Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Destiny is going to do great. But yeah, unless you play only certain kind of games, there's a lot to play this fall. If you say there's nothing for me to play, that's fine, but for most people there will be a lot of options. There are the Madden and FIFA players, I actually expect Destiny numbers to be around those.
COD is a different monster, sales going down, but still there is no game close to it. Destiny 2 can be a competitor though.
Xbox owners will have the MC collection, everyone likes Halo, so I expect good numbers there, 1-2 million in the year.

At least for Xbox owners, there will be more options.

And Destiny, Bungie is planning this really well, but they need to keep things interesting after you get to the highest level. That's what happens with these games. We have read about their plans, we will see if they work.
Old 08-03-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

That's just it, this year has all the usual suspects as any other year (CoD, AC, Madden, etc) but lacks all the other games that pad out the schedule. It's usually those games that I end up finding a gem in. Destiny is one of those games so far, just wondering what will surprise us this year.
Old 08-03-14, 06:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Short-sighted, actually.
Damn spell check.

But yeah, it's rich talking about a title that supposedly no one plays, yet you can play all the time.

I'm not saying Destiny won't do great sales, but will it be seen as just hype if "nobody" talks about it after launch? Like most successful games, no one talks about them after launch. And people talking about a game on a forum months after a game is released is unheard of. No one talked much about Ghosts, AC4, GTAV, etc., but that doesn't mean no one plays them.

Last edited by Brack; 08-03-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
And people talking about a game on a forum months after a game is released is unheard of.
You forget about mhg83 and garythedon... they do this.
Old 08-03-14, 06:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
Not good enough for chess.
Old 08-03-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well... to be fair... they do it years after a game is released... not months
Old 08-03-14, 06:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

On that note, I think I'll just replay Dishonored instead of playing Destiny.
Old 08-03-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Damn spell check.

But yeah, it's rich talking about a title that supposedly no one plays, yet you can play all the time.
What's rich is blaming spell check for your weak vocabulary.

Of course my saying "nobody's playing it" is hyperbole. Obviously somebody's still playing it. It did sell some 3M copies after all, and I'm not even sure whether that includes bundles. The actual point was the the game was overhyped and underperformed largely due to lack of variety and content, just like Evolve will. Granted, Evolve doesn't have the same kind of wild expectations.

Lack of chatter here was AN EXAMPLE about the lack of chatter EVERYWHERE, not the entirety of an argument. A better example about the game's legs (or lack thereof) might have been that it's odd for an alleged CoD killer to be off the NPDs after 3 months. It's also odd that the killer app didn't propel the XB1 past the PS4 in the US in any single month. It's also odd that it's the 6th best selling XB1 game on Amazon (77th overall) behind a bunch of launch titles.

But I didn't bring Titanfall up in the first place. I was talking about Evolve and its apparent lack of content and how I think it will have minimal impact , if any, on sales of Destiny.
Old 08-03-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We had a group on here talking about Warhawk, CoD and BFBC2 for years.
Old 08-03-14, 06:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't see Evolve as comparable to Titanfall. It's more akin to Left 4 Dead (an itch that hasn't been scratched for a long time).
Old 08-03-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
We had a group on here talking about Warhawk, CoD and BFBC2 for years.
True, but they weren't annoying...
Old 08-03-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't see Evolve as comparable to Titanfall. It's more akin to Left 4 Dead (an itch that hasn't been scratched for a long time).
It wasn't my comparison, but for my part, I don't think it was a direct comparison of their gameplay but more a comparison of them both being "media darlings" that show really well in short sessions but don't seem to have a lot of depth or variety. To be fair, I don't think the hype for Evolve has reached anywhere near the ridiculousness of Titanfall, probably because it isn't tied up in console wars nonsense.

Meanwhile, the media hated Destiny, or at least they did until the Alpha. They said it looked "boring".

And I agree that Evolve looks great. I just don't think it looks like a full priced game.
Old 08-03-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Destiny seems like WOW 2514

Evolved.... no idea? Turok meets Left For Dead?

oh... I guess it is Left For Dead with aliens in space...
Old 08-03-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did this thread just go full retard when referencing other games?

