Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

For the poor souls who couldn't get a PS3/Wii at launch - restock rumors/facts HERE

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

For the poor souls who couldn't get a PS3/Wii at launch - restock rumors/facts HERE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The EB Games near me had both the Wii and PS3 (20GB only) in stock yesterday and they were selling them instead of holding them for Friday which is what I think they were supposed to do. However at closing they still had a few of each. Anyone that really wants a system should just hit EB on Friday morning since I think they are all going to have a few in the morning. I'm not interested and Ebay is already overwhelmed with PS3s so I passed on both.
Old 11-23-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Supposedly GameCrazy will be getting in shipments of Wiis (or is holding them back) for tomorrow.
Old 11-23-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boston george
Best Buy in Indianapolis has Wii's in stock right now. but they aren't selling them until opening (5am) Black Friday. I was told by management that they had "plenty". I'm gona show up about 8hrs. before open.
That's odd, considering their ad specifically states they'll have them on Sunday.

Maybe they're holding some back for Sunday. Either way, I'm not camping until Sunday...especially since I know for sure they'll have them then.
Old 11-24-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to give Best Buy a shot for the Wii in a few hours since I won't be able to go on Sunday. If I strike out I may go to Gamestop.
Old 11-24-06, 06:03 AM
Mok

Stopped off at Target they didn't have either console in stock.
Old 11-24-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was 5th in line at EB this morning and they had only 4 Wiis.

You know, it wasn't like this when we bought NES... SNES... blah!

Last edited by nightwing82; 11-24-06 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-24-06, 08:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by nightwing82

Back then you didn't the greed and resellers you do now.
Old 11-24-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
...or the internet in general.
Old 11-24-06, 11:39 AM
Retired

...and gaming was still a niche market back then where as it's a huge mainstream industry today.
Old 11-24-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Went by an EB Games early this morning, but they were all sold out of Wiis again. According to the guy I chatted with, they've only gotten 4 or 5 more Wiis than PS3s in each shipment.

Oh well. I'm going on vacation for a week and I'll try to get one when I get back.
Old 11-24-06, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82

I was 6th in line and my EB only got 5!
Old 11-24-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I was 6th in line and my EB only got 5!
I feel your pain my friend. My cousin was 11th in line and his only got 6.
Old 11-24-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We were 7th and they had 5 Wiis and 1 PS3.
Old 11-24-06, 02:45 PM

This whole thing is a joke. Either Nintendo is full of liars, or they are purposely screwing with people by holding back product in order to create some demand before they subsequently flood stores with Wiis.

How can you plan a product for nearly five years and then not have enough to go around? Pathetic.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it does create a lot of product buzz. It is creating some bad will with me and many others I know though. They come off looking as incompetent as Microsoft and Sony. I thought Nintendo was better than that.
Old 11-24-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkboy
This whole thing is a joke. Either Nintendo is full of liars, or they are purposely screwing with people by holding back product in order to create some demand before they subsequently flood stores with Wiis.
Huh? Based on the various online reports that I've read, of the 3 latest consoles (360, PS3, Wii), Nintendo has provided the most units for their respective launch. Even though the numbers vary from report to report, they are all consistent with that fact.

How can you plan a product for nearly five years and then not have enough to go around? Pathetic.
There's just so many systems a company can produce in a given timeframe.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it does create a lot of product buzz. It is creating some bad will with me and many others I know though. They come off looking as incompetent as Microsoft and Sony. I thought Nintendo was better than that.
If you think that Nintendo is looking as incompetent as MS and Sony, then I think that your disappointment is clouding your judgment. Nintendo hasn't hyped the Wii. On the contrary, Nintendo had attempted to DOWNPLAY any shortages by stating that there would be plenty of inventory available. Nintendo hasn't resorted to exaggerated claims and hyperbole to generate interest in the Wii.

What Nintendo could NOT predict was the self-driven consumer interest in the Wii. Just read the Wii threads in this forum. Wii owners surprised THEMSELVES that they (A) wanted one and (B) enjoy it as much as they do.
And without a doubt, during this long Thanksgiving holiday weekend, demand for the Wii will grow.

