Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone looking to pick up R&C for PS3 might want to check out Wal-Mart. Mine had them marked down to $29.87. I got one, but they had about 5 more. They also had ones for under $20 like Timeshift, The Darkness, and a couple others that I can't remember.
Old 06-23-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noonan4224
Ocelot - Where did you pick up your hdd for that price? That's a good deal.
Looks like ebay with that 35% off thingy.
Old 06-23-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
What option are you talking about? I put the new drive in, and it just asked me to format it when booting up the PS3. I don't remember seeing anything about allocating space.

As for the space used, remember that the actual space is 320 billion bytes, which is different from how computers (and the PS3) report the space, so 298GB sounds about right. In addition, the PS3 reserves about 12% for its own use.
You can still see the SPACE ALLOCATION option... Just go to the System tab and locate the Format hdd option (don't do it though). It basically gives you the choice to allocate 10gb for the PS3 and the rest for something else. It's not fancy as those Partition Magic kind of software.

Thanks for the clarification of 298gb, as long as the space is there, it's all good.
Old 06-23-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Ocelot - Where did you pick up your hdd for that price? That's a good deal.
As L&O pointed out, yes, the 35% Live thingy...

I hate to delete stuffs, so the 320gb hdd gonna last me for a while. Now, organizing your media files on the PS3 is a major pain in the ass. For photos, if you sort by album, you're all set (it's the folder you copied from). For music, sigh, pain in the ass! Sorting on anything will not give me satisfaction... For classical musics, forget about it, they go under Pops (maybe the mp3 description is wrong, but who cares, too much work to fix them all). All i want is to sort them in the folders i copied from the external hdd (like the photos). Videos seem to follow the same sorting mechanism as photos.
Old 06-23-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenage
How in the world did you pull that off? Is the gunmetal color worth the price?
I didn't pull anything off... I didn't ask for two gunmetal PS3s, i was surprised by the packages myself. At first i thought the game and the PS3 are in different boxes, but that doesn't make sense, b/c the game box is too big to be a game box (not to mention two identical sized box). When i opened both, behold, two PS3s... And i was wrong, the LE game is packed with the PS3, not a separate box. Immediately, checked invoice and CC charge, nope, only one charge... Checked Konami order page, nope, only one ordered and shipped. Checked my e-mails, nope, only one tracking # was provided.

I can ask Konami to take it back, but i'm not paying extra shipping fee (i opened the box, remember, i have no idea that was a second PS3 until i opened it). I can contact Konami, but why bother? Waste my opportunity cost? No way... If they track the mistake back to the shipping department and decided to take it back, sure, contact me and pay the return shipping (schedule a pick up too, i'm not gonna waste gas and time).

As for worth the price of $600? Hell no! It's a freaking backward console, no BC, no memory card slots (card readers don't work well over USB, not the same as the 60gb's build-in memory card slots, i tried last night).

If it's a gunmetal 80gb, then yeah, worth it... not b/c a bigger hdd, but at least most PS2 BCs and memory card slots.

Overall, the LE game inside kinda makes up the price a bit. But you can get that from GS for $90 (tax). So, yeah, the other PS3 bundles are still better. Especially those of you got it with the $100 gc back and as well as the 35% eBay Live thingy.

Now, price aside, the gunmetal is actually very luxurious looking console... It has this slick feeling to it. No more finger prints definitely! The matching gunmetal DS3 is awesome too. Of course, it's not really metal or textured coating like i initially imaged it would be, but i'm not complaining...
Old 06-23-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS3fanboy is reporting a GTA4 patch has finally been made available to address the freezing issue that seems to be occuring.
Old 06-24-08, 11:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

X-Play reported that the patch is available, as well. It's out for both the PS3 and 360.
Old 06-26-08, 10:43 AM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-movie-service

Sony confirms PlayStation 3 to get download movie service

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has confirmed that a new download service offering movies on the PlayStation 3 is set to launch shortly. The service will go live in the US this summer, according to Kaz Hirai, with a roll-out in Japan and Europe at later dates. Official timings are expected next month. The service will be a direct rival to Microsoft's service over Xbox Live, which currently boasts movies and TV content from a host of partners including MTV, Warner Bros., Paramount and National Geographic, amongst others.

