Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just Cause 2

Old 03-26-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
Re: Just Cause 2

Originally Posted by slop101
Easier said than done with 20 people and a copter shooting at you, depleting your life in less time than it takes to grapple someone to you - and even if you succeed, you don't necessarily get much ammo out of it.
Hide behind a building or take cover somewhere. I have it on normal and I rarely die from getting shot. Most of the time it's from fucking around.
Old 03-26-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro
Spoiler:
The plane wreckage and hatch on the island are most definitely a shout out to Lost.

At the base of one of the mountain ranges. You can see the circle on your map if you look close.
Spoiler:

More specifically it's a reference to the Arecibo Observatory, but that will always be from Goldeneye for me.
The funny thing is I went exploring maybe 15 minutes after I posted this. I picked a random spot, and it turned out to be that area

Oh and let me say pulling people off towers or cliffs with the grappling hook never gets old.
Old 03-27-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of how people feel about this game, no one can deny that the best part and most fun part of the game is the grapple hook. THIS is what bionic commando should have been instead of the shitty mess it was.
Old 03-27-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
THIS is what bionic commando should have been instead of the shitty mess it was.
That's almost verbatim what I had in my notes for my next podcast. I was so let down by BC. Just Cause has lifted me up! I think it's biggest point of awesomeness is even just the range. That could easily make the entire thing pointless, but it goes on forever! A ton of fun.

I think this is the first game since GTA3 that I had to go buy while I still had a rental copy.
Old 03-27-10, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Easier said than done with 20 people and a copter shooting at you, depleting your life in less time than it takes to grapple someone to you - and even if you succeed, you don't necessarily get much ammo out of it.
Crapple on to the chopper and take it over. Then blast the shit out of everyone with unlimited ammo and rockets.
On the ground you gotta keep moving at all times, and use the 'evade' button.

No offense but if you're getting this overwhelmed on 'casual' you're doing something wrong - or you're just plain bad at it

Last edited by Gunde; 03-27-10 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

While I can grapple onto a chopper just fine, how do I hijack it without ammo? You need to first SHOOT the passenger before taking out the pilot. It's not every situation, and it's definitely not in the faction missions, but half of the random chaos shit I've tried, I'll just get completely overwhelmed by numbers, all of them pinpointing my location, and shooting the shit out of me - to give you an idea, I get riddled by about 20 rounds from all directions, near and far, before I can even pinpoint a person to shoot/grapple, and after I deal with them, they're too far for me to get their drop ammo, which disappears pretty quickly. And while I can grapple people, I can't ever seem to bring them all the way to me - is this even possible?
Old 03-27-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure what's going on. It's been my experience that the ammo from soldiers stays around for a long time, in fact I wasn't even aware it disappeared. Also it usually adds like 10-30 bullets everytime I grab one. What weapons are you using? Are you upgrading them at all via the black market?
Old 03-27-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get to da choppa!
Old 03-27-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and when I do jack a chopper, I'm taken out in about 5 seconds with just two rockets that I can't dodge unless I'm flying away.
Old 03-27-10, 11:04 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This really doesnt sound like casual difficulty.

The difficulty setting in this game seems to REALLY affect this kind of stuff. I never run out of ammo, guys never come in waves of more than 5 or 6 and ammo can be scarce but I always manage. All on casual.

The thing is, this game cannot change the difficulty setting once you start. At least thats something they could patch I guess, but for now if you're going to change the difficulty you have to restart. Maybe you should try to start a different game and try casual out.
Old 03-27-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and when I do jack a chopper, I'm taken out in about 5 seconds with just two rockets that I can't dodge unless I'm flying away.
Sounds like you're just terrible. There's...no hope.
Old 03-27-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is weird, since I recall a lot people having trouble with Red Faction, for example, which I thought was really easy. It's almost like no matter what I try, I get smoked, as if I'm just not playing the game right - maybe I need more hand holding than this game has.
Old 03-27-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got it off Steam this morning and managed to kill four hours before I even realized it. I get the feeling this is gonna be a serious time sink. Maybe even moreso than L4D.

I actually found riding on top of the car the most fun part of the game so far. As someone said earlier, shoot out the tires and enjoy the show.

I don't do a lot of gaming, but I haven't had much trouble staying alive. All I can suggest is:

Keep on the move contrantly.

Use cover as much as you can.

Make the most of the grappling hook to pull guys down, or when you can, grapple two guys together.

If you get up close in a pinch, you can whip the hell out of enemies with your grapple.

Headshots, headshots, headshots.

Grab every dropped gun that you can.

