DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

steebo777 09-17-08 01:29 PM

I need to get that game.

Michael Corvin 09-17-08 01:34 PM

I just sold mine to feed the fall rush of games/movies I want.

I finished all but the final 3 Masterpiece puzzles. What was the point in the Picarats? I busted my ass to solve those on the first try to get the maximum and it turns out they are worth jack and shit?

shumway 09-17-08 03:01 PM

Wow, just saw this on IGN: http://ds.ign.com/articles/910/910389p1.html . Suikoden: Tierkreis. I've been a huge fan of the Suikoden days since PS1. I hadn't heard anything of a Suikoden DS game until this.

Baron Of Hell 09-20-08 12:48 PM

I got the PS1 version used but never got around to playing it. The 108 characters are scary. I don't think I can handle that many at once.

shumway 09-20-08 04:26 PM

Eh, it's mainly about finding the characters. There were many that I never really used. Also, some worked well with others and unlocked team attacks, etc. The story was really good and the graphics were beautiful for the time.

mh4268 09-20-08 06:36 PM

suikoden 2 is still one of the best rpg I have ever played, great story. The ps2 games weren't as impressive, though 5 brought it back to good quality. I will buy whatever system 6 comes out for. This is a pleasant surprise.

Goldberg74 09-22-08 04:06 PM

I finished Layton last night with 115/115 in about 13 hours, so I missed 5 puzzles along the way somewhere.

Sometime this week I'll go back and find them and do the downloadable ones.

Fun game for $25.

tonyc3742 10-12-08 10:20 AM

We got my boy a DSLite for his birthday last week (which of course means immediately thereafter Nintendo announces a new hardware version...)
Having reviewed some of the major sites, it appears there are a metric ton of DS games.
Can anyone recommend some games suitable in content and gameplay for a six year old?

He's expressed an interest in the Pokemon games, and it looks like Diamond/Pearl are the highest rated, but I know nothing about the Pokemon universe of games. We downloaded the demo of the Flash Focus game from the Wii, and he actually enjoyed that more than I thought he would. I ordered New Super Mario Bros. from Goozex, so that one is in the mail. I personally like turn based JRPGs and SRPGs, so I would like to share those with him (and of course I stay up later than he does, so the DS could be pressed into double duty), and of course there are lots of 'edutainment' games like Brain Age, but I don't know which are both good and relatively age-appropriate. I have heard good things about Layton, and he likes mazes and tangrams and such.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

pinata242 10-12-08 01:15 PM

I can't pry New Super Mario Bros. out of my 7-year-old daughter's hands. Nearly a full year she's been playing that nonstop, with the exception of Super Princess Peach (but not for a boy, probably). She also loves Nintendogs.

For you, Dragon Quest IV.

Quake1028 10-19-08 12:51 PM

For anyone interested, Best Buy has both Nanostray 2 and Jam Sessions for $19.99 each, but they are on clearance at 75% off, so I was able to get them for $5 a piece. Not bad for some quality games. Of course, YMMV and all that jazz.

Trevor 10-20-08 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 (Post 9014580)
For anyone interested, Best Buy has both Nanostray 2 and Jam Sessions for $19.99 each, but they are on clearance at 75% off, so I was able to get them for $5 a piece. Not bad for some quality games. Of course, YMMV and all that jazz.

Pretty sure BB clearance is specific to one store.

Quake1028 10-20-08 07:12 PM

Others have reported getting the same deal on a few various forums, so it's out there. But of course, that's why I put YMMV.

slop101 10-20-08 07:25 PM

BTW, the new Castlevania game for the DS comes out tomorrow.

From what I've seen, it has the best 2-D art/animation of any Castlevania game to date.
The gameplay is supposed to be more linear than the previous games, but not in a bad way.

steebo777 10-21-08 07:51 AM

Word, I forgot that was coming out. Thanks for the reminder!

Michael Corvin 10-21-08 08:52 AM

That's one of those franchises, to me, that are always fun to play but only move the experience needle ever so slightly it's hard to get jazzed about a new one.

LorenzoL 11-09-08 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9017542)
BTW, the new Castlevania game for the DS comes out tomorrow.

From what I've seen, it has the best 2-D art/animation of any Castlevania game to date.
The gameplay is supposed to be more linear than the previous games, but not in a bad way.

Has anyone here been playing the new Castlevania game? I seen it on stores and was wondering if its on par with the previous two Castlevania DS games or as slop101 indicated if its better.

darkside 11-09-08 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 9060316)
Has anyone here been playing the new Castlevania game? I seen it on stores and was wondering if its on par with the previous two Castlevania DS games or as slop101 indicated if its better.

Reviews say it is better and harder, but I haven't been able to pick it up yet. Hopefully by Christmas.

LorenzoL 11-09-08 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9060402)
Reviews say it is better and harder, but I haven't been able to pick it up yet. Hopefully by Christmas.

I have both of the previous games and loved it so I think I'll just go ahead and get it.

Thanks.

Baron Of Hell 11-09-08 09:42 AM

I have it also but I'm playing crisis core still. Castlevania will be my next portable game.

UncleGramps 11-09-08 05:15 PM

I rented Order of Ecclesia and played through it. It's really good, but seemed tougher than previous DS Castlevania games, especially some of the bosses. I found myself having to level grind in a few spots and hoard healing items, but overall it was a lot of fun.

slop101 11-09-08 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9060402)
Reviews say it is better and harder...

I'm about a third of the way though it, and I'd agree with that. It's a superb Castlevania game, but the boss battles are tough and require some serious grinding/strategy along with a bunch of health/heart potions.

steebo777 11-10-08 02:00 PM

Man, I spent like 2hrs on the crab boss last night until I beat him. My gaming skills have fallen big time over the years :(

pinata242 11-10-08 02:08 PM

Flip him over for...
Spoiler:
MASSIVE DAMAGE!!!

steebo777 11-10-08 02:27 PM

Spoiler:
The lighthouse boss? I didn't know you could even flip him over. I just went to the top then used the elevator to crush him.

GatorDeb 11-11-08 10:10 AM

Some things I'm playing:

Touchmaster 2 - I LOVE it even more than the first, and that's saying something. 20 games. #1 was card-centric and this is more puzzle-centric. I looooove me some sliding puzzles :D

Rubik's World - how cool is it to have a virtual Rubik's cube?