DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

TimeandTide 11-11-08 10:29 AM


Originally Posted by dtcarson (Post 8999138)
We got my boy a DSLite for his birthday last week (which of course means immediately thereafter Nintendo announces a new hardware version...)
Having reviewed some of the major sites, it appears there are a metric ton of DS games.
Can anyone recommend some games suitable in content and gameplay for a six year old?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Bumping this post as I'm getting my soon-to-be 6-year old a DS for Christmas. Aside from New Super Mario and Lego SW (which he loves on my 360), any other recommendations?

riotinmyskull 11-23-08 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by TimeandTide (Post 9065291)
Bumping this post as I'm getting my soon-to-be 6-year old a DS for Christmas. Aside from New Super Mario and Lego SW (which he loves on my 360), any other recommendations?

kirby superstar ultra

DVDChris 11-23-08 11:41 AM

I'd recommend Mario Kart and perhaps Animal Crossing.

slop101 11-23-08 11:42 AM

In case you're into shooters, I just picked up Metal Slug 7 for the DS. It's Metal Slug through and through, so if that's what you want, that's what you get. I haven't seen another 2-D game on the DS with the amount of rich hand-drawn detail and fluid animation as this has - it gets crazy in spots and no slow down. It's got a bunch of different modes and extras that flesh out the package - a solid toilet-time waster.

DVDChris 11-23-08 11:47 AM

Umm...he mentioned it's for a 6 year old.

If your son is into Pokemon, you can't go wrong with any of those games.

TimeandTide 11-23-08 11:51 AM


Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9089543)
kirby superstar ultra


Originally Posted by DVDChris
I'd recommend Mario Kart and perhaps Animal Crossing.

If your son is into Pokemon, you can't go wrong with any of those games.

Thanks for the suggestions! Adding them to my list.

slop101 11-23-08 01:11 PM


Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 9089812)
Umm...he mentioned it's for a 6 year old.

I wasn't replying to him - it was just a general recommendation for anyone who like shooters. This is the general DS thread, right?

orangecrush 11-23-08 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9089807)
In case you're into shooters, I just picked up Metal Slug 7 for the DS. It's Metal Slug through and through, so if that's what you want, that's what you get. I haven't seen another 2-D game on the DS with the amount of rich hand-drawn detail and fluid animation as this has - it gets crazy in spots and no slow down. It's got a bunch of different modes and extras that flesh out the package - a solid toilet-time waster.

It's not a real Metal Slug if it doesn't have at least some slowdown ;)

DVDChris 11-24-08 01:00 AM


Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9089967)
I wasn't replying to him - it was just a general recommendation for anyone who like shooters. This is the general DS thread, right?

Gotcha. I thought you were replying to the recommendations for a 6 year old since it was two posts up. No worries. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

hail2dking 11-25-08 10:33 AM


Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9089543)
kirby superstar ultra

$24 new at Blockbuster...

Trevor 11-30-08 03:08 PM

Travel Games for Dummies is $4.95 at Amazon.

LorenzoL 12-01-08 05:30 AM

I know that Chrono Trigger DS is out but I can't seem to find online here in Canada. I looked at Best Buy, Future Shop and Amazon.ca and can't seem to find the title. My next step will be to look at the Wal-Mart near by.

slop101 12-01-08 11:07 AM

Can't help out with Canada, but CT is pretty widely available here.

What kills me is that they're charging an exorbitant $40 for it. Sure, it's a classic game that's worth every penny and then some. But that's all subjective.

Objectively, it's a port of a port of a 13-year old 16-bit game. It should be a $10 Virtual Console download - no fucking way should it be an upper-tier priced DS game.

steebo777 12-01-08 01:27 PM

Totally agree on that!!!

shumway 12-01-08 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9103828)
Can't help out with Canada, but CT is pretty widely available here.

What kills me is that they're charging an exorbitant $40 for it. Sure, it's a classic game that's worth every penny and then some. But that's all subjective.

Objectively, it's a port of a port of a 13-year old 16-bit game. It should be a $10 Virtual Console download - no fucking way should it be an upper-tier priced DS game.

It's the Square Enix tax. Every one of their games like this come out at a 39.99 price point.

Wick 12-02-08 02:28 AM

I live in Southern Ontario and I was able to get a copy of Chrono Trigger at Blockbuster Video, Thursday night. It was $44.99, though. I haven't had time to play it yet.

CreatureX 12-02-08 06:21 AM

Turn your DS into an e-reader with '100 Classic Book Collection' from Nintendo. This collection features the works of William Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, Jules Verne and Jane Austen.

So far this has been announced for the UK. I hope NOA releases this over here.

Entering this world of words couldn’t be easier – simply hold your DS like a book and use the stylus to effortlessly turn the pages. You can adjust the text size to whatever suits you best and a bookmark feature means dog-eared pages are a thing of the past. Can’t decide what you’re in the mood for? The 100 Classic Book Collection allows you to search for books in a number of different ways, such as subject matter and length, meaning you can find a suitable story in seconds. As well as the novels, you can access book introductions and find out more on the authors themselves – there are also additional books that you can download via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection!
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/pho...LL._SS400_.jpg

source: Nintendo UK (click for screenshots)

xmiyux 12-02-08 07:58 AM

If you have the means to play homebrews on your DS there is already a homebrew program that will act as an e-reader. It is pretty basic but it includes a few hundred books from the Gutenberg Project (the project that is putting books in the public domain into e-book format so it is completely legal).

shumway 12-02-08 09:55 AM

Thanks goes to CAG, Etrian Odyssey II is the Amazon DOTD for 11.98:

http://www.amazon.com/Etrian-Odyssey...8233279&sr=8-1

Quack 12-02-08 04:03 PM

I really wanna pick up that new cooking title....looks really interesting and I would love to learn to cook a little better.

darkside 12-02-08 06:08 PM


Originally Posted by CreatureX (Post 9105502)
Turn your DS into an e-reader with '100 Classic Book Collection' from Nintendo. This collection features the works of William Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, Jules Verne and Jane Austen.

So far this has been announced for the UK. I hope NOA releases this over here.


source: Nintendo UK (click for screenshots)

Kind of cool but the resolution on the DS will be tough on the eyes. I have an iPod Touch now to take care of ebook reading.

gimmepilotwings 12-04-08 02:23 PM

Any other recommendations for games?

ChronoTrigger seems nice, but I'm not paying that price.

I am currently playing Castlevania:DoS because I never finished it. Recently finished Advance Wars and Phoenix Wright.

I probably should pick up Apollo Justice.

xmiyux 12-04-08 02:29 PM

NinjaTown is really fun.

UncleGramps 12-04-08 02:33 PM

Another vote for Ninjatown. I also picked up N+ during the Amazon Black Friday sale, and that's a lot of fun too.

gimmepilotwings 12-04-08 02:34 PM

off to google ninjatown


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.