World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Old 12-29-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Actually, most of the Cataclysm dungeons aren't tank/spank. They have gone back to making things complicated and even trash pulls having to do CC. The only exception is if people are geared well enough to just tank/spank through everything. Regardless of gear I don't think you could do it in the heroic dungeons though.
I've run most of the Cata dungeons on non-heroic, and they are definitely tank-and-spank. At least in every PUG I've done. With my hunter, at worst I just have to occasionally change positions to get out of an AOE. Otherwise, I stand there and bang through my rotation until the boss dies.

The bosses themselves are pretty neat and the levels are cool, but I have yet to see anything too different. But I know that the heroics are tougher, so maybe that opinion will change.
Old 12-29-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I've run most of the Cata dungeons on non-heroic, and they are definitely tank-and-spank. At least in every PUG I've done. With my hunter, at worst I just have to occasionally change positions to get out of an AOE. Otherwise, I stand there and bang through my rotation until the boss dies.

The bosses themselves are pretty neat and the levels are cool, but I have yet to see anything too different. But I know that the heroics are tougher, so maybe that opinion will change.
You are grossly simplifying things (or aren't doing your job properly). There are plenty of fights where you have to attack specific guys or jump on an add quickly. Also, you are DPS, so of course things are easier for you. You might not need to do any CC in the non-heroic's now, due to people being overgeared (yes, already), but you did back at launch, and definitely still need to in heroics.
Old 12-29-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
You are grossly simplifying things (or aren't doing your job properly). There are plenty of fights where you have to attack specific guys or jump on an add quickly. Also, you are DPS, so of course things are easier for you. You might not need to do any CC in the non-heroic's now, due to people being overgeared (yes, already), but you did back at launch, and definitely still need to in heroics.
I can think of only a few times where I've been instructed by the group to do anything but wail on the boss. I do whatever job they ask me to do, and except for a few exceptions, I'm shooting the main dude.

I'm just saying that, at least from what I've seen, the encounters don't seem to be quite as crazy as some of the ones I've done along the way. I don't really pay attention to dungeon and character names, but I definitely remember a lot of "run here, stand here, now shoot this guy and NOT THAT GUY, now everyone run to this side, now back to this side"...I just haven't seen much of that in the expansion.

And I'm well aware that DPS is easier. That's why I do it I've healed and tanked before and I just don't enjoy the pressure. I'm well aware of my limitations in the game and don't want to ruin other people's enjoyment through lack of ability.

Last edited by Draven; 12-29-10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is the boss in Blackrock Caverns that has 2 beams that the DPS need to block, but other than that, i cant think of any bosses that are too complex for DPSing. but i havent seen all the new instances yet.
Old 01-03-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

this dropped yesterday and I won the greed roll
http://thottbot.com/item=14513
of course my tailoring isn't high enough to make it yet
Old 03-29-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was wondering what people thought of Cata so far.

I myself play much less than I used to since i decided the wipefests that are pugging heroics are a waste of my time. I still raid on two characters so i have to log in and grind out some mats from time to time that I need for that.
Old 03-29-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I quit mid-January. Think I might finally be over WoW, since the new expansion barely kept me entertained for a month. Just feels too much like work, now. Grinding dungeons that people won't take seriously (lets pull as fast as possible) or TOO seriously (OMG all you noobs fuckin suck!) suck the fun right out of my evenings. And either I have to have 30 minute queues to play as DPS, or do tons of outside homework to be able to gear/spec my tank.

The thing I did like was leveling a toon and seeing all the new/redesigned zones. I thought they did a really good job with those. But after 6 characters leveled, I just don't have the strength any more.
Old 03-29-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My main character has now gotten about to the point where I stalled in Wrath - he's got most of the available pre-raid gear, has finished up the quests and the daily grinds, and the group I'm in has made a couple of attempts at Magmaw without success. I never did get much into raiding during Wrath, either. We'll see how it goes.

I started WoW during Wrath, but it does feel to me so far that Wrath had more content than Cata. I know they're still rolling out Cata content, but if it all ends up as raid-level content, I don't know that it will do me much good.

