Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Re: Just Cause 2 Demo

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I felt the same way a couple missions after that when you have to
Spoiler:
ride on top of the car and shoot other vehicles coming from every direction while also being shot at.
Dying and then being sent back to the very beginning of the mission got really old really quick. But I finally got through it.

Still, I haven't been able to work up much enthusiasm for this game. I stopped playing shortly after that point.
Spoiler:

Shoot the tires. It's easy when you do that.
Old 03-25-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Just Cause 2

Originally Posted by slop101
Okay, I'll give it another chance (if it hasn't sold by the time I get home), mostly due to hearing about a cool secret location in the game:
[not really a spoiler, but just in case]
Spoiler:
As an homage to Lost, I guess there's a secret island tucked away in a corner of the world, not visible on the map, where if you fly over it your plane will fall apart and crash, forcing you to chute onto the island, which contains a mysterious hatch among other things...
Posted earlier in the thread
Old 03-25-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I went ahead and just bought this game thru Amazon. You can't beat the credit you get and the "secret" island has me totally sold.
Old 03-25-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scor-pi-o! Scor-pi-o! Scor-pi-o!
Old 03-25-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I will waste so many hours on that section alone.

I wonder if they included the Black Rock and if Richard will pop up from the bushes at random occasions to give hasty warnings.
Old 03-25-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Well, after 10 fucking tries, I can't seem to steer my parachute right to land in the zone at the very beginning of the game.

Fuck this noise - I'm done. On amazon marketplace it goes.
Well, this is coming from the worst video gamer in this forum, but I had absolutely no problem getting to the landing site on the first try. I didn't even have my chute open and I got that landing cinematic. Don't know what you were doing wrong there, but it wasn't a problem for me.

Question : It says this is a Games For Windows game. I thought that meant it had Live integration and Achievements, but I guess not. How do you tell which PC games do?
Old 03-26-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My little video of lost island

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZb3JLJ3umk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZb3JLJ3umk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't watch the show so i didn't know where the hatch was or anything like that, but the plane does crash and burn when you get there lol.
Old 03-26-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I loved the awesome Lost homage, the Goldeneye dish thing is pretty ridiculous too. Anybody else see that thing?!
Old 03-26-10, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, this is coming from the worst video gamer in this forum, but I had absolutely no problem getting to the landing site on the first try. I didn't even have my chute open and I got that landing cinematic. Don't know what you were doing wrong there, but it wasn't a problem for me.

Question : It says this is a Games For Windows game. I thought that meant it had Live integration and Achievements, but I guess not. How do you tell which PC games do?
I think it has to be Games for Windows - Live, emphasis on the Live to have achievements and live intergration. Games for Windows on the box I think just means it's a game...for Windows.

I'm downloading the demo for the PC and 360, I can't decide which version to get when I eventually get it.
Old 03-26-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
My little video of lost island

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZb3JLJ3umk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZb3JLJ3umk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't watch the show so i didn't know where the hatch was or anything like that, but the plane does crash and burn when you get there lol.
It says it's a private video.
Old 03-26-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It says it's a private video.

wtf... i changed that.. Let me check again

It's set at Share your video with the world (Recommended)

hmmm anyone have any idea what i did wrong?
Old 03-26-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I was over-complicating it, trying to steer/glide my parachute as if I were playing Pilotwings. When all I had to do was keep the landing marker in the middle of the screen.

After playing some more (and suffering though a shit-ton of glitches - seriously), I'd say it's pretty fun, but not on the same level as Crackdown, or even Red Faction Guerrilla. The star of the game is the world; it is fucking huge diverse and very well laid out, with a lot of detail and places to see considering how big it is.

What really, really holds the game down is a debilitating dearth of ammo. I keep running out of ammo (usually when I need it most), and there's none around to be found - it really brings the game to a screeching halt.
Old 03-26-10, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the lack of ammo sucks sometimes. I hope there's a cheat that hasn't been discovered yet that will allow unlimited ammo.
Old 03-26-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was over-complicating it, trying to steer/glide my parachute as if I were playing Pilotwings. When all I had to do was keep the landing marker in the middle of the screen.

After playing some more (and suffering though a shit-ton of glitches - seriously), I'd say it's pretty fun, but not on the same level as Crackdown, or even Red Faction Guerrilla. The star of the game is the world; it is fucking huge diverse and very well laid out, with a lot of detail and places to see considering how big it is.

What really, really holds the game down is a debilitating dearth of ammo. I keep running out of ammo (usually when I need it most), and there's none around to be found - it really brings the game to a screeching halt.
A few things I noticed were not every weapon has a prompt to pick it up. Some you can without the prompt to hit triangle some you can't. The cars steer like you are driving them on ice. It always happens when you flip an alarm that you have like 400000000 guys all over the place and it never ends. It is very hard to get away from them. The game is alright, but it has a lot of problems. I am not sure yet if I am going to keep it or sell it off while it's still worth something.
Old 03-26-10, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Yeah, it's pretty buggy for a high-profile relase. I was on those tower things trying to rescue that guy, jusped off and the computer wouldn't let me open my chute OR grapple on the entire 15 second fall to the ground where I landed in a stream with a painful thud. Ouch.

