Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect 3

Old 12-16-10, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mass Effect 3

Apparently Mass Effect 2 for PS3 uses the ME3 engine.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-n...-mass-effect-2

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1g9F0rgVzuw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1g9F0rgVzuw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-16-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Actually, the talk was the decisions from ME1 will have larger repercussions in ME3. What was mentioned specifically about ME2 with regards to ME3 is wether or not you "cheated" on your love interest from ME1.
I had no love interest in ME1. The women in that game sucked.
Old 12-16-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I've heard of those Mordin convos (apparently he has one regarding each love interest you're currently locked into) but have never been able to trigger one.

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I had no love interest in ME1. The women in that game sucked.
Although I disliked her at first, I really grew to care about Ashley. But I couldn't stand Liara. She was just so bland. She's the Mass Effect equivalent of Smallville's Lana Lang.

Originally Posted by Fandango
Apparently Mass Effect 2 for PS3 uses the ME3 engine.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-n...-mass-effect-2
Sweet. I ownder if they could do some sort of massive update to the PC version to take advantage of that.
Old 12-17-10, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although I disliked her at first, I really grew to care about Ashley. But I couldn't stand Liara. She was just so bland. She's the Mass Effect equivalent of Smallville's Lana Lang.
You take that back!

For the record, I also disliked Ashley at first. However, that never changed throughout the course of my 7 playthroughs. To remain spoiler-free, I'll just say that Kaiden was still with me at the end of the game nearly every time.
Old 02-10-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Clint Mansell to do Mass Effect 3 soundtrack

In a recent interview with music publication The Quietus, famed composer Clint Mansell revealed that he’s currently working on the soundtrack for the highly anticipated Mass Effect 3.

Mansell, who is most known for working with director Darren Aronofsky on films like The Wrestler and Black Swan describes his role as a DJ, hoping his music will aide the player. “You’ve got the holding pattern, then the big explosion where you need the score to kick in,” he says. “Then you need to take it off on a tangent. You’ve got all these different elements that change depending on what the player does. You have to figure out an overall symphony, but be able to break it down into component parts. You can bring the pain when required.”

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazin...-3-soundtrack/
Old 02-11-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Clint Mansell is great and all but... What happened to Jack Wall and his collaborators?

Oh and obligatory Requiem For A Dream score track:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hKLpJtvzlEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh and one from The Fountain for good measure:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ihF_aXi-Huk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-11-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon has $10 pre-order credit up. Reserved.

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-...fect3_20110211
Old 02-12-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this posted here:

Originally Posted by SpectreWarden91

Found this track by Sam Hulick on youtube..

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GgK6rmXV3rw?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nice. Maybe they're collaborating with Clint Mansell all along.
Old 02-12-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 02-12-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I think it's well suited

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BtCpttsZiys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It isn't his best OST, but it actually shows a good bit of range. Kind of weird seeming him going from something of a indie flick hero to doing something big like Mass Effect. Admittingly, Aronofsky gets the best out of him.

Another clip.
Spoiler:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GsosLFKwLRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 02-12-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no denying Clint Mansell is a fantastic choice. It's just a shame they gave Jack Wall, Sam Hulick, Richard Jacques, David Kates and Jimmy Hinson the boot after they'd done such a great job with Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. I would have rather Clint Mansell be collaborating with them than having replaced them entirely.

That gripe aside, I'm sure I'll adore whatever he has in store for Mass Effect 3.
Old 04-07-11, 11:15 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

ME 3 is the cover story of the new Game Informer

Commander Shepard has already saved the galaxy twice, but the final entry in the Mass Effect trilogy could be either the hero's last stand or finest hour. Earth is in jeopardy, entire civilizations are at risk, and we've got all the details. Our latest issue has 12 pages of exclusive info, screens, and art that no Mass Effect fan should miss.
Old 04-07-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still really looking forward to this game but the bugs that plague Dragon Age II really have me worried about how broken Mass Effect 3 will be when released.
Old 04-08-11, 08:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Here's some info that came from the Game Informer story.

It talks about how the events at the end of Arrival tie into it, so if you haven't played that yet, you may want to skip the spoiler.

