Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Space 2

Old 01-27-11, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,059 Likes on 642 Posts
Re: Dead Space 2

Originally Posted by foxdvd
yes...but just do your first hack (you don't need to finish it)...and you will unlock all the stuff in dead space 2
say what?!?!?!?!
Old 01-27-11, 06:22 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
say what?!?!?!?!
when you play Dead Space Ignition you unlock a bunch of stuff in Dead Space 2....but you actually don't have to finish Ignition, you only have to play for 5 minutes up until the first hack mini-game in Ignition. At that point you get a save, and that is all you need to unlock all the goodies...
Old 01-27-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

motherfucker.
Old 01-27-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it takes too much to impress me these days. I just finished it in under 8 hours and I searched everything and got 800/1000 achievements. The entire game felt like a lead-up to something that never happens. There was no real story, just wandering halls and then doing something at the end that was never really explained. The game looks and plays nicely, but lacks any depth at all. It felt exactly like part 1, with less puzzles and a boring Zero-G.
Old 01-28-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

I picked this up last night. Played until I reached chapter 3 and am liking it so far. I haven't played the first so I have no basis for comparison but it's definitely one of the better action/survival horror games I've played in a while.

Could someone break down the timeline? I want to rent both of the movies that have been released but I don't know where they fit in relation to the games.
Old 01-28-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead Space: Martyr (novel)

Dead Space Comics (also available as a trade hardback) and Dead Space: Extraction (game - Wii & PS3 Move)
both of these occur at the same time, different protagonists

Dead Space: Downfall (movie)

Dead Space (game - 360, PS3, PC)

Dead Space: Aftermath (movie)

Dead Space: Salvage (trade paperback)

Dead Space: Ignition (game - 360 & PS3)

Dead Space 2 (game - 360, PC & PS3)
Old 01-28-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
I guess it takes too much to impress me these days. I just finished it in under 8 hours and I searched everything and got 800/1000 achievements. The entire game felt like a lead-up to something that never happens. There was no real story, just wandering halls and then doing something at the end that was never really explained. The game looks and plays nicely, but lacks any depth at all. It felt exactly like part 1, with less puzzles and a boring Zero-G.
Finished it last night, and while I agree with you on the story front, I don't agree with your general apathetic take from the game. Honestly Dead Space isn't too much about the story for me. It's always felt really convoluted and full of holes IMO anyway. It's the journey and the environment that propels me forward. It's the feeling of panic. Of impending doom. I find they do an amazing job with the peripheral aspects of the game to always keep me in suspense.

Spoiler:
Particularly with the end chapter of DS2. Between everything rattling apart, being chased by the regen necro and the pounding score straight out of Inception, I was feeling very stressed out. I wasn't even close to dying, or having a problem keeping the regen necro at bay, it was just the combo of everything going on that was making me feel rushed and almost out of control. I loved the environment and the atmosphere and didn't really give a shit that I didn't exactly understand what I just did by stabbing my own eye. All I know is that it was insanely uncomfortable and totally kickass!
Old 01-28-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I played for 2 hours last night and was able to reach Chapter 5. Loving everything about the game.

Great job EA! I really hope this game sells better than the first one.
Old 01-28-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Dead Space: Martyr (novel)

Dead Space Comics (also available as a trade hardback) and Dead Space: Extraction (game - Wii & PS3 Move)
both of these occur at the same time, different protagonists

Dead Space: Downfall (movie)

Dead Space (game - 360, PS3, PC)

Dead Space: Aftermath (movie)

Dead Space: Salvage (trade paperback)

Dead Space: Ignition (game - 360 & PS3)

Dead Space 2 (game - 360, PC & PS3)
Thanks. So I can go ahead and watch both movies before finishing DS2. I wasn't sure if the movie that just came out took place after and would have spoiled the story.
Old 01-28-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had time to play since the first night. I think I'm going to start over tonight and play on Normal instead. Survivalist is a little aggravating without any upgrades.

