Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Space 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Space 2

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nope. No one. No one wrote a small paragraph about no one's experience with it two posts above yours. Nope.
Yeah, that was such a short line I didn't even bother to read it. Looking back, it looks like i made the right choice!
Old 01-26-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Multiplayer is basically always objective based. Each match is two rounds with the teams switching sides mid-game.

The humans seem to be a tactical marine squad whose job it is to disable the facility/vessel. There are five (5) targets they must destroy, in sequence. Each target has a set time limit in which it must be destroyed. If they fail to destroy it in the time, the Necromorphs win. If they do destroy the current target within the time, the next target becomes available deeper in the map and time is added to the remaining time to destroy it. Hence, they are rewarded for working quickly. Communication is key because the 'Morphs swarm quickly and respawn near instantly.

The Necromorphs are charged with killing the humans so they can't disable the structure (though I'm not sure they'd technically understand that). When spawning you get a choice of four (4) classes with the smaller classes taking less time to become available, but obviously less durable. Still, I personally preferred the smallest one. Once you pick your class, you're allowed to pick your spawn point, which is usually a duct opening in a wall or floor. It's neat because you can spawn right behind the squad of advancing humans and fuck shit up. You also get a cool view of the humans as basically a circulatory system which changes colors as their health gets low.

It's got your standard levelling system and unlocks, but I'm not sure exactly what all is up there other than skins and weapon types.

No multiplayer achievements as far as I could tell so that's good.
Old 01-26-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Man...I feel like I'm tearing ass through this game. There's no definite breaks in the action like the first one had between chapters so I just keep going and going. I'm in Chapter 5 currently and not even to 3 hours yet I don't think. Hope there's like 30 Chapters. :LOL:
I finished it today. This game does go by REAL quick, but it's definitely fun enough to play through multiple times. There's 14 chapters, and they do get more challenging at the end (not sure about casual difficulty). I played on Normal, but once I got to the last few levels I couldn't stop thinking screw playing this game in Hard Core mode. I died pretty frequently. It's much more difficult than the first one was, IMO.

All I can say is, learn to get creative in how you kill things because ammo is SPARSE... and the Plasma Cutter isn't nearly as effective as it was in the first game.
Old 01-26-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very helpful tip for those playing the 360 version of the game and doing (or planning to do) a Hardcore playthrough: the game gives you a freebie checkpoint after the disc swap, at the beginning of Chapter 7. This is in addition to the 3 saves you're allowed.

So there are advantages to disc swapping!
Old 01-26-11, 11:54 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ALMOST DONE!

I am on chapter 14...or just started it actually...not sure how many more chapters, but I am near 13 hours now.

Game of the Year nominee already! It is going to be a tough year, with Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Deus Ex (maybe this year) Ghost Recon (maybe this year) but this game is amazing...
Old 01-27-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

I really considered throwing my controller through my television tonight while finishing Ignition.
Old 01-27-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I really considered throwing my controller through my television tonight while finishing Ignition.
Get that shit out of this thread. We don't discuss it.
Old 01-27-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
ALMOST DONE!

I am on chapter 14...or just started it actually...not sure how many more chapters, but I am near 13 hours now.
I'm up to Chapter 12. Looking to maybe finish my first run through tomorrow or Friday at this rate.

Re: Chapter 10

Spoiler:
What an awesome fucking surprise! It actually made me glad I didn't go back and run through 1 again quick. It was fun not being in that area for a few years but still being totally familiar with my surroundings.
Old 01-27-11, 01:30 AM
gamer for life

Re: Chapter 10

Spoiler:
What an awesome fucking surprise! It actually made me glad I didn't go back and run through 1 again quick. It was fun not being in that area for a few years but still being totally familiar with my surroundings.
TRUE TRUE

Spoiler:
I know what you mean...seeing all the damage, and blast marks and holes where that monster came out at you over and over again...this game really is something special
and seeing
Spoiler:
all the stuff wrapped up and tapped up as you start to work your way in....
but most of all, the part that just blew my mind like no other game has EVER done
Spoiler:
actually I am just fucking with those that are tempted to click on spoilers with that last part

I don't want the game to end...
Old 01-27-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahhh! I want to read those spoilers...

