Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ultimate Kickstarter Video Games Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Ultimate Kickstarter Video Games Thread

Nintendo's minimum orders for the 3DS and Wii U are apparently in the neighborhood of 20,000 units each, if you're curious.

I'm not sure what Sony's is, but LRG's Vita release of Breach & Clear was only 1,500 copies, and their PS4 games have been at least as low as 3,000 copies, so obviously it's a lot, lot, lot lower.
Old 06-29-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nintendo's minimum orders for the 3DS and Wii U are apparently in the neighborhood of 20,000 units each, if you're curious.

I'm not sure what Sony's is, but LRG's Vita release of Breach & Clear was only 1,500 copies, and their PS4 games have been at least as low as 3,000 copies, so obviously it's a lot, lot, lot lower.
Yeah, I knew Sony allowed pretty much any number cause of the LimitedRunGames thing. 20k would at least be reasonable...50k is just archaic. I wonder if its different in different countries too. Like, certain games will get released abroad in Physical form on the XB1 but not here. Ziggurat (had a UK release) and Stranger in Sword City (Japanese release) spring to mind.
Old 07-28-16, 07:12 AM

Just a quick bump since it has six hours left but System Shock is up to 1.3 million. It would have been nice to make $2 million, but it met a few of its stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../system-shock/

I'm sticking with a digital copy for XB1, I would have sprung for the physical if it was Xbox One too but the thread above made it painfully obvious that we aren't getting one

Edit: I gave into the feels (roughly 80 to 100 hours in college playing it)...and went for the physical PC version ($75 tier) which still includes a digital copy of the XB1 version. Maybe they will change their mind later if it sells well. (no I don't give this much of a chance but I have to tell myself ). See ya in Dec 2017.

Last edited by Kedrix; 07-28-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-28-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good to see that it's coming to PS4 as well. I'll check it out once it's released.
Old 10-27-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
haha, awesome

Friday the 13th: The Game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-13th-the-game
Delayed to 2017, but they are adding single player now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1707655

Looks like backers are getting 4 beta keys for friends, so if you would like to pass one on to me let me know
Old 10-27-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Delayed to 2017, but they are adding single player now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1707655

Looks like backers are getting 4 beta keys for friends, so if you would like to pass one on to me let me know
You can have one of mine for sure. Let me know when folks start getting them so I can keep an eye out.
Old 10-27-16, 09:49 AM

I loved this in the update :

The new price of the game henceforth will increase from $30USD digital to $40USD digital, and the physical copy will remain priced at $60USD. We believe that digital prices should include a savings for those that purchase them, and those that want to hold a physical copy in their hands can pay more for it, since it costs more to produce, manufacture and distribute. It's logical and we at Gun Media scratch our heads when we see digital pricing for games that matches the physical pricing.
Old 10-27-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Zoe Quinn and Chuck "Pounded in the Butt by my Own Butt" Tingle are Kickstarting Kickstarted in the Butt: A Chuck Tingle Digital Adventure.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...le-digital-adv
Old 10-27-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Just a quick bump since it has six hours left but System Shock is up to 1.3 million. It would have been nice to make $2 million, but it met a few of its stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../system-shock/

I'm sticking with a digital copy for XB1, I would have sprung for the physical if it was Xbox One too but the thread above made it painfully obvious that we aren't getting one

Edit: I gave into the feels (roughly 80 to 100 hours in college playing it)...and went for the physical PC version ($75 tier) which still includes a digital copy of the XB1 version. Maybe they will change their mind later if it sells well. (no I don't give this much of a chance but I have to tell myself ). See ya in Dec 2017.
I'm assuming that the obvious parallels b/w Bioshock and System Shock are not unintentional (I never played SS).
Old 10-27-16, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm assuming that the obvious parallels b/w Bioshock and System Shock are not unintentional (I never played SS).
Oh yeah...huge parallels. In fact (stolen from wikipedia):

Bioshock is considered a spiritual successor to the System Shock series, which many of Irrational's team including Levine had worked on previously.
Old 04-04-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
So this is happening. They hit all stretch goals in less than a day!

Yooka-Laylee - A 3D Platformer Rare-vival!
Reviews are up now, and the reception is very mixed.

