Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Old 07-21-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to get into the mindset of Frank, you need the tension of time limits and a single save. Frank's covered wars, y'know.
Old 07-21-08, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
So a third-party developer has apparently come out with a new accessory known as the Wiibrator, which uses the Wii's vibrating function to do exactly what you think:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...tor-motio.html
Old 07-21-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I don't know. The 360 one was frustrating as hell with the time limit and save system. I know the Wii version is dropping the time limit and if they also give you multiple saves this could be a fun game. It won't be the same experience as the 360 one, but it could still be good. They will have to find a way though to make the zombie battles fun when you are only fighting a tenth the number of them.
I guess. The save system was pretty bunk, multiple saves would have been fantastic. The time-limit thing gave urgency and challenge to what you were doing. I imagine without a time limit it will be rather easy to save people(as if a lack of zombies won't help either). Just sounds like they are severely dumbing it down.
Old 07-23-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Wii Photo Service
- print photos online
- order business cards with your Mii

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080723/..._fujifilm_dc_1

I wonder if they will charge a premium for printing through the Wii.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 07-24-08 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting, although nothing too useful for me.
Old 07-23-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would be a neat upgrade to the Photo Channel.

They need to be working on an upgrade to the Mii Channel tho. There needs to be more styles and choices and such. Have stuff you can purchase even to dress up your Mii. It would be such a simple upgrade and people will eat it up.
Old 07-23-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
They need to be working on an upgrade to the Mii Channel tho. There needs to be more styles and choices and such. Have stuff you can purchase even to dress up your Mii. It would be such a simple upgrade and people will eat it up.
It would be neat if you could unlock special Mii items by playing games. Maybe tie them to achievements.
Old 07-24-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure why they arent working on updating the Wii menu and Channels. If they dont have any hardcore games to announce at least they can refresh the system itself.

I did hear that they are working on a way to make adding friends and codes easier so maybe they are working on something there.
Old 07-24-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

FWIW, on the latest 1up podcast one of the guys mentioned that he flat out asked Miyamoto at E3 if he was working on Pikmin 3. The answer was a resounding yes.
Old 07-24-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a trailer for the new Digital Photo Channel:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=50190

Looks really cool. I wouldn't mind printing out some Mii business cards.
Old 07-25-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Reggie
We have said publicly that we're looking hard at the storage situation, that we're working on a range of solutions. We have nothing to announce now. But certainly it's an issue we are aware of and we're working to find a solution and we will. We have a consumer base who loves virtual console. We have a user base who really is enjoying WiiWare content.

So for us really our challenge really is how do we satisfy all these consumers who are loving all of the product we make available on a download basis? As we continue to have things, as you point out, like 'Mario Kart' that has its own channel when you're playing from an Internet perspective, we're just making this challenge tougher and tougher. So in our view this is becoming much more of a mainstream problem, which is why we have a sense of urgency to solve it.
Old 07-26-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone been able to find Mario Kart in stores? I have been all over the place and haven't had any luck. What really pissed me off was the gamestop had the boxes on the shelf, and when my son took the box to the counter the bitch behind it only said "no no no no no". Why the hell would you put the box out if you have none to sell?
Old 07-26-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

for some reason, the Best Buy I bought mine from had them stored on a rack behind the customer service counter.
Old 07-27-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Want a Wii for the holidays? No promises, Nintendo says

After nearly two years on the market, you'd think it'd be getting easier to score a Nintendo Wii. But the red-hot console is still tough to find, and Nintendo execs say they can't promise a healthy supply for the coming holiday season.

Nintendo's CEO says that demand for the Wii in the U.S. is "unusually high" compared to Europe and Asia, according to Forbes.com. And while Nintendo is on track to crank out 2.4 million Wii consoles this year, that may not be enough to satisfy stateside gamers, Forbes reports.

Here's the quote from Nintento CEO Satoru Iwata: "We are really intending to increase the shipments to the U.S., especially compared to last year ... However, I can't give you a 100% commitment [that you'll be able to find a Wii this holiday season]." Ugh.

Based on the latest numbers, Iwata's probably right to hedge his bets. Nintendo sold a whopping 666,700 Wiis in the U.S. last month, and the console just passed the Xbox 360 in terms of total sales.