It took me 1.5 hours, according to the save, to finish chapter 1. I searched every corner, I was checking the path to go and then going the opposite way to find ammo and meds. I'm playing on Normal, after reading about the difficulty here, and I never died in the first chapter. I even forgot to use statasis with the big boss at the end of the chapter (duh!).

My first achievement was Shoot the Limbs!
Old 01-27-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
I even forgot to use statasis with the big boss at the end of the chapter (duh!).
I hate to admit this but I probably finish the majority of the first Dead Space without using stasis because I kept forgetting it too. I kept wondering why Normal on the first release seemed so fucking hard until I realized my mistake about 3/4 of the way through. I just got sucked into the battles and always forgot I had it, even when I was low on ammo. I won't make that same mistake this time.

I look forward to starting DS2 tonight.
Old 01-27-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The game is scary as hell. I made it to the third chapter and then we had to go eat so I didn't get to continue but the game is intense as hell.
I got a chance to play the demo last night and I made the mistake of playing it while wearing headphones.
Spoiler:
I almost shit myself when Issac has that quick vision while he's walking past all the pods.

I think I'll pick this up today after work.
Old 01-27-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Ahhh! I want to read those spoilers...
I gotta be honest..that's part of the inspiration to speak in them.
Old 01-27-11, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I finished it and got all 200 cheevo points. Holy crap what a terrible game, but I did it for the hacker suit and access to the four rooms that are only unlocked if you finished ignition.
Old 01-27-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by M Polo
I finished it and got all 200 cheevo points. Holy crap what a terrible game, but I did it for the hacker suit and access to the four rooms that are only unlocked if you finished ignition.
Yeah, but you get those extras if you just finish the game once from everything I have read. The extra achievement points couldn't make me revisit it ever again.
Old 01-27-11, 01:53 PM
gamer for life

Finished it...best game since Mass Effect 2...amazing...
Old 01-27-11, 01:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I got the PS3 version not too long ago. Looking forward to playing it tonight, as well as Extraction. I keep hearing great things about it and how cinematic it is, so I'm really excited to try it. Friends say it goes by so quickly because it's so immersive, non-stop and you just can't put it down.
Old 01-27-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
Friends say it goes by so quickly because it's so immersive, non-stop and you just can't put it down.
That is the problem. Not that it's "short" but rather that it flies by and you don't want to stop.
Old 01-27-11, 02:07 PM
gamer for life

That is the problem. Not that it's "short" but rather that it flies by and you don't want to stop.
yeah I think it took me about 13.5 hours...
Old 01-27-11, 02:43 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

are the save stations as frequent as 1?
Old 01-27-11, 02:45 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by scott1598
are the save stations as frequent as 1?
save stations are all over the place...I never lost more than a few minutes when I died...
Old 01-27-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
save stations are all over the place...I never lost more than a few minutes when I died...
Not only that, but there are obviously checkpoints as well because when I would die it was not back to my last save. Usually it was right outside the area I died in.
Old 01-27-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts

I picked this up for $35 at K-Mart today. I have a code for Ignition from back when I pre-ordered it from Amazon. Is the game really that bad? Ignition, I mean.
Old 01-27-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loving this game, I'll say the same thing I said about the first one. I can't believe EA had anything to do with this game.
Old 01-27-11, 05:05 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I picked this up for $35 at K-Mart today. I have a code for Ignition from back when I pre-ordered it from Amazon. Is the game really that bad? Ignition, I mean.
yes...but just do your first hack (you don't need to finish it)...and you will unlock all the stuff in dead space 2...the hacker suit is great when you get it, and there are a lot of extra nodes and money because of the unlocks...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.