Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Aliens vs. Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Aliens vs. Predator

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Ive gotten to play it a bit. As was said in the other reviews the flashlight on the marine is useless, i think the marines would have done better to have invested in some 10 dollar maglights and some duct tape to attach them to the guns. That would have been a better light source. Also it seems that the aliens can 2 shot you, and if you get hit by a facehugger, no matter what your life is you go down to your last bar. It is not all that fun to be honest. I feel I wasted 55 bucks as I probably won't be playing this much
The original game was incredibly hard - probably the hardest game I've ever played. The marine levels were really dark, aliens would kill you before you knew where they were coming from, and you would die instantly if a facehugger got you. All this with no saves allowed! (Although this was later patched to provide a very limited number of saves that you desperately tried not to use up.) Not trying to defend the game, but I wonder - if the original was released today, would it fare just as well with reviewers?
Old 02-17-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
The original game was incredibly hard - probably the hardest game I've ever played. The marine levels were really dark, aliens would kill you before you knew where they were coming from, and you would die instantly if a facehugger got you. All this with no saves allowed! (Although this was later patched to provide a very limited number of saves that you desperately tried not to use up.) Not trying to defend the game, but I wonder - if the original was released today, would it fare just as well with reviewers?
The original was very good, especially the MP,. This one is not.
Old 02-18-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spent half an hour with this tonight. It was fun to play in the Aliens and Predator universes, but aside from that I found it somewhat frustrating because of the darkness of the levels (playing the marine campaign). The graphics in the cutscenes were pretty nice, but the actual in-game graphics not so much, especially the way aliens melt away and vanish (in a 2010 game!) when they are killed. Going clubbing with the aliens was ... weird ... Matrix Revolutions rave scene weird.

On a sidenote, has anyone tried to redeem their exclusive Gamestop multiplayer skins code? Tried mine this evening and it came up with an error saying the code was invalid or expired. I'm wondering if it's just not active yet.
Old 02-18-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We had an awesome multiplayer round last night, the game is growing on me. The 3 of us, all marines, stuck together in a defendable area of the map and just raped anything that came our way. I think we won with 50, and the alien team had 20 something kills. I even got my 10 kills w/o dying achievement. The game is all about staying together as a group, 1 on 1 and you will die.

Originally Posted by Yavin
On a sidenote, has anyone tried to redeem their exclusive Gamestop multiplayer skins code? Tried mine this evening and it came up with an error saying the code was invalid or expired. I'm wondering if it's just not active yet.

The code worked fine even before the game came out, yours must be bad
Old 02-18-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played the demo a bit more last night and damn, I'm finding it hard to resist going out and picking this up. Even though it's got plenty of flaws, it's just so damn fun to me as I love the Aliens universe. I've played tons of Aliens games (Doom conversion, Alien Trilogy, original PC AvP) and this one seems pretty good to me but maybe it's because I'm such a sucker for the franchise.
Old 02-18-10, 04:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
I've played tons of Aliens games (Doom conversion, Alien Trilogy, original PC AvP) and this one seems pretty good to me but maybe it's because I'm such a sucker for the franchise.
Thanks for that reminder, loved that conversion.
Old 02-19-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks for that reminder, loved that conversion.
I remember downloading it from AOL and watching the movie as it was downloading. In retrospect it had some issues (especially with Doom 2 it didn't quite work right) but at the time it was awesome.
Old 02-22-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rented it this weekend. Beat all 3 SP campaigns in probably 6-8 hours total. Not great not bad. Multiplayer is ok but nothing fantastic. Give it a rental or buy it cheap but I'm definitely glad I didn't blow 60 bucks on it.
Old 03-01-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know how to use the Predator's laser canon in the XBOX demo? Or anything online that shows what the controls are? I find them terribly confusing.
Old 03-01-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to pick up the canon while walking through the level
Old 03-02-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by filmerp
Anyone know how to use the Predator's laser canon in the XBOX demo? Or anything online that shows what the controls are? I find them terribly confusing.
Yes you have to find it in the level (the item looks sort of like this when you pick it up /\) then hit I think up to select it and whatever button on the xbox fires weapons (it's R2 on the PS3 so not sure how that translates probably RT). Hold it to charge it and lock on when in the appropriate vision mode.
Old 03-22-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it still as bad as the reviews average has indicated? Has it grown on anyone yet? I remembered being frustrated in the MP demo and didn't give it a chance. I loved AvP2 on the PC. Will I be disappointed?
Old 03-22-10, 03:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

