Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well, I sunk a couple hours into Okami last night. Let me start off by saying I went with the Wii version because of the 16:9 and progressive over the PS2. If the game is all about the art direction and design, why not get the version that best represents what the designers were going for and get the most beautiful version, right? I figure I can deal will the average controls that reviewers have bequeathed on the Wii version.

Well a couple hours in and I love the game. I knew nothing of the game other than it had a wolf, you paint, the game is beautiful, plays like Zelda and it got heaps of praise. I'd never even really seen a screenshot. I can't wait to play more.

I was hoping the reviewers were wrong on the controls, but sadly I was mistaken. They are very hit or miss. Painting seems to be okay, it is the attack/slice that is very uneven. Just when I think I've got it down, it doesn't work. I think it has to do with depth of your stroke though(i.e. how close you are to the screen). If I pulled back before I sliced, I got a real thin slice which worked well, but then it didn't. Very weird. It took me about 10 minutes to slice down the fruit/village at the very beginning, frustrating, but that's when I realized there was depth to the brush stroke. Oh, well, not bad enough to kill the game yet.
Old 05-21-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
The was when the idea was a little fresh, but they proceeded to run it as far into the ground as possible. Even Twilight Princess is a bit of a light and dark world game, but thankfully does not stick you with that limitation for too long.
Interesting. Please name the numerous Nintendo developed games not named Link to the Past or Metroid Prime 2 that had this particular feature that would indicate "they proceeded to run it as far into the ground as possible."
Old 05-21-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well, I sunk a couple hours into Okami last night. Let me start off by saying I went with the Wii version because of the 16:9 and progressive over the PS2. If the game is all about the art direction and design, why not get the version that best represents what the designers were going for and get the most beautiful version, right? I figure I can deal will the average controls that reviewers have bequeathed on the Wii version.

Well a couple hours in and I love the game. I knew nothing of the game other than it had a wolf, you paint, the game is beautiful, plays like Zelda and it got heaps of praise. I'd never even really seen a screenshot. I can't wait to play more.

I was hoping the reviewers were wrong on the controls, but sadly I was mistaken. They are very hit or miss. Painting seems to be okay, it is the attack/slice that is very uneven. Just when I think I've got it down, it doesn't work. I think it has to do with depth of your stroke though(i.e. how close you are to the screen). If I pulled back before I sliced, I got a real thin slice which worked well, but then it didn't. Very weird. It took me about 10 minutes to slice down the fruit/village at the very beginning, frustrating, but that's when I realized there was depth to the brush stroke. Oh, well, not bad enough to kill the game yet.
I still need to break in to my copy of Okami. I've been too busy with Kart and Brawl though.
Old 05-21-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Interesting. Please name the numerous Nintendo developed games not named Link to the Past or Metroid Prime 2 that had this particular feature that would indicate "they proceeded to run it as far into the ground as possible."
I know I have noticed it in several games after Link to the Past. It was the reason I refused to play MP2 after trying the demo and it was my least favorite part of Twilight Princess. I know Nintendo has used variations of it before. Super Paper Mario for instance has a variation of it. Maybe any other games I am thinking of where it is used are from other developers. Lunar Knights and Ikuruga are essentially light and dark world games when you get down to the basics of their gameplay.
Old 05-21-08, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I know I have noticed it in several games after Link to the Past. It was the reason I refused to play MP2 after trying the demo and it was my least favorite part of Twilight Princess. I know Nintendo has used variations of it before. Super Paper Mario for instance has a variation of it. Maybe any other games I am thinking of where it is used are from other developers. Lunar Knights and Ikuruga are essentially light and dark world games when you get down to the basics of their gameplay.
I have never played it, but didn't Majora's Mask for the N64 have light/dark worlds?

Was Castlevania II: Simon's Quest on the NES one of the first major releases to use the light/dark world concept?
Old 05-21-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
I have never played it, but didn't Majora's Mask for the N64 have light/dark worlds?

Was Castlevania II: Simon's Quest on the NES one of the first major releases to use the light/dark world concept?
Yeah Castlavania II was kind of the first one I can remember to do something like this. Pixie is making the point that Nintendo didn't run the concept into the ground or overuse it and the more I think of it they really didn't. I think they probably did it so well in Link to the Past that anytime I saw any kind of variation of it again no matter how minor I thought back to that game.

That said I really never want to see it used again especially the annoying way it was used in MP2.
Old 05-21-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A day/night cycle is totally different than the parallel world concept.

But when you're nitpicking to that level, it's probably all the same.
Old 05-21-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by steebo777
I still need to break in to my copy of Okami. I've been too busy with Kart and Brawl though.
Just dropped another hour into it on my lunch break. Man it is an awesome game. I think I may have figured out the attack/slash.

I'm taking a break from Kart, GTA & Boom Blox myself.
Old 05-21-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
No.

