Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So did anyone have to do an Update after putting the MP disc in? I put the disc in and it didn't show up on the game channel. So I clicked the channel and a "Initiating System Update" window popped up. The the game showed up in the channel after the screen rebooted.

I wonder what that was about?
I seem to recall another game doing that for some... Super Paper Mario, perhaps? There was a regular blue va-jay-jay update just before it released and some people didn't get the game update because of that.
Old 08-28-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Darn game!! Wrist is sore from all the killing!

I have to admit, that the graphics get a lot better after you leave the space station. That's for sure. It's no GoW, but it is pretty and runs nice and smooth.

Grappling is all sorts of fun, Half Life's gravity gun would be fun to control with Wii controls.

Well, back to killin' and scanning!
Old 08-28-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
So far it's been interesting. I can't say I'm blown away but it's kinda growing on me. The movements for simple shit like grabbing handles and turning them is fun.
Old 08-28-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I didn't think I'd do it but I picked this game up on an impulse. I was in Gamestop and they had copies so I did it. After I eat I'm going to pop it in and see what the deal is. I have Metroid Prime and based on the controls it's ok. I'm hoping this game made for the Wii controls will be good.
Ha, I didn't think I'd buy it today either but I did. I went to a WalMart on my lunch break and noticed that they had one copy of the game in stock, and because of that I decided to buy it. If I had saw, say, five or ten of the games, or maybe even just two, I wouldn't have bought it today. Yes, it's weird, I know.

I can't believe that I bought this before Bioshock. I'm just a huge Wii fan, and to be honest, I think I'd rather have a really good Wii game than a really good game on any other system. I just love Wii controls, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

So far I've played though the first part or two, and I'm now at the part where:

Spoiler:
I just got the grapple, and I just got to the part where you call your ship after that other guy helps you out.

The controls are fantastic, so I can't wait to dive right into the game even more soon.

I wasn't a huge fan of the two GC Metroid games, but the Wii controls will be enough to keep me playing to the end this time.
Old 08-29-07, 04:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been playing for about an hour and a half now, and so far I'm loving it. The entire intro sequence (or first mission if you like) already have some of the most exciting moments in the series. And the controls are pretty great. I'm not super crazy about how you access scan mode, but I've learned to live with it.

My only issue is that after cutscenes for some reason, no matter how you're holding the Wii remote, the targeting reticle goes into a corner and your view goes with it, forcing you to readjust, which takes a few seconds. Not the worst problem in the world, but still annoying.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-29-07 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well I didn't think I'd do it but I picked this game up on an impulse.
Ditto. With Bioshock, the new PS3 and Halo around the corner I figured I'd be set for quite a while. Anyway I had some returns last night at Toys R Us that netted me $32, so how could I resist?
Old 08-29-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've been playing for about an hour and a half now, and so far I'm loving it. The entire intro sequence (or first mission if you like) already have some of the most exciting moments in the series. And the controls are pretty great. I'm not super crazy about how you access scan mode, but I've learned to live with it.
I hated the introduction sequence. I'm not really a fan of forced narrative in a Metroid game, it doesn't feel right. On the plus side, once you get past that, it does seem to shift into pure Metroid goodness. The controls are spot-on, as I figured they'd be. I've already found a bunch of hidden items using the trick from the past game (hint: you can hear hidden items). The boss battles thus far have been insane as well, super exciting. The 3D Zelda and Metroid games easily have the best boss battles in all of video gaming. The grappling hook is awesome, that's the reason I love Wii controls when they're done right because you just FEEL like you tearing off the bastard's shield.

Whoever was whining that this one was going to be more of an FPS now was dead wrong. Other than being able to free-look while you move, it's about as much of an FPS as the first two Prime games were.. and you can still use the full lock-on control scheme if you don't want to focus on aiming. I'd go as far to say that all the added cut-scenes and character interactions take it far more away from Metroid than the perspective or controls ever could have, but that's just me.

On a side note, the female hunter calling Samus "Sammy" was a bit funny/disturbing for me, since that's my girlfriend's nickname.
Old 08-29-07, 08:26 AM
Banned by request

I had no problems with the intro. It's in line with the established Metroid universe (Samus being part of a group of hunters who do missions for the Federation that their normal soldiers can't) and I really liked the design of the ships and the other hunters.

