
Old 06-22-20, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Ring Fit Adventure is currently in stock at Best Buy if anyone is looking for one. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ring-fi...?skuId=6352149

I ordered one today and I'm really excited to try it out
I got one form Best Buy a week or so ago. Its pretty fun. Made me sweat and made my shoulders sore the next day.
I picked it up to try and trick my kids into exercising.
Old 06-23-20, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I looked online, but I'm just double checking. The only streaming video apps available for the Switch are Hulu and YouTube right?
Old 06-23-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I got one form Best Buy a week or so ago. Its pretty fun. Made me sweat and made my shoulders sore the next day.
I picked it up to try and trick my kids into exercising.
How does the leg strap fit? I'm fairly large 6 ft 300lbs. I'm hoping it'll fit. If not, that's 90 bucks down the drain.
Old 06-23-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy?
How does the leg strap fit? I'm fairly large 6 ft 300lbs. I'm hoping it'll fit. If not, that's 90 bucks down the drain.
I'm sure you can just get a piece of velcro or something to extend it if it doesn't fit out of the box.

And yes, I think Hulu and Youtube are the only streaming apps, though I have to admit I haven't really tried either one. The wifi antenna, at least on my original switch, sucks so I'm not even sure how great of an experience it'll be compared to, say, a phone or tablet.
Old 06-23-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Star Wars Episode I Racer released today. It’s $15 on the eShop. Kind of wondering if there will be a Limited Run release at some point.
Old 06-23-20, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
And yes, I think Hulu and Youtube are the only streaming apps, though I have to admit I haven't really tried either one. The wifi antenna, at least on my original switch, sucks so I'm not even sure how great of an experience it'll be compared to, say, a phone or tablet.
I play with mine docked nearly all the time. My TV only has 2 HDMI inputs. I have to switch back and forth between my ps4 and switch to watch Netflix and HBO Max. I have my cable box hooked up on the other input.
Old 06-23-20, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Firewatch was pretty good. Anticlimactic ending IIRC.

Thanks, picked up Firewatch and played right through it. It was a very interesting story driven game. I liked it. It wasn't too long either which is a nice change. It was very simple but had a real believable human story that's really lacking in games.
Old 06-24-20, 06:59 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Pokémon Cafe Mix is in the eShop now and it’s a free download.

Surprisingly enough, it is handheld mode only.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.