Polygon (5.5 / 10)
Gamespot (6 / 10)
IGN (7 / 10)
Destructoid (8 / 10)
Old 04-04-17, 11:40 AM

Eh, for the $15 it cost me in 2014, that sounds good enough for me. I'm happy that we got a decent, functional game out of it.
Old 04-04-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

No number score, but the review on Ars Technica is positive:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...laylee-review/
Verdict: Yooka-Laylee stays true to its '90s platformer roots, even to its detriment. But there are just enough modern touches and excellent platforming to make it more than just another nostalgia play.
Old 04-23-17, 11:02 AM

Cool, early-on indie gaming cameo in Yooka. Here's a screenshot, lovingly dedicated to Old Boy :

Spoiler:

I'm enjoying the game so far. Getting pretty far in the expanded first world. can't beat the boss though. Looks like it's time to open World #2 and maybe try this one later when I have more moves and more health. The game, based on World 1 seems huge. The "voices" are as annoying as in Banjo-Kazooie but the music is at least cute. Maybe my favorite Kickstartred game so far.
Old 10-26-20, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Night Trap is at about 12% of their goal with 5 days to go.

I just signed up for this game, which has already hit its modest funding goal :

Ray’s the Dead Coming to PS Vita with Cross-Buy

+ Posted by Chris Cobb on Sep 03, 2014 // Co-Founder, Ragtag Studio

Hello again PS.Blog. This is Chris Cobb with Ragtag Studio, developers of the forthcoming PS4 title, Ray’s the Dead. It has been quite a while since we last updated you on our progress, so we have quite a bit of news to share today, including lots of new information on the game, and the announcement that we are bringing Ray’s the Dead to PS Vita!

Ray’s the Dead was first announced for the PlayStation 4 at Sony’s E3 2013 Press Conference. Since that time, we have been hard at work at refining the controls, enhancing the features of our engine, expanding our arsenal of characters and fine-tuning the story. And finally, we’ve been developing the part of the game I’m most excited about, our flashback system!
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cn6fNjoy7YE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cn6fNjoy7YE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I would like to refer to one of my favorite press quotes to tell you a little known fact about Ray’s the Dead: ‘Ray’s the Dead is a charming and thoughtfully constructed game that, while related to zombies, is really centered on the main character, Ray.’ -Cliqist. In Ray’s the Dead you not only play as Ray the zombie, but also as Ray the human. Much of the game is spent in fully playable flashbacks that tell the story of Ray’s past. These flashbacks are critically important to the game for a variety of reasons.

One, they let you meet first hand many of the characters from Ray’s past that you’ll also be meeting in the present. And second, they serve as a mechanic for unlocking Ray’s abilities. Extraordinary circumstances in the present will trigger flashbacks in Ray’s mind. While reliving these memories, Ray will ‘remember’ certain skills and abilities from his past, granting him the ability to use them in the present. You may be wondering what abilities Ray the human and Ray the zombie might have in common. Well, that’s part of the big mystery of the game, so you’ll have to play to find out!

We are also thrilled to announce that Ray’s the Dead will be shambling its way to PS Vita as a Cross-Buy title! Cross-Buy is one of our favorite features that many of today’s PlayStation releases share, so we are super excited to add Ray’s the Dead to that list. And let me tell you, this game looks gorgeous on Vita!

For those of you that had already planned to grab a copy of the PS4 version, surprise! Now you get the Vita version too!

We have a number of ideas we plan to implement in support of PS Vita’s unique features, including some degree of touch screen support, interaction between the Vita and PS4 version, and fully support for the upcoming PlayStation TV. We love Vita, and we want Ray’s the Dead to take advantage of all it has to offer.

You can help make that happen by grabbing a copy of the game off of our Kickstarter right now for less than what it will cost on release. This gives you a nice discount, and helps us make the game better – all at the same time. Everyone wins!

That’s all the news for now. I’ll be looking forward to your questions in the comments!
Well it took 6 years, but this game came out! I just discovered the BackerKit code in my inbox from last week. I had totally forgotten I had purchased this, but guess I will be checking it out now (though sadly, not on the Vita )
Old 10-26-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Haven't seen this thread in awhile. Anyone still waiting on any Kickstarter games?

The complete version of Star Citizen isn't released (and won't be for quite some time) but portions of the game have been available in various stages of completion over the last few years. My interest in this game at this point is pretty much non existent, but when the Squadron 42 portion finally comes out I'm sure I'll give it a spin.

SpaceVenture is currently in beta testing for backers that pledged over a certain amount, so hopefully it's nearing release.
Old 12-01-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

For those into Video Game & Arcade history, this looks pretty cool:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ser_menuArcade Dreams is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. It’s the definitive documentary series that reveals the 100-year history of arcades and arcade games.

It's an exhilarating tale, told by a colorful array of historians, curators, collectors, industry legends, celebrity fans, and arcade fanatics. It’s the first documentary to tell the complete story: from the penny arcades of the early 1900s, through pinball’s glory days and the video generation, to the virtual reality worlds of today and beyond.

It ends in just a few days.