Would you mind posting the full trick for the hidden items in a spoiler?
Old 08-29-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not really a spoiler. You can HEAR items, they emit a humming noise. You'll hear it when you're near an item, hidden or not. Once you know the sound, it'll alert you that there's an item in a room and the general proximity of it, as the sound increases the closer you are.
Old 08-29-07, 08:37 AM
Banned by request

Ah. I'll have to prick my ears up next time I play.
Old 08-29-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I never knew that about the sound. I'm going to have to pay attention when I finally get this game.
Old 08-29-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be in the minority here. While I love the controls, I often find myself lost. I'm about 4 hours in and there have been a few times where I had no idea what I had to do next. I read the log but it doesn't help. I hope I get the hang of it soon.
Old 08-29-07, 10:58 AM
Banned by request

Welcome to Metroid. It's very much a series that relies on the player getting creative to find the next step, instead of just announcing "Hey, here's the next bit!"
Old 08-29-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Old 08-29-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome to Metroid. It's very much a series that relies on the player getting creative to find the next step, instead of just announcing "Hey, here's the next bit!"
Yea but when the next step is on a totally different planet...how the hell am I supposed to know that? I don't mind trying to figure out the puzzles but when I'm lost and have no idea what I need to do next (especially when the next step is on a totally different planet - I had to read a walkthrough to find that out) it gets VERY frustrating.

I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. I'm still having fun playing it. And I'm not asking that the game be clear cut on what needs to be done, but I would like to have an idea of what I need to do next, or at least know what area it has to be done in.
Old 08-29-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
thats always been metroid's "thing", you get a new ability that allows you to get to new places, but you have to find the places to use them (Metroidvania also uses this).

I can understand your frustration, but having played through a lot of the series, it really is expected.
Old 08-29-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by firteen88
I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. I'm still having fun playing it. And I'm not asking that the game be clear cut on what needs to be done, but I would like to have an idea of what I need to do next, or at least know what area it has to be done in.
You have a good map system. Typically, when you get a new major item and are at a loss of what to do next, the best course of action is to check your map for doors you haven't been through yet. I've beaten the previous two Prime games, 100%, with no FAQs and the in-game hint system turned off and that's usually the best thing to check when you're wondering where you need to go.
Old 08-29-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Spoiler:
Good call. I was thinking Silver Surfer, but your reference is more accurate.

Originally Posted by firteen88
Yea but when the next step is on a totally different planet...how the hell am I supposed to know that? I don't mind trying to figure out the puzzles but when I'm lost and have no idea what I need to do next (especially when the next step is on a totally different planet - I had to read a walkthrough to find that out) it gets VERY frustrating.

There's a hint system that was in Echoes (and possibly the first Metroid Prime) that's in Corruption as well. It's on by default, but I turned it off. The way it works (at least in Echoes) is that if you spend too long without accomplishing something, you'll get a prompt on the screen, and you can hit a button to show the next objective on your map.
Old 08-29-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this game a first-person shooter?

Sorry, I know next to 0 about Metroid.
Old 08-29-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really loving this game so far. I'm about 3 hours in and there have been some amazing sequences already. On another note, am I the only one who can't get the excellent title screen music out of their head?

Last edited by UncleGramps; 08-29-07 at 01:35 PM. Reason: stupid grammar
Old 08-29-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toad
Is this game a first-person shooter?
You can think of it as a sci-fi Zelda game that's played in the first perspective.
Old 08-29-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
If there's "problem" with the game is that sometimes the doors don't open immediately after you shoot them (because the area behind it is still loading), so you turn around before it opens, assuming it's locked/inaccessible, and run in circles, looking for another way to go that doesn't exist.
Old 08-29-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I'm really loving this game so far. I'm about 3 hours in and there have been some amazing sequences already. On another note, am I the only one who can't get the excellent title screen music out of their head?
I played for about five hours last night when I should have done two, three max. I was actually going to comment that the music hasn't been catching me as much as the last two game's excellent soundtracks have and couple of times I felt an aural treat, it ended up being reused tracks from the last two games (like the phazon theme). I did enjoy one of the boss battle themes though, which was new.

I'll focus on the title theme when I pop it in tonight though.
Old 08-29-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
If there's "problem" with the game is that sometimes the doors don't open immediately after you shoot them (because the area behind it is still loading), so you turn around before it opens, assuming it's locked/inaccessible, and run in circles, looking for another way to go that doesn't exist.
That sounds like user error. Just kidding.

Seriously though, if you're actually encountering this often.. there's a lot to clue you in on what doors are accessible or not. First and foremost is that the door actually animates half open once you shoot it before it opens fully after loading and any door not in a loading phase will have some kind of colored lights on or around it (at least, thus far) and the last resort is that a quick scan should tell you which doors are truly locked for you if you're not sure.
Old 08-29-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm not saying that would happen often - just once or twice throughout the whole game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.