Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Wii thread -Part IX

I completely forgot about that heart-monitor. Has that seriously not been mentioned again?
Old 03-12-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee

I don't know. Nintendo's logic is beyond me at this point. Why does the USA not have a black version of the Wii yet?
It think it is out and its a Walmart exclusive bundle I believe. It looks really cool, but thanks to Nintendo's policy with WiiWare and DSiware I can't even consider getting a new Wii or the DSi XL that I actually want to buy.
Old 03-19-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking about getting a Wii soon for my kids but my oldest just turned 4 (my others are 2 and 4 months). Is 4 years too young for a Wii? Will she be able to grasp the controls? I've let her try my XB360 controller on some XBLA games (e.g., Feeding Frenzy 2) however she has a hard time with it. We're getting her the Leapster for Xmas and she's getting better controlling the mouse on some web based kid's games. Would the Nintendo DS be a better option over the Wii or a good compliment especially for road trips?

Thanks
Old 03-19-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

My two girls (3 & 5 1/2) have Leapsters and the oldest has expressed interest in a DS since her cousin(8) just got one. I'm hesitant though since she actually learns with the Leapster and imagine she won't want to go back once she has a DS.

In general she loves Peggle, Pac-Man, Feeding Frenzy, Wii Sports/Resort, & Carnival Games and has recently been loving New Super Mario Bros. Wii. She can get through most of World 1 by herself. When she was 4 though, we got her Go, Diego, Go for the Wii and that helped ease her into Mario.

Not sure if that helps, but there you go.
Old 03-19-10, 08:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 488 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Thinking about getting a Wii soon for my kids but my oldest just turned 4 (my others are 2 and 4 months). Is 4 years too young for a Wii? Will she be able to grasp the controls? I've let her try my XB360 controller on some XBLA games (e.g., Feeding Frenzy 2) however she has a hard time with it. We're getting her the Leapster for Xmas and she's getting better controlling the mouse on some web based kid's games. Would the Nintendo DS be a better option over the Wii or a good compliment especially for road trips?

Thanks
Although I used to play Marvel Vs Capcom on the Sega Saturn using an arcade stick with my daughter when she was around 4 (she's 16 now) using the handicap system, I wouldn't get a system just for the kids at that age.

I'd recommend stick with the Jumpstart/Reader Rabbit Kindergarten/First Grade PC games, and sit with them on the computer and teach them the alphabet, math, shapes, colors, reading, etc. That's a much more efficient way to entertain a small child and will provide the foundation for the rest of their life. Wait until they ask for a system (probably around age 8 to 10) to get something.
Old 03-26-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,426 Likes on 4,393 Posts

I still can't find a Wii Fit Plus wih Balance Board anywhere. I understand if demand outpaces supply, but it's like nobody is making these any more. How on earth can such a big selling item be in such short supply? Did they run out of plastic in Japan?

Also, I'm disappointed to find Metroid Prime Trilogy out of print. That's a game that you'd think they'd want to continue to sell as a "Platinum Hits" catalog-type game, even if they dropped the metal case. Anyone still see it in stores?
Old 03-26-10, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say Wii racing games suck. I played Excite Truck and was just playing Nitro Bike, this motion control gimmick to stear is bullshit.
Old 03-26-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hogwash. Excite Truck & Excite Bots are two of the most fun racers this generation. It took a bit to get used to the motion, but I enjoy both of those over Burnout Paradise.
Old 03-26-10, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Also, I'm disappointed to find Metroid Prime Trilogy out of print. That's a game that you'd think they'd want to continue to sell as a "Platinum Hits" catalog-type game, even if they dropped the metal case. Anyone still see it in stores?
Even though I bought mine when they had a big sale before christmas...I still see copies here and there, like at Wally or Best Buy. It's sparse, like one or two copies so I would try to find it now; especially if you want it in the steelbook. I could see it coming back but not as the nice limited edition.
Old 03-26-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 353 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hogwash. Excite Truck & Excite Bots are two of the most fun racers this generation. It took a bit to get used to the motion, but I enjoy both of those over Burnout Paradise.
+1

