Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part V: Clever Subtitle

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I just got Rocket Slime for V's Day and I am about 9 hours into it. I really like this game. Have any of you guys tried the single card multiplayer?
Single card only lets you play a couple of the mini-games, not the tank battles.
Old 02-23-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm spending all my free time with Clubhouse Games lately that I have put aside playing Castlevania: POR, Lunar Knights, Hotel Dusk and Final Fantasy V and VI. I have a lot of catching up to do.
Old 02-24-07, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
once i got started (5 or so hours in) on the castlevania games, i completed them over the next day or two. such fun games.
Old 02-25-07, 07:51 PM

I picked up Meteos Disney Magic today and am really liking it. I 100%'d the first Meteos and was curious about this one. It's the same great game only you hold the DS book style and now you have the ability to slide the blocks horizontally as well as vertically. The Disney inspired levels each have their own physics, just like the planets of the last game and the characters add a little personality.
Old 02-25-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it as solid as Meteos was or is it more geared toward kids (or both)?
Old 02-26-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

6 hours into Lunar Knights and really enjoying it. Amazing how awesome and complex it is for a 2d adventure game. There's heaps to do with leveling your 2 characters up, finding items, enhancing your weapons. Also you can backtrack the old levels as much as you want, and uncover new areas. The production values are mind blowing for a ds game. There's even a space shooter component.

My main complaints at the moment is that there are a lot of menus, and they aren't 100% intuitive. Also I still have trouble remember what button does what (I think pretty much all of them are in play, along with occasional touch screen and mic use).
Old 02-26-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't even know the second version of meteos was out!

Old 02-26-07, 07:48 AM

The Disney Meteos game is as solid as the first. It is a little easier with the horizontal tiles but all in all it's still the same fun game. There is also a special abilities bar that fills up as you launch but you get a bonus for not using it so I don't. This game will be in my DS for quite a while though, there's TONS of unlockables.
Old 02-26-07, 07:54 AM

I was absolutely amazed by the original...

the problem i find is that most people don't want to take the time to get the hang of the game, which equates to no one wanting to play me
Old 02-26-07, 08:54 PM

I don't have meteos yet and it looks promising. You think i should get the original meteos or the disney version. The disney version looks cool withe the disney animation but i want to know where to start. Or should i get both, but i see it pointless to get both meteos.
Old 02-27-07, 02:32 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking for some DS or GBA games for a 14 hour plane ride. I know this has been asked before but new games have come out.

Also is there something that you can buy that charges the DS Lite, like an external battery you can plug into the place where you put the plug? Thanks!
Old 02-27-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Hey guys, I'm looking for some DS or GBA games for a 14 hour plane ride. I know this has been asked before but new games have come out.

Also is there something that you can buy that charges the DS Lite, like an external battery you can plug into the place where you put the plug? Thanks!
Final Fantasy VI should keep you occupied for that length.

I'd suggest getting a second battery.. have both fully charged before you leave and play at second or third brightness if you want to game for most of the trip. If you're going to Japan, let it be known that I hate you.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Li.../dp/B000H96ZFS
Old 02-27-07, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Outlaw

Depending on your plane and where you sit, but some have AV outlets (like lighter jacks. You could then use a car kit to charge the DS.

If they don't, I would play it with the brightness all the way down. You should be able to do well.

(PS. with a 14 hour flight, they should have AV jacks around, or you could just ask an attendant to charge it for you. (Do planes have regular power outlets?)
Old 02-27-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
afaik, the DS Lite should last 14 hours on the lowest setting. That thing is a trooper.

Hotel Dusk, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy VI (GBA), Lunar Knights, and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin are all lengthy games, and I've enjoyed em, HD is more an interactive novel, but it's a good one.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-27-07 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-27-07, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
afaik, the DS Lite should last 14 hours on the lowest setting. That thing is a trooper.

Hotel Dusk, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy VI (GBA), Lunar Knights, and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin are all lengthy games, and I've enjoyed em, HD is more an interactive novel, but it's a good one.
I just purchased that game (Hotel Dusk) but I wont start it until I finish PW: And Justice for All.
Old 02-27-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On the other hand.. the PSP lasts about 4 hours on any brightness setting and doesn't even have the courtesy to flash a red light at you to know you're low.. even though the power LED has two colors.

Yes, I lost an hour of a game last week.. must vent.
Old 02-27-07, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
On the other hand.. the PSP lasts about 4 hours on any brightness setting and doesn't even have the courtesy to flash a red light at you to know you're low.. even though the power LED has two colors.

Yes, I lost an hour of a game last week.. must vent.
The solution is easy. Trade in your PSP for an extra DS Lite.
Old 02-27-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd suggest getting a second battery.. have both fully charged before you leave and play at second or third brightness if you want to game for most of the trip. If you're going to Japan, let it be known that I hate you.
Wow I didn't know you could buy an extra battery for the ds. Pretty cool idea for someone who travels a lot.

From my experiences on flights, I usually like to have a range of activities at hand. Probably the most I can play even the most addictive handheld game is about 4 hours. So I'd recommend a laptop and some of your favourite videos, along with a book to read. And an mp3 player with your favourite podcasts and music of course!
Old 02-27-07, 12:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

So a friend popped in last week with his DS and showed me the M3 Simply cartridge.

Pretty damn cool stuff. He had all the popular titles: Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Super Mario, Cooking Mama, Hotel Dusk, Elite Beat Agents, Nintendogs, Phoenix Wright, Castlevania, Meteos, Trauma Center etc. all on one SD card plus some MP3's as well. Killer idea for taking the DS on long trips.
Old 02-27-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You of all should know to not promote such devices.

That said I have one of the microSD ones coming in (fits the DS slot, no GBA cart) for the same purpose (Travel). It is very convenient, but transferring save games is impossible .
Old 02-27-07, 01:46 PM

Final Fantasy VI should keep you occupied for that length.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Li.../dp/B000H96ZFS
Yes I am going to Japan

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ended up ordering an extra battery direct from nintendo since I'm kind of paranoid about using official stuff when it comes to hardware (memory cards ah!).

I've got Portrait of Ruin but haven't played it too much yet, nice to see its long. I'll try picking up HD if i can find it. And FFVI . I'm about half way through the 3rd case on Phoenix Write. Lunar Knights has looked interesting to me, i'll take a look at it.

Yeah i'm bringing my laptop as well as a book, i also can't play for such a long time especially on on a plane. I could probably play for hours in my home though. It has been a long time since i've been on such a long plane ride (last time was in sept. which was about 6 hours to vancouver).
Old 02-27-07, 02:32 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

You of all should know to not promote such devices.

That said I have one of the microSD ones coming in (fits the DS slot, no GBA cart) for the same purpose (Travel). It is very convenient, but transferring save games is impossible .
I realize it's a wide open door for piracy, but he owned every title. I was just enamored at the convenience and functionality. My main pet peeve about handhelds has always been carrying games around with me, otherwise being forced to play only one.
Old 02-27-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was just giving you a hard time
Old 02-28-07, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Wow, my DS library keeps growing and growing.

Within the past 2 weeks, I have purchased both Castlevanias, Trace Memory, Brain Age, NSMB, and Mario & Luigi.

Is $25 a good deal for Rocket Slime?
Old 02-28-07, 12:40 PM

id say thats pretty average. at that price, make sure its new/sealed

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.