Still, it's pretty fun so far.
Old 03-26-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first one was pretty asstacular so either way this is a huge improvement.
Old 03-26-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The lack of ammo is because the game isn't a shooter. You're supposed to be creative with the grappling hook and the environment. Combine this with guns (be sure to pickup what the soldiers drop) and you'll never run out of ammo.
Old 03-26-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that's my problem too. I got tired of running around trying to avoid the never-ending stream of enemies coming for me and not finding any ammo. And then starting over at the same spot every time - a spot which has some story-related audio which I've now listened to about 75 times.

I had a LOT more fun with the demo. I'm thinking of just selling it too.
Old 03-26-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it's pretty buggy for a high-profile relase. I was on those tower things trying to rescue that guy, jusped off and the computer wouldn't let me open my chute OR grapple on the entire 15 second fall to the ground where I landed in a stream with a painful thud. Ouch.

Still, it's pretty fun so far.
I've played about 7 hours on the 360 and haven't had a single bug/glitch yet. Wonder if that's just a PC issue?

As for the ammo, I haven't noticed a huge problem outside of my 2 handed gun. The other usually refill whenever I take out a group of guys and pick up their ammo. I also notice there there are plenty of those ammo supply crates around.
Old 03-26-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gunde
The lack of ammo is because the game isn't a shooter. You're supposed to be creative with the grappling hook and the environment. Combine this with guns (be sure to pickup what the soldiers drop) and you'll never run out of ammo.
When you have 20 guys coming in on foot and being air dropped, along with cars and helicopters coming at you all at once, the only thing you can really do is shoot at them (or run away). And when you run out of ammo after killing only about 5 of the guys (who drop very little ammo, which you can't even pick up since that will get you riddled with bullets), there's really no options left. It's a serious design flaw.
Originally Posted by superfro
I've played about 7 hours on the 360 and haven't had a single bug/glitch yet. Wonder if that's just a PC issue?
I'm also on the 360 (3 hours in), and I've had some serious glitches. I'd grapple to a helicopter, and instead of either latching onto it, or not and falling, I'd stay in the air, seated as if I'm in a car, just suspended in mid-air unable to do anything, forcing me to restart - this happened a few times. There were some other things, but that was the major one.
Old 03-26-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also on the 360 (3 hours in), and I've had some serious glitches. I'd grapple to a helicopter, and instead of either latching onto it, or not and falling, I'd stay in the air, seated as if I'm in a car, just suspended in mid-air unable to do anything, forcing me to restart - this happened a few times. There were some other things, but that was the major one.
Yeah..I've had nothing like that whatsoever. I've noticed some goofy camera stuff if I get flipped around in a car once in awhile, but that fixes itself rather quickly. I've had nothing like you're describing.

As for the first part...what difficulty level are you playing on?
Old 03-26-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As for the first part...what difficulty level are you playing on?
That's the thing - I'm only on "casual".

One thing I found a good, easy workaround for is when I'd find a colonel in the capitol city, instead of dealing with his goons, I'd go to the top of a nearby skyscraper and sniper shoot the fucker. But that's only an option in the city. Unless I find an attack copter with missile launchers and rain hell down, but by the time I find such a copter to the time it takes to fly it where I need to, I'm out almost an hour - I need a more efficient method.

Last edited by slop101; 03-26-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mugwump
If you're heading for that "secret" island be sure to parachute from your plane or boat as you near the shore as I made the mistake of staying on too long and blew up thus forcing me to start over again.

And there must be a ton of download content coming as that island as well as some other spots I've found are full of structures and whatnot that you can't yet interact with.

As for the first mission I didn't even know you had to land in a particular spot as I just dove straight in and pulled the ripcord at the last moment.
I'm not even sure if it's that much of an homage to Lost as everyone previously thought. In fact, the way the plane crashes is because of these EMP towers that charge up and knock your plane out of the sky. I don't know if this is what happened on Lost or not. I don't watch the show so maybe I am wrong.

Oh and there is at least one mission on the island. I won't go into detail but it's a faction mission. There may be more but I have barely done any missions at all, so I don't know.

As much as I loved the awesome Lost homage, the Goldeneye dish thing is pretty ridiculous too. Anybody else see that thing?!
Where is this located? Same place?

As for the ammo, I haven't noticed a huge problem outside of my 2 handed gun. The other usually refill whenever I take out a group of guys and pick up their ammo. I also notice there there are plenty of those ammo supply crates around.
No bugs here either. I never run out of ammo either. If you do, grapple someone to you, kill them, steal their weapon. Easy.
Old 03-26-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I never run out of ammo either. If you do, grapple someone to you, kill them, steal their weapon. Easy.
Easier said than done with 20 people and a copter shooting at you, depleting your life in less time than it takes to grapple someone to you - and even if you succeed, you don't necessarily get much ammo out of it.
Old 03-26-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not even sure if it's that much of an homage to Lost as everyone previously thought. In fact, the way the plane crashes is because of these EMP towers that charge up and knock your plane out of the sky. I don't know if this is what happened on Lost or not. I don't watch the show so maybe I am wrong.
Spoiler:
The plane wreckage and hatch on the island are most definitely a shout out to Lost.

Where is this located? Same place?
At the base of one of the mountain ranges. You can see the circle on your map if you look close.
Spoiler:

More specifically it's a reference to the Arecibo Observatory, but that will always be from Goldeneye for me.

Last edited by superfro; 03-26-10 at 09:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.