Evolve is Left 4 Dead with aliens. Turtle Rock has already confirmed there will be a single-player campaign, so I will assume the game will play out exactly like Left 4 Dead does. Only one single co-op level has been made playable at all the conventions, but it pretty much plays like co--op for Left 4 Dead did... if one took a line of cocaine before hand. I adore the Left 4 Dead franchise and I, for one, am looking forward to it. We haven't had a co-op experience like it since.

If you didn't understand Titanfall was competitive multiplayer only before purchasing the game, you have nobody to blame but yourself. The game still has a very active community on Xbox Live and one is able to get into a game within seconds (can't say the same for Call of Duty: Ghosts). I paid full retail price alongside the season pass and I love every minute of the game. Now that I've hit Generation 10, it's not as fun anymore. However, I still have the achievements to unlock from the recent round of DLC this week.

However, to move the subject back on to Destiny, here's another reason I needed to justify the canceling of my pre-order. All of Bungie's reasoning for why not to have matchmaking in raids is just bullshit.
Old 08-03-14, 08:06 PM

Seems to me like the smart thing to do would be to ape WoW, and have an easier version of the raids that allows for matchmaking but has lesser rewards. The addition of LFR to that game opened up the endgame to everybody.
Old 08-03-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Did this thread just go full Chmiel when referencing other games?
I don't think so...
Old 08-03-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-03-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, to move the subject back on to Destiny, here's another reason I needed to justify the canceling of my pre-order. All of Bungie's reasoning for why not to have matchmaking in raids is just bullshit.
Their rationale was tough to follow in spots, but if I'm reading correctly, it basically translates to "make some friends".

I don't imagine that will be a problem for most people.
Old 08-03-14, 08:29 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turtle Rock has already confirmed there will be a single-player campaign, so I will assume the game will play out exactly like Left 4 Dead does.
source? That would change my mind completely about the game as I thought it only had a bot mode for the 4 vs 1 mode so that you could play it by yourself, which is far from a single player campaign. If it does have one, that will get a few of my friends actually excited.
Old 08-03-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't take any of you seriously anymore.
Old 08-03-14, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by chess
Their rationale was tough to follow in spots, but if I'm reading correctly, it basically translates to "make some friends".

I don't imagine that will be a problem for most people.
Six friends who all have the game on the same console and who have the same gaming schedule. If it were that easy no game would have any matchmaking whatsoever.
Old 08-03-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Six friends who all have the game on the same console and who have the same gaming schedule. If it were that easy no game would have any matchmaking whatsoever.
Bingo bango boingo.

I think the last time I was successful in getting that many people on at the same time was when Halo 3 came out. That's why either matchmaking or a server browser would be ideal. Bungie's excuse of "communication" and "teamwork" is bullshit. I've communicated and been a great team player with complete strangers before. I don't see why they can't implement it here.

Originally Posted by foxdvd
source? That would change my mind completely about the game as I thought it only had a bot mode for the 4 vs 1 mode so that you could play it by yourself, which is far from a single player campaign. If it does have one, that will get a few of my friends actually excited.
Turtle Rock has kept mum about it, but here's an article that goes a bit more into depth than others: http://www.onlysp.com/evolve-single-...ails-revealed/
Old 08-04-14, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm going to keep fucking doing it, and get my name right u

Old 08-04-14, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Destiny does have a clan system. I'm already in one on GAF, and it makes teaming up much simpler.

I've never had much trouble getting 4 people to play Warframe with a similar clan system, and I seriously doubt I'll have trouble getting 6 people to play Destiny.
Old 08-04-14, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Sheesh guys, I wasn't trying to shit on Destiny or kick off a multi-page pissing match over unreleased games. My only point was that the multiple comments along the lines of 'nothing else coming out this fall' seem kind of crazy, as there are still plenty of big AAA titles slated for this fall. They may or may not be to any individual's tastes, but all of them have groups of people anticipating them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.