Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Aliens vs. Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 10:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Aliens vs. Predator

Do the Aliens not have a night vision mode? They did in the previous 2 games.

Even with that, though, I always found the Aliens were for the more advanced players. They have no ranged attacks (I think a few classes could spit acid, but it wasn't going to take out hordes of enemies or anything), they run along walls and into vents, and require a really different technique than just about any other kind of shooter. If people are having trouble playing as the Alien, I suggest trying out one of the other two species.
Old 02-05-10, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that message at the start of the demo about it being pre-release code is true. For me, the match making on PS3 has been garbage. Otherwise, the few matches i have played were fun.
Old 02-05-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Played the demo this morning around 5am. It took me about 2mins for it to find players for a MP QM. I was the Predator and I think so was everyone else. I couldn't figure out how to shoot it only let me claw at things, camo and jump around. Not overly impressive.
Old 02-05-10, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Played the demo this morning around 5am. It took me about 2mins for it to find players for a MP QM. I was the Predator and I think so was everyone else. I couldn't figure out how to shoot it only let me claw at things, camo and jump around. Not overly impressive.
This was my first experience with this franchise, so i'm no expert, but i think you have to find the shoulder cannon to equip it.
Old 02-05-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, is it a total free-for-all or is it species vs. species (vs. species)?

The lack of instructions sucks btw. Anyone know how to do the old alien face chomp insta-kill?
Old 02-05-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never played the series at all. I've never been a cpu gamer. The lack of tutorial really is lame.
Old 02-05-10, 04:26 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

when the Demo goes live for all members for free, can you still try it out multi-player if you don't have Gold membership?
Old 02-05-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
when the Demo goes live for all members for free, can you still try it out multi-player if you don't have Gold membership?
Negative kemosabe, you can't play online on the Xbox without the Gold membership. Pony up for the gold or hope they release a single player demo (which i tend to prefer as my demos anyway).

I'm going to try again shortly on the PS3 hopefully I can actually find a match.
Old 02-05-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I played a single match earlier and I thought it was fun. Not being a fan of deathmatch in general, it's not the best way to sell me. However, the prospect of a Marine campaign against Aliens is. I can definitely wait for this to hit the clearance bin.
Old 02-05-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Honestly, if they had to go multiplayer only, they should have went with Team Deathmatch. Fighting Aliens as an Alien is always sketchy.
Old 02-05-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude its like $35 a year. Its like going to the store and getting a couple dvds. Even if your only into single player games theres so much you can do on the 360 to justify $35
Old 02-06-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Dude its like $35 a year. Its like going to the store and getting a couple dvds. Even if your only into single player games theres so much you can do on the 360 to justify $35
Agreed, the only time I let my Gold membership expire was when my 360 was acting up and I suspected it was about to die (which it did) and it was out of warranty for everything (including the 3 year RROD) so I bagged it and moved onto PS3 recently. If you have a working 360, Live Gold is WELL worth it.
Old 02-06-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Look at the "Gold" deal this way....it averages to around $3-$4 a month, less than a freaking Mac Happy Meal....I know which one I'd rather have.
Old 02-06-10, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Look at the "Gold" deal this way....it averages to around $3-$4 a month, less than a freaking Mac Happy Meal....I know which one I'd rather have.
i don't eat at McD's ever and really have no viable use for a Gold membership (no real desire for multi-player, no Netflix membership, etc) except the desire to play an occasional early demo.

i don't understand why everyone keeps telling me to get when i ask a Gold related question. if there is something else i am missing that would be useful to me with a Gold, please let me know and i will reconsider, but i just won't use it so doesn't make sense at any cost. though i would like to play more, i play single player games maybe 6-7 hours per week right now.
Old 02-06-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The reason people keep asking is because you ask a steady stream of questions about Gold/Silver. If you want to stay Silver then fine - nobody actually cares - but don't be shocked when MS treats you as a 2nd tier customer. You are.

