Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 11:47 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
i replayed the Bryyo mission last night, after getting the missile and energy tank upgrade, i went back and saved the game. Call me chicken, but i can't play the game too long... Seriously, MP3 should have something like Zelda TP, the ugly looking duck that tell you it's okay to take a break (and save the game too)...
I'm with you 100% on everything you've said here, and throughout the thread. I don't think my feet are even wet in this game yet (I think I'm headed to Bryyo Fire next), but I have the same criticisms. I feel like I might not beat this game until 2012. That pisses me off, because I really want to! I enjoy playing it, and the graphics, control, sound, and level design is amazing. Still, I just can't get used to all the platforming in the first person perspective. Jumping from here to there and then from there to here makes for a short session of game time. In fact I'd probably play even less if I could find a fucking save point more often. I fear, but hope not, that this will be the third straight Metroid Prime game that I abandon prematurely.
Old 10-11-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IIG, at least you're a bit ahead of me... I strongly recommend you read the walkthrough first, this way you can speed things up a bit (spoilers, but i usually read a little at a time, so they are kept at the minimum level). I used this tactic beat SPM in three weeks (i played an hour here and there, hey, i got other responsibilities).

I was told by Groucho, more jumping on the way... oh well... chances are i might abandon my mission completely, since so many new games in November and early next year....
Old 10-11-07, 01:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Jumping tip: the longer you hold down the button, the farther you jump. Can make the difference between "almost" making it and landing smoothly.

As for save points, earlier in this thread I complained about the spacing of the save points in the first Metroid Prime. I didn't have that issue with this game. At any point in time, you should never be more than 10 minutes away from the nearest save point.
Old 10-11-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've sent friend vouchers to the following peeps, feel free to shoot me back some if you get a chance:
Brent L (~): 2363 8975 3414 4280
Eric D (~): 5191 8938 1932 2002
Jamezuva (~): 6215 0196 8860 7294
jediwicz (~): 6284 8019 3479 4288
keit2208 (~): 2108 7904 3542 1724
pinata242 (~): 5677 8742 0066 2004
porieux (~): 7250 1739 1574 6068

The Refresher, I'll add you tonight (assuming I don't forget). Add me in too if you could.
Old 10-15-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished my first runthrough...took about 21 hours...really took my time and savored the game. I didn't use any assists and ended up at 92%. Corruption was a beautiful game and a lot of fun. It took me quite a while to adapt to the advanced controls, but once I did, the control was amazing...a real paradigm shift for first person games on console. The length and difficulty are such that I could very well see myself coming back for a few more runs through the game.

My only gripes are that most of the pickups turned out to be worthless. The ship's missiles didn't seem to have any impact other than increasing your percentage, missiles aren't really NEEDED to fight any enemies, and the power cells turn out to be worthless in the end. I would like to have seen a charge-beam and missile combo.

I never played with the tokens...may have to look into that...though I can't see them adding anything to the game really.

The reviews between 9.2 and 9.5 were about right...top notch entertainment with a few very minor faults.
Old 10-17-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Call me a quitter but:

Spoiler:
I made it all the way through Phaaze. I defeated Dark Samus and the first part of the Aurora Unit. However, the second part killed me and now they sent me back to face Dark Samus. I didn't have time or the energy to try it again so now I have to start all the way back from the beginning of Phaaze with that unnecessary and unskippable cut scene. I may give it one more try and if I don't make it then I might move for now. I have another game waiting for me and I'll revisit Metroid to finish it off at a later date.
Old 10-17-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
Call me a quitter but:

Spoiler:
I made it all the way through Phaaze. I defeated Dark Samus and the first part of the Aurora Unit. However, the second part killed me and now they sent me back to face Dark Samus. I didn't have time or the energy to try it again so now I have to start all the way back from the beginning of Phaaze with that unnecessary and unskippable cut scene. I may give it one more try and if I don't make it then I might move for now. I have another game waiting for me and I'll revisit Metroid to finish it off at a later date.

I hear ya man. I'm not even that far and I'm having a hard time starting up again. As I mentioned previously, RE4 is just about all I play on my Wii right now.
Old 11-05-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm at the boss Mogenar. This is the type of boss that kills the game for me. I am too busy to commit an hour to fighting a boss only to lose. Frustrating. I may be playing Half Life OB sooner than expected.
Old 11-05-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
I'm at the boss Mogenar. This is the type of boss that kills the game for me. I am too busy to commit an hour to fighting a boss only to lose. Frustrating. I may be playing Half Life OB sooner than expected.
Like all Metroid bosses, once you figure out how to beat him, he's not too bad. I remember being frustrated the first time as well, but the second time was a cinch.
Old 11-05-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Like all Metroid bosses, once you figure out how to beat him, he's not too bad. I remember being frustrated the first time as well, but the second time was a cinch.
If by cinch you actually mean "maddening, tedious and annoying" that's spot on!!

I stopped playing MP3 for a bit to play H3, I came back to it and quickly arrived at this boss...it's easy in concept, but not so much in execution. A bit much for an early boss. I FINALLY got to what is supposedly the final stage of this boss and
Spoiler:
he was able to get one of the red orbs and restored one of the ones in his chest....and I nearly threw the controller!!
Thank god for the reinforced strap!!!
Old 11-05-07, 03:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that had problems with Mogenar. My problem was that I think I missed an energy tank somewhere and switching to Hyper mode put me on death's door every time so I'd have to spend 10 minutes collecting powerups to get safe again.
Old 11-05-07, 04:03 PM

I would say Mogenar is the hardest boss in the game, odd because he's about half-way through.
Spoiler:
Even if you have every energy tank up to that point, there's only room for one mistake, which means you really have to be cognicent of the power-ups that drop.

It took me a few tries to realize that I could take out the eyes with the phazon one at a time -- I didn't have to disable them all using the normal weapons first. Once I changed my strategy it was a lot easier.
Old 11-05-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
If by cinch you actually mean "maddening, tedious and annoying" that's spot on!!

I stopped playing MP3 for a bit to play H3, I came back to it and quickly arrived at this boss...it's easy in concept, but not so much in execution. A bit much for an early boss. I FINALLY got to what is supposedly the final stage of this boss and
Spoiler:
he was able to get one of the red orbs and restored one of the ones in his chest....and I nearly threw the controller!!
Thank god for the reinforced strap!!!
What if I use this strategy?:
- can't find the spoiler tag

Take out 1 orb completely, bomb, repeat 1 at a time. If the orb is completely blown out can he replace it?

Last edited by parrotheads4; 11-05-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-05-07, 04:18 PM

Do spoilers like this:
HTML Code:
[spoiler]Dumbledore is gay![/spoiler]
Originally Posted by parrotheads4
What if I use this strategy?:

Spoiler:
Take out 1 orb completely, bomb, repeat 1 at a time. If the orb is completely blown out can he replace it?
Spoiler:
No, he can't replace it once it's completely gone; the strategy is a good one (see my post right above yours)
Old 11-05-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Do spoilers like this:
HTML Code:
[spoiler]Dumbledore is gay![/spoiler]
Spoiler:
No, he can't replace it once it's completely gone; the strategy is a good one (see my post right above yours)
Spoiler:
Thanks, and Thanks
Old 11-23-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so I beat Mogenar a couple days after I posted. Once you know what to do/how to do - it's easy. I almost feel stupid.
Old 12-21-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished the game last night. I really enjoyed it. I think it captured the Metroid atmosphere better than any other game in the series. The artwork is outstanding. I can't say enough about the controls. They are perfect for 1st person games. At the end of the game it tells you how long you played. I played for 23.4 hours. At $49.99 that's an entertainment bargain.
Old 12-21-07, 12:07 PM

I got a copy of MP3 during the b2g1 sale at tru but am not sure I should keep it. I still haven't played MP1 or MP2 and I own both =/
Old 12-22-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Krayzie
I got a copy of MP3 during the b2g1 sale at tru but am not sure I should keep it. I still haven't played MP1 or MP2 and I own both =/
I haven't played the others but this one is awesome. It's exactly what a first person shooter should be on the Wii. You should also be able to get a good 30+ hours of gameplay out of it.
Old 02-05-08, 10:40 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Ok, after basically giving up on this game after reaching Mogenar....I....FINALLY.....BEAT THE B@5TARD!!!!

It's not like it was actually hard to do, just so darn time consuming. I mean, really, why put such a frustrating boss so early???

Of course, playing this game again makes me wonder why (aside from Mario Galaxy) other games don't look AT LEAST this good on the Wii!?!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 02-05-08 at 10:42 PM.