Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Space 2

Old 01-31-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Space 2

Originally Posted by pinata242
I restarted on Normal last night and played to the exact same point I played to on Survivalist the first night. Then I was done.

Maybe it picks up after that or I was just bored redoing it all? Either way, I haven't had that "OMG GOTTA KEEP GOING" mindset kick in yet.
And maybe you won't. I know for me Dead Space is on the short list of my favorite games ever, so the atmosphere and environment of the game itself makes it hard for me to put down, even multiple times through. That being said, I didn't feel the immediate rush to go back to DS1 upon completion like I did with DS2. I think they did an incredible job with pacing and flow this time around.

How far are you up to? (As I actually find the first 3/4 to be much better than the remaining 1/4.)
Old 01-31-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrapped it up this weekend. Definitley worth the cash.
Old 01-31-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the middle of chapter 10. Game gets more difficult the more you advance in the chapters. It helps to plan ahead and use some of the more powerful weapons. I can't imagine doing this game with only one weapon, at least not in Normal or above.

I can't wait to finish this game, I peeked at some spoilers here, I didn't read too much, but I know that there are some big surprises!
Old 01-31-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I was able to finish it last night and obtain 50% of the achievements. I will dive back in a few days from now and work on all of the achievements besides the Zealot and Hardcore ones as I'm not interested in suffering through to get those. The game is fun to play but I'm not going to torture myself like I did on the Survivor difficulty of Bioshock (a real bitch).
Old 01-31-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I was able to finish it last night and obtain 50% of the achievements. I will dive back in a few days from now and work on all of the achievements besides the Zealot and Hardcore ones as I'm not interested in suffering through to get those. The game is fun to play but I'm not going to torture myself like I did on the Survivor difficulty of Bioshock (a real bitch).
I will say if you played through on a lower difficulty, and kept a good stockpile of stuff, a new game + on Zealot isn't really that terrible. You're coming in with beefed up weapons and armor from the jump and that helps considerably. I was expecting it to be much tougher than it was. I had to redo a few sections multiple times, but the checkpoints are really forgiving and ultimately once I got a plan down I was able to move forward.

I'd definitely say start off on Zealot if you're playing again. Worst case you can always knock it down while playing if you need to.
Old 01-31-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say a stockpile, do you bring your stored items (like ammo) as well? Or it it just equipment with the attached power nodes? What about unspent power nodes?
Old 01-31-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When you say a stockpile, do you bring your stored items (like ammo) as well? Or it it just equipment with the attached power nodes? What about unspent power nodes?
Yep...everything in your storage carries over as well as your balance of power nodes. Basically everything carries over in new game+. Thus my playthrough on Casual left me with TONS of ammo/medkits/stasis recharges/etc. It was an unexpected benefit for sure.
Old 01-31-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very, very nice!
Old 01-31-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Yep...everything in your storage carries over as well as your balance of power nodes. Basically everything carries over in new game+. Thus my playthrough on Casual left me with TONS of ammo/medkits/stasis recharges/etc. It was an unexpected benefit for sure.
As it should be. ALL games should be doing this by now...
Old 01-31-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Embarrassing question, where the fuck is the 1st suit? I think I missed it.

I'm at:

Spoiler:
the stasis area where you hack the machine and the Necro runs through the stasis field. He slices me every time then GAME OVER. Is the suit before or after this?
Old 01-31-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After. Use stasis
Old 01-31-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Spoiler:
the stasis area where you hack the machine and the Necro runs through the stasis field. He slices me every time then GAME OVER. Is the suit before or after this?
What pinata said. Then just make sure you shoot fast. Or hit him w/ stasis a bunch of times.

On a related note, that spot was probably one of the most replays I had to do on Zealot. One hit kill from that douche and I kept missing him like a moron.
Old 01-31-11, 06:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Embarrassing question, where the fuck is the 1st suit? I think I missed it.

I'm at:

Spoiler:
The suit is available in the store shortly after you progress through that section.
Old 01-31-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
What pinata said. Then just make sure you shoot fast. Or hit him w/ stasis a bunch of times.

On a related note, that spot was probably one of the most replays I had to do on Zealot. One hit kill from that douche and I kept missing him like a moron.
That's the exact spot that's resulted in GAME OVER for me four times in a row now in Hardcore mode. I thought it was just me. One hit kill on hardcore mode too, even with max health (as max as health can get that early in the game, at least). Strangely enough, I had zero problems with that part on my first 2 playthroughs.

I'm seriously considering using 1 of my 3 saves right before that room, just so I don't have to watch the opening scenes yet again (did I mention that they're unskippable? cause they are.) and then play up to that point for the umpteenth time.
Old 01-31-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh ok thanks guys! I just thought it was weird that on Normal that creature had a one hit kill. That's why I assumed I had missed the suit.
Old 01-31-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like it's a scripted death to me, regardless of difficulty or upgrades.
Old 01-31-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like it's a scripted death to me, regardless of difficulty or upgrades.
It definitely isn't scripted, as many people have completed hardcore without saving at all on disc one. Or at least that's what I'm reading, and I have no reason to doubt it. I'm almost certain that I didn't die at that point until my hardcore run.

He's just the fastest and most powerful enemy you've faced in the game at that point, and you're stuck in an awkward position when he's coming at you. Plus, immediately before it happens there's a semi-cutscene where you get the stasis module, and you don't actually take control of Isaac again until the necromorph is almost on you. Having zero upgrades to health or weapons at that point doesn't help.
Old 01-31-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Duh, I mean if you suck and let him touch you. The game is teaching you to use Stasis. If you fail, you should die.
Old 01-31-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts

It's definitely scripted. I died at first as well.
Old 01-31-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are no scripted deaths for Isaac Clarke in this game, other than the one at the end of course.

Spoiler:
Just kidding.
Spoiler:
Or am I?
Spoiler:
Yeah, I am.
Spoiler:
Probably.

Old 01-31-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a scripted one-hit kill!
Old 01-31-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Duh, I mean if you suck and let him touch you. The game is teaching you to use Stasis. If you fail, you should die.
Old 01-31-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MoviePage

He's just the fastest and most powerful enemy you've faced in the game at that point, and you're stuck in an awkward position when he's coming at you. Plus, immediately before it happens there's a semi-cutscene where you get the stasis module, and you don't actually take control of Isaac again until the necromorph is almost on you. Having zero upgrades to health or weapons at that point doesn't help.
This is what fucks me up, along with not using stasis.
Old 02-01-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only time(s) I've passed that first stasis part in one attempt is when I'm playing hardcore. Thank god. I agree that the game puts you in an awkward starting position with very little time to react.

Speaking of hardcore, my first attempt I was cruising right along all the way up to level 4. A group of necromorphs come out, including one that carries those exploding yellow sacks. I managed to kill them all unscathed, but missed shooting the yellow sack. Those things make me nervous when they're just lying on the ground so I used kinesis to pick up some random body part and shot the sack. I thought I was far enough away BUT... it exploded, killing me in the process. Hahaha! Committing suicide that far in is not good times.
Old 02-01-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

^^^One of many reasons why I think Hardcore is really more of a waste of time than an actual fun experience. They should have allowed at least one save per chapter or make you start at the beginning of the chapter you're on if you die.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.