Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Wii thread -Part IX

You should like it then. I enjoy both genres and was ready for the perfect mix. This, sadly, was not that.
Old 05-11-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinata242
You should like it then. I enjoy both genres and was ready for the perfect mix. This, sadly, was not that.
Bc it was too platform heavy? Or all the text?
Old 05-11-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not enjoy Super Paper Mario at all. I'm not sure why.
Old 05-11-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Bc it was too platform heavy? Or all the text?
I like platformers. I like RPGs.

I like Super Mario Brothers. I like Paper Mario.

Super Paper Mario was not the sum of SMB and PM.

It didn't retain enough PM (RPG) for my tastes.
Old 05-11-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I like platformers. I like RPGs.

I like Super Mario Brothers. I like Paper Mario.

Super Paper Mario was not the sum of SMB and PM.

It didn't retain enough PM (RPG) for my tastes.
Seconded. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was one of the best RPGs last gen for me. It was CRAZY good. Super Paper Mario did not have a strong platformer aspect to it, and since that's what its focus was, it kind of fell flat to me.
Old 05-11-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Seconded. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was one of the best RPGs last gen for me. It was CRAZY good. Super Paper Mario did not have a strong platformer aspect to it, and since that's what its focus was, it kind of fell flat to me.
I agree with this as well. I finished Super Paper Mario so it wasn't unplayable or anything, but it was no where near as enjoyable as the first two RPGs. I credit them for trying something like this, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped.
Old 05-11-09, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super Paper Mario was good enough to want to finish it.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door was just an amazing gaming experience that Super Paper Mario couldn't come close to touching.

Out of all the Wii games released (I've tried every first party game), my favorites are Wario Shake It and Super Mario Galaxy... also World of Goo is up there.
Old 05-11-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
Super Paper Mario was good enough to want to finish it.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door was just an amazing gaming experience that Super Paper Mario couldn't come close to touching.

Out of all the Wii games released (I've tried every first party game), my favorites are Wario Shake It and Super Mario Galaxy... also World of Goo is up there.

I love Mario Kart because I play primarily online.

SMG I will play when I go through Mario 64 so far.

Wario Shake It is easily the second best Wii game I have played.
Old 05-12-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will the Wii MotionPlus allow you to use the Nunchuk controller at the same time?
Old 05-12-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsoos
Will the Wii MotionPlus allow you to use the Nunchuk controller at the same time?
Yes. It has a port for the Nunchuk, etc at the bottom.
Old 05-13-09, 10:38 PM

is anyone going to pickup the ea active game for the wii. it looks awesome and gamestop has a bundle which includes the accessory pack for $59.99. it is the same price at bestbuy without the accessory pack. http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...spx?sku=230526
Old 05-14-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Not my cup of tea personally.
Old 05-14-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

it looks interesting to me. Where does it say that it comes with the accessory pack? All versions have the leg strap and resistance band. The accessory pack would just be an extra one of each.
Old 05-14-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So my Wii has been getting a workout this week. My 360 is starting to get jealous.

I knock out a little Boom Blox here and there. I'm currently sitting at 63% completed. I don't think I'm ever going to finish this game. Good thing about that though is that by the time I hit 100%, Boom Blox 2 will be down to $10.

I also ran through Samba de Amigo over this past weekend. Pretty fun little game. I think the plastic maracas are way to bulky though. Did this game just tank? I don't recall seeing much hoopla about it. It's fun for what it is. Seems a little short though for a $50 price tag.

ExciteBots is still a blast, I just miss the custom soundtrack option that ExciteTruck had. I want to say it's more fun because of the tricks but some of the waggle is annoying and the 'in-race' mini-games like bowling, soccer and darts is rather lame.

I finally popped in Link's Crossbow Training and played it straight through. Not much to say about this one. Decent concept, but there wasn't enough variety, it was too short and doesn't seem like it has much replay value. I doubt I'll pop it back in. I nabbed it for $3 at GS, so it's not a huge loss.

