Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 12-16-19, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,623 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Gooter
Drifting joy cons.... what a pain. I've tried to fix myself by using contact cleaner, air duster, etc. but it only seems to work for a few days. How is Nintendo's replacement program? Easy to get them to replace? We have a total of 8 joy cons and all of them have had issues at one point though there are 3-4 that always seem to drift.

Thanks
If you're in the US, just send them in (I would send in a couple at a time). Process is pretty easy though I'm not sure how long it'll take for them to send them back during the holidays.
Old 12-17-19, 08:25 PM

Received 833 Likes on 544 Posts

I swore I'd never fall into another "Toys to Life" trap, but shortly after Black Friday - and at the recommendation of a friend - I picked up Starlink: Battle for Atlas for the Switch from Best Buy for $10 (where it is still at that price).

The Switch Edition comes with the original pilot for the main game (Mason Rana) plus the two of the three stock weapons (and ice one and a fire one)... and instead of the third weapon (the crusher) and the usual ship (the Zenith, both of which are unlocked in the game), you get Fox McCloud and his Arwing... and an original mission looking for Wolf O'Donnell.

Anyways, my two younger sons (15 and 10) love it and have been playing ever since.

The game didn't sell that well when it was initially released (in Oct 2018) so they stopped making toys after wave one.

As an alternative, you can forgo the toys and just buy two DLCs to get all of the ships, pilots, and weapons (the first DLC is $60 and the second is $50).

For kicks and giggles, I was able to get two ships ($15 each w/ ship/pilot/weapon), four pilots ($3 each), and 4 weapon packs ($3 per set; two weapons per pack) for ~$55. They make good stocking stuffers.

You can grab the PS4 or XB1 versions for around $15-$20 in some stores and on eBay... and I might do that... one day.

EDIT TO ADD: Found out that GameStop dropped the prices on their Starlink stuff this week, so I took the above add-ons back and they returned them and resold them to me and refunded my card a little over half of what I initially spent. The ships were $5 each, the pilots $2 each... they weapon packs I had bought in-store and already had the discount applied. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I actually had a good experience at GameStop.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 12-19-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-18-19, 05:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Your 2019 Nintendo Switch Year in Review:

https://switch.nintendo.com/year-in-review/
Old 12-18-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 583 Likes on 430 Posts

My total was 165 hours and 22 games played in 2019. Not bad considering I only play exclusives on the system.
Old 12-18-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

This is how many hours you played Nintendo Switch games in 2019:
686 HOURS

This is how many Nintendo Switch games you played this year:
20 GAMES
Old 12-19-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine is 300 hours but somehow split over 93 games. Yet I'm sure I've logged the majority of hours on NBA 2k19, so some of those must be like open to get it updated then close it right away.
Old 12-19-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,183 Likes on 922 Posts

I clocked 352 hours and 17 games. Most played games are showing as: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Linkís Awakening DX, and the Super Nintendo App.
Old 12-22-19, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

This is how many hours you played Nintendo Switch games in 2019:

1,006 hours

This is how many Nintendo Switch games and demos you played this year:

22 games
Old 12-22-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

8 hours for me

It feels like it should be more than that (maybe double?), but I wonder if it doesn't track when you are not connected to the internet. I wouldn't think that would be the case though.

Yeah, the Switch probably wasn't my best console purchase this generation.
Old 12-23-19, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

Clocked in 84 hours spread across 24 games in 2019.
Old 12-23-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,047 Posts

I think mine was like 9 hours. I don't play a lot anymore, but I'm thinking more of my hours on the Switch were with my son or wife who had already logged in under their profile, then I joined in multiplayer.
Old 12-25-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts

This looks totally worth getting on the 26th at that pittance of a price

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 12-25-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So we got my son a Switch Lite and I’ve tried looking at the pages up above that mention data transfers but they’re not clear about moving digital games we’ve purchased to the new system. Is there a specific instruction set for moving games over?
Old 12-25-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
So we got my son a Switch Lite and Iíve tried looking at the pages up above that mention data transfers but theyíre not clear about moving digital games weíve purchased to the new system. Is there a specific instruction set for moving games over?
Basically, if you plan on keeping both switches, you need to add your account to the new switch, and redownload all the games. Moving an sd card between them won't work, the downloads only work for the original console. You then have to either move the save data over manually or download it from the cloud per game (if you have nintendo online):

https://en-americas-support.nintendo...intendo-switch
Old 12-25-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, we’ll dig up the login info and try that.

