Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Official Wii thread -Part IX

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I really need to sign up for that ECA thing since I buy almost all of my games from Amazon now.
As seen on CAG, sign up for free by using the code GIMAG.

http://www.theeca.com/
Old 09-25-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
As seen on CAG, sign up for free by using the code GIMAG.

http://www.theeca.com/
This thing is awesome especially since you can combine it with other deals like the Kingdom Hearts coupon or the 5% extra discount in the gold box. Got that one for $25.59 plus you get a $10 coupon for a future game, got Pinball Hall of Fame for $26.54 and Persona on PSP for $31.44.
Old 09-27-09, 05:02 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

Wii price drop is officially up on Amazon.

$199.99 now.
Old 09-27-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

^^ And to make the deal even sweeter, they are giving away a $25 gift card when you buy.

I may finally get me a Wii.
Old 09-27-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Wii price drop is officially up on Amazon.

$199.99 now.
And Frys Electronics has the Price Drop as well. You would think they would start selling a lot more but I spotted about two dozen Wii systems at the store.
Old 09-29-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wii System Menu and Feature Updates

Occasionally Nintendo will release updates to the existing Wii Menu, or enhancements to other system features and channels. This page lists many of those updates, with a brief description of their benefits, and when the updates were made available. Of course when you download the latest Wii Menu Update, you get all of the previous Wii Menu enhancements included. Enhancements to specific channels, like the Check Mii Out Channel, may require you to re-download the channel again to access the updated version.

* Most Recent Update:

September 28, 2009

Wii Menu 4.2

Unauthorized Modifications
Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.
If the blue slot on your Wii is flashing today then, this is why.
Old 09-29-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What a lame update. Why can't the Big N give us more channels and variety along with more VC games so we don't have to do Home Brew channels.
Old 09-29-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dunno.

Having the ability to customize the menu colors or change the BG would be nice simple adds.

At this point I think any new features like this they are too busy working on for the next generation of the Wii.
Old 09-29-09, 07:32 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

The Wii Motion Plus is $16.98 at Amazon right now.

It was in my Gold Box Quick Picks for $16.13 (19% off). So I picked one up.

Also, there is a Wii Sports Resort w/ 2 Wii Motion Plus modules for $59.99 @ Amazon.
Old 09-30-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw MadWorld in the $20 bin at Wal-Mart today. I almost picked it up, but figured I would see how it fared critically before picking it up.
Old 09-30-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the game "Help Wanted" at the Target clearance last week. Man this game is fun. Its clearly made for Japanese culture but if you don't mind that its a good time.

Basically there are 50 jobs you have learn in order to earn more and more money and save the planet from destruction. The use of the controls are very well done and the mini-games themselves are some of the best I have ever seen as far as creativity and design.
Old 09-30-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with the new update - there is a huge thread over at GAF, and a sticky thread by a mod, warning people that the new update is bricking systems no matter if you have a modded system or not.
Old 09-30-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
Be careful with the new update - there is a huge thread over at GAF, and a sticky thread by a mod, warning people that the new update is bricking systems no matter if you have a modded system or not.
The "huge" thread is the homebrew thread and has nothing to do with systems bricking, ACTUAL reports of issues have been very minor from what I've seen/heard (and probably on par with any system update on any of the systems).

The "mod" you mentioned is just some wacky homebrew enthusiast who bans people from the site for suggesting that homebrew hacking is primarily used for piracy (which it is) and is known for parroting wild "anti-consumer" claims for companies that try to protect their intellectual rights while letting people who flame other members and trolling in general keep their accounts.

So.. yeah.
Old 09-30-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty, I didn't know any of that.
Old 09-30-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
What's to be careful about? You update and either it bricks or it doesn't.