But at some point I do plan on rolling a new character to see how much was changed down in the pre-BC content. So I'll be with it for a little while still, regardless of what happens with my main.
Old 03-29-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still playing. getting my 5th character through the 80-85 grind. i'm getting a little tired of most of the quests now.
i havent seen the new raids. i get in a BH10 group each week to see what dps i can get on my mage (12.8K in ilevel 349 gear so far). i want to get my guild rep up to exalted since my guild unlocked the phoenix mount, but i'm stalling on that a little since it looks like guild rep will be easier next patch.
also some of my old WoW guildies came back from DC Universe so we started Worgens
Old 03-31-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

check you e-mail

I got on e-mail for 7 days of free game time
Old 04-01-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look up your toon on wowarmory today :P
Old 04-01-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Haven't played in weeks. Just don't care anymore.
Old 04-01-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blizzard really screwed up the whole PvP side. Some classes are so OP it is almost ridiculous.
Old 04-04-11, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Blizzard really screwed up the whole PvP side. Some classes are so OP it is almost ridiculous.
Welcome to the last 6 years. There's always a Flavor of the Month class that can kick everyone's ass for a while. Then they get nerfed and someone else gets buffed. And round and round we go...
Old 04-04-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Welcome to the last 6 years. There's always a Flavor of the Month class that can kick everyone's ass for a while. Then they get nerfed and someone else gets buffed. And round and round we go...
No matter what the flavor of the month, they always came back to the Huntards and Rogues. These 2 classes got more OP on both PvP and PvE than any other class through all the changes and "nerfs".
Old 04-09-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is anyone else getting bombarded by spam bots/hackers? I remember in game, the whispers about free mounts, and being investigated were awful, and then they calmed down.

Now, I get at least two emails a day about my account "being risk" or I need to verify my info. I feel sorry for the people that fall for this shit.
Old 04-11-11, 09:47 AM

I don't even have an active account and I get one or two emails a day telling me I sold it or it's been hacked.
Old 05-04-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They released the "new" ZA/ZG a bit ago. It was strange to be running ZA again after I had done it so much back in BC.

I must say it has not changed much. I was not really familiar with ZG since I did not raid in Vanilla and do not go back to rerun old raids really so I am not sure how much that changed at all.

Raiding has gotten much harder to do since our small guild seems to be losing raiders since we downed all the regular versions of raid bosses. We have only downed 2 heroic bosses and this week could not even get a 10 man group together.
Old 05-04-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

new ZG is a lot different. Back in vanilla i ran ZG a ton, so i knew it well. I never made it through all of ZA so the parts ive seen seem the same. the ZA/ZG instances are tough
Old 06-18-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Blizzard wanted more players screaming about things so they decided to slip a change in security into the game that bypasses your authenticator if Blizzard determines you are logging in from a trusted location.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2674529777

Up to six capped threads and working on the 7th as we speak.
Old 06-19-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
new ZG is a lot different. Back in vanilla i ran ZG a ton, so i knew it well. I never made it through all of ZA so the parts ive seen seem the same. the ZA/ZG instances are tough
I never experienced ZG back in the old days. I went in ZA a few times, lots of fun.

Are they both 5 man Heroics now? Good loot?
Old 06-19-11, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I never experienced ZG back in the old days. I went in ZA a few times, lots of fun.

Are they both 5 man Heroics now? Good loot?
The loot is 353 epics so they are pretty good loot. Not up to raid level of 359 but still very good.
Old 06-19-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I don't even have an active account and I get one or two emails a day telling me I sold it or it's been hacked.
heh- I get those e-mails on e-mail accounts I've never used for WoW.

-jason
Old 06-19-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gcribbs View Post
The loot is 353 epics so they are pretty good loot. Not up to raid level of 359 but still very good.
My brother-in-law just got back from Iraq and hasn't played WoW for a year. I haven't played since my son was born in April.

We're both looking forward to playing again. He hasn't experienced Cataclysm at all.
Old 06-20-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
My brother-in-law just got back from Iraq and hasn't played WoW for a year. I haven't played since my son was born in April.

We're both looking forward to playing again. He hasn't experienced Cataclysm at all.

You should have some fun. Pugs can be an issue since some players vote kick people for even little mistakes. Although if you can get guild groups it should be fun to revisit the ZA/ZG instances and for him to see the new zones.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.