One of the concerns is something like Minecraft where we want it on the Lite to have it on the go but still be able to play it on the tv for multiplayer, is that going to work?
Old 12-25-19, 10:31 AM

Here is what fujishig explained to me when I asked about this last week :

Originally Posted by fujishig
One switch is the primary switch. You can change this at any time via the eshop. Every other switch is the secondary switch(es).

On the primary switch: you can play any game you bought digitally. Any other profile can play any game that you bought digitally.
On the other switches: You can play any game you bought digitally. You must sign in to the internet so that it can check that you are authorized to play and are not already playing the game on your profile on another switch. You cannot play your digital games with another profile. So anyone that wants to play your digital games has to use your profile (and hope that you aren't playing the same game at the same time)

So basically if you and your son wanted to play the same game:
He has to login to your primary switch and play the game
You can login to your secondary switch and play the same game (since your profile can play anywhere)
You can play online together, however you cannot play wifi co-op for some reason.

People get confused by this and blame nintendo, but really it's not all that different from PSN or Xbox where you cannot just play the same game on like 10 systems at once. It just seems worse on a portable system.
Old 12-25-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So lately Iíve just been playing old NES games on my Switch, and in particular Super Mario Bros. 2 (the US version) and Iíve never realized how truly fucking difficult it is.

Everyone talks about The Lost Levels being difficult, which it definitely is, but this one to me is just as tough in its own right. I can pretty easily breeze through the other two NES Mario games. Maybe itís because I didnít own it as a kid (though I played it and borrowed it a few times) and just never got as much practice.

The first few levels or so are pretty tame, but itís like by the time you get to world two where thereís more enemies and obstacles and the areas where you have to dig down. Just irritating. Iíve only been able to just barely make it to world three and died on the first stage.

Kind of a random post but just wanted give my feelings. Interesting and unique entry in the Mario games and fun in itís own way, but just annoying.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-25-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-25-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts

I didn't care for the "pick up & throw" mechanic in SMB2.
I'm sure you know, but it was initially supposed to be a completely different game, new IP, until Nintendo rejiggered it into a Mario game, what wasn't really like a Mario game.
Old 12-25-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I didn't care for the "pick up & throw" mechanic in SMB2.
I'm sure you know, but it was initially supposed to be a completely different game, new IP, until Nintendo rejiggered it into a Mario game, what wasn't really like a Mario game.
Yeah, Iíve heard the story about it being Doki Doki Panic. The story behind it is actually pretty interesting. The Gaming Historian did a video on it.

The pick up and throw I donít mind so much. The only thing with it is that it sometimes is difficult to throw an object at an enemy and have it hit. You have to have whatever youíre throwing hit just right or itíll miss.

The digging is one of the things that I dislike a lot. The Shy Guys keep following you and they can be hard to avoid. I inevitability seem to lose a life on those parts, and you want to have as many extra lives as you can.
Old 12-25-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I ordered a Switch today, but it doesn’t look like I’ll get it until Jan. 8.
Old 12-26-19, 03:31 PM

Holy shit, these sales today!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

Time to buy a couple of new $50 eShop cards at Costco.com
Old 12-29-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up that Walmart exclusive Switch bundle a few weeks ago, along with a Pro controller, Super Mario Odyssey, and Breath Of The Wild (got 25% off all of it, so a pretty damn good deal). So far have put 64 hours into the system with almost all of that into Mario. It's my first Nintendo console since the SNES. Used the $20 eShop card to pay for Switch online, and later bought a 256GB SD card. The case I got in the bundle is snug and you can't really put more in it than the switch and games, but still pretty neat. I like the red Joy Cons too.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (12-29-19)
Old 12-30-19, 12:51 PM

Received 833 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This looks totally worth getting on the 26th at that pittance of a price

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I picked this up... using 99 gold points/coins. Worth it. Fun little puzzler.
Old 01-02-20, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

I can't seem to locate the thread about the new Animal Crossing game, so I will post this here. I am really excited for this game.

Old 01-02-20, 09:39 AM
Political Exile

Received 490 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I can't seem to locate the thread about the new Animal Crossing game, so I will post this here. I am really excited for this game.
I still waste 30 minutes a day playing the mobile app.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.