Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of duty WOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
SERIOUSLY. J
COD5 is awesome so far--the levels all free pretty epic, and I love the way the bad guys (Japan) just pop up out of nowhere sometimes ("AMBUSH!") and charge at you w/bayonets. Great surround sound, no long cut scenes (so far), and was that Jack Bauer I heard??
Banzai!!!!!
Old 11-12-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
I'm surprised at how great the reviews are, since everyone was all doom and gloom about it not being Infinity Ward and back in WW2.
Old 11-12-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts
I might pick this up on Friday just so I can do multiplayer every now and then.
Old 11-12-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts
Played some co-op campaign and it was a blast!
Old 11-12-08, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm surprised at how great the reviews are, since everyone was all doom and gloom about it not being Infinity Ward and back in WW2.
Yep, surprised me as well. I never played COD3, but kind of took everybody's word that it was crap and not to expect much out of COD5.

Best Buy PM'ed the TRU deal for me, and even though they issued a GC instead of just ringing it up at $45, the guy was kind enough to (somehow) use the GC on the game.
Old 11-12-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game is friggin amazing... I've been playing the 4 player co-op campaign and its sick.

You don't even get a chance to catch your breath. So intense.

I've been splitting my time between this, Fallout 3 and Deadspace.

It's a great time to be a gamer!
Old 11-12-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Goddammit.... GODDAMMIT!!

I get home with my copy that I bought this morning at BB, and not only is the disc off it's hub, but it's scratched to shit and won't play (I get an error message).

I take it back to BB and they're fucking sold out. And to piss me off further, they say that they can only give me a replacement raincheck instead of a refund - but I was so pissed and gave them shit about it being their fault they're sold out, that they ended up giving me a refund anyway. I was so pissed (I'm still fuming) that I didn't bother stopping at another store to pick it up. Maybe tomorrow...
ALWAYS shake the case. EVERY time.
Old 11-12-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
I swear, I did shake but didn't notice a rattle - I think shaking it is what scratched it!

Whatever - I got another copy today and played for a bit - great game, basically CoD4 WWII edition, but that's a good thing.

The only thing is that I forgot how sick and tired I was of the WWII guns and weaponry - that's my main hurdle in this game, it's shitty ass guns.
Old 11-12-08, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Played the co-op campaign for about an hour tonight. Good stuff. I like that you can complete/work towards challenges in the campaign, and competing against the people you're playing it with for highest scores if fun.

I hear you on the guns of WWII though. There have just been so many WWII shooters that we've all seen the same things a ton, but to keep it accurate they can't really pull new guns out of nowhere. Definitely a mild complaint though.
Old 11-12-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts
My step-dad says this is better than CoD 4.
Old 11-13-08, 05:03 AM

Received 543 Likes on 387 Posts
I've only played for a few hours, but I'm loving this game. It feels like a mix of COD2 and COD4.

Here's some video reviews:

<embed id="mymovie" width="432" height="362" flashvars="playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=4.3&flavor=EmbeddedPlayerVersion&skin=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/skins/gamespot.png&paramsURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6201018%26mode%3Demb edded%26width%3D432%26height%3D362%2F" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/proteus2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14222038&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/928/928966/cod5_vidreview_111008_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all%"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360'></embed>
Old 11-13-08, 07:11 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 413 Likes on 258 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vSQdkcSF0

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0vSQdkcSF0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0vSQdkcSF0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nazi Zombies!
Old 11-13-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I picked this up the other day, installed it and played it for about 5 mins. It seemed pretty good. The thing is that i have been spoiled with the sheer number of games to get through recently. Its just been game after game. Mercenaries 2, Farcry 2, Fallout 3, Lego Batman, Red Alert 3...its been hard to try and get through them. Then the next couple of weeks brings Left for Dead and GTA4. I am sure that this game will be good...but to beat COD4 will take some doing. Reading everyones comments it makes me feel good knowing that it will be enjoyable when i get round to it.
Old 11-13-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jumped right into Multiplayer and it was awesome. Not big fan of the tanks b/c they respawn and are a bitch to kill as infantry, even with the proper bazooka. I think if they limited the level to two tanks (no respawn) and actually allowed the anti-tank missile to do the job it would be better. I like returning to WWII (mainly b/c I never did a WWII multiplayer before) and also the fact that someone won't kill you with one random shot to your foot. At first I was like meh to the dogs but they've actually grown on me b/c if you hole up or are expecting them they are pretty easy to kill. I like most of the maps but the one on the beach near the ocean and cliffs are my favorites right now. Not a fan of Asylum and roundhouse.
Old 11-13-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have taken more of a liking to WAW than I thought I would. I hated COD1/2/3 cause generally i dislike WW games, but this one feels more like a Mod for COD4 than anything else, and i am digging most of the multiplayer maps. I love Asylum. So far so good, still like COD4 better (Love the modern weapons), but this isnt bad.

