Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaka2K6
SD picture will de dead in 2009, dvd is dying alot faster then vhs.
and Blu-ray is the fastest growing media format in history.

in a HD era like now Blu-ray is the only step, SD dvd looks and sounds like what black and white did back in the day when color picture was introduced.
While I might agree with your general overall point (I think), I disagree with all your specific points.

- SD will not be dead by '09
- dvd is not dying faster than vhs (it still sells exponentially more than B-r)
- B-r is growing fast, but not the fastest in history - dvd had a faster growth
- B-r players are not the only step, since players are backwards compatible and most consumers are fine with 480p (especially upscaled)
- comparing color vs. B&W to 480 vs 1080 lines of resolution is a poor analogy
Old 06-27-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Yeah, but other than those things, your points were completely on the mark and accurate. Well said, Shaka.
Old 06-29-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in Alaska and found the PS3 80GB with MGS4 for $500. There is NO state tax and will get it at that flat price. Its at the only gamestop in town for miles.

Any reason I shouldnt go for this? Tons of used games available as well. I may stock up before going home.
Old 06-30-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3fanboy confirms the 2.40 firmware will be available this Wednesday 07/02.
Old 06-30-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet! I wonder if any already released games wil have a patch to include trophies? I would replay a couple to get some.
Old 06-30-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XavierMike
Sweet! I wonder if any already released games wil have a patch to include trophies? I would replay a couple to get some.
IGN only mentioned this. "BUZZ! Quiz TV, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm Pacific Rift, NBA 09, PAIN, PixelJunk Eden, Resistance 2, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation and Warhawk are all in line to receive the trophy treatment, with last year's Super Stardust HD also set to include in the feature."

I don't care a ton about this (I've had zero interest in the Steam ones), but people do see this stuff when they look at your card so I wouldn't mind getting credit for all the stuff I have done in Burnout Paradise and GTA IV this year. I doubt I have done enough in Super Stardust to get a single trophy. Have to play that one more.
Old 06-30-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of us without a 360: what's so great about trophies?

I'm a single-player only type of guy, I've never played online. I'm sure that has plenty to do with my ignorance.
Old 06-30-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It's just a bragging rights thing. If you've ever been into high scores, then trophies & achievements are right up your alley. If you've never cared, then more than likely you won't now.

What's cool about Achievements is that a lot of companies have gotten creative with them to extend play time to their game outside the campaign experience. Dead Rising is a good example. It's a 6 hour game that probably requires at least 6-8 play-throughs to get all the achievements. In some cases, like GH they push you to become a better player. You normally may have given up at a certain point, but knowing you get that little [worthless] reward helps push you further than you might have originally thought.
Old 06-30-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
For those of us without a 360: what's so great about trophies?

I'm a single-player only type of guy, I've never played online. I'm sure that has plenty to do with my ignorance.
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=258 sums it up pretty well (middle panels, NSFW.. sort of).

Last edited by RichC2; 06-30-08 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
PS3fanboy confirms the 2.40 firmware will be available this Wednesday 07/02.
What exactly does 2.40 add?
Old 06-30-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JackBurton
What exactly does 2.40 add?
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/30/...firmware-2-40/
Old 06-30-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/41/

Video walkthrough of the trophy system. The other video talks about in game xmb.
Old 06-30-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks The Bus. Since I purchased a PS3 about a month ago, I've been pleasantly surprised with the consistant firmware updates bringing new features.
Old 06-30-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Thanks The Bus. Since I purchased a PS3 about a month ago, I've been pleasantly surprised with the consistent firmware updates bringing new features brining things they promised a long long time ago.
Fixed.
Old 06-30-08, 04:14 PM

Anyone played Heavenly Sword? I had heard it was good but short. I figured it wasn't worth $60, but when I saw if finally drop to $30 at Target ($25 a/c), I went ahead and picked it up. Now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping at $25. I figure it porbably is worth it at that price, but any input (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Anyone played Heavenly Sword? I had heard it was good but short. I figured it wasn't worth $60, but when I saw if finally drop to $30 at Target ($25 a/c), I went ahead and picked it up. Now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping at $25. I figure it porbably is worth it at that price, but any input (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
I've part way through it. It's an enjoyable romp, not too deep/complex/any staying power. But it's purty, and entertaining. Worth $25 IMO.
Old 06-30-08, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I didn't pull anything off... I didn't ask for two gunmetal PS3s, i was surprised by the packages myself. At first i thought the game and the PS3 are in different boxes, but that doesn't make sense, b/c the game box is too big to be a game box (not to mention two identical sized box). When i opened both, behold, two PS3s... And i was wrong, the LE game is packed with the PS3, not a separate box. Immediately, checked invoice and CC charge, nope, only one charge... Checked Konami order page, nope, only one ordered and shipped. Checked my e-mails, nope, only one tracking # was provided.

