Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mass Effect 3

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
“@DamonLindelof: No folks, I did NOT consult on the ending for MASS EFFECT 3. *#Sheesh”

Haha
Old 03-21-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

TO MASS EFFECT 3 PLAYERS, FROM DR. RAY MUZYKA, CO-FOUNDER OF BIOWARE

POSTED ON MARCH 21, 2012 BY DARKLARKE
To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Ray
Old 03-21-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think its pretty cool that Bioware actually responds and wants to add content that will (hopefully) make people more satisfied. Although i'm sure the internet folks will find some reason to complain.

There's all sorts of shitty games out there that don't get an apology.
Old 03-21-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't understand how the
Spoiler:
"similarity"
of the endings doesn't tell everyone that they're setting up for more content/sequels in the universe. Really,
Spoiler:
how disparate should they have made them given
they still need a sensible starting point.
Old 03-21-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think its pretty cool that Bioware actually responds and wants to add content that will (hopefully) make people more satisfied. Although i'm sure the internet folks will find some reason to complain.
paid content? Cause you know it ain't gonna be a free DLC!

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.
Comments are closed
Old 03-21-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
"similarity"
of the endings doesn't tell everyone that they're setting up for more content/sequels in the universe. Really,
Spoiler:
That's a good point.
Old 03-21-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
"similarity"
Spoiler:
Great point.
Old 03-21-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously? Am I the first person to say that out loud? That was one of my first thoughts, but I figured by hour 7, it had been beaten to death across the internet
Old 03-21-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously? Am I the first person to say that out loud? That was one of my first thoughts, but I figured by hour 7, it had been beaten to death across the internet
I think you may be the first person. Everyone is either saying "Get over it." or "THEY RUINED MY LIFE!"
Old 03-21-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the original plan was that further games in the Mass Effect universe will, to quote executive producer Casey Hudson; "happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after," that wouldn't seem to have been a consideration at the time.

Spoiler:
What ultimately happens in RGB, especially if you pick synthesis, are easier to reconcile for a new game than just giving me some idea of how curing the genophage or uniting the quarians and the geth plays out, how?

And the fact that the ending videos are similar aren't their biggest "sin." The ending is completely divorced from the themes and ideals of the rest of the franchise and it forgoes the game's defining play mechanic (the dialog wheel) in favor of a "high level" conversation that in and of itself is illogical and rife with plot holes. In fact, the final battle on Earth as a whole is lacking (and has a major head scratcher that any long time Mass Effect fan should have been pulling their hair out over).

Last edited by ultimaton; 03-21-12 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 03-21-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The dialog wheel was always two major options, though, the conversations were just written in such a way that they appeared seamless.
Old 03-21-12, 04:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

A question about the future of the game:

Spoiler:
Didn't Bioware basically destroy the ME universe?

Because with the ME relays all destroyed, you can no longer visit the existing planets or races, right?

Maybe in the next game they can discover a new ME relay to another system but the old systems and races are as good as gone?
Old 03-21-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Maybe. The races know it's possible and they know they're out there. Someone created the Relays, they can be created again.
Old 03-21-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoiler:
Maybe. The races know it's possible and they know they're out there. Someone created the Relays, they can be created again.
The
Spoiler:
the reapers created the relays
Old 03-21-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
A question about the future of the game:

Spoiler:
Didn't Bioware basically destroy the ME universe?

Because with the ME relays all destroyed, you can no longer visit the existing planets or races, right?

Maybe in the next game they can discover a new ME relay to another system but the old systems and races are as good as gone?
The best course of action would to
Spoiler:
keep the relays intact, but still have large scale devastation, the next tale would be picking up the pieces
Old 03-21-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris Priestly of Bioware posted on their forum today that for anyone who had issues importing their ME1 or ME2 Shepard's appearance into ME3, they have figured out what the issue was and a fix will be in the next patch. The downside is that he has no idea when the patch will be out, because it has to go through the certification process at Microsoft and Sony.
Old 03-21-12, 07:19 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The best course of action would to
Spoiler:
keep the relays intact, but still have large scale devastation, the next tale would be picking up the pieces
well of course
Spoiler:
The main component to MASS EFFECT was the MASS EFFECT relays and how humanity joined a much bigger alliance of systems because of them. For countless 'cycles' the ME relay technology has never been replicated. Ever. Especially because you need to have 2 of them. You can't just build one and pop on over to help the Krogen make one.

Now for the next game we're going to somehow build one out of parts that blew up? We'll never travel to an alien system again unless they magically pull out of their ass some magic way that does away with all the backstory the game ever had in the first place.
Old 03-21-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The
Spoiler:
the reapers created the relays
No, the
Spoiler:
"Catalyst" created the Reapers AND the Relays
Old 03-21-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Chris Priestly of Bioware posted on their forum today that for anyone who had issues importing their ME1 or ME2 Shepard's appearance into ME3, they have figured out what the issue was and a fix will be in the next patch. The downside is that he has no idea when the patch will be out, because it has to go through the certification process at Microsoft and Sony.
I doubt that there's a single person that has held off playing because of that. Though it might be cool for multiple play-throughs. I was able to re-create my Shepard pretty darn close, so no big thang.
Old 03-21-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Originally Posted by slop101
I doubt that there's a single person that has held off playing because of that. Though it might be cool for multiple play-throughs. I was able to re-create my Shepard pretty darn close, so no big thang.
Not only that, but it's absolutely ridiculous the bug wasn't found when they did the import module. That shit wouldn't have got past unit testing in my world. It's far too central to the idea of the cross-game immersion.
Old 03-21-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I saw a bunch of people on Bioware's Forums complaining that they wouldn't play the game until they could use their Shepard. I personally haven't played it yet either, but that's because I'm actually working my way through ME2 for the first time currently. Depending on how long that takes, the patch might be out by the time I finish.

The thing I'm wondering is if the patch will require restarting ME3 and re-importing, or if it will retroactively correct a face that was messed up in the import.
Old 03-21-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will almost certainly require a restart.
Old 03-21-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly it is smart business to give a possible altrrnate ending dlc, how else are they going to sell dlc and future mass effect games (which mayzuka confirmed today)
Old 03-22-12, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not going to ask anyone watch this since it doesn't bring anything new to the conversation, but the quote at the end is kind of poignant.

Originally Posted by yahtzee
Is it possible you're dissatisfied with the ending simply because it *was* ending, fanboys?
Yup.

<embed src="http://cdn2.themis-media.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.7.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.themis-media.com/videos/config/5497-4e68c65a9fbd8c974a51872902fc695c.js%3Fplayer_version%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed>
Old 03-22-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it possible you're dissatisfied with the ending simply because it *was* ending, fanboys?
Nope. It's poorly written nonsense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.