Only thing I can't seem to get the hang of is using the grapple and chute to glide over long distances.
Old 03-27-10, 02:41 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having fun with the game, but not blown away by it. One thing I have found is the game seems easy with the missions so far, but just playing around will get you killed. Seems like it should be the other way around..
Old 03-27-10, 02:43 PM
gamer for life

also, I am not happy about having to pay so much each time you get a weapon dropped. If I pick up a weapon, and lose my old weapon (the bulls-eye assault riffle) I have to pay 50,000 to get it again, since it is a special pre-oder weapon. That is just plain suck.
Old 03-27-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am having fun with the game, but not blown away by it. One thing I have found is the game seems easy with the missions so far, but just playing around will get you killed. Seems like it should be the other way around..
Exactly. The missions themselves have been a cake walk - it's when I try to create random chaos and take out colonels that all hell breaks loos and I can't survive for more than a minute - that is unless I find a mounted gun and detach it or something. I am finding that things have been getting more manageable as I find upgrades. But goons still seem to zero in on me from all directions and distances - I can't even see half the ones shooting at me, much less be able to shoot back.

And yeah, the black-market shop thing wasn't very well thought-out. A better system would've been to make the guns more expensive, but you only need to buy each gun once, and then pay a little bit each time you need ammo. Or pretty much anything rather than the system they have now.

My question would be, if you actually buy guns or vehicles as DLC, using real world money, do you have to pay for them in the game each time in order to use them? That's a pretty messed up, considering that, while plentiful, the money in the game is finite, unless you do the tedious races.
Old 03-27-10, 05:17 PM
gamer for life

it is not such a big deal with most weapons you upgrade, because I think if you upgrade a shotgun, and you pick one up at anytime, it is still upgraded....the problem I have is having to buy the special weapon, that you only get as a dlc, each time you want to use it, because enemies are not using this weapon....

Just had a fun mission where I had to blow up some rockets with satellites on them....so far there is some nice variety in the main missions.
Old 03-27-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Re-buying the weapons is a crock of shit especially at the prices they charge. I have yet to spend my money on any of them as it is asking too much. Now, by biggest gripe is having to spend an hour or more in some locations trying to find that last piece of equipment or thing to blow up to get to 100%. I wish that there was a little more help here.
Old 03-27-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I can grapple onto a chopper just fine, how do I hijack it without ammo? You need to first SHOOT the passenger before taking out the pilot. It's not every situation, and it's definitely not in the faction missions, but half of the random chaos shit I've tried, I'll just get completely overwhelmed by numbers, all of them pinpointing my location, and shooting the shit out of me - to give you an idea, I get riddled by about 20 rounds from all directions, near and far, before I can even pinpoint a person to shoot/grapple, and after I deal with them, they're too far for me to get their drop ammo, which disappears pretty quickly. And while I can grapple people, I can't ever seem to bring them all the way to me - is this even possible?
Alot of the times the enemy ends up killing the passenger for me

If that happens, just grapple to the chopper that shot you down. If you're getting blown out of the sky by SAM's, then...wait for it....

Destroy them before you fly.

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
got it off Steam this morning and managed to kill four hours before I even realized it. I get the feeling this is gonna be a serious time sink. Maybe even moreso than L4D.

I actually found riding on top of the car the most fun part of the game so far. As someone said earlier, shoot out the tires and enjoy the show.

I don't do a lot of gaming, but I haven't had much trouble staying alive. All I can suggest is:

Keep on the move contrantly.

Use cover as much as you can.

Make the most of the grappling hook to pull guys down, or when you can, grapple two guys together.

If you get up close in a pinch, you can whip the hell out of enemies with your grapple.

Headshots, headshots, headshots.

Grab every dropped gun that you can.

Only thing I can't seem to get the hang of is using the grapple and chute to glide over long distances.
The riding on the car scene was like a movie I thought. The way the cars just flew through the air and exploded, it was awesome.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Re-buying the weapons is a crock of shit especially at the prices they charge. I have yet to spend my money on any of them as it is asking too much. Now, by biggest gripe is having to spend an hour or more in some locations trying to find that last piece of equipment or thing to blow up to get to 100%. I wish that there was a little more help here.
I never fall below 400k. I usually only buy grenades. Money is never a problem.
Old 03-28-10, 01:02 AM
gamer for life

Just finished the White Tiger mission, and once again I have to say that the main story missions are great. This game really is a gem.....

I love the underwater effects

I loved spending 50,000 or so dollars on the first jet you unlock, get excited to fly it, only to crash it before take off and die

So far, when I die, or fail a mission it does not bother me having to do them over again, unlike GTA4, which made me want to pull my hair out.

Hook, and shotgun blast in the air is one hell of a combo..

The screams enemies make when you drag them from a car are almost to real...and it makes me laugh every time

Once I gave up on the DLC gun, ammo has not been a problem...still felt cheated by the fact you can not get ammo for these guns.

when the game gives you a big gun with unlimited ammo...you feel like a god..

