Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mass Effect 3

I bet the final mission was designed to anger the reapers to bring them into the galaxy to wipe out all the other races except humans
Old 05-11-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would humans be spared? Reapers don't give two shits about any organic race.
Old 05-11-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

It'd be interesting if
Spoiler:
the Illusive Man's endgame extended beyond mere human dominance. Or if he was only hunting after the Collectors in order to gain some sort of bargaining chip to secure an alliance of sorts with the Reapers.
Old 05-11-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jump?!
Old 05-11-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Snicket
New info, new spoilers:

Spoiler:
Shepard vs Cerberus

According to Xbox World Magazine, the game will contain fewer squad mates this time around as the developers though that 12 was just too many.

“Twelve was a big number in Mass Effect 2 – almost too big”, said Casey Hudson. “We’re focused on a smaller squad with deeper relationships and more interesting interplay in Mass Effect 3. We’re not going to have twelve again but we are going to do more with the characters on your squad including Liara, and Kaidan or Ashley. And we’re bringing everyone back – every main character is in Mass Effect 3 somewhere.”

Characters in the game have had their appearance updated by the same team which created the original characters. Each player will mature a bit especially in the armor department and Garrus’ armor was used as one such example. Shepard has changed quite a a bit as well, especially compared to how his armor appeared in Mass Effect 1. Cerberus heavy troopers will be sporting massive armour, while Assassins will use the same Biotics as Shepard.

Things have changed with Cerberus as well, and it was noted that no matter how you finished Mass Effect 2, Cerberus are now your enemy. Shepard is unsure why at the beginning why Cerberus is sending commandos after him, but he will discover the reason later in the game when the Illusive Man returns.

“You were begrudgingly working for Cerberus in ME2,” said Hudson, “but they’ve gone a bit further and Shepard has returned to the Alliance so Cerberus troops are a major threat.”

“Cerberus Troopers can do everything that Shepard can do now,” added designer Corey Gaspur. “So your fighting a force that’s a lot more punishing.”

“We wanted to make it so that when the player’s fighting in the moment they feel like they have more options than aiming shooting and using powers,” added lead gameplay designer Christina Norman. “We really want to make mobility a factor that plays into combat. You’ll always ask yourself: “Am I in the right position on the battlefield? Where are my enemies? How am I going to get from point A to point B?’

“Players should never be walking into these safe places with great cover and stay there for the whole fight. It’s about how you’re going to move through the battlefield as the enemies through the battefield move through the battlefield and how they’re reacting to one another and to you.”

Location, location, location

While previous article on locations in the game have been talked about already, BioWare confirmed in Xbox World that the Turian homeworld of Palaven and the Quarian homeworld of Rannoch will be new destinations early on in Mass Effect 3.

Players will also be making a return to Tuchanka, and even go on mining missions on a Martian crater, but it will be the cities of Earth which will really standout as the game’s “showpiece locations.”

“The Seatle/Vancouver megacity on the west coast of North America is a truly gigantic space which Shepard will visit before and after the Reapers take it apart,” said level artist Don Arceta. “If you Google Map Vancouver, the layout is pretty much the exact same as our map. Geographically, it’s very true to the real world.

“You play a game like Gears or War and they just have sandbags everywhere, and we really don’t want to do that. We really want to get away from arbitrary things placed just for the people working there, and we’re just trying to really make sense of these spaces. We try to design the arhitecture first before we blow it up, like, really thinking about how did they actually design this building, and does it function well.”

Levels in the game are large, and need to be because players will be participating in a boss fight against a six hundred foot Reaper. The spaces also need to be large so that Shepard can pilot his fifty foot Cerberus Atlas mech later on in the game.

“I think Lair of the Shadow Broker is a good look at how we design levels now,” said Hudson. “It’s all about sudden shifts in the action. There’s a section on Earth where you’re running a narrow walkway and there’s a war going on all around you and a ship is in the distance. Suddenly its nuclear core blows up and its suchs a shockwave that it knocks you off the walkway and you end up sliding down the glass face of a knocked over high-rise and then you kind of roll and catch yourself and all that happens in a moment of gameplay.

“You have control thoughout and that’s when you’ll realise annything could happen at any time.”

According to the development team, the utter scale of Mass Effect 3, including every fight and every enemy, is bigger than anything ever rendered in the Mass Effect universe or by “the Unreal Engine before.”

For the fans

Players new to the Mass Effect universe and just starting out with ME3 can expect to be caught up rather quickly at the beginning of the game.

According to Hudson, the team will implement something similar to what PS3 users received with ME2, but it may not be the same “comic style,” of prequel.

“We’ll do something in the same style to recap the story”, said Hudson. “It’s essentially a really fancy save game generator. The challenge is to make the game better than ever before, to make it a great entry point for new players, and to make it the ending fans deserve. It’s about making sure it starts the way a great story should start versus just being a continuation.