I updated mine last night and decided to finally give Mega Man 9 a decent go. 40 minutes later and zero progress made me throw in the towel and I booted up Super Metroid instead. I haven't played that since it came out. It was a blast.
Old 09-30-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's probably still good to have a warning out there obviously, and I'm sure Nintendo will have an -a or -b update out for it soon if it's a real issue and not just piracy fanatics attacking Nintendo for trying to block their piracy attempts, but it sounds like the HUGE majority of people are updating fine, myself included. With millions of Wii owners this would have been widespread news yesterday when the update dropped if was a real issue. Also, it looks like from checking a few places this seems to be primarily linked to people turning their Wiis off during the update.
Old 09-30-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Also, it looks like from checking a few places this seems to be primarily linked to people turning their Wiis off during the update.
Which each and every update explicitly warns you not to do. Morons.
Old 09-30-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which each and every update explicitly warns you not to do. Morons.
Exactly, but on a place like NeoGAF it's called shoddy programming and anti-consumer tactics.. MAAAAAAAHHHN.
Old 10-01-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup a non issue. I've updated to 4.2 with no problems.
Old 10-02-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I updated my Wii with no problems. I think it's from people seeing their Wii sitting there not doing anything at the beginning of the download, think that it hung and go to shut it off, when it's just taking it's time to grab the new file(s). The whole process took about 5 minutes, so I think it's people being impatient, not the software/hardware.

I picked up MadWorld today for $20 at Wal-Mart. Sad that it was released just over 6 months ago, and it's already dropped 60% in price.
Old 10-02-09, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I updated my Wii with no problems. I think it's from people seeing their Wii sitting there not doing anything at the beginning of the download, think that it hung and go to shut it off, when it's just taking it's time to grab the new file(s). The whole process took about 5 minutes, so I think it's people being impatient, not the software/hardware.
You have a point. I thought it was hung up at the beginning as well.
Old 10-02-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll never understand why people do this. It explicitly says do not turn it off. The whole process may have taken about 5-7 minutes.

If it was hung for 30-40 minutes then yes maybe you should think about other options but certainly not after only 2-3 min.
Old 10-02-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 338 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
I'll never understand why people do this. It explicitly says do not turn it off. The whole process may have taken about 5-7 minutes.
Because people are impatient. Especially if they're sitting there staring at it. I always get up and do something else after starting a firmware update so I know I won't even be tempted to inaccurately suspect it's hung up.
Old 10-03-09, 03:08 PM

Have not played the Wii for about 3 months......updated last night and tried out the internet chan........all is well.....gave the Wii a good workout today!!
Old 10-04-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Data East Arcade Classics coming for Wii first quarter 1010

Reading about these games brings back lots of memories!

-- from geek.com andother sites:

We are all used to seeing classic game collections being released from publishers such as Capcom, Taito, or Sega. But a new collection has appeared on the ESRB ratings database that I haven’t seen before and may bring back a few memories and start a gaming nostalgia trip.

A ratings description lists Data East Arcade Classics as coming to the Wii. Some games are mentioned, but there isn’t a definitive list. However, Kotaku commentor Pete Rosky did post this as the possible game line-up:

Burger Time and its sequel
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja
Burnin’ Rubber
Caveman Ninja
Express Raider
Heavy Barrel
Lock ‘n’ Chase
Magical Drop (may be more than one in the series)
Pete Pepper’s Ice Cream Factory
Secret Agent
Side Pocket
Street Slam
Super Real Darwin
Crude Buster
Wizard Fire

---

Fifteen classic arcade games are heading to the Wii early next year, courtesy of Majesco and the Data East Arcade Classics collection. Are you a bad enough dude?

Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja is just one of the many excellent arcade titles Data East created back in the day. Titles like BurgerTime, Side Pocket, and Magical Drop are all the sort of arcade games that you forget about until someone mentions them, and then you're flooded with fond memories. Majesco hopes to help you recapture those memories with Data East Arcade Classics for Wii, a collection of fifteen of the best games Data East had to offer, with full multiplayer support so you can share them with friends and family. Other games in the compilation include Burnin' Rubber, Heavy Barrel, Caveman Ninja, Side Pocket, and BurgerTime sequel Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory. If those names don't get you excited, then you're probably much younger than I am.

Mind you we knew this was coming, and we knew it so well that I used nearly exactly the same headline as McWhertor did when reporting on the ESRB rating for the game early last month.

Data East Arcade Classics should hit the Wii early next year, priced to move at $19.99.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.