Did they even have silenced weapons back in WW II?
Old 11-13-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zombie nazi's... Badass
Old 11-13-08, 11:18 AM

How many MP maps are there? Seems like I have played a good amount and still have new ones pop up now and them. Still have not played on Roundhouse (since the beta), got Asylum after 3 hours of playing and forgot the name of one other.

Also, some of these maps seem HUGE. Odd not even seeing an enemy for the first few minutes. Guess that may have something to do with not really knowing the maps and where people generally head.

Anyone else having trouble linking their game up to the callofduty.com stats page? I entered the code from my game and says it can't find it for my username.

Jamie
Old 11-13-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most would agree the maps in COD 5 are superior to COD 4.
Old 11-13-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally Posted by thelwig14
I think most would agree the maps in COD 5 are superior to COD 4.
I wouldn't say "superior", but they are more expansive. I will have to do some private walk thrus to get more familiar with the maps.
Old 11-13-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Yep, camper heaven for a lot of them.
Old 11-13-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sold after seeing this, I'm getting this.

Old 11-13-08, 11:38 PM

I need some help at the start of the game, about second stage when you go through the bunker, go up the stairs to kill the two guys. Well you need to call in rocket support to shoot down two tanks. The first one is surrounded by enemies, that one was easy to shoot down but there is another one to the right of it, under a tree. I have called rocket support about 10 times but it keeps missing the target, where do i need to put the rocket support? I have tried on the tank, under the tank, on the tree but nothing.

Does anyone have a screen shot maybe?

Edit: Whoopsie, i was calling rocket support on my own tank, the 2nd tank was on its own and not as big as the first one, it actually looked like a car. I feel so stupid right now and with good reason, lol.

Last edited by JHBulls; 11-13-08 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 02:01 AM

Received 543 Likes on 387 Posts
Here's the X-Play review:

<object width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/34901" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/34901" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="418" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>
Old 11-14-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I were to give Call of duty 4 a 10/10, I would give World at war an 8/10

Pros
- Pack of dogs: I like this much better than the helicopter. At least you could use some skill to avoid being killed. Plus you get 3 points for killing them

- music/sounds: The music and sounds are much more realistic in this than in cod 4

Cons
- The maps: The maps are cool, but they're all WAY too similar. I thought the different settings in cod4 were great and these new maps just mesh together too much.

- Weapons: The weapons aren't as fun as cod4. Im not a fan of the black dot (equivelent to the red dot scope in cod4) at all, and there's not as good a variety of different guns.

Grenades - I don't know what it is, but the grenades seem weird in this game. Not as fun to throw

All in all I'm really enjoying the game so far. The single player campaign is great and the multiplayer can keep up with cod 4.
Old 11-14-08, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by firteen88
- Weapons: The weapons aren't as fun as cod4. Im not a fan of the black dot (equivelent to the red dot scope in cod4) at all, and there's not as good a variety of different guns.
I agree the weapons aren't as fun as COD4, but there's really nothing they can do about it, IMO. Firearm optics were almost an afterthought during WWII. They didn't have anything (for shorter range weapons) that approached the ease of use and precision of today's red dot and ACOG optics.

Played co-op campaign another hour or two last night. We're only playing on the 2nd easiest difficulty (regular?), and with 2 or 3 people playing, it's sort of tough at times...but a blast.

I like the death cards, kind of a cool way to add variety to the game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.