Meanwhile, this online Wii stock tracker doesn't paint a pretty picture. On Wednesday morning, the Wii was sold out at Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, eToys, Kmart, Sears, Target, and Wal-Mart, while Buy.com and Newegg had only Wii bundles in stock.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/25198

-Why cant nintendo have another factory to make more wiis? They know theres a huge demand for the system. Or are they intentionally making the inventory small so more people will want a wii? Its like that southpark episode when Cartman buys an amusement park, kicks everyone out and then slowly allows more people in everyday.
Old 07-27-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mhg83
-Why cant nintendo have another factory to make more wiis? They know theres a huge demand for the system.
Another factory would have to be built and employees hired. Neither of which is free. When you are rolling in dough it's tough to let go of the purse strings. Plus demand isn't going anywhere, so why waste the money for a temporary fix?
Old 07-27-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
-Why cant nintendo have another factory to make more wiis? They know theres a huge demand for the system. Or are they intentionally making the inventory small so more people will want a wii? Its like that southpark episode when Cartman buys an amusement park, kicks everyone out and then slowly allows more people in everyday.
That is the same tired old argument that makes no sense at all. Nintendo is selling more Wiis than Sony sells PS3s and Microsoft sells XBox360s and Nintendo is intentionally making the inventory "small"?

When the Wii was first launched, nobody thought it would be a seller. Many here thought that you could stroll into any store on launch day and pick one off the self.

After the first 6 months, people were saying that it was a fad and it would die out. But these same people claimed that Nintendo should open another factory to keep up with demand. That makes no sense for a "fad" item.

Then Christmas 07 rolls around and it is still THE item to get for the 2nd year in a row (has that ever happened before?). No one thought it would remain this much in demand a year later. Should Nintendo open another factory when demand might be on the verge of peaking?

Demand for the Wii is still white-hot. But Nintendo doesn't know how long it will last. It doesn't make sense to open up factories now when the demand could subside after this holiday season.

At this point Nintendo can't do anything other than ride it out and re-allocate inventory to better reflect demand.
Old 07-27-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I feel guilty now. My Wii is collecting dust for the 4th or 5th month in a row and there are people still desperate to buy one.

I've still got my original box and packing materials, I wonder if nice price gouging is in order for Christmans '08?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-27-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Or are they intentionally making the inventory small so more people will want a wii? .

Are people still hanging onto this theory? People are only buying Wiis because want one, because no one else can get one. You do realize that the Wii is usually outselling the PS360 combined right?

People can find Wiis, you just have to work a little at it.
Old 07-27-08, 01:35 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
And while Nintendo is on track to crank out 2.4 million Wii consoles this year, that may not be enough to satisfy stateside gamers
That's a major typo. Certainly they mean 24 million Wiis, not 2.4 million, since last I heard they manufacture 2 million each month.
Old 07-27-08, 01:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Are people still hanging onto this theory? People are only buying Wiis because want one, because no one else can get one. You do realize that the Wii is usually outselling the PS360 combined right?
Blogga, please! If the Sony and Microsoft limited supply, their sales would SKYROCKET way above Nintendos. However, they are above such shady business practices, and as such are paying the price.
Old 07-27-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish they would make more Mario Kart Wiis. Shit - I'm striking out all over the place, and I refuse to be gouged and pay $20+ over retail prices. Guess I need to watch when TRU or other places get Wii consoles in and hope they get some MK in as well.
Old 07-27-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Mario Karts are hard to find? I found one a few days before it's release date, and never looked back. I don't see why this game would be hard to find - unless they can't crank out those wheels fast enough. And just like my Wii, I never play Mario Kart either, and yet I have one. Actually I do play with my Wii, but it's mostly VC stuff - which is pretty pathetic.
Old 07-27-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had no idea MK was scarce. I picked it up release week as well. Played it for a few weeks and now it sits.

Unlike slop however, my Wii is getting some action this week thanks to a RROD on Microsoft's part. I jumped back into Okami. Brilliant fucking game. I had some early control issues, but with the learning curve over I couldn't recommend this game enough. It's the best console Zelda game in years.

I hadn't played it since mid-May so I was lost jumping back into it. I wandered around for about an hour before giving in and glancing at a walkthough to figure out where the hell I left off. I'm back on track now and according to the guide I'm roughly halfway through the game at around 16 hours. Still a long way to go.
Old 07-27-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
yes, Mario Kart has been sold out everywhere for quite awhile now.
Old 07-27-08, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
yes, Mario Kart has been sold out everywhere for quite awhile now.
You see, proof positive that Nintendo is limiting quantities to create demand!

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.