The little public service announcements from time to time are about the funniest things I have heard in a video game.. I loved the one that sort of went like this "Govt officials deny any existence of the White Tiger rebels, and when they capture them they will be killed"
Old 03-28-10, 01:06 AM
gamer for life

This game also reminds me of people who complained about Far Cry 2 being brutal with the respawning enemies, and their God like ability to see you at all times, when you can not see them....how weapons jammed, and many other complaints....but when you played FC2 a certain way it became easy, and fun. This game is much better out of the gate than Far Cry 2 (which I hated the first 8 hours or so, started to like after that, and ended up loving by the end)...and I hope it keeps its momentum...
Old 03-28-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

....but when you played FC2 a certain way it became easy, and fun.
I would like to know what this certain way is - I really wanted to like FC2, but it was far too tedious and frustrating.
Old 03-28-10, 01:18 AM
gamer for life

I would like to know what this certain way is - I really wanted to like FC2, but it was far too tedious and frustrating.
I hated the game...stopped playing it many times...but something kept drawing me back (and there was a lack of games at the time)...and slowly it started to get easier...I posted a review a while back here at dvdtalk,....here it is...

Just finished Far Cry 2, and I have to say that I have never been this surprised by a game like this. I went from not liking it, to starting to like it but being frustrated, to now loving it. Some thoughts.....

1: I hated the guard post re-spawning so quickly. I understand that they would eventually replaced dead guards, but it would have been nice to do it in say a 24 hour period. That being said, I found myself playing the game differently. I would drive out of the way to avoid known roadblocks, especially late in the game when they started having rockets that would kill you in one hit. Even if you wanted to play this game balls to the wall, you still had to play a bit of stealth from time to time. So in a way the re-spawning made the game more edgy.

2: I am surprised this game did not get more attention for its graphics. I really did not see a game this year that was as breathtaking. Far Cry 2 was gorgeous, with huge vistas, no load times (except saves and bus travel) and the day and night cycle, along with dynamic weather, fire and other effects, that never let up. Grass and trees, unlike the Call of Duty 4, looked real. This game proves that you don't need 60 frames per second to impress. Only minor pop up I could see.

3: Loved loved loved the ending. It felt like the beginning of Far Cry 1....did anyone else notice that? I wish the ending was a little bit harder. Heck there were some guard post that I had a harder time with.

4: Enemy AI was so good at times that when it messed up it was a bit jarring, but there were things they did that really surprised me. I did not like their GOD like vision in the jungle, and their ability to fight indoors left a lot to be desired, but nothing will get your heart racing more in a fight then when you hear that sound of a car engine growling up and you know you are fixing to get run over.

5: Jamming enemy weapons you pick up....OK, but come on, within 5-30 shots? It sure seemed that they worked better then that for them. Jamming weapons that you buy after 2-3 missions? Screw realism, when you buy a weapon it should last longer. Not a big deal, as you get in the habit of running to a gun shop and replacing them, but just a small annoyance.

If you have not played this game do yourself a favor and pick it up. If you have only played this game up to about 40% or less, and gave up on it, stick with it. Change your play style, and you may find you love it. I would have given the game a 6 out of 10 at the start, 7 out of 10 about 35% in and ultimately a solid 9 of 10 at the end.
Old 03-28-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished the White Tiger mission, and once again I have to say that the main story missions are great. This game really is a gem.....

I love the underwater effects

I loved spending 50,000 or so dollars on the first jet you unlock, get excited to fly it, only to crash it before take off and die

So far, when I die, or fail a mission it does not bother me having to do them over again, unlike GTA4, which made me want to pull my hair out.

Hook, and shotgun blast in the air is one hell of a combo..

The screams enemies make when you drag them from a car are almost to real...and it makes me laugh every time

Once I gave up on the DLC gun, ammo has not been a problem...still felt cheated by the fact you can not get ammo for these guns.

when the game gives you a big gun with unlimited ammo...you feel like a god..

The little public service announcements from time to time are about the funniest things I have heard in a video game.. I loved the one that sort of went like this "Govt officials deny any existence of the White Tiger rebels, and when they capture them they will be killed"
I suck at flying jets, too. I bought one, flipped it upside and jumped out before it blew up. Then, it not only didn't blow up, but spun out of control into the air until it vanished

How is the DLC gun? I haven't entered the code yet.
Old 03-28-10, 01:25 AM
gamer for life

basically...from what I can remember, I always avoided guard post when I could, I visited the gunshop and replaced my weapons after every mission, and slowly the game ended up being fantastic. When fighting, I would run indoors every chance I got, because the enemies became easy that way.

I also, like you, heard some bad stuff about Red Faction, and found that game to be super easy. Once you realized that you needed to get in and out as fast as you can....the game never had a chance to corner you....

Also, I was terrified of a few missions on Saints Row 1. I had played the second one first, loved the hell out of it, and in reading reviews people complained they made it to easy. On the first game, everyone said the last few missions were to hard, and that one in particular, where you have to keep a guy from taking off in a plane, was almost impossible. A few people said expect to retry that mission 10 times or more....and I did it on the first try....I was like "that was it?"

Then I find other games and missions that people say are easy to be fucking hard as hell...so each their own I guess.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.