“And thats tough because there is no canon except for what the player has chosen. In the end, its their game.”
Given how ambitious this all seems, I'm even more glad that Bioware delayed the release date.
Old 05-11-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Snicket
New info, new spoilers:

Spoiler:
Shepard vs Cerberus

According to Xbox World Magazine, the game will contain fewer squad mates this time around as the developers though that 12 was just too many.

“Twelve was a big number in Mass Effect 2 – almost too big”, said Casey Hudson. “We’re focused on a smaller squad with deeper relationships and more interesting interplay in Mass Effect 3. We’re not going to have twelve again but we are going to do more with the characters on your squad including Liara, and Kaidan or Ashley. And we’re bringing everyone back – every main character is in Mass Effect 3 somewhere.”

Characters in the game have had their appearance updated by the same team which created the original characters. Each player will mature a bit especially in the armor department and Garrus’ armor was used as one such example. Shepard has changed quite a a bit as well, especially compared to how his armor appeared in Mass Effect 1. Cerberus heavy troopers will be sporting massive armour, while Assassins will use the same Biotics as Shepard.

Things have changed with Cerberus as well, and it was noted that no matter how you finished Mass Effect 2, Cerberus are now your enemy. Shepard is unsure why at the beginning why Cerberus is sending commandos after him, but he will discover the reason later in the game when the Illusive Man returns.

“You were begrudgingly working for Cerberus in ME2,” said Hudson, “but they’ve gone a bit further and Shepard has returned to the Alliance so Cerberus troops are a major threat.”

“Cerberus Troopers can do everything that Shepard can do now,” added designer Corey Gaspur. “So your fighting a force that’s a lot more punishing.”

“We wanted to make it so that when the player’s fighting in the moment they feel like they have more options than aiming shooting and using powers,” added lead gameplay designer Christina Norman. “We really want to make mobility a factor that plays into combat. You’ll always ask yourself: “Am I in the right position on the battlefield? Where are my enemies? How am I going to get from point A to point B?’

“Players should never be walking into these safe places with great cover and stay there for the whole fight. It’s about how you’re going to move through the battlefield as the enemies through the battefield move through the battlefield and how they’re reacting to one another and to you.”

Location, location, location

While previous article on locations in the game have been talked about already, BioWare confirmed in Xbox World that the Turian homeworld of Palaven and the Quarian homeworld of Rannoch will be new destinations early on in Mass Effect 3.

Players will also be making a return to Tuchanka, and even go on mining missions on a Martian crater, but it will be the cities of Earth which will really standout as the game’s “showpiece locations.”

“The Seatle/Vancouver megacity on the west coast of North America is a truly gigantic space which Shepard will visit before and after the Reapers take it apart,” said level artist Don Arceta. “If you Google Map Vancouver, the layout is pretty much the exact same as our map. Geographically, it’s very true to the real world.

“You play a game like Gears or War and they just have sandbags everywhere, and we really don’t want to do that. We really want to get away from arbitrary things placed just for the people working there, and we’re just trying to really make sense of these spaces. We try to design the arhitecture first before we blow it up, like, really thinking about how did they actually design this building, and does it function well.”

Levels in the game are large, and need to be because players will be participating in a boss fight against a six hundred foot Reaper. The spaces also need to be large so that Shepard can pilot his fifty foot Cerberus Atlas mech later on in the game.

“I think Lair of the Shadow Broker is a good look at how we design levels now,” said Hudson. “It’s all about sudden shifts in the action. There’s a section on Earth where you’re running a narrow walkway and there’s a war going on all around you and a ship is in the distance. Suddenly its nuclear core blows up and its suchs a shockwave that it knocks you off the walkway and you end up sliding down the glass face of a knocked over high-rise and then you kind of roll and catch yourself and all that happens in a moment of gameplay.

“You have control thoughout and that’s when you’ll realise annything could happen at any time.”

According to the development team, the utter scale of Mass Effect 3, including every fight and every enemy, is bigger than anything ever rendered in the Mass Effect universe or by “the Unreal Engine before.”

For the fans

Players new to the Mass Effect universe and just starting out with ME3 can expect to be caught up rather quickly at the beginning of the game.

According to Hudson, the team will implement something similar to what PS3 users received with ME2, but it may not be the same “comic style,” of prequel.

“We’ll do something in the same style to recap the story”, said Hudson. “It’s essentially a really fancy save game generator. The challenge is to make the game better than ever before, to make it a great entry point for new players, and to make it the ending fans deserve. It’s about making sure it starts the way a great story should start versus just being a continuation.

“And thats tough because there is no canon except for what the player has chosen. In the end, its their game.”
Given how ambitious this all seems, I'm even more glad that Bioware delayed the release date.
Old 05-11-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

God this game sounds awesome.
Old 05-12-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
God this game sounds awesome.

