DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

darkside 07-30-08 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Use a Phoenix Down, Raise, or the White Monk skill Exorcise on their tombstone to get rid of them for good.

Damn it, I've played dozens of FF games and I don't think of this. Thanks that will get me back into it. Any suggestions for single troop dispatch missions? I've failed everyone except the barmaid one. No idea what they want sometimes and I've tried a few several times with different characters.

Edit: Nevermind, even this strategy is a failure. If you completely kill them they just add a new enemy at the corner of the map. You basically have to kill them all at once. It is complete crap. Maybe later in the game you have guys that can strike every enemy at once, but with my current crew this is just pure frustration. Now matter how you plan it you can't kill them all at once and if you leave someone alone for too long they will refill their energy. Tactical RPGs are time consuming enough to play and clear a map, but having the enemies respawn like this is just too much to deal with. This game is going on Half.com today.

fujishig 07-31-08 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Re: Pixy.

When he didn't post the name of the game I thought he had just forgotten so I asked for it. When I realized he hadn't forgotten, I wrote him off. I think it's ridiculous (note, I'm not saying someONE is ridiculous, I'm saying an action is) to go to a video game bulletin board and post "I'm playing the most awesome game ever but I'm not telling you what it is yet lero lero lero."

I wonder if Pixy is coming back. Even Ocelot is back, though I haven't seen him post in the video game forum yet.

wildcatlh 07-31-08 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Damn it, I've played dozens of FF games and I don't think of this. Thanks that will get me back into it. Any suggestions for single troop dispatch missions? I've failed everyone except the barmaid one. No idea what they want sometimes and I've tried a few several times with different characters.

Edit: Nevermind, even this strategy is a failure. If you completely kill them they just add a new enemy at the corner of the map. You basically have to kill them all at once. It is complete crap. Maybe later in the game you have guys that can strike every enemy at once, but with my current crew this is just pure frustration. Now matter how you plan it you can't kill them all at once and if you leave someone alone for too long they will refill their energy. Tactical RPGs are time consuming enough to play and clear a map, but having the enemies respawn like this is just too much to deal with. This game is going on Half.com today.

Your loss. It's not that hard. With the Archer's Burial ability and a couple of Phoenix downs the "undead" missions are easier than any of the others.

Edit: You sure you're looking at the correct conditions for the mission? The only missions I've seen that involved new enemies coming out where where the conditions were either (a) pick up the pieces strewn around the field, or (b) kill x number of enemies. In either case killing all of them is irrelevant.

darkside 07-31-08 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Your loss. It's not that hard. With the Archer's Burial ability and a couple of Phoenix downs the "undead" missions are easier than any of the others.

Edit: You sure you're looking at the correct conditions for the mission? The only missions I've seen that involved new enemies coming out where where the conditions were either (a) pick up the pieces strewn around the field, or (b) kill x number of enemies. In either case killing all of them is irrelevant.

It is the one were you have to protect the newspaper guy. I've killed dozens of them (finishing them with the archer and white monk) and they keep respawning. My guys are just not strong enough to take them all down at once. There is always one or two left and they cast wake the dead to bring more or one will just appear at the end of a round. I could probably skip this mission until I have a stronger crew, but I'm sick of this game in general. I love the job system, but the story is lame and the maps are beyond generic. They have to toss in the judges and dumb rules to try and add excitement to rather dull maps. I'm moving on.

bigsoos 08-12-08 08:46 AM

Yikes, looks like they bumped up the difficulty level on FF4. The game doesn't give much in the Gil area either.

slop101 08-12-08 11:01 AM

If you're even the slightest bit interested in shooters, you must pick up <u>Bangai-O: Spirits</u> for the DS. It just came out in the US, and is one of the best action games you can get for the DS - pure Treasure goodness.

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/180777b.jpg

Here's a lengthy review of the game.

darkside 08-12-08 04:23 PM

Pure Treasure brutal difficulty curve as well, but that is to be expected. I'm definitely getting it. Loved their previous GBA efforts like Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes.

fujishig 08-12-08 05:30 PM

worth it if I still have it for Dreamcast (meaning other than that it's on a portable)?

slop101 08-12-08 05:39 PM

Yeah - it's not exactly the same game - it's Bangai-O Spirits - it has some more modes and extras not in the Dreamcast version, and you can play other people over wi-fi.

darkside 08-12-08 08:27 PM

You can also trade levels with sound files which is pretty clever. You can simply play the sound file into the microphone and you are loading a level into the game.

UncleGramps 08-13-08 10:35 AM

Just wanted to make a quick recommendation of an under-the-radar DS game. It's called Soul Bubbles, and unfortunately it's only sold at Toys R Us. After seeing it pimped excessively at GoNintendo, I decided to pick it up, and it's an excellent little game. It's an action game with great touch-screen control mechanics and some light puzzle elements, and the audio and visuals are quite nice. It's $30, and given the lack of a license or recognizable title, I imagine it won't be around for too long, so if you're interested, I'd recommend tracking it down sooner rather than later.

slop101 08-13-08 11:15 AM

Soul Bubbles - what kind of action game is it? a platformer?

darkside 08-13-08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Soul Bubbles - what kind of action game is it? a platformer?

