Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Alan Wake

Originally Posted by porieux
Generally if you are going to be advertised at, then the content is free or greatly reduced price because of this. If you pay a premium, then the expectation is that you won't have to endure advertising. This is a pretty familiar concept,
One of the reasons I'm having a hard time understanding your point of view is that the above is blatantly false. Product placement has been huge in tv shows and movies for ages. If you go to the theater, you watch previews for other movies and see posters in the lobby. Anywhere you go that serves concessions has large logos from companies like Pepsi and Coke. Never has there been an understanding that this results in lower prices for concerts, ballgames, films, dvds, amusement parks, etc., etc., etc. If anything, video games without product/branding placement are fairly unique compared to the rest of the world.
Old 05-23-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but not playing one of the best games of the year, some will say of this generation, because of some ads it's one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard.

They are not in your face ads, you are not missing anything from the story if you don't see them. Some will say they make the game more realistic, but I really don't care either way.

Seriously, driving a Ford car, or walking and seeing an ad for a known brand won't affect your game play either way.
Old 05-23-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we know how the DLC is going to integrate into the game? Is it going to be like Heavy Rain or will it be like Mass Effect (ie, if I wait to play until the DLC comes out, it will be incorporated into my gameplay.)

Also, did anyone end up with an extra theme code or male avatar shirt?

PS My favorite in-game ad so far has to be the Obama billboard in Burnout Paradise.
Old 05-23-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Sorry but not playing one of the best games of the year, some will say of this generation, because of some ads it's one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard.

They are not in your face ads, you are not missing anything from the story if you don't see them. Some will say they make the game more realistic, but I really don't care either way.

Seriously, driving a Ford car, or walking and seeing an ad for a known brand won't affect your game play either way.
Old 05-23-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Preach it.
Old 05-24-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed.

But seriously...the tv ads were goddamn lame.
Old 05-24-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I havent played Alan Wake yet, but in-game ads wouldnt be so bad if developers would do them right. If they would get multiple sponsors it could really help the game to be a little more realistic. The problem is when they only get one company advertising and the entire game is covered with ads for Axe Body Spray.
Old 05-24-10, 04:32 PM

I feel sorry for Alan Wake, releasing the game on the same day as Red Dead Redemption totally destroyed their sales. Really bad timing.
Old 05-24-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zwerchfell
I feel sorry for Alan Wake, releasing the game on the same day as Red Dead Redemption totally destroyed their sales. Really bad timing.
Do u have a link to the source?

Personally, I don't feel sorry. Who in the hell thought it'll be a good idea to release this the same day as Split Second, Prince Of Persia, and Red Dead Redemption? They could have held off for 2 more weeks and had a shot at decent sales. Unless word of mouth carries, this game will probably be a flop sales wise.
Old 05-24-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I dunno, despite the poor timing of release, I don't think it will be a flop.
Old 05-24-10, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Do u have a link to the source?

Personally, I don't feel sorry. Who in the hell thought it'll be a good idea to release this the same day as Split Second, Prince Of Persia, and Red Dead Redemption? They could have held off for 2 more weeks and had a shot at decent sales. Unless word of mouth carries, this game will probably be a flop sales wise.
no link, just my prediction based on my friends list and other things.
Old 05-24-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

As for the 'in-game ads', I'm a big fan of them actually. I love how they are in Burnout Paradise. Also, I hate watching a TV show and they have a Pepsi can, but Pepsi is stickered to say something like Popsie.
Old 05-24-10, 08:40 PM

Well I will probably end up playing the game anyway since it was bought by another member of my household today.
Old 05-24-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by porieux
Well I will probably end up playing the game anyway since it was bought by another member of my household today.
You should not play it out of principle for those ads!
Old 05-25-10, 02:32 AM

I had no idea this game had "ads" I only played for about 4 hours but never noticed one
Old 05-25-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished this up last night. Still processing.
Old 05-25-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished last night, I slept only 5 hours but it was worthy.

I just read the wikipedia page for the game and I'm still not sure if I "understand" the ending. From the wiki page it seems I didn't miss anything from the game.

I'm going to check the spoilers in this thread now.

Oh and after finishing the game I confirm everything I said after playing the first chapter. I give it a solid 9, but those NPCs are like from two generations ago. But I still liked Barry.
Old 05-25-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally put this in last night and couldn't stop playing. Got most of the way through Episode 3 before I went to bed.

I'm loving it, and it's far more engrossing to me than Red Dead has been.
Old 05-25-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've come to this conclusion: This game deserves to be played.

But as a personal preference... Deadly Premonition > Alan Wake.
Old 05-25-10, 03:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Finished chapter one today. Really liking it so far.
Old 05-25-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
But as a personal preference... Deadly Premonition > Alan Wake.
Having played through all of Deadly Premonition and about 1/3 of Alan Wake, that sounds crazy.
Old 05-25-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Saints Row 2 really pissed me off with ads (the only time I even cared about it) why? Because they specifically make you wait to "apply an update to this game" so they can add the advertisement in. It's not too bad as they are not around every corner but the fact that they actually make you DL them is bullshit. With that said.....I still like SR2.

All this good talk about AW has me reconsidering a purchase......I've really heard nothing but great things (and nothing less than that) from a lot of people who have similar tastes in video games as I do.
Old 05-25-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Having played through all of Deadly Premonition and about 1/3 of Alan Wake, that sounds crazy.
Well, Alan Wake is clearly the better "game". But for me, Deadly Premonition was the better overall "experience".
Old 05-25-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Well, Alan Wake is clearly the better "game". But for me, Deadly Premonition was the better overall "experience".
Fair enough. I'll have to finish Alan Wake before I can really weigh in with an opinion.
Old 05-25-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Fair enough. I'll have to finish Alan Wake before I can really weigh in with an opinion.
And really it's probably unfair for me to compare the two. At a glance they might seem similar, but aside from being set in the Pacific Northwest, they are NOTHING alike.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.