Yes it does.
Old 05-12-11, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bioware claims these are actual screenshots. They look more like promo art to me.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 05-12-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

probably PC version with 5 graphics cards screenshots

glad they used less main characters. in ME1 i only used a few characters. maybe the next version of x-box they will make a game where you can have all 12 characters in a battle at once and you can direct squads, etc
Old 05-12-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
I bet the final mission was designed to anger the reapers to bring them into the galaxy to wipe out all the other races except humans
Why would they spare humanity when we're seemingly the only species to ever thwart the Reapers' will? It's happened twice now... if anything, harvesting humanity would be the Reapers' top priority.
Old 05-12-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This game, Skyrim, and a second season of Game of Thrones: 3 primary reasons to keep living for another year.
Old 05-13-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moviepage
this game, skyrim, and a second season of game of thrones: 3 primary reasons to keep living for another year.
spoilarz!!!1!1!!!1!
Old 05-13-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Bioware claims these are actual screenshots. They look more like promo art to me.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Those aren't in game shots! My Shephard doesn't look anything like that

Btw, check the links you posted. One says concept, one says screenshot.
Old 05-13-11, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Btw, check the links you posted. One says concept, one says screenshot.
I got both pics from the Bioware forum where the poster (a Bioware employee) claimed they were both screenshots. Guess he was wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-13-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several early-looking screens in GameInformer's spread last month, including a few action shots and an updated character model for Ashley. Here's a screen from this post at GI:

Spoiler:
Old 05-13-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Why would they spare humanity when we're seemingly the only species to ever thwart the Reapers' will? It's happened twice now... if anything, harvesting humanity would be the Reapers' top priority.
the story is not exactly literature prize material. i'm going to buy it but i don't really care for how or why of the story. it's mostly thought up for a sequel and the DLC

the quality of the story is about Gears of War quality or one of the forgettable action movies where the peon characters are always smarter than the powers that be
Old 05-13-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
the story is not exactly literature prize material. i'm going to buy it but i don't really care for how or why of the story. it's mostly thought up for a sequel and the DLC

the quality of the story is about Gears of War quality or one of the forgettable action movies where the peon characters are always smarter than the powers that be
Ok. But even by those lofty standards, the Reapers sparing humanity pretty much makes no sense.
Old 05-13-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the whole game makes no sense

a huge advanced spaceship that is supposedly millions of years old attacks the center of galactic government and almost wipes everyone out along with a former special ops soldier who betrayed the government and was turned into bionic alien. and yet no one can figure out anything about it from the recovered pieces and no one seems to care except the lone hero.

the story has been done a million times

loved ME1. playing and liking ME2 as well even with the over simplification. looking forward to ME3. but not really salivating about the story. it's like TV series, the overall plot depends on the actors' contracts and whether they want new work or how much the producers like them. in this case ME1 was a hit so a story had to be made up for ME2. same with ME3

Last edited by al_bundy; 05-13-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the entire Council was indoctrinated. Then they passed a BS cover story to the media.
Old 05-16-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something new for (M)ass Effect:

Mass Effect Executive Producer Casey Hudson has confirmed that the final installment of the trilogy will finally allow a male Shepard to know the touch of another man. Hudson tweeted over the weekend that Mass Effect 3 will support "wider options for love interests," including same-sex for male and female characters "reactive to how you interact with them in-game."

Previous installments of the stellar, interstellar saga allowed Shepard to participate in male/female, lesbian and Asari tentacle-head encounters. The omission of a gay pairing for Shepard became even harder to reconcile when BioWare's Dragon Age series allowed players the freedom to define the sexual orientation of their protagonists.

In interviews, BioWare heads Drs. Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have been responsive to the subject. "The team has its perspective," Muzyka told us during February's DICE meeting. "When they created the character, when they defined him. We're pretty open to how the team wants to define their characters. We go with what they like."

It seems the team is ready to try something different.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/ma...-male-shepard/

I can imagine it now (well, it works up until the 1:05 or so mark):

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G4ze_R3TevE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-16-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-16-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

There's a male Shepard? huh...
Old 05-16-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Technicaly there isn't even a lesbian option. Female Shepard can only date Liara (not Ashley or any of the actual female characters in the game). Asari have no gender.
Old 05-16-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoiler:
The Seatle/Vancouver megacity on the west coast of North America is a truly gigantic space which Shepard will visit before and after the Reapers take it apart,” said level artist Don Arceta. “If you Google Map Vancouver, the layout is pretty much the exact same as our map. Geographically, it’s very true to the real world.

Nice..I hope to see some of my favorite landmarks destroyed.
Old 05-16-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Technicaly there isn't even a lesbian option. Female Shepard can only date Liara (not Ashley or any of the actual female characters in the game). Asari have no gender.
There was the option in ME2 to "have dinner" with Yeoman Kelly with a female Shepard after the final Collectors battle. The female Shepard can "have a moment" with Morinth or Samara, but since they are Asari, I guess they fall under the "no gender" category. (Are there Asari that could be considered male? I guess not.)

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Romance

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.