I can ask Konami to take it back, but i'm not paying extra shipping fee (i opened the box, remember, i have no idea that was a second PS3 until i opened it). I can contact Konami, but why bother? Waste my opportunity cost? No way... If they track the mistake back to the shipping department and decided to take it back, sure, contact me and pay the return shipping (schedule a pick up too, i'm not gonna waste gas and time).

As for worth the price of $600? Hell no! It's a freaking backward console, no BC, no memory card slots (card readers don't work well over USB, not the same as the 60gb's build-in memory card slots, i tried last night).

If it's a gunmetal 80gb, then yeah, worth it... not b/c a bigger hdd, but at least most PS2 BCs and memory card slots.

Overall, the LE game inside kinda makes up the price a bit. But you can get that from GS for $90 (tax). So, yeah, the other PS3 bundles are still better. Especially those of you got it with the $100 gc back and as well as the 35% eBay Live thingy.

Now, price aside, the gunmetal is actually very luxurious looking console... It has this slick feeling to it. No more finger prints definitely! The matching gunmetal DS3 is awesome too. Of course, it's not really metal or textured coating like i initially imaged it would be, but i'm not complaining...
Well that is a nice deal you got there Ocelot. Did you end up selling the extra unit or did you just give it to a friend?
Old 06-30-08, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by kenage
Well that is a nice deal you got there Ocelot. Did you end up selling the extra unit or did you just give it to a friend?
Ummm... Ocelot isn't posting anymore in here anymore. It's certainly an entertaining read in the 360 thread if you'd like to know why.
Old 06-30-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
So Ocelot has retired from the Video Game Talk forum?
Old 06-30-08, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
So Ocelot has retired from the Video Game Talk forum?
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Hmmm, from time to time i do learn things here, but if i'm not welcome here, then beat it. Consider Ocelot out the game thread for good, clap hands now I'm doing everybody a favor here, so good day!

Honestly? You know you guys need me to stir up the pot a little from time to time (in non-offensive way). This place is boring as hell! Every freaking time there's a post and following posts, it's like someone kiss somebody else's ass. It's like a party of old farts (senor managements). At least in the other forums (like others), people are more expressive...
So that seems to be a big, fat YES. I'm still broken up over it.
Old 07-01-08, 01:26 AM

So I tried to play PAIN and was forced to DL a major update. I thought it was a little strange, but what the hell, right? Turns out I think it gives some more gameplay features with another launch location or something -- I'm not far along enough to know. But then while finally playing the game (after a typical painfully slow PSN update download), I notice something different : there are movie posters for the upcoming films Hancock and Step Brothers plastered on the walls of the game's buildings! I guess this is Sony synergy. Now I've got to look at these movie posters every time I play the game. I guess corperate-wise it makes some sense, but seriously, how annoying is THAT?
Old 07-01-08, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
So I tried to play PAIN and was forced to DL a major update. I thought it was a little strange, but what the hell, right? Turns out I think it gives some more gameplay features with another launch location or something -- I'm not far along enough to know. But then while finally playing the game (after a typical painfully slow PSN update download), I notice something different : there are movie posters for the upcoming films Hancock and Step Brothers plastered on the walls of the game's buildings! I guess this is Sony synergy. Now I've got to look at these movie posters every time I play the game. I guess corperate-wise it makes some sense, but seriously, how annoying is THAT?

Game development isn't getting any cheaper. In fact, with this generation of consoles, costs are increasing exponentially. If in-game advertising keeps game costs at their current level, I'm all for it.

Think about it, would you have rather have in-game ads, or $70 and $80 games?
Old 07-01-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy the in-game ads in PAIN....makes the city seem "real". It's not really annoying to me at least. I've barely touched the surface of PAIN, maybe I will wait for trophies to start up again.
Old 07-01-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Yeah seeing real posters is pretty annoying... erm wait, nevermind, no it's not.
Old 07-01-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't know Pain got an update.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.