Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 06-24-20, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,480 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Pokťmon Cafe Mix is in the eShop now and itís a free download.

Surprisingly enough, it is handheld mode only.
Yeah, I was surprised when we fired it up yesterday to try it and it forced you to use the touchscreen.

Ninjala also came out yesterday, it's another free battle royale game but closer to Splatoon (in terms of design and visuals) than anything else. Haven't tried it yet though. My kids have been really into splatoon 2 lately so hopefully it's kid friendly.
Old 06-24-20, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Star Wars Episode I Racer released today. Itís $15 on the eShop. Kind of wondering if there will be a Limited Run release at some point.
Ooh, that game is surprisingly fun for a Phantom Menace game. $15 seems a little bit too much with no (or limited) graphics updates, but I'll probably still get it.
Old 06-24-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Ooh, that game is surprisingly fun for a Phantom Menace game. $15 seems a little bit too much with no (or limited) graphics updates, but I'll probably still get it.
I think itís a pretty fun game. A lot of that is probably tied to nostalgia for me though as it was the pack-in game with the N64 my parents got my brother and I for Christmas (Iím guessing it was 1999 since thatís the year the movie came out).

I do agree that I sort of wish these Star Wars games that are being ported would get HD remasters, but I realize that would require more work, and would in turn end up making them more costly.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-24-20 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Episode I Racer still holds up as a fun racing game. The port to Switch is pretty good as well. It actually looks better than I expected it to. Maybe the graphics were slightly touched up or maybe itís because it was a later N64 title that it just looks better. Could also be that I was playing in handheld mode and it wasnít blown up on a bigger screen. Worth the $15 in my opinion. Only thing is too bad they couldnít have at least incorporated an online play mode.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-25-20 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (07-06-20)
Old 07-03-20, 06:42 PM

Received 794 Likes on 519 Posts

Picked up a few control sticks for two sets of joycons and swapped them out today. No drifting now. It had gotten pretty bad.

it was easier to swap them out than I thought (and only $25 shipped).
Old 07-03-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,143 Likes on 4,179 Posts

Picked up a few control sticks for two sets of joycons and swapped them out today. No drifting now. It had gotten pretty bad.

it was easier to swap them out than I thought (and only $25 shipped).
Why do that when you could have had them repaired for free? Nintendo replaced mine within a week.
Old 07-03-20, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Why do that when you could have had them repaired for free? Nintendo replaced mine within a week.
Word was there was kind of a long backlog/shutdown due to the pandemic... that and Iím a tech geek and like to tinker.
Old 07-03-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 803 Likes on 593 Posts

I tried the Ring Fit Adventure out and I thought it was a harder workout than the Wii fit. You have to do lots of squats. I'm going to have to wait until I lose a few more lbs until I use it regularly. The leg band kept falling down and when it falls down below your knee, it doesn't register your squats. I've lost 36 lbs during quarantine. I'm going to have to lose some more before I can use it regularly.
The following 2 users liked this post by lwhy?:
Decker (07-03-20), DVDChris (07-03-20)
Old 07-04-20, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Anyone using a Switch Dock other than the Nintendo or Insignia brand? I haven't been able to find either in several weeks (other than paying marked-up prices). Wondering if there is another "safe" brand.
Old 07-06-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 803 Likes on 593 Posts

Splatoon 2, Super Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Yoshi's Crafted World are on sale for $39.99 at Gamestop bit.ly/3iCEkaT
Old 07-06-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Pokťmon Cafe Mix is in the eShop now and itís a free download.

Surprisingly enough, it is handheld mode only.
I played for about 15 minutes but the puzzles are too imprecise. I'd enjoy it more with a more specific method of solving them.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Star Wars Episode I Racer released today. Itís $15 on the eShop. Kind of wondering if there will be a Limited Run release at some point.
I don't recall this from the first time around, what's the replay value like?
Old 07-06-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

It's a racing game like F-Zero or Wipeout. I just re-bought it on the N64 a few months back(so a no go on the Switch version). I gave it about 20 minutes of my time. Unless you are nostalgic for it, I'd say skip. Now had they had actually updated it and gave it a nice new coat of wax, it might be worth checking out. It was a fun game back in the day.
Old 07-06-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's a racing game like F-Zero or Wipeout. I just re-bought it on the N64 a few months back(so a no go on the Switch version). I gave it about 20 minutes of my time. Unless you are nostalgic for it, I'd say skip. Now had they had actually updated it and gave it a nice new coat of wax, it might be worth checking out. It was a fun game back in the day.
Just give me Rogue Squadron, darnit.
Old 07-06-20, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bought and played that around the same time. Rogue Squadron holds up a bit better.
Old 07-08-20, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

D.K.C. finally arrives.