I also started the Wii version of Pikmin. I'm already about 1/3 of the way through the game and it's still a blast. I haven't played it since before Pikmin 2 came out, so it's been fun running through it again. I have noticed I am playing the game a bit differently, for better or worse. I no longer care about my Pikmin. When I played it years ago, I protected every single one of them, hardly had any die and left little to no one behind. Now I'm just marching them to their deaths. I just launch them willy-nilly at the enemies now. I'm also one of the few people that actually likes the clock/time restraint. I thought the second game suffered from not having it.

Anyway, I sold my GCN copy ages ago, so this wasn't really an upgrade to me, just kind of re-adding it to the collection. If anyone is on the fence about getting it and still owns the original I'd recommend a pass on it. The waggle control is good, but not significantly better than the Wavebird. It's more of a lateral move, IMO. Both control schemes are good at what they do. I also like the reversable case artwork, it's a nice touch.

I don't recall ever finishing Pikmin 2, but I'm having a blast playing in the Pikmin world again, so I can honestly say I'd re-buy that one as well if it hits the states this year.

I might have to actually purchase World of Goo while I'm on a Wii kick. Who knows how long this will last.

I did see two dozen copies of WiiFit at Wal-Mart last night and gave it a brief moment's consideration before I just think back to all the people here that bought it and don't use it.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-14-09 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its been close to a year since I last bought a game for the Wii. I need something good to come out so my Wii doesn't collect much dust.
Old 05-15-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edytwinky
Its been close to a year since I last bought a game for the Wii. I need something good to come out so my Wii doesn't collect much dust.
It just so happens the game of which you speak arrives next week.

http://punchout.nintendo.com/
Old 05-15-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

MadWorld is on sell at gamespot for $29
Old 05-15-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does any one know why there so few Channels?

Is it that hard to develop a channel or is Nintendo the only one that can get it right (Mario Kart, Wii Fit...) ?

I dont get it. If you are developing a game on the Wii why not design some Channel interface/functionality.

There should be a PunchOut Channel so you can hookup with friends online, and punch them out. Worldwide rankings, tourneys, etc. Make it work with the WiiSpeak so you can taunt or chat.

Alot of missed opportunity here in not using all the latest features of the Wii when you release a game now. And for Nintendo to not be adding stuff like this into their own games is just unacceptable.
Old 05-15-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
MadWorld is on sell at gamespot for $29
Gamespot? the Review site?

I know you meant gamestop. It's confusing sometimes.
Old 05-15-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always always always type gamespot when I mean gamestop. It's kind of annoying.
Old 05-15-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So my Wii has been getting a workout this week. My 360 is starting to get jealous.

I also ran through Samba de Amigo over this past weekend. Pretty fun little game. I think the plastic maracas are way to bulky though. Did this game just tank? I don't recall seeing much hoopla about it. It's fun for what it is. Seems a little short though for a $50 price tag.

ExciteBots is still a blast, I just miss the custom soundtrack option that ExciteTruck had. I want to say it's more fun because of the tricks but some of the waggle is annoying and the 'in-race' mini-games like bowling, soccer and darts is rather lame.

I might have to actually purchase World of Goo while I'm on a Wii kick. Who knows how long this will last.

I did see two dozen copies of WiiFit at Wal-Mart last night and gave it a brief moment's consideration before I just think back to all the people here that bought it and don't use it.

I got samba de amigo a month ago and finished over the corse of a week on expert it was a blast but I had some friends over and we played for a loooong time those maracas got heavy as hell.

As for World of Goo awesome game I finished that over the corse of about 3 weeks playing every now and then but it was fantasic.
Old 05-15-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's no different than any other exercise program/item, to be honest.

If you can't commit to it without it, Wii Fit isn't a magic aid that will change that. But if you can keep up with it, it's a nice tool to have and has nice tracking of your weight and progress and the balance board is pretty sweet.
Old 05-15-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Wii Fit board will not make a good clothesline like our elliptical machine does. You need a fallback plan for your investment.
Old 05-15-09, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't use Wii Fit any more, but I still use the balance board (lately for Shaun White, and I plan to use it for Punch Out)
Old 05-16-09, 10:50 PM

I read that the balance board isn't very good with Punch-Out!! The new Tony Hawk will come with its own board. Now with Wii Motion Plus I can see even less games using the balance board.

Anyone planning on picking up EA Sports Active?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.