DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Official Wii thread -Part IX

This thread is still a thing?
Old 05-01-12, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Square/Enix has announced "Dragon Quest X" for the Wii, August 2nd in Japan. Looks like the Wii won't be dead after all...
Old 05-01-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^Bout time, been waiting on that one forever.
Old 05-15-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not to interrupt this hotbed of Wii activity, but it appears that Pikmin 2 will now see the light of day on June 10th. According to CAG it will be $19.99. I guess Nintendo figured it might be a good idea to release something this year.

I would have been all over it 4 years ago but it's a hard sell in the waning months of the Wii's life.
Old 05-15-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not to interrupt this hotbed of Wii activity, but it appears that Pikmin 2 will now see the light of day on June 10th. According to CAG it will be $19.99. I guess Nintendo figured it might be a good idea to release something this year.

I would have been all over it 4 years ago but it's a hard sell in the waning months of the Wii's life.
Indeed. Though I never got the reissued Pikmin 1, so I'm probably just full of shit.

It makes me wonder about what combination of games have to hit before I consider a Wii U. Pikmin 3 (or trilogy ) would be a good percentage of that.
Old 05-15-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice, I can't find the GameCube version anywhere cheap. I guess I'll pick up the Wii version.
Old 06-08-12, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FQPFv373L.jpg

I found at a local store what I think is the Wii that is BC with the gamecube games ?
The box looks like the above picture.

Are there any do's and don't that I should follow right from the beginning to ensure the longevity of the console and the accessories ?

e.g.
extended warranty -- This local store is part of a chain of stores and offers an extended warranty ($17) where you get one more year of support (just a console replacement, I think) from the store after the manufacturer's one year warranty expires. But since it sounds like many customers are reporting that their Wii's lasted several years, then I thought maybe this might be a waste of money.

batteries for the Wii remote -- I have Sanyo rechargeable AA and AAA. I read that Nintendo said that NiMH rechargeable batteries are alright to use ?

Gamecube memory card -- I found a post in this thread saying that Nintendo 1019 Gamecube memory card becomes corrupted while using it with the Wii. Is any Nintendo Gamecube memory with a smaller capacity less likely to become corrupted ? Is a non-Nintendo brand GC memory card any less likely to become corrupted ?

wiiconnect24 -- I came across comments that early in the Wii's life that leaving wiiconnect24 on all the time caused problems for the Wii ? So only leaving it on all the time causes problems ?
Old 06-23-12, 04:16 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FQPFv373L.jpg

I found at a local store what I think is the Wii that is BC with the gamecube games ?
The box looks like the above picture.
The one displayed in the pic is backwards compatible with the GCN.

Mario Kart Bundle is backwards compatible.

Super Mario Bros Wii is not backwards compatible.
Old 06-23-12, 04:25 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

A few weeks ago my Wii died (purchased in June '07; disc error kept popping up 9 times out of 10) so I bought a gently used Wii off Craigslist for $100 (it was a present for a 5yo who quickly lost interest and never played. The thing was nearly brand new - with a couple of scuffs - but came with an unscrathced game, the SMG2 CD, a wiimote, nunchuck, and a classic white controller).

It was a black Super Mario Bros Wii bundle but I'm selling the game to recoup some cost (and I already had it) and maybe the classic controller. So for around ~$70 (in the end) for a gently used one is fine by me.

Transferred a few saved games over and now I can finish Skyward Sword.

I knew going into it that this Wii is not backwards compatible, but I find it funny that the software still have all of the GCN related buttons, menus, etc. in there.

For kicks and giggles we put a GCN game in and it spit it right back out.

For those wondering, I didn't send my old one in to be repaired because I'm one of the few that is eager for the WiiU and when that's released I'll have my Downloaded Games moved over to that one.

Besides, the kids have the old white one to play their downloaded games on and I'll keep the new one safe.

That is all.
Old 09-17-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition came out yesterday. Mine just shipped from amazon. Should be a fun time.
Old 09-24-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely check the wiiware section, since barely anything is released anymore, but La Mulana is on there now. If you haven't played it before, I suggest grabbing it.