Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

For the poor souls who couldn't get a PS3/Wii at launch - restock rumors/facts HERE

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

For the poor souls who couldn't get a PS3/Wii at launch - restock rumors/facts HERE

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time does Best Buy open this Sunday?
Old 11-24-06, 08:29 PM

a best buy employee was %100 confident they (costa mesa) were going to have 60 wii's available on sunday 11/26.

i camped out this morning since 11:30pm turkey day at a game stop that only had 1 ps3 60gb, and 8 wii's (course we didn't know this till 6am). i would of had a wii if these two jerks didn't cut in line at the last second claiming to be 'friends' with the #1 guy in line. (they had to have paid him off) the scene was ugly after we, called them on it. i hope they got defective units.
Old 11-24-06, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mljones99
sorry i misread the holiday hours sign. 10am.

Last edited by spinning plates; 11-25-06 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Some random uninformed employee said they were getting no more Wiis until 2007.

Idiot.
Old 11-25-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,036 Likes on 820 Posts
Originally Posted by mljones99
most will be open at 10 am, though it varies by location... specifically:

Extended Holiday Store Hours : Sunday 10 AM – 8 PM // Monday through Thursday 10 AM – 10 PM // Friday through Saturday 10 AM – 11 PM // Store Hours may vary by location
Old 11-25-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinning plates
i would of had a wii if these two jerks didn't cut in line at the last second claiming to be 'friends' with the #1 guy in line. (they had to have paid him off) the scene was ugly after we, called them on it. i hope they got defective units.
That's awful. Same thing happened to me during the 360 launch. A bunch of jerks cut the line close to opening and I got screwed out of a 360. I don't know what I would have done if it happened to me a second time. So I know how you feel.
Old 11-25-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
What I find the most disturbing about this thread is "the quantities of available Wii's is not multiple of three".

I delivered all PS3/ Wii's by overnight delivery on the Wednesday before launch. Follow-up deliveries were by ground on Tuesday of this week. PS3 come in packs of two and Wii's in packs of three.

Whenever I hear or read that a place did not have a multiple of three, I know that someone on the inside has had their hand in the cookie jar.
best buy claims thyey hold back 1-2 from each shipment for returns.
Old 11-25-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by spinning plates
a best buy employee was %100 confident they (costa mesa).
You might not wanna hear this, but since you're in the same general vicinity as me, the Toys R Us in Tustin had Wiis on hand today from when they opened up to about 3:00pm. And it was pretty easy getting in and out of the store considering it was Black Friday.
Old 11-25-06, 06:58 AM

As someone else asked, is there a Utility on the inernet showing how many units you closest BB or TRU is getting in? LIke to know before I make the 1 1/2 drive tomorrow morning only to find nothing.
Old 11-25-06, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brewc
As someone else asked, is there a Utility on the inernet showing how many units you closest BB or TRU is getting in? LIke to know before I make the 1 1/2 drive tomorrow morning only to find nothing.
www.ps3seeker.com or www.ps3seeker.com/wii
Old 11-25-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
A friend of mine nabbed a Wii at TRU last night around 5pm. One of the remaining two. Apparently they never hit the shelf, they had to ask for one.
Old 11-25-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I havent been able to find a Wiimote since launch. And I am officially never going to EB games ever again. I'm sick of the snobby loser nerds that act like I'm a giant moron for asking if they had any Wiimotes in stock.
Yeah, I hate those pricks... I have no doubt they dont have them, but I'm still going to ask, because 1) you never know and 2) its a good way for me to start the conversation about when they might be getting any in. My problem is that no one seems to know. If I acted like that at my company, I would be fired immediately.
Old 11-25-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
most will be open at 10 am, though it varies by location... specifically:

Extended Holiday Store Hours : Sunday 10 AM – 8 PM // Monday through Thursday 10 AM – 10 PM // Friday through Saturday 10 AM – 11 PM // Store Hours may vary by location
That's very disappointing...I could've sworn my local BB was open at 8:00 AM. Called to confirm, and it's 10...so there's two more hours in line.

What time do you all plan on lining up? I'm going to start driving by around 11PM, and the first time I see someone waiting, I'll be there.
Old 11-25-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,036 Likes on 820 Posts
I just want one before Xmas, and hear rumors they'll be available in abundance the first week of December (note: Rumor. Which, on that note, is a rumor.) So I may swing by, maybe 30 minutes before opening like I did w/ the 360.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-25-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-25-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I just want one before Xmas, and hear rumors they'll be available in abundance the first week of December (note: Rumor. Which, on that note, is a rumor.) So I may swing by, maybe 30 minutes before opening like I did w/ the 360.
You're not going to get one at 30 minutes before opening, if you're going to somewhere that's advertising them.

I WISH I could do that with Best Buy tomorrow...but alas, I will be freezing all night instead.
Old 11-25-06, 11:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, there's one left (as of 9 AM) in the Baton Rouge Toys R Us. The bad thing is that you have to buy a Wii with a warranty bundle, so it's around 300 bucks or so. Then, I picked up Madden and Zelda, along with three gloves (after seeing all the slipping stories, I thought better be safe than sorry), and two controllers and nunchucks. Total cost, roughly $575-600. Yikes. But, it's my (self-employed) company's Christmas bonus to me. Now, let's fire it up and see how fun it is!
Old 11-25-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped at two Fry's and a toys r us today, and when I asked each person if they had any wii's in stock they had to fight back laughter. I'll try driving up to best buy at 930 tomorrow, if there's a big line I'll continue my vigilant wait at home.
Old 11-25-06, 01:32 PM

I read posts like yours Matt and I wonder how people can even fool themselves into believing that this has been a good launch, let alone to proclaim it loudly and belittle those who disagree with them.