1. Gold gets you demos a weekish earlier. Deal with it.
2. Multiplayer is Gold only. Again, deal.
3. Every demo that is multiplayer only will therefore be Gold only even if you can download it. Every demo. Shouldn't be a surprise or even necessitate a question since... you know... multiplayer is Gold only.
4. The deals of the week are Gold only. Not fake 24 hour sample Gold. But pay your yearly fee Gold only.

Again, not trying to be obnoxious but you ask about every single thing being available for Silver and the whole setup is very consistent (see above). You asked for free trials of Gold which implies you were interested so hopefully you see why everyone was slightly confused. If you aren't interested in Gold then cool. Play your single player games, ignore the special deals, and don't worry about the demos until it lets you download them.

Personally I'm astounded at how nice people are being.
Old 02-06-10, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
The reason people keep asking is because you ask a steady stream of questions about Gold/Silver. If you want to stay Silver then fine - nobody actually cares - but don't be shocked when MS treats you as a 2nd tier customer. You are.

1. Gold gets you demos a weekish earlier. Deal with it.
2. Multiplayer is Gold only. Again, deal.
3. Every demo that is multiplayer only will therefore be Gold only even if you can download it. Every demo. Shouldn't be a surprise or even necessitate a question since... you know... multiplayer is Gold only.
4. The deals of the week are Gold only. Not fake 24 hour sample Gold. But pay your yearly fee Gold only.

Again, not trying to be obnoxious but you ask about every single thing being available for Silver and the whole setup is very consistent (see above). You asked for free trials of Gold which implies you were interested so hopefully you see why everyone was slightly confused. If you aren't interested in Gold then cool. Play your single player games, ignore the special deals, and don't worry about the demos until it lets you download them.

Personally I'm astounded at how nice people are being.
no, i really don't ask since Dec. (when i got my system) and i haven't repeated ?'s.
Old 02-06-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

back on topic, still haven't been able to find a game and actually play this on the ps3. I tried a few more times for about twenty minutes each earlier today, nada. Annoying to say the least.
Old 02-06-10, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
back on topic, still haven't been able to find a game and actually play this on the ps3. I tried a few more times for about twenty minutes each earlier today, nada. Annoying to say the least.
Yeah, the find a quick match option is totally broken on PS3 right now. People seem to be having better luck with the invite friends option.
Old 02-06-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no, i really don't ask since Dec. (when i got my system) and i haven't repeated ?'s.
Back on the more interesting topic. You also get to to stream music and they add apps all the time. You'd be surprised at what you are missing out on. Many of your single player games might have great features you can only access via gold.
Old 02-06-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So ... the Game Informer review of this (5.75/10) doesn't sound good. I am still holding out hope, though, and will still hold onto my preorder.
Old 02-06-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't enjoy the demo at all. Everything was way too dark and the classes felt unbalanced. Hopefully the single player is better.
Old 02-07-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Seriously Video Gaming industry and Gamers....LET'S EVOLVE BEYOND 1ST PERSON. This game screams 3rd person and 3rd person would've been very cool in multiplayer.

I played a match today as a Predator and got my ass handed to me. I did manage to get about 4 melee kills against the Aliens...so there's that. I can seen hardcore AVP fans making multiplayer pretty annoying for those us who don't play all day every day.
Old 02-07-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Seriously Video Gaming industry and Gamers....LET'S EVOLVE BEYOND 1ST PERSON. This game screams 3rd person and 3rd person would've been very cool in multiplayer.

I played a match today as a Predator and got my ass handed to me. I did manage to get about 4 melee kills against the Aliens...so there's that. I can seen hardcore AVP fans making multiplayer pretty annoying for those us who don't play all day every day.
Ugh. No way. I, for the most part, despise 3rd person shooters.
Old 02-07-10, 01:01 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
So ... the Game Informer review of this (5.75/10) doesn't sound good. I am still holding out hope, though, and will still hold onto my preorder.

no way....5.75? what did they say was wrong with it?
Old 02-08-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Demo is also up on PSN as well.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see this only news to me.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-08-10 at 10:59 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.