The company said that the PlayStation 3 will be the first Sony product to benefit from video services, with plans to expand video to other products by 2010. As a further sign of Sony's commitment to networked products, this November Sony Pictures Entertainment will offer Will Smith movie Hancock to all internet connected Bravia LCD TVs in the US before it's available on DVD.
Chris
Old 06-26-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Hmm... I wonder : purchase or rental?
Old 06-26-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to this photo, rental:

Old 06-26-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If that "HD" in the picture actually means what I think it means: Sony had better be working overtime on fixing their download speeds. No freakin' way am I going to wait as long I expect it'll take to download an HD movie based on their current speeds.
Old 06-26-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
If that "HD" in the picture actually means what I think it means: Sony had better be working overtime on fixing their download speeds. No freakin' way am I going to wait as long I expect it'll take to download an HD movie based on their current speeds.
No shit.
Old 06-26-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
HD Downloads on PSN?
Old 06-26-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
... so we're going there?

In that case... I could drive to Blockbuster, rent the same movie, watch it, forget to return it for a few days and still have it returned by the time a PSN equivalent would take to download.
Old 06-26-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been experiencing this the last 2 weeks as I received a PS3 as a an early bday present for Father's Day. Then you have to install them too... Oh well, at least now you can download them in the background.
Old 06-26-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
I've been experiencing this the last 2 weeks as I received a PS3 as a an early bday present for Father's Day. Then you have to install them too... Oh well, at least now you can download them in the background.
However, you can only download them in the background if you aren't
1. Playing a PS/PS2 game
2. Playing a PS3 game
3. Watching a DVD
4. Watching a Blu Ray

Which are, I would guess, the four major functions of the PS3. It doesn't even have a low-power download option like the 360, where you can just leave it off overnight, it'll download what's in your queue and shut itself off after it's done.
Old 06-26-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, but PSN is free and therefore better. I, and I know I'm not alone, will gladly wait instead of shelling out $$. After all, my time is, literally, priceless so in the end it is I who gets the last laugh.

The PS3 needs to implement Bit Torrent technology for distributing this stuff, obviously.
Old 06-26-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yeah, but PSN is free and therefore better. I, and I know I'm not alone, will gladly wait instead of shelling out $$. After all, my time is, literally, priceless so in the end it is I who gets the last laugh.

The PS3 needs to implement Bit Torrent technology for distributing this stuff, obviously.
That's how Metal Gear Online Beta was distributed... though it still took forever, required multiple downloads, and then afterwards required like two separate logins, so I never bothered with it. I'll take Xbox Live any day.

i don't know if you were trying to do your best Ocelot impression there, but if you're being serious, I don't get it... you'll wait instead of shelling out money, but your time is priceless? Doesn't that work against your argument?
Old 06-26-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it was a bad impression. The first stuffs, at least. The BT bit was serious, and I didn't know that's how the MGS4 Beta was distributed.
Old 06-26-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yes, it was a bad impression. The first stuffs, at least. The BT bit was serious, and I didn't know that's how the MGS4 Beta was distributed.
Actually, it was distributed on a disc, but the updates (two of them) were available via torrent from the PS3 directly. It actually worked ok, but you were stuck on that screen while downloading (it wouldn't background download). My biggest complaint was the multiple sign on thing... I'd rather pay a little bit for a more unified, single sign on experience.
Old 06-26-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
1. Playing a PS/PS2 game
2. Playing a PS3 game
3. Watching a DVD
4. Watching a Blu Ray

Which are, I would guess, the four major functions of the PS3. It doesn't even have a low-power download option like the 360, where you can just leave it off overnight, it'll download what's in your queue and shut itself off after it's done.
Ahh, I hadn't learned all of the limitations yet. Thanks for enlightening me. Last night I was playing around w/ the Remote Play feature. Which only seemed to work about 1/3rd of the time. Otherwise I would get a connection error. I couldn't even use the connect via private network even though it should work.
Old 06-26-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$5.99 for a rental? I could get the DVD for less than that!
Old 06-26-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I fucking hope I don't have to install my HD movie! As that will just as long as the already horrendously slow download.
Old 06-26-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
1. Playing a PS/PS2 game
2. Playing a PS3 game
3. Watching a DVD
4. Watching a Blu Ray

You can download while playing a game as long as you're not playing it online. I regularly play Super Stardust while I wait for downloads to complete.
Old 06-26-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
You can download while playing a game as long as you're not playing it online. I regularly play Super Stardust while I wait for downloads to complete.
You can't if it's a disc-based game, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.