Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So, cool to cock block Tomb Raider fans but not cool to cock block MS from some advertising? It's a multiplatform game, that's the bottom line, right?
I don't see those as the same.

Activision blocking MS from promoting the game in the UK only hurts their potential sales on that platform. That hurts their bottom line. If I were an investor in Activision, I'd be pissed. It has potential to hurt sales.

The paying for exclusivity doesn't hurt CD's bottom line because they got cash up front. They got the money. Sales at that point are only somewhat relevant.

But way to turn it into a Sony/MS pissing match.
Old 09-05-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chess
How about every Call of Duty?
Battlefield 4?
FIFA?
Assassin's Creed IV?
Watch Dogs?

All with exclusive content. All advertised on one platform.
Difference being, nobody was preventing Sony from advertising those games. Right? They still did ads for them. MS in the UK apparently can't even show the game. What kind of bullshit is that?
Old 09-05-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I didn't turn it into a pissing patch. MS doesn't want to abide by rules Activision laid out. How is that on me? I disagree about the TR analogy. The situations aren't that different except neither company is being denied a game in this one, just some marketing.

It's petty and reeks of desperation.

Also it's Xbox... I.e. The FPS platform. I'm sure consumers can figure out pretty quick that its on the x1.
Old 09-05-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see how it's lame either (let alone embarassing or hypocritical), just looks like a silly little thing that Microsoft threw together because they apparently can't advertise Destiny directly. What's the big deal?

Originally Posted by K&AJones
[B]
Not bad but one question...how come the bottle is "Blue" and not Green...hmmm...
Because Destiny's color scheme is blue. Seemed obvious.
Old 09-05-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

It's only lame because Microsoft did it. If Sony had done it, it would've been an innovative way to point out that it was a multi-platform title, obviously.
l
Old 09-05-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Square Enix never would've signed an exclusive (or at least timed exclusive, whatever it may be) with MS had they not thought that whatever they were paid would've been greater than what they would've made selling games on all platforms. Same for Activision/Bungie. Whatever Sony paid them to be the lead platform for Destiny added up to more, in their bean counters' eyes, than what they would be making by letting everyone in on the advertising. The same can be said for any exclusive/timed exclusive/downloadable content exclusive.
Old 09-05-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Difference being, nobody was preventing Sony from advertising those games. Right?
Interesting. Tell me more about PS Call of Duty ads. Better yet, show me one.

They still did ads for them.
Or...Or they didn't.

Or maybe marketing agreements for one platform or the other are incredibly common in the industry, and you're just a little bit salty about this particular one.

MS in the UK apparently can't even show the game. What kind of bullshit is that?
So now it's "bullshit"? Could've sworn it was just "business".
Old 09-05-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of bullshit is that?
there is a term for this. it is called business.
Old 09-05-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

If I owned one system but not the other, I'd be praying that the exclusive deals hammed out for that other system were just for some non-essential DLC and to prevent advertising on the my console. As long as I could still play the game on my system, I wouldn't care much at all.
Old 09-05-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

again, you seem to think paying a company for platform exclusivity is the same as reaching an agreement for exclusivity in terms of advertising. i don't see it way. it's a matter of opinion. you think you are right and i think i'm right. nobody is going to change my mind, and clearly nobody is going to change your mind, chess.

here's a PS Vita ad for COD that I dug up in about 3 seconds. I'm sure I could find more print ads with some searching, but I don't have the time right now.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_gsE_1I5dBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-05-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
If I owned one system but not the other, I'd be praying that the exclusive deals hammed out for that other system were just for some non-essential DLC and to prevent advertising on the my console. As long as I could still play the game on my system, I wouldn't care much at all.
Exactly.

Nobody cared about exclusive CoD or AC marketing...or even noticed it apparently. But now with Destiny, they are losing their shit for some reason.
Old 09-05-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Vita ad.

Never change.
Old 09-05-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Personally I don't see the big deal about advertising deals like this as historically it's been normal for multiplatform games to be advertised on a specific platform, but I still don't see why anyone is jumping on Microsoft for poking fun at it. Petty and desperation over a little ad, really? Sony's taken far more blatant jabs at Microsoft that would be considered petty. Desperation is Microsoft bundling a ton of free games to sell consoles. This seems like just a goofy way to indirectly advertise Destiny and nothing more to it.

Seriously.
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

That was a Vita-exclusive game (and a terrible POS one at that). Not the same as a PS3 or PS4 ad for CoD.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's only lame because Microsoft did it. If Sony had done it, it would've been an innovative way to point out that it was a multi-platform title, obviously.
l
It's pretty lame because it's lame. I get the advertising tactic by Sony, but it takes nothing away from Xbox One gamers so it isn't that big of a deal. I normally only see a game advertised for one console or another anymore anyhow (it'll have a little Microsoft or Sony tag at the end).
Old 09-05-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Petty and desperation
Trying to find where somebody said this.

We got a "lame" from Corvin, and I thought they were trying too hard, but I don't think anybody is too serious about the perfume ad.
Old 09-05-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, here's the actual website.

http://www.destinyfragrance.com/
Old 09-05-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chess
Trying to find where somebody said this.

We got a "lame" from Corvin, and I thought they were trying too hard, but I don't think anybody is too serious about the perfume ad.
Look harder. Corvin said it right above one of my posts on this page, and he also said things like this apparently make him want to buy an XBox One less. Lame, petty, embarassing, desperation over a little website. Yeah.

Seriously.
Old 09-05-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Look harder. Corvin said it right above one of my posts on this page, and he also said things like this apparently make him want to buy an XBox One less.

Seriously.
Apologies. Missed it. Guess Corvin is super mad about it. Seriously.
Old 09-05-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

l
Yup. If the situation were reversed, MS would be evil (yet again) for money-hatting to block a competitor's ads. Meanwhile Sony's sly and clever (yet again) way of getting around it via perfume ad would result in so much internet high-fiving that hands everywhere would be more sore than they were during the Fappening.

I hate what MS did with Tomb Raider too, btw.
Old 09-05-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So is this the Friday Destiny surprise?
Old 09-05-14, 01:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

It's not Friday at VGT unless there's yet another Sony vs MS debate.

None of this matters. We all know that PS4 owners won't even be playing Destiny next week since PSN will be down.*

*he jokes, fully aware that XBL will likely have some BS issues on that same time period.
Old 09-05-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Yup. If the situation were reversed, MS would be evil (yet again) for money-hatting to block a competitor's ads.
Interesting.

Perhaps you can find a single post where somebody is upset about ad exclusivity for CoD, BF or FIFA. Anything at all?

Folks here are more likely to be interested in the exclusive content.

I hate what MS did with Tomb Raider too, btw.
Agree. It's a shitty practice that I hoped was going away after slowing way down last gen compared to the prior gen. Almost all third party games should be cross-platform wherever it's technically possible IMO.

But at least it's only timed.
Old 09-05-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
So is this the Friday Destiny surprise?
That's what I was wondering too

I seriously hope not

If so, that is one smelly DAGGER!
Old 09-05-14, 01:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

LOL at those comparing this to the Tomb Raider situation. Xbox gamers can still actually PLAY the game, can they not?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.