Old 07-08-20, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,143 Likes on 4,179 Posts

Very cool!
Old 07-08-20, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never even heard of that NES game before.
Old 07-08-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't recall this from the first time around, what's the replay value like?
It may well be nostalgia for me, but Iíve played a ton of it since buying it. For me itís well worth the $15, and Iíll probably also buy a physical copy from Limited Run Games.

I think the graphics actually were slightly touched up to look better on the Switch. I saw a screen grab comparison between the original N64 version and Switch version and the Switch does look better. The only complaint I have is I feel like they should have added an online multiplayer mode. Itís still pretty fun playing against the computer. Probably would be fun to do couch battles too.

Overall I mean itís not an amazing game or anything. It is just a racing game, but itís a fun one. There are some things to unlock like extra characters and tracks. Just depends what you like I suppose.
Old 07-20-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Mini-Direct in a few minutes!

Old 07-20-20, 01:44 PM

On the topic of the Mini Direct... if you lowered your expectations, you'll come out okay.

To view the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase video in its entirety, visit https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/07-20-2020/. Some of the highlights revealed in the video include:
  • Shin Megami Tensei V: The next numbered entry in ATLUSí beloved Shin Megami Tensei series is coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch. In this epic role-playing game, order itself has crumbled and chaos reigns over all. Shin Megami Tensei V will have a simultaneous global launch on Nintendo Switch in 2021.
  • Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster: Itís been 17 years since the original release of Shin Megami Tensei III, known in the U.S. as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Now, the apocalyptic legend returns in a full high-definition remake of the classic game, coming to Nintendo Switch in spring 2021.
  • Rogue Company: A stylish new shooter lands on Nintendo Switch! Lay waste to opponents with an arsenal of weapons and abilities in this online multiplayer third-person shooter from First Watch Games. Clash with other players in competitive and casual game modes, or rise to the challenge against AI opponents that surely bring the heat. If players fall in battle, their teammates can revive them, letting them immediately jump back into the fray. Cross-platform play and cross-save are also supported from day one, along with support for motion-controlled aiming. More information about Rogue Company will be revealed later today!
  • WWE 2K Battlegrounds: The world of WWE is your battleground with all-new, over-the-top, in-your-face arcade action, as your favorite WWE Superstars and Legends battle it out in outlandish interactive environments. Both casual gamers and long-time wrestling fans will love the easy, pick-up-and-play multiplayer experience when WWE 2K Battlegroundslaunches for Nintendo Switch on Sept. 18.
  • Cadence of Hyrule Season Pass: Three paid DLC packs are coming to the Cadence of Hyrule Ė Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda game, with the first pack launching later today
    • Pack 1: Character Pack Ė In the first pack, five additional characters join the gameís ensemble, including Impa, who excels in ranged attacks with the Naginata weapon, and Aria, perfect for players who like a challenge. Itís game over if you take one hit or miss a beat with her.
    • Pack 2: Melody Pack Ė After purchasing this pack, 39 songs will be added to the game, including remixed versions of the gameís background music. Players can change the background music at any time so they can listen to their favorite songs while journeying through Hyrule.
    • Pack 3: Additional Story Content Ė Symphony of the Mask Ė Play as the mysterious Skull Kid and venture through a new map in the third DLC pack, complete with new songs and a new story. Skull Kid also possesses the power to change abilities based on the masks he dons.
    • DLC Pack 1 will be available to purchase later today for $5.99. The second DLC pack will be released before the end of October for $5.99. The third DLC pack will also be released before the end of October, and will be available for $9.99. A Season Pass containing all three DLC packs as they release will be available to purchase starting today for $14.99. People who purchase the Season Pass will also receive bonus costumes for Link and Zelda. A physical version of the game that contains the main game and all three DLC packs will launch on Oct. 23 for $39.99.
Source: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/de...ntendo-switch/
My kids were excited for Cadence... of which Pack 1 also comes with Shadow Link and Shadow Zelda.
Old 07-20-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pikmin 4?!!!

oh wait....

Old 07-20-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 548 Likes on 401 Posts

Pikmin 4?!!!

oh wait....

If you expected a new Nintendo game in a third party direct than you were setting yourself up to be disappointed.
Old 07-20-20, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

no. Just making a joke.
Old 07-21-20, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Would love to know what the controls will be like for Battlegrounds. Wasn't too interested at first but if it has a grappling system like the THQ games then I might pick it up. 70 wrestlers is a good number and it looks kinda fun.

Anyone tried the ftp game Warface? Basically a COD clone and I got to say it's not half bad. Played online for about 3 hours last night, had no problem finding matches, and a ton of fun.
Old 07-27-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Still haven't found one in stock after months sigh even signed out for that stock finder site.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.