Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alan Wake

Just finished two playthroughs in two days - one on Normal difficulty, one on Nightmare. I really liked it a lot and would probably give it an 8 or 9 out of 10. Very atmospheric, and quite unsettling on your first playthrough. I don't think I've ever been as scared to explore for collectibles as I was in this game.

Speaking of collectibles, this game has too many. Two playthroughs and despite a good bit of exploration I still haven't found all the chests, signs, or coffee thermoses, although I've come very close (which makes it that much more frustrating). I did manage to find every manuscript page on my own.

Thought that occurred many times while playing: this guy sure does drop all his stuff a lot. Seriously, I've never played a game where you lose all your equipment as frequently as you do in this one. I found myself saying "hold on to your gun!" whenever the latest vehicle crash/tumble down a cliff was about to happen. He never listened.
Old 05-27-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Just finished two playthroughs in two days - one on Normal difficulty, one on Nightmare.
Get a job, ya bum!
Old 05-27-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!! 2 playthrough in two days!!! Were you wearing Depends?

And yeah, that was frustrating to me too. The worst part is that I was saving batteries, bullets (rifle/shotgun), etc. and then I would lose everything. So in the last episode I just used all my powerful weapons until all the ammo was gone.
Old 05-27-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Am I alone in finding the game to not really be "scary" at all? I think a lot of the scare impact is taken away when the action would go into slow-mo whenever an enemy was coming at you. It was tense, and still had a few moments that surprised me, but I certainly didn't find myself creeped out at any time as I would in any given Silent Hill game.
Old 05-27-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never used my flare gun because I figured I needed to save it for something big. And of course I kept losing it. And of course there was a giant box full of flare guns right in front of the final boss.
Old 05-27-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Get a job, ya bum!
I have one, but this was vacation week.

Total coincidence that vacation week came at the same time as 3 of the biggest game releases of the year.

Red Dead is a little boring and frustrating to me so far, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 didn't arrive until Wednesday, so Alan Wake got all my focus.

Originally Posted by Raul3
I'll admit, there were a couple of times in this game when I was a little worried that something was going to happen to make me pee on myself.

Originally Posted by superfro
Am I alone in finding the game to not really be "scary" at all? I think a lot of the scare impact is taken away when the action would go into slow-mo whenever an enemy was coming at you. It was tense, and still had a few moments that surprised me, but I certainly didn't find myself creeped out at any time as I would in any given Silent Hill game.
The slo-mo made it creepier I think, in that it puts more emphasis on the fact that something's coming after you. Rather than just mobbing you with a group of enemies coming out of nowhere, it's like the game itself is saying "Oh shit! Look behind you!" I found the game more unsettling in a Lovecraftian way than scary in a "boo!" way.
Old 05-27-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I never used my flare gun because I figured I needed to save it for something big. And of course I kept losing it. And of course there was a giant box full of flare guns right in front of the final boss.
I think it was either the Joystiq or Weekend Confirmed guys that I heard it from, but the biggest piece of advice I heard before playing was don't save your stuff as you lose it often. Awesome advice and great for me cause I'm a hoarder. It really helped me though my game.
Old 05-28-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think it was Weekend Confirmed that mentioned that.

I finally started the game last night. Did Episode 1 and loved it. The only thing that bugs me so far is the animation doesn't seem to be up to par. Looks like something we should have seen say, oh, 3 years ago?
Old 05-28-10, 09:26 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by superfro
I've only gotten through episode one, but I would have to agree. The game is not scary in any sense of the word that I have seen thus far. Sure, some great sound effects and atmosphere, but nothing that caused me to feel scared or jump.

I am enjoying the game a great deal and it's well done. The episode structure and the recap between episodes is a neat touch.

I'm playing through on hard right now and will do nightmare again to get the pages that require that difficulty level. I need to go back through level one again as I missed one page.
Old 05-28-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is creeping me out pretty hardcore. The music in particular gets me.

I will admit to being a total horror lightweight though.
Old 05-28-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I got a Condemned vibe from the first level(forest-apple orchard), but not quite as scary.
Old 05-28-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it was Weekend Confirmed that mentioned that.

I finally started the game last night. Did Episode 1 and loved it. The only thing that bugs me so far is the animation doesn't seem to be up to par. Looks like something we should have seen say, oh, 3 years ago?
I think they eventually got to a point where they had to stop tweaking graphics and just move forward gameplay-wise. But as I recall, up until a couple years ago this was supposed to be an open world game...
Old 05-28-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a lot more jump scares in Episode 2 than I did in Episode 1. Seems like that's where they ramp it up.
Old 05-28-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Third playthrough for missed collectibles complete. 1000/1000!
Old 05-29-10, 11:27 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I got a lot more jump scares in Episode 2 than I did in Episode 1. Seems like that's where they ramp it up.
I know episode 2 had me jumping a couple of times.
Old 05-29-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely get scared with videogames, I'm not even scared of the dark. But in this game I was always looking for some light
Old 05-29-10, 05:22 PM

After finishing the first two chapters, here's the one thing so far that actually scared me:

Spoiler:
When you first start out from the cabin and head down the hill, I think it's the first other cabin you come to. There's one of those TVs inside, I believe. After I went in, and swung the camera to look around the room, I saw a shadow figure walk past one of the windows outside the cabin. And then he was gone. Never got attacked, went outside and couldn't find him.

Did everyone else have the same experience? I'm just wondering how in the hell they scripted that just right, since I could have been looking a different way and never would have seen it. But in any case, pretty scary.
Old 05-29-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marginal
After finishing the first two chapters, here's the one thing so far that actually scared me:

Spoiler:
When you first start out from the cabin and head down the hill, I think it's the first other cabin you come to. There's one of those TVs inside, I believe. After I went in, and swung the camera to look around the room, I saw a shadow figure walk past one of the windows outside the cabin. And then he was gone. Never got attacked, went outside and couldn't find him.

Did everyone else have the same experience? I'm just wondering how in the hell they scripted that just right, since I could have been looking a different way and never would have seen it. But in any case, pretty scary.
That happened to me too during my first playthrough. I thought maybe I imagined it because it was so quick, and I didn't see it when I went through the game again. Very creepy.
Old 05-29-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been scared since the first boogeyman showed up...
Old 05-30-10, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm on Chapter 4, and I have to say: Barry is the greatest character in any video game ever.
Old 05-30-10, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That scene scared the hell out of me! To the point where I waited a few seconds before leaving the house for fear of being attacked as soon as I left.
Old 05-30-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

I saw that too, creepy.
Old 05-30-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:

same experience for me. actually made heading further down the path more tense.
Old 05-30-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Wow! did you really went looking for him?
I tried to hide under the bed or table that was there in the room.

Old 05-30-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, the moment being discussed was a great one and really made me aware of how immersed in the game I was. I saw it, immediately ran to the other side of the room and waited a good minute to see if anything else happened before I moved on. It's very rare for me to get so wrapped up in a game that I start behaving in the game how I would in real life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.