CVII didn't use it.
Old 05-21-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right, in CVII didn't the enimies get stronger at night? Also, I think some characters only came out at night. But, please, no world dark worlds where you energy is constantly draining and you have to wait in patches of light for your energy to recover enough to explore.
Old 05-21-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Day/Night cylces != Light/Dark parallel worlds.
Old 05-22-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I thought it was just a simple plug n play. now I find all this:

Things to remember while connecting Wii LAN Adapter.

* Connect your ethernet cable directly from your broadband modem or wired router. If you are using modem, unplug the cable temporarily to the computer while connecting Wii console online.

* With power turned off, insert the Wii LAN Adapter into the USB port on the back of the Wii console.

* Connect an ethernet cord from your wired modem or broadband router to the ethernet port on the Wii LAN Adapter.

* Now, turn on the Wii console and follow the steps below to configure the internet connection settings.

Does this seem right? From what I know, next to nothing, it shouldn't matter what order they're connected in. Looks like I'll be trying this order out tonight.....most likely to no avail. Here's the link I got it from:

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_c...i_LAN_Adapter_

well, believe it or not, this didn't work. I guess I'll try to get a wireless/wired modem from my Comcast (if they offer them). I think the problem of setting it up will still exist though. Brother just wants to play Mario Kart online. You'd think if xbox360 has plug-n-play internet that Nintendo would have something. Shit.

Old 05-22-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I don't get how the picture relates to the post at all, but the juxtaposition makes me laugh.

Seriously, man, take that LAN adapter back. If you can't get a modem with a wireless router built in from Comcast, just get a cheap-o router. You don't even have to have a computer to configure it, but it would be open to everyone to hop onto if you care about that sort of thing (something tells me you don't )
Old 05-22-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nintendo specifically states that many DSL modems are NOT compatible with a WiiLAN setup. They recommend you use a router if using a DSL modem.
Old 05-22-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, the problem is that I've never set up a router. I think I can borrow a laptop to set up one and return the lan thing. what is recommended for the WiiLAN setup then? anyone recommend one that I have a shot at getting to work? folks, the quicker I'm up and running, the sooner I'll stop posting all these questions.
Old 05-22-08, 04:02 PM

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...-sales-record/

Wii smashes PS2 software sales record

Posted May 22nd 2008 2:00PM
by Chris Greenhough

The folks in Nintendo's PR department, gawd bless 'em, have milked yet another statistic from the Wii's early success: according to the firm, approximately 50 million games were sold during the console's first 18 months on the market -- and that's not including Wii Sports or Virtual Console releases.

This, declared Nintendo of America's Cammie Dunaway, compared favorably to the PlayStation 2, which Nintendo claims sold only 42 million units in its opening 18 months, the Xbox 360 (around 30 million), the first Xbox (28 million), and the PlayStation 3 (20 million). No mention of the Dreamcast, we notice. Got something to hide, Nintendo? Okay, well probably not.

"While we appreciate the impact the Playstation 2 had on sales and the industry, perhaps we are even more impactful," remarked Dunaway.
Chris
Old 05-22-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
It is impressive, but obviously skewed by Wii Play.
Old 05-22-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not skewed a whole lot (6 million or so Wii play)...I think the biggest factor is the number of consoles sold, ~11 million in 18 months. Take out Wii Play and the attach ratio is 4:1 (4.5:1 with it)

Figuring the PS3 has sold ~ 5 million, the attach ratio is also 4:1.

At this time last year, the 360 sold ~ 6 million, the attach ratio was 5:1

(The PS2 sold ~10 million at 18 months, ratio of 4.2:1, Xbox ~5.8 million, ratio 4.8:1)

*Numbers taken from VGChartz
Old 05-28-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
That can't be. We have been told that the Wii attach rate is atrocious, and people don't play anything but Wii Sports, and that only for a month.
Old 05-29-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
That can't be. We have been told that the Wii attach rate is atrocious, and people don't play anything but Wii Sports, and that only for a month.
I know! It is almost like the people telling us this don't really know what they are talking about.
Old 05-30-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
yeah, the problem is that I've never set up a router. I think I can borrow a laptop to set up one and return the lan thing. what is recommended for the WiiLAN setup then? anyone recommend one that I have a shot at getting to work? folks, the quicker I'm up and running, the sooner I'll stop posting all these questions.

alright, I broke down and am buying a computer (now my job will want me to work from home on weekends). anyway, it's being built so I should be up and running in a week or two. I guess I'll still have to get a router since I don't think the machine I am having built has wireless card....although I could just install that myself.
Old 06-02-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up a Wii last week: how critical is it to get an SD card? How big are the older games you can download (like Sonic)?
Old 06-02-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You don't need an SD card at all. You can't put VC games on it. The only thing you can use it for right now is custom soundtracks (Excite Truck, Endless Ocean, etc)
Old 06-02-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.
Old 06-02-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chew, do you realize you have: What PS3 Game I'm Playing: Super Mario Galaxy in you sig?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.