And I would add Mario Kart as well, though maybe I'm stating the obvious. For arcade-style racing, the Wii is king. Racing simulators are best on other consoles though.
Old 03-26-10, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
+1

And I would add Mario Kart as well, though maybe I'm stating the obvious. For arcade-style racing, the Wii is king. Racing simulators are best on other consoles though.
I've heard that Sonic Kart Racer game isn't bad either. However, I would probably have to get the 360 version rather than Wii though.
Old 03-26-10, 04:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Got my Netflix Wii disc in the mail today, haven't got a chance to try it out.
Old 03-26-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Got my Netflix Wii disc in the mail today, haven't got a chance to try it out.
I have! My wife and I just streamed Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It looked and sounded great! There came one moment near the end where it appeared that the stream was interrupted, but given that our router is a step below Flintstones-quality technology, I can't blame Netflix/Wii for it. (Seriously, I would rather have a Jurassic-era critter fly between my computer and the computer whose server I am accessing than rely on this router.)
Old 03-30-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Netflix Wii disc still hasnt shipped

So how does the disc work? Does it come as a game on the console menu? Does it show your instant que to select a movie from?
Old 03-30-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cseyer
My Netflix Wii disc still hasnt shipped

So how does the disc work? Does it come as a game on the console menu? Does it show your instant que to select a movie from?
I haven't received mine either, but it seems to work kind of like the PS3 one from videos of it I have watched. You launch the disc just like a normal Wii game and it will give you a code to enter to register your Wii. Then it loads your instant que and you scroll through and select your movie.
Old 03-30-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just reading through the thread casually, and you had me up until the last two words.

My thought process was basically..."Hell yeah! Wait. What?"

Burnout Paradise is the best arcade racing game ever. Period. Where to start?: Cool open world, tricks, easter egg hunts, road rules, custom sountrack, awesome crashes, crazy online freeburn challenges...literally hundreds of hours of content.

I thought Excite Truck was underrated, and I had a ton of fun with it, but it was ultimately supplanted by Pure and then Motorstorm Pacific Rift for my off-road arcade racing fix.
Old 03-30-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Just reading through the thread casually, and you had me up until the last two words.

Burnout Paradise is the best arcade racing game ever. Period. Where to start?: Cool open world, tricks, easter egg hunts, road rules, custom sountrack, awesome crashes, crazy online freeburn challenges...literally hundreds of hours of content.
Corvin gave up on Burnout Paradise just a bit after it first came out, and hasn't bothered with it after all the awesome updates, which have made the game exponentially better than when it first came out. It really is a completely better game in every way than what was shipped to stores on the disc - not to mention, re-starts!
Old 03-30-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Burnout Paradise is the best arcade racing game ever.
Not even close. My utter hatred for the abomination that is Paradise is well known. Hell, forget ExciteTruck and ExciteBots, I'd even put ExciteBike: World Rally over Paradise.

Basically it just boils down to: Paradise = Great Racing Game but terrible Burnout game. And yeah, I didn't wait around a year for them to improve it.
Old 03-30-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burnout Paradise is not Burnout...it is some other open racing game.
Old 03-30-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I admit that I didn't jump in until they added restarts, as I was very turned off by the demo, so I probably had a much different initial impression than Corvin.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail...was just taken aback a bit. Excite Truck was very very fun and is highly recommended...though I would say that Pure (very similar concept) is better.
Old 03-30-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorite games of the decade.
Old 03-30-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Excite Truck was very very fun and is highly recommended...though I would say that Pure (very similar concept) is better.
Pure is awesome, but it comes down to racing vs. tricks. If you want speed, you can't beat the Excite series. If you prefer SSX style tricks then go for Pure.
Old 04-02-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my Netflix Wii disc last night. So far color me impressed. The interface was quick and intuitive. The video quality was superior to prior experience on Wii using PlayOn, very watchable even the Starz Play stuff (although clearly less resolution).
Old 04-07-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got an email this morning from Amazon saying that the Wii Fit Plus w/ Balance Board is in stock.....$99. I know people have been having a hard time finding these lately.
Old 04-07-10, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google and Nintendo seem intent of creating the most boring game for Wii yet.

http://mynintendonews.com/2010/04/07...game-together/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.