I understand your frustration and disappointment in not being able to purchase a Wii during the first week. But all things considered, the launch of the Wii has been the best of the 3. Pretty amazing for a system that has been brushed off as "simply a repackaged GameCube".
Old 11-24-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Nintendo is still shipping their systems at almost a 5:1 ratio compared to the PS3.
Old 11-24-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's hard to tell how many are directly going to gamers and what percentage go directly to ebay. I'm surprised nintendo and sony haven't considered contacting ebay and arranging some sort of freeze on all the new systems. Amazon doesn't have any marketplace ps3 or wiis and haven't since launch. They must be doing that for some reason. I guess Ebay is making too much off the outrageous ending prices.
Old 11-24-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I havent been able to find a Wiimote since launch. And I am officially never going to EB games ever again. I'm sick of the snobby loser nerds that act like I'm a giant moron for asking if they had any Wiimotes in stock.
Old 11-24-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I find the most disturbing about this thread is "the quantities of available Wii's is not multiple of three".

I delivered all PS3/ Wii's by overnight delivery on the Wednesday before launch. Follow-up deliveries were by ground on Tuesday of this week. PS3 come in packs of two and Wii's in packs of three.

Whenever I hear or read that a place did not have a multiple of three, I know that someone on the inside has had their hand in the cookie jar.
Old 11-24-06, 05:07 PM

That's interesting SRACER. I've seen 3 PS3's in stores for sale. I have seen zero, NONE, nada, nil, zilch Wii's. I have been looking too.

Stores like KMart ended up having 2 on launch day and none (zero, zilch, nada, zip) since. That isn't what we were told by Nintendo. They were talking about air shipments daily to retailers. Not even Target has restocked at this point and they are the "official" launch partner if I remember correctly.

In some places they had anywhere between 100 and 5,000 at launch. Others have had anywhere from zero units shipped to them still up to maybe 15. They also have no idea when they are going to get more.

I think that if you are going to try to appeal to a mass audience then maybe you should provide an item in the store so that the mass audience can go and actually purchase one without having to buy a billion dollar bundle or without having to stand outside for 2 days only to be told there is no product available. That is stupid and YES it does look exactly to me like the PS2 launch of several years ago and the XBox 360 launch of last year (at least a week in it sure smells like it).

Disagree if you want, but that is MY perception and that's what I'm talking about here. My perception. Yours is different. Fair enough, but it doesn't change what I and many others think.
Old 11-24-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not even Target has restocked at this point and they are the "official" launch partner if I remember correctly.
Toys R Us is.

Does anyone know where a utility might be found that states how many Wii units will be in each Best Buy on Sunday? I saw some of those last year for the 360.
Old 11-24-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
I was waiting until Sunday for the Best Buy thing, but at around noon today, I got a call from a friend who had just bought his Wii at the local ToysRUs (no lines, no waiting) - he said that even though everyone was buying one, they had PLENTY.

So I went down at around 1:00, and bought one very easily - they forced a bundle, which included only Zelda, and a $30 1-year service plan, but I was getting the Zelda anyways, and while Nintendo consoles are far more reliable than most, I've already heard of systems malfunctioning, so, whatever.
Old 11-24-06, 06:17 PM

No go again for me this morning, luckily I ended up oversleeping from a food coma and called Gamestop, of course they didn't have any . Something that is funny is how the "game specialty store" is the store that always receives the fewest consoles, or none. Its no wonder this type of store will be scarce or disappearing in the future. I'm going to have to settle for Best Buy this sunday, but hopefully the line won't be too long.
Old 11-24-06, 06:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I went to EB at 5:45 am for the 6 am open to get a Wii. Already 6 people there. So I'm number seven. The store opens and the guy pulls 5 Wiis out. Lucky for me, they also had two PS3s and two of the guys in front of me buy those instead of Wiis. So I get the last Wii, and watch my back on the way out of the mall because of the dozen angry shoppers in line behind me.
Old 11-24-06, 06:57 PM
Mok

I gave up all hope after waiting in freezing cold temperatures this morning and ending up with nothing but a runny nose. So Ebay here I come, this way I can finally get a goodnight sleep. Good Luck everyone and keep warm.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.