More of a puzzle game. Kind of like Loco Roco. Sounds pretty good from the reviews.

UncleGramps 08-13-08 04:41 PM

Yeah, not really a platformer, exactly. Your character can create bubbles to protect spirits. Then the character can blow to create winds and guide the bubbles through levels and around various obstacles to the goal. You can split bubbles to get through tight spaces and use a cut attack to take out enemies and remove certain obstacles. I'm having a tough time thinking of games to compare it to, but Loco Roco sort of works, and maybe Kirby's Canvas Curse would work too, although the pace of Soul Bubbles is much slower and it's generally more relaxed. But it's similar in that you control almost all of the action through the touch screen, and the gameplay revolves around switching between your different abilities quickly in order to get through the levels. The puzzles so far aren't really too deep, but I'm only on the 2nd world, so that may change. It's a cute, fun game, and worth a look if you're in the market for something new for your DS.

pinata242 08-18-08 02:21 PM

I could have sworn there was talk in this thread or another about the DS version of Chrono Trigger. Maybe the search is still broken (but it seemed to work) or I'm just useless. Anyway, November 25th:

Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that its highly anticipated Nintendo DS™ title CHRONO TRIGGER® will ship to North American retailers on November 25, 2008. A groundbreaking RPG that became an instant classic, CHRONO TRIGGER is set to be one of the most compelling handheld titles available this holiday season.

Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS, this newly enhanced edition maintains all of the game’s original elements and spirit while introducing portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch Screen functionality.

Originally released in 1995 on the Super NES® and subsequently shipping more than 2.5 million copies worldwide, CHRONO TRIGGER is critically acclaimed as one of the greatest video games of all time. Praise continued to be showered upon the title at last month’s E3 2008 Media and Business Summit, with CHRONO TRIGGER receiving accolades including “Best RPG” and “Best DS Game.”

Players can look forward to a reunion with CHRONO TRIGGER’s multifaceted storyline, memorable soundtrack and exhilarating gameplay this November.

STORY

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono’s race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

FEATURES

# A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time
# An inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda
# Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills
# Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world
# Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual-screen presentation and Touch Screen functionality
# Brand-new dungeons and an Arena mode add exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic

CHRONO TRIGGER is rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. The official website can be found at http://na.square-enix.com/ctds.

Michael Corvin 08-18-08 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 8882520)
I could have sworn there was talk in this thread or another about the DS version of Chrono Trigger. Maybe the search is still broken (but it seemed to work) or I'm just useless. Anyway, November 25th:

Maybe you remember seeing a screenshot but no description. ;)

pinata242 08-18-08 02:54 PM

I believe you may be right.

A-aron 08-21-08 08:37 AM

Is there a way to connect to WiFi when my wireless router uses WPA protection? My son wants to connect with his Pokemon game, but I just cant connect at home. I see that the USB connector is no longer sold (and the Nintendo site says it isn't needed) but their solution is to remove the security from my network, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

pinata242 08-21-08 08:53 AM

The DS only supports unsecured and WEP networks directly.

The USB adapter, as I recall, was the only way to bridge the gap via connection sharing of a PC. If that's really unavailable, you're SOL.

I think the official reasoning for never updating the firmware was the DS's internal 802.11b hardware wasn't fast enough to allow for higher encryption. As if that affects any other system...

But they're never wrong. At least never admit it.

Lurker Gal 08-21-08 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by achau9598 (Post 8888063)
Is there a way to connect to WiFi when my wireless router uses WPA protection? My son wants to connect with his Pokemon game, but I just cant connect at home. I see that the USB connector is no longer sold (and the Nintendo site says it isn't needed) but their solution is to remove the security from my network, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

We upgraded our router because we're using the [email protected] phone service and ran into the same problem not being able to connect because of WPA. I've been connecting on a neighbor's unsecured WiFi connection. I need to do the same for the Wii if I want to download stuff from the VC.

shumway 08-21-08 03:28 PM

The Wii supports WPA so no need to leech the other connection.

Lurker Gal 08-22-08 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by shumway (Post 8888718)
The Wii supports WPA so no need to leech the other connection.

Nice to know, thank you.

fumanstan 08-22-08 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 8888098)

I think the official reasoning for never updating the firmware was the DS's internal 802.11b hardware wasn't fast enough to allow for higher encryption. As if that affects any other system...

But they're never wrong. At least never admit it.

Seems possible, as I understand it for instance WPA2 can run slower then WPA on older hardware so it wouldn't surprise me if the equipment in the DS could take a performance hit.

Superboy 08-22-08 08:38 PM

I've been out of the DS loop for more than a year since mine was stolen and I was too lazy to replace it. Looks like i've missed a lot of quality games but at the same time, even more are coming out. I also replaced my stolen copy of Elite Beat Agents for only $7 at TRU :). I didn't even know FFIV came out!

pinata242 08-22-08 08:46 PM

DQIV in less than 4 weeks, Superboy. Get back on the wagon!