Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Aliens vs. Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Aliens vs. Predator

Originally Posted by Yavin
So ... the Game Informer review of this (5.75/10) doesn't sound good. I am still holding out hope, though, and will still hold onto my preorder.

I got my mag yesterday and saw the score....I just shook my head. I for one have been really excited and posting all the trailers which to say did look very good. And then get hit by all these low score reviewsis to say the least very dissapointing.

It was bad enough with a low score with "Army of Two:40th Day" which I was going to get but didn't (it to had good looking trailers) but this. I did play the AVP2 on the pc and while MP was good the single player was just outright a blast also. Sorry guys for building this up. I'll wait for til this hits the discount bin also....crap.
Old 02-11-10, 04:50 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I got my mag yesterday and saw the score....I just shook my head. I for one have been really excited and posting all the trailers which to say did look very good. And then get hit by all these low score reviewsis to say the least very dissapointing.

It was bad enough with a low score with "Army of Two:40th Day" which I was going to get but didn't (it to had good looking trailers) but this. I did play the AVP2 on the pc and while MP was good the single player was just outright a blast also. Sorry guys for building this up. I'll wait for til this hits the discount bin also....crap.
I usually don't let review scores change my mind on games I really want. If it is a game I am on the fence about, I will use the score. Still, even if it is a game I want, a score of a 5 is going to make me pause. That is really a low score, and indicates a lot of problems.
Old 02-11-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

IGN UK gave it an 8.5, so I'd say don't jump to any conclusions on the overall quality.
Old 02-13-10, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you actually read that review?

I'm a big GI fan, but that whole review was garbage. They're biggest complaint was that the Predator relied on stealth, and other such stupidity. They also pretty much ignored the multiplayer altogether.

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but word is they (the reviewer) didn't even play the game, and were basically writing a review of a verbal review given to them by somebody else.

I can't believe that article even got into the mag. Every other review I've seen is 8-8.5
Old 02-13-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh I read it but it strikes me that that's just it, almost no reviews for a game that's been out for almost a week. The few games I'm aware of that reviews somehow were postpone for awhile were....Damnation, Terminator, Turok 2 and most recently even Army of Two:40th day and we saew what those reviews were. Not to many that get a review a week later that just glows.

On the other hand look at titles from COD, Mass effect, Bioshock and others and those reviews made it out within 24Hrs. As to the one in Gameinformer I'm not putting my choice into just one publication or site. I take in account of several and actual hands on. Frankly I hope the game gets great reviews since I'm a fan of any AVP stuff and still have the pc game AVP2 which was great. At the same time I'm not going to run down and grab a copy just to play it without getting a good idea of all gameplay in both MP and single player.

Last edited by K&AJones; 02-13-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Played the demo today on my PS3. Seems pretty simple and fun. Well as long as you don't choose to be a Marine! LOL. Unless I was going something wrong (which I probably was) Seems like the motion tracker really doesn't help much against Predators. I'll probably buy it though.
Old 02-14-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Played the demo today on my PS3. Seems pretty simple and fun. Well as long as you don't choose to be a Marine! LOL. Unless I was going something wrong (which I probably was) Seems like the motion tracker really doesn't help much against Predators. I'll probably buy it though.
It's funny you say that I actually find I'm best at being the marine and am worst at the Predator. If you grab the smartgun or shotgun (using the alternate fire) you can really do some damage. Even the standard pulse rifle is pretty strong.
Old 02-14-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
It's funny you say that I actually find I'm best at being the marine and am worst at the Predator. If you grab the smartgun or shotgun (using the alternate fire) you can really do some damage. Even the standard pulse rifle is pretty strong.
Like I said I was probably doing something wrong. By the time I seen the Preds I was frikken dead. I just suck at it I guess. LOL
Old 02-15-10, 01:53 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gamespot scores AVP
.5.5 ouch!!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...r-video-review
Old 02-15-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.5.5 isn't even a real number!
Old 02-15-10, 03:58 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by pinata242
.5.5 isn't even a real number!

Old 02-15-10, 04:25 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
Gamespot scores AVP
.5.5 ouch!!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...r-video-review

as I expected...conspiracy theorist jumped to the conclusion that the other review was a hatchet job, in some attempt to screw sega, and even posted articles attacking the gamer informer review, quoting smaller magazine and websites that gave positive reviews....maybe this "person" wanting to screw Sega also bought off gamespot?
Old 02-15-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yikes will definitely need to rent this with all of the polarizing reviews (IGN UK and OXM good scores, the others crap)
Old 02-15-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I played the demo again as the Marine last night. I couldn't figure out how to use the flares but even not caring about that i'm not digging it all that much.
Old 02-15-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think there are flares or the image intensifier in this one, just the flashlight and motion tracker.
Old 02-16-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Teamxbox has their review up.......6.0...I'm not saying anything but yes I did read it.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...s-Predator/p1/

Gamespot review up also.......5.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...le/review.html

Last edited by K&AJones; 02-16-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a shame.
Old 02-16-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Teamxbox has their review up.......6.0...I'm not saying anything but yes I did read it.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...s-Predator/p1/

while i will reserve final judgement after i play the game, arthur gies is a bit of a pretentious douchebag, and i take all his reviews (to include commentary on rebel fm) with one, if not two, grains of salt.
Old 02-16-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Demo came in at #3 on last week's Live activity list: http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/...f-feb-8th.aspx

Only behind MW2 and Halo 3.
Old 02-16-10, 09:34 PM

I decided to still go ahead an pick it up today. The multiplayer is pretty fun, tons of bugs/glitches though. For single player, I have only run through the alien campaign and finished it in 45min! Seems really short to me, but that's ok since it was boring as hell. Overall, the 5/10 reviews are a bit low...maybe a 6.5/10?
Old 02-16-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IGN US gave the PS3 version a 7.0
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1069717p1.html
Old 02-17-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ive gotten to play it a bit. As was said in the other reviews the flashlight on the marine is useless, i think the marines would have done better to have invested in some 10 dollar maglights and some duct tape to attach them to the guns. That would have been a better light source. Also it seems that the aliens can 2 shot you, and if you get hit by a facehugger, no matter what your life is you go down to your last bar. It is not all that fun to be honest. I feel I wasted 55 bucks as I probably won't be playing this much

Save your money guys, it will be in the 20 dollar bin in a few months.
Old 02-17-10, 08:00 AM
wlj

sorry about that glassdragon, i had high hopes for this game. i am very happy i didn't waste my money on it.
Old 02-17-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only do I have low expectations, but I have a feeling I'll be forced into a corner of having to defend the fact that I think it's "not good" amongst friends and acquaintances. I look forward to checking it out tonight to see if I'm right.
Old 02-17-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
Not only do I have low expectations, but I have a feeling I'll be forced into a corner of having to defend the fact that I think it's "not good" amongst friends and acquaintances. I look forward to checking it out tonight to see if I'm right.
Don't need to defend it to me. Honestly it is pretty much crap.and anyone who says otherwise probably didn't get a chance to play it much before saying that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.