I'm going to have to learn to use other weapons since I played DS1 with the plasma cutter almost exclusively and here it's not as powerful and there's no achievement for using just one weapon the whole game.
Old 01-28-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't see there was an achievement for Hardcore last night and jumped right to Zealot for my 2nd playthrough. Guess I'll see how it goes, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to kick it down for sure. As least my totally stacked reserves are full of ammo this time around from the casual playthrough.
Old 01-28-11, 11:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any advantages/bonuses in having an existing Dead Space 1 game save (a la Mass Effect)?
Old 01-28-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Played for a few hours on Casual difficulty last night and got to Chapter 4 I believe, maybe 5. Creepy as hell and every bit as good as the first so far, maybe even better because it isn't all fetch quests this time. The one thing I'm not a fan of is the child necromorphs, both because they're assholes and I find it slightly unsettling to have to shoot kids. I also wish there was a clearer break between chapters, but that's a really small complaint.

Originally Posted by DRG
Are there any advantages/bonuses in having an existing Dead Space 1 game save (a la Mass Effect)?
You get the plasma cutter from the first game in the store, though I believe it's only a cosmetic difference between it and the DS2 plasma cutter.

Last edited by FatTony; 01-28-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-28-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts

Okay, you weren't kidding about Ignition. I had to look up some puzzles on Youtube to solve some of them. The frustration factor alone (on the sperm hacks especially) were ridiculous. It was all luck. I barely finished before I went insane.

It's like the designers said "okay, let's keep on introducing more obstacles, and make your guy slow and them fast, and this and that, it'll be great!!"

Fuck you, Ignition.

*deleted from hard drive*

So glad I didn't pay for this.

Time for some Dead Space 2.
Old 01-28-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished first playthrough, took me around 13 hours also.

What a fantastic game! After the ending, I immediately started a new game+ on Zealot difficulty and I'm already on chapter 3 this time around.

This is the kind of experience that makes me happy to be a gamer.
Old 01-28-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/de...packs-availab/

I think I used a level 6 suit or something, the most powerful, in the first game. I don't remember the details on how I got it, but I don't think I paid for it.

Not getting these either. I already have the Hacker suit, and another one is available in the store.

So, I kinda suck at hacking for some reason, that's why I love the hacker suit. If I use another suit, will I lose the ability to hack more easily?
Old 01-28-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/de...packs-availab/

I think I used a level 6 suit or something, the most powerful, in the first game. I don't remember the details on how I got it, but I don't think I paid for it.

Not getting these either. I already have the Hacker suit, and another one is available in the store.

So, I kinda suck at hacking for some reason, that's why I love the hacker suit. If I use another suit, will I lose the ability to hack more easily?
The first DS had a few suits available week 1 as free DLC. I think that's what you're thinking of.

As for the abilities of suits...you retain the slot size and armor % of your best rig, but the abilities are specific to what you're wearing.
Old 01-28-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
The first DS had a few suits available week 1 as free DLC. I think that's what you're thinking of.
Yeah, I think that was it.
Old 01-28-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts

I remember the green Xbox suit from DS.

Hey, when do you get the hacker suit? I finished Crapnition, and I am on chapter 2 on DS2. I am about an hour or so in, and it's been pretty cool.
Old 01-28-11, 05:17 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Finished first playthrough, took me around 13 hours also.

What a fantastic game! After the ending, I immediately started a new game+ on Zealot difficulty and I'm already on chapter 3 this time around.

This is the kind of experience that makes me happy to be a gamer.

I did the same thing...and so far with all the weapons and rig upgrades, along with the better rig, I am finding Zealot easier than Survivalist....

Spoiler:
not looking forward to that part on top of the giant drill rig late in the game...omg...
Old 01-28-11, 05:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think I'll start it on hard tonight. I play almost everything on hard these days, anyways.
Old 01-28-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
Somewhat -- standard hacking makes you find 3 blue spots in the time limit, while the hacker suit reduces that to 2. And yes, it goes back to 3 if you change to another suit.

I kept the hacker suit for a large portion of the game, but later on you can acquire suits that give much better benefits that outweigh the slight convenience of easier hacking.

I'm really liking the Elite versions of all the standard suits that you pick up on new game +.
Old 01-28-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Check out the weapon you unlock upon completing Hard Core mode

Spoiler:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eBS86rAT4W0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-29-11, 10:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I remember the green Xbox suit from DS.

Hey, when do you get the hacker suit? I finished Crapnition, and I am on chapter 2 on DS2. I am about an hour or so in, and it's been pretty cool.
as nick asked...how or when do you get the Hacker suit?
Old 01-29-11, 10:47 AM

Hacker suit became available to me during Chapter 3. I believe I found the schematic for it, but can't remember where.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.