did they take the demo down on XBL? i can't seem to find it.

**edit** i found it and went to dl it and got:
Sorry, This offer is not valid in your region, or it has expired.

why would that be?
Old 03-22-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've enjoyed playing as the predator but not so much as the Marine. I've yet to play as the alien but I must say, my interest is waning...
Old 06-09-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought about getting this since it's 40 on Amazon....any more thoughts on this?
Old 06-09-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried playing through it recently and actively hated it. Just thinking about it right now makes me angry.
Old 06-09-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I tried playing through it recently and actively hated it. Just thinking about it right now makes me angry.

The sign of a truly bad game.
Old 06-09-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The marine campaign was a joke. Your name is "Rookie" for god's sake. You've got the accurate "Aliens" motion sensor but it's useless because you rarely see anything until it's already attacking you. There are aliens and facehuggers EVERYWHERE. There's no sense of danger or tension like the films because you're constantly being swarmed. The atmosphere isn't right either. I want to hear firefights over the audio system of other squadmates in danger and under attack. And the controls constantly battle you. You're either holding LT and hitting RB to fire or vice versa. That's a dumbass control scheme.

I started the Alien campaign but again hated the controls. Gave up on the Predator campaign after it became clear that even being cloaked the marines could still see you no matter where you were.

Besides, it calls back those terrible AvP movies which also makes me mad just knowing they exist.
Old 06-09-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shirely, there must have been something you liked.
Old 06-10-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by pinata242
Shirely, there must have been something you liked.
Pressing the off button.
Old 06-10-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Chuck. STAY AWAY from this game! Especially if you are any sort of fan of the good stand alone Alien and Predator movies before they shit on the franchise with those horrible AvP movies. Or if you are a fan of the absolutely wonderful AvP2 game for the PC. This current game's campaign and multiplayer experience are very lackluster in comparison and you WILL be disappointed. Read some of my comments earlier in this thread for more details.
Old 08-08-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

So which is worst this or Colonial Marines Played this for the first time... I enjoyed the Predator campaign the most, same complaints on game as stated by others. Played it on Normal, has anyone completed the whole game on Nightmare?... Now is time to replay CM (already had played it on co-op with my nephew) to get some remaining single player achievements.
Old 08-09-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AVP was bad, but CM was worse. Why the fuck can't they make a good Alien or Predator game? They should pretty much just toss the Predator in the last Tomb Raider setting and ship it. That would be an awesome game.
Old 08-09-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
AVP was bad, but CM was worse. Why the fuck can't they make a good Alien or Predator game? They should pretty much just toss the Predator in the last Tomb Raider setting and ship it. That would be an awesome game.
Yeah it's a pain going back to CM to get missing audio logs and tags.
Old 08-29-22, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alien(s) 3 game replay in progress

Replayed it (Backward compatible) on Hard last 2-3 days. Once you get the idea on what to do to stop from dying a lot for each campaign, I was able to complete and I enjoyed the game more than when I first played it 9 years ago.

Marine campaign it's about staying far from the Aliens, so their acid won't instant kill you. Predator campaign, it's basically cloaking and running to the next area without fighting unless it's mandatory. And the Alien campaign is all about stealth. There was no way I was going to play it on Nightmare difficulty without any checkpoints, fuck that.

Colonial Marines is up next