Want to know about the new details for Mass Effect 3 in the latest Game Informer magazine? We have them right here.
Spoiler:
The game apparently starts with commander Shepard on trial because of the events in the “Arrival” DLC. While in trial,
the Reapers invade, and Shepard must get to the Normandy, fighting Reaper husks of various species along the way. The illusive man will once again be a prominent figure, and this time Cerberus is out to kill Shepard, though the reason is unknown. There will again be several different endings, with some being based on who is in your squad. For those of you who haven’t played the previous Mass Effect games, there will again be a comic to get everyone up to date, and allow for choices to be made if you don’t have a save file from Mass Effect 2.

As far as which characters you’ll be seeing, the following list is of playable ones:
Liara
Ashley or Kaiden
James Sanders
Garrus

These characters are confirmed to be in the game, but may not be squad-mates:
Wrex
Mordin
Legion
Anderson

Thankfully weapon mods are coming back, allowing you to attach parts onto your weapons, such as scopes, barrels etc. All classes in Mass Effect 3 can use every type of weapon available, but may be limited to how many weapons they can carry. The soldier class will be able to carry all weapons at once. Skill trees will be larger this time around, and your powers will evolve a few times as well.
Weapon mods coming back

http://nerdreactor.com/2011/04/08/ma...game-informer/
Old 04-08-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still really looking forward to this game but the bugs that plague Dragon Age II really have me worried about how broken Mass Effect 3 will be when released.
Just started Dragon Age 2 so I haven't encountered any of the bugs that are supposedly late in the game, but I thought ME2 was pretty solid and don't recall any major show stopping issues. Personally, I got the feeling DA2 was rushed but don't get that feeling with ME3 so I'm not worried.
Old 04-09-11, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't remember James Sanders? Is he a new character?

So Jack, Miranda, Thane (well he was terminally ill in ME2), Grunt, Tali, Jacob (won't miss him), Samara, Kasumi, Zaeed, and Doctor Chakwas might not return? Or are they simply unconfirmed?

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Just started Dragon Age 2 so I haven't encountered any of the bugs that are supposedly late in the game, but I thought ME2 was pretty solid and don't recall any major show stopping issues. Personally, I got the feeling DA2 was rushed but don't get that feeling with ME3 so I'm not worried.
I'm in act 2 of DAII and still haven't had any bugs. Though I did earn a thumbs up from Isabella (without even trying ) so we'll see soon enough.

I just hope greater care and polish is taken with ME3 because the bug reports regarding DAII are frightening.
Old 04-09-11, 02:09 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I don't remember James Sanders? Is he a new character?

So Jack, Miranda, Thane (well he was terminally ill in ME2), Grunt, Tali, Jacob (won't miss him), Samara, Kasumi, Zaeed, and Doctor Chakwas might not return? Or are they simply unconfirmed?
Yes, he's new, and the others haven't been confirmed. I'd imagine almost all of them would show up, if they survived your game. Especially Miranda, Jack, Tali, and Jacob since they were possible romance options.
Old 04-09-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, I hate story DLC.
Old 04-09-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Ugh, I hate story DLC.
Isn't it a bit early to bitch about DLC for a game that hasn't even been released?
Old 04-12-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, I hate story DLC.
As opposed to... what? These games are all story.
Old 04-12-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miranda better come back! She's my favourite character.
Old 04-13-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
As opposed to... what? These games are all story.
I meant DLC that directly ties into a sequel. I shouldn't need to buy supplementary material to understand the sequel.
Old 04-13-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I meant DLC that directly ties into a sequel. I shouldn't need to buy supplementary material to understand the sequel.
I highly doubt that ME3 will be complete gibberish if you didn't play through one or more of ME2's DLC entries.
Old 04-13-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
I highly doubt that ME3 will be complete gibberish if you didn't play through one or more of ME2's DLC entries.
Except that the ME3 is apparently going to start with Shepard on trial for the events in the Arrival DLC...

Maybe it's not a big deal, we won't know until ME3 comes out. But this whole DLC thing is exposing a tension of what exactly a videogame text is.
Old 04-13-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice, I hadn't heard that because I try to avoid spoilers when possible.

I haven't played any of the ME2 DLC yet (though owning all but The Arrival thanks to sales). I plan to get to all of them eventually.

If I like a game, I have no problem paying for and playing through the DLC. If the DLC is required to understand the sequel, then the writers fail at setting the stage during the sequel. Since we know there will be an introduction in ME3 for people that didn't play ME2 (like ME2 had for ME1-less people). I would imagine that would, at least, roughly cover the essential story points, DLC or otherwise.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.