I don't think ANY video game companies have figured it out yet. They want to play this stupid little game each time and pretend like things will be simple, but they always find a way to screw it up.
Old 11-25-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkboy
I read posts like yours Matt and I wonder how people can even fool themselves into believing that this has been a good launch, let alone to proclaim it loudly and belittle those who disagree with them.

I don't think ANY video game companies have figured it out yet. They want to play this stupid little game each time and pretend like things will be simple, but they always find a way to screw it up.
My opinion is they simply target release date much too soon. AT the beginning of development of the system, I'm sure they have target dates for testing, manufacturing, etc. One would hope comapnies are rational enough to realize there will always be delays, but more and more these days companies are pushing stuff out the door as soon as possible. It happens all the time with computer software and hardware.

If the launch has to be done this early in the manufacturing process, why not target that for the summer? That way the die-hards get it first, but parents and others can wait for the second big wave in time for the holidays.

I'm sure I'm being naive, but that would seem to make sense to me.
Old 11-25-06, 01:52 PM

Beautiful Bunkaroo! That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have seen far too many parents freezing their rear ends off all night in order to get "the perfect gift" only to have some college punks let their buddies in line and the parent misses out.

Meanwhile you have 10,000 of the systems on ebay. Where are all of those coming from? Hmmmmm.......

The diehards are going to get theirs I guess. I just feel bad for the kids who miss out due to poor planning on the part of Nintendo and other manufacturers. Or the parents end up getting it, but have to put a house payment down in order to buy it from some sleaze who had a pal on the inside who sold them 12 systems.

I guess kids just need to learn that it isn't all that important, but the way things are going worldwide we are setting kids up to be disappointed and that sucks.
Old 11-25-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
best buy claims thyey hold back 1-2 from each shipment for returns.
Thats so kind of them hold back ~5-10 percent of their inventory for returns. I guess that no one knows that they could virtually flip one off/on-line for a profit for short time. So, it must be ~5-10 percent failure rate. Better buy an extended warranty through Best Buy. Its been reported that Nintendo is doing an advanced exchange for defective Wii's, I would bank more on Nintendo replacing a defective Wii before Best Buy.

EDIT: DVDKrayzie, just wanted to clarify that this was not met directly for your comment but a jacka** that would tell some that they keep inventory on hand to cover returns instead saling.

Last edited by Just Lurking; 11-25-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-25-06, 01:57 PM
Retired

There is no such thing as a good launch now that gaming is mainstream. Nintendo simply fucked this up less than Sony or MS, and that's the best we can hope for.

You are never going to see a launch with the few million consoles it would take to satisfy all those that want one around launch as they'd never make their release date, nor stick to the 5 year window between consoles.

And again, preorder is your friend for console launches. People said it was pointless, and I usually agree, but I waited for a bit over an hour on the day Gamestop took them and waltzed in on the 19th and picked it up with no problems.
Old 11-25-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see people saying that they are waltzing into stores but I have yet to ever see anyone actually do it.
Old 11-25-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
Thats so kind of them hold back ~5-10 percent of their inventory for returns. I guess that no one knows that they could virtually flip one off/on-line for a profit for short time. So, it must be ~5-10 percent failure rate. Better buy an extended warranty through Best Buy. Its been reported that Nintendo is doing an advanced exchange for defective Wii's, I would bank more on Nintendo replacing a defective Wii before Best Buy.

EDIT: DVDKrayzie, just wanted to clarify that this was not met directly for your comment but a jacka** that would tell some that they keep inventory on hand to cover returns instead saling.

yea i dunno this was straight from the manager's mouth last year when i camped overnight for the 360. Unlike Target this year with their PS3 allotment (they never gave us a "firm" count) he came out the night before and straight up told us the deal--"We have 62 in stock but are holding back 1 premium and 1 core in case someone needs to return a defective one, so we are only handing out 60 tickets."
Old 11-25-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Beautiful Bunkaroo! That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have seen far too many parents freezing their rear ends off all night in order to get "the perfect gift" only to have some college punks let their buddies in line and the parent misses out.

Meanwhile you have 10,000 of the systems on ebay. Where are all of those coming from? Hmmmmm.......
Try again. There aren't 10,000 Wii systems on ebay.

How many systems do YOU think are enough to launch? How long do you think it will take to manufacture that many? How about the expense of warehousing those number of units for the duration of the manufacturing phase? How much stock space do you think places like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. have to house 100's of units for launch?

Have you given any thought to it beyond, "Everyone who wants one should be able to walk in and buy one on launch day"?

The diehards are going to get theirs I guess. I just feel bad for the kids who miss out due to poor planning on the part of Nintendo and other manufacturers. Or the parents end up getting it, but have to put a house payment down in order to buy it from some sleaze who had a pal on the inside who sold them 12